Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by AreaLax »

Chris Jastrzembski twitter
There were plenty of candidates that were contacted by Ventura Partners, who is running the search. But there were 6 that received interviews via video call, all of them current head coaches.

Dan Chemotti
Peter Milliman
Mike Murphy
Shawn Nadelen
Greg Raymond
Seth Tierney

Out of that group, sources have told me that Chemotti and Nadelen are firm finalists for the job, along with one or two others. Those two are what many have viewed as the favorites from the start.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:08 pm Chris Jastrzembski twitter
There were plenty of candidates that were contacted by Ventura Partners, who is running the search. But there were 6 that received interviews via video call, all of them current head coaches.

Dan Chemotti
Peter Milliman
Mike Murphy
Shawn Nadelen
Greg Raymond
Seth Tierney

Out of that group, sources have told me that Chemotti and Nadelen are firm finalists for the job, along with one or two others. Those two are what many have viewed as the favorites from the start.
Tell you what, a Chemotti-Pietramala swap wouldn't be a bad outcome. Petro could really take UR to the next level.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:54 pm
AreaLax wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:08 pm Chris Jastrzembski twitter

Dan Chemotti
Peter Milliman
Mike Murphy
Shawn Nadelen
Greg Raymond
Seth Tierney

Tell you what, a Chemotti-Pietramala swap wouldn't be a bad outcome. Petro could really take UR to the next level.
Would be interesting.

I wonder if Petro is rooting for Nadelen and a fresh start for himself at Towson.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

No official statement. But word is that Scott Marr announced he is staying at Albany.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:43 pm No official statement. But word is that Scott Marr announced he is staying at Albany.
Can confirm. Marr is staying put
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Still going with Cassese until he’s ruled out. Fits the academic acumen of a top academic school from the PL, one of the few coaches with a player centric mentor on staff, academic navigation experience in recruiting, only negative..loves Bethlehem, but JHU provides a solid 5-7 years of stability.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:00 pm Still going with Cassese until he’s ruled out. Fits the academic acumen of a top academic school from the PL, one of the few coaches with a player centric mentor on staff, academic navigation experience in recruiting, only negative..loves Bethlehem, but JHU provides a solid 5-7 years of stability.
If you read between the lines I think the reports today pretty much rule him out.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:00 pm Still going with Cassese until he’s ruled out. Fits the academic acumen of a top academic school from the PL, one of the few coaches with a player centric mentor on staff, academic navigation experience in recruiting, only negative..loves Bethlehem, but JHU provides a solid 5-7 years of stability.
If you read between the lines I think the reports today pretty much rule him out.
You don't think Cassese is going to hold on at Lehigh until the Duke(his alma mater) job opens up?
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Chemotti or Murphy would be my bet. Would be happy with either of them.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:01 pm
You don't think Cassese is going to hold on at Lehigh until the Duke(his alma mater) job opens up?
IMO, lacrosse nepotism rules out Duke for Cassese.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:38 pm That said, it's super weird Marr hasn't been contacted. Perhaps he will be this week.

I maintain that this has always been Nadelen's job to lose no matter who the other candidates are.
IMO it's mildly surprising but not necessarily shocking if Marr wasn't really in consideration. I think you may have hit at least partly on the reason yourself. If there's any sense of a clean break and culture change being needed, Scott might have been seen as too closely personally connected to the old regime. You definitely don't want to be having a situation where your guy is trying to establish himself as the new sheriff in town and half the team is going "LOL Kyle's dad." I'm not saying that's necessarily fair or accurate but I can see the thought process.

I also think, on the broader scale, there's maybe a bit of a perception that Marr's success at Albany is a really impressive story, but so closely tied to certain site-specific factors -- the Native pipeline generally and the Thompsons in particular -- that it's just unclear how it would translate to another, very different kind of setting. Again, may or may not be fair, but I do think it's out there.

I do agree with you that Nadelen has likely been the heavy favorite from the start.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Not sure I have great reasons why, but I'm all in on Chemotti. Richmond seems like a balanced team - they can score some goals if they have to and I don't think Chemotti really cares how they win, as long as they do. Feel like Nadelen, given a choice, would very much prefer a 10-8 game to a 17-15 game. Not sure that mentality is the right one given the way the game's played these days. Chemotti also seems a little more flexible in his approach to dealing with players, whereas Nadelen seems like another hardass. Hard to assess who's a better recruiter - though getting Lanchbury to go to Richmond definitely counts as something of a coup. Nadelen has certainly pulled some great players out of nowhere, but not sure he'd be able to continue to do that at JHU given the differences between the institutions. And Chemotti would be an entirely fresh start, with no baggage at all.
a fan

Post by a fan »

If high scoring the goal? Gotta be Raymond. Hobart led D1 in scoring this year. Was 9th the year before.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 pm Not sure I have great reasons why, but I'm all in on Chemotti. Richmond seems like a balanced team - they can score some goals if they have to and I don't think Chemotti really cares how they win, as long as they do. Feel like Nadelen, given a choice, would very much prefer a 10-8 game to a 17-15 game. Not sure that mentality is the right one given the way the game's played these days. Chemotti also seems a little more flexible in his approach to dealing with players, whereas Nadelen seems like another hardass. Hard to assess who's a better recruiter - though getting Lanchbury to go to Richmond definitely counts as something of a coup. Nadelen has certainly pulled some great players out of nowhere, but not sure he'd be able to continue to do that at JHU given the differences between the institutions. And Chemotti would be an entirely fresh start, with no baggage at all.
Agree on Chemotti, though I don't think Nads is necessarily opposed to high scoring games, they just haven't had a whole lot of offensive talent to work with. Last season they finally had some guys and finished #17 in goals, scored 14 against GTown, 17 against Hopkins, 13 against Maryland, 18 on Delaware. Not sure how much Nads is involved on the offensive side of the ball anyway. A lot would depend on who he'd hire as offensive coordinator.

They are both excellent recruiters. Nads has done a great job identifying those local kids who fall through the cracks, but he's also done well in New England, Canada, and out in California. Chemotti has just found guys pretty much everywhere.
Homer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:13 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:38 pm That said, it's super weird Marr hasn't been contacted. Perhaps he will be this week.

I maintain that this has always been Nadelen's job to lose no matter who the other candidates are.
IMO it's mildly surprising but not necessarily shocking if Marr wasn't really in consideration. I think you may have hit at least partly on the reason yourself. If there's any sense of a clean break and culture change being needed, Scott might have been seen as too closely personally connected to the old regime. You definitely don't want to be having a situation where your guy is trying to establish himself as the new sheriff in town and half the team is going "LOL Kyle's dad." I'm not saying that's necessarily fair or accurate but I can see the thought process.

I also think, on the broader scale, there's maybe a bit of a perception that Marr's success at Albany is a really impressive story, but so closely tied to certain site-specific factors -- the Native pipeline generally and the Thompsons in particular -- that it's just unclear how it would translate to another, very different kind of setting. Again, may or may not be fair, but I do think it's out there.

I do agree with you that Nadelen has likely been the heavy favorite from the start.
It all makes sense I just don't get why the guy wouldn't at least get a courtesy call. Tierney is just as close to Petro and his resume as a head coach is not nearly as impressive as Marr's and yet he apparently got a call. Just seems like there's more to the story that we aren't privy to right now. Maybe it'll come to light at some point. In any case, the guys they have spoken to are all solid candidates.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I'm OK with Raymond too. Admit it's reactionary, but just don't want another defense first guy. I just want a change.

Feel like Towson's offense in 19 was more Gilardi's than Nads' (plus the out of nowhere development of Sunday). I know it was only 6 games, but this year's Towson offense was U G L Y, other than Koby's transition bombs.

If we get Nads and Michael Phipps as OC? OK, I'm in. Might also take John Crawley. Or Steele. But I need to know his OC right away.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:06 pm It all makes sense I just don't get why the guy wouldn't at least get a courtesy call. Tierney is just as close to Petro and his resume as a head coach is not nearly as impressive as Marr's and yet he apparently got a call. Just seems like there's more to the story that we aren't privy to right now. Maybe it'll come to light at some point. In any case, the guys they have spoken to are all solid candidates.
It's much easier for me to fathom why Scott Marr isn't on the shortlist than why Seth Tierney is. That said, two points:

1) In talking about Marr being potentially seen as too close to the old regime, I was really thinking of e.g. Xanders' reporting that he was literally, physically present around the program as much as practicably possible during Kyle's years on campus (2015-19). I think in terms of the sense of (dis)continuity for current players, that's just qualitatively quite different from, say, Tierney having worked for Petro way back when the current freshmen were in kindergarten.

2) I think you and I are on the same page about Tierney being a relatively terrible candidate for this position. I am also well aware that this board is not a representative sampling of anything that exists in reality. That said, I notice enough people cropping up on here saying "ooohh, Seth Tierney" that I am forced to concede that this is very likely a sentiment that exists to some extent on the Lacrosse Advisory Committee/club of big donors as well. In that context a courtesy interview is likely an absolute yes. I'm not sure the same bizarre sentiment exists around Scott Marr.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 pm I'm OK with Raymond too. Admit it's reactionary, but just don't want another defense first guy. I just want a change.

Feel like Towson's offense in 19 was more Gilardi's than Nads' (plus the out of nowhere development of Sunday). I know it was only 6 games, but this year's Towson offense was U G L Y, other than Koby's transition bombs.

If we get Nads and Michael Phipps as OC? OK, I'm in. Might also take John Crawley. Or Steele. But I need to know his OC right away.
Gilardi had been his OC for what, 5-6, 7 years by the time 2019 rolled around? It was Gilardi’s offense all the years where they weren’t so good either. Nads has always been a defensive guy and his teams absolutely played to that, but that was their strength. Easier to build a tremendous defense with great organization and physicality even if you don’t have the top dudes than it is to build an amazing offense if you aren’t getting the guys.

He’s a defensive coach, but he doesn’t strike me as an ideologue; however best his teams can win, they win.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Fully admit that my aversion to a defensive minded coach is emotional at this point. I reserve the right to change my mind if the next coach is a run and gun guy and we go 4-20 over the next two years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 pm I'm OK with Raymond too. Admit it's reactionary, but just don't want another defense first guy. I just want a change.

If Gilardi gets all the credit for the 2019 offense, shouldn’t he also be responsible for all their mediocre offenses before that year? Do agree that Nads’ OC would be important.

Another guy I’d be interested in besides Phipps, Stanwick, etc. is Steven Boyle at Drexel. One of the better young coordinators out there right now and just so happens to be an alum.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I can guarantee you Raymond is a defense first guy. He and his staff have been smart enough to realize they have a ton of talent on offense and let them loose. Coach Raymond was a AA LSM at Hop and learned a lot as a defensive coordinator at Princeton under Bill Tierney.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”