2018 Midterm Elections

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Re: 2018 Midterm Elections

Post by dislaxxic »

cradleandshoot wrote:That depends on what the congress does in the next 2 years. IMO it is about judges. You get as many of your men and women on the courts all over the nation that you can. That is where it really matters. It is the courts that decide where the country is headed. A judge in San Francisco just made a decision that effects the entire country with one temporary injunction. I don't think the congress or the senate could equal that type of power with just the stroke of a pen.
So what EXACTLY is it you think a rightwing SCOTUS will DO to "decide where the nation is headed"??

Slam the doors shut at the border?
Push the gays and the poor back into the shadows where they belong?
Advance corporate power so far that they become eligible to run for office? They are "people" after all.
Remove the right of choice for a woman over what EVER happens within the confines of her own skin?
Eliminate the right of the Average Joe to fight back against corporate injustice and depredation?
Give banks all the power they want?

People never manage to say exactly what it is they love about the idea of a rightwing judiciary. I suspect many don't have a real clue about what that means to day-to-day living.

Have a nice Turkey Day. Maybe a few of the folks around your dinner table would have some thoughts on this question. Ask your sister...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:That depends on what the congress does in the next 2 years. IMO it is about judges. You get as many of your men and women on the courts all over the nation that you can. That is where it really matters. It is the courts that decide where the country is headed. A judge in San Francisco just made a decision that effects the entire country with one temporary injunction. I don't think the congress or the senate could equal that type of power with just the stroke of a pen.
So what EXACTLY is it you think a rightwing SCOTUS will DO to "decide where the nation is headed"??

Slam the doors shut at the border?
Push the gays and the poor back into the shadows where they belong?
Advance corporate power so far that they become eligible to run for office? They are "people" after all.
Remove the right of choice for a woman over what EVER happens within the confines of her own skin?
Eliminate the right of the Average Joe to fight back against corporate injustice and depredation?
Give banks all the power they want?

People never manage to say exactly what it is they love about the idea of a rightwing judiciary. I suspect many don't have a real clue about what that means to day-to-day living.

Have a nice Turkey Day. Maybe a few of the folks around your dinner table would have some thoughts on this question. Ask your sister...

The flip side of that coin Dis is what does a Far Left leaning SCOTUS do? The job of the SCOTUS is suppose to be to interpret what the constitution says. You are scared to death that the righties are going to pee all over your FLP parade. Ironically the FRC are equally as scared that your FLP compadres are going to equally pee on their parade. I can paraphrase something John Roberts said during his confirmation hearing... sometimes the big guy wins and sometimes the little guy wins. Each and every case is different and whatever the decision made by the SCOTUS it should be determined by what the constitution says. If that is done to the best of the ability of the Supreme Court then that is justice being served.

As to whether you and I will not bicker endlessly about certain decisions it is the court doing what it is suppose to do. Sometimes you will disagree with them likewise I will as well. There is no way a left leaning or right leaning SCOTUS will ever please everyone. When they base their decision on what the constitution says as each justice interprets it... that is what their job is.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

So that sounds like your way of saying that there are no "Obama Judges" and no "Bush Judges" and no "Clinton Judges", they ALL just end up interpreting what the constitution says...do i have that right? They just call balls and strikes, is what you're trying to say. Trying, with a copious dose of sarcasm.

Since you had a hard time answering the question, let's try another one. Do YOU think the constitution says that corporations should be treated like "people" when it comes to rights under the constitution?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"The job of the SCOTUS is suppose to be to interpret what the constitution says."

Yeah, that's easy:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Congress shall have the power..."to make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or any Department or Officer thereof."

"When they base their decision on what the constitution says as each justice interprets it... that is what their job is."

Don't you see that part of the problem is that the Constitution doesn't really say enough to grapple with the issues in specific?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote:So that sounds like your way of saying that there are no "Obama Judges" and no "Bush Judges" and no "Clinton Judges", they ALL just end up interpreting what the constitution says...do i have that right? They just call balls and strikes, is what you're trying to say. Trying, with a copious dose of sarcasm.

Since you had a hard time answering the question, let's try another one. Do YOU think the constitution says that corporations should be treated like "people" when it comes to rights under the constitution?

Dis you keep finding sarcasm where none exists my yellow friend. I will answer your question with another one... does the constitution anywhere guarantee a woman the right to an abortion? I have read the document and I don't see it. That was decided by the SCOTUS calling ball and strikes. To go back to your question... no I don't think corporations should be treated like people. I also believe that there is no constitutional right that guarantees a womans right to an abortion. In these 2 cases and in many others the SCOTUS made decisions that opposing sides just can' t accept. You or I can piss and moan about any given decision the SCOTUS makes, but in the end that does not matter a hill of beans. The decision is what it is. There is only one option... deal with it and move on.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

seacoaster wrote:"The job of the SCOTUS is suppose to be to interpret what the constitution says."

Yeah, that's easy:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Congress shall have the power..."to make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or any Department or Officer thereof."

"When they base their decision on what the constitution says as each justice interprets it... that is what their job is."

Don't you see that part of the problem is that the Constitution doesn't really say enough to grapple with the issues in specific?

dont you see that part of the problem is that the Constitution doesn't really say enough to grapple with the issues in specific?

That is why the founding fathers gave us the remarkable ability to amend it when needed. Maybe that is a tool in the toolchest that should be used more often?
Bob Ross:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

i think the tryptophan is going to your head already C&S...it's YOU who always, ALWAYS says "Oh, Dis, I'm only being sarcastic" when i call out one of your frequent muddled screeds about ideology...but hey, whatever...just throw a little extra cranberry sauce on your turkey, my friend...that may help clear your head of the confusion that so often emanates from there... :lol:

CHEERS!

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote:i think the tryptophan is going to your head already C&S...it's YOU who always, ALWAYS says "Oh, Dis, I'm only being sarcastic" when i call out one of your frequent muddled screeds about ideology...but hey, whatever...just throw a little extra cranberry sauce on your turkey, my friend...that may help clear your head of the confusion that so often emanates from there... :lol:

CHEERS!

Nothing muddled in what I say Dis. It those FLP scrambled eggs between your ears that filters out what I am saying. :D I do understand that like Sheldon Cooper you have a very hard time understanding the concept of sarcasm. BTW our family had a great Thanksgiving. The tryptophan didn't start kicking in until around 7pm when I got home. One other point of clarification... nobody puts cranberry sauce on their turkey... you put gravy on your turkey and stuffing. Cranberry relish is squeezed onto the plate somehow. ;)
Bob Ross:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote:
dislaxxic wrote:i think the tryptophan is going to your head already C&S...it's YOU who always, ALWAYS says "Oh, Dis, I'm only being sarcastic" when i call out one of your frequent muddled screeds about ideology...but hey, whatever...just throw a little extra cranberry sauce on your turkey, my friend...that may help clear your head of the confusion that so often emanates from there... :lol:

CHEERS!

Nothing muddled in what I say Dis. It those FLP scrambled eggs between your ears that filters out what I am saying. :D I do understand that like Sheldon Cooper you have a very hard time understanding the concept of sarcasm. BTW our family had a great Thanksgiving. The tryptophan didn't start kicking in until around 7pm when I got home. One other point of clarification... nobody puts cranberry sauce on their turkey... you put gravy on your turkey and stuffing. Cranberry relish is squeezed onto the plate somehow. ;)
Love how you're so sure that "nobody puts cranberry sauce on their turkey". Just like you're so sure that everybody but Trumpists (and randy) are mistaken on every subject.

Re cranberry sauce, absolutely some people put cranberry sauce on or next to their turkey, with or without gravy. Personally, like you, I prefer it on the side, but lots of folks just pile their plates up with too much to fit, and the cranberry sauce ends up on the turkey (not on the mashed potatoes, green beans, etc.). And others actually prefer it directly on top, rather than gravy.

But today is when it is most predictable to marry cranberry sauce and your turkey. On that sandwich midday.

But are you a can or whole berry guy? That's the real controversy.
Our table features both, but it's interesting to see what folks choose...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Democrats seek rule change to formally allow hijabs, yarmulkes on House floor
The 1837 ban on covered heads hasn't been enforced on religious headwear in recent times, but the proposed amendment would create an explicit exemption.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... or-n938056

Democrats say they will add an exemption for religious headwear under their new package of rules changes for the next Congress, which begins in January, so that the protection of religious expression is explicit. The language will also cover someone wearing a head covering due to illness and loss of hair.

"Democrats know that our strength lies in our diversity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion,” said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., in a statement to NBC News. “After voters elected the most diverse Congress in history, clarifying the antiquated rule banning headwear will further show the remarkable progress we have made as a nation."

It will be recalled that Rev Robert Drinan of Massachusetts did not wear head cover though he did wear the Roman collar. The proposed rule change is long overdue.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:

CHEERS!

Love how you're so sure that "nobody puts cranberry sauce on their turkey". Just like you're so sure that everybody but Trumpists (and randy) are mistaken on every subject.

Re cranberry sauce, absolutely some people put cranberry sauce on or next to their turkey, with or without gravy. Personally, like you, I prefer it on the side, but lots of folks just pile their plates up with too much to fit, and the cranberry sauce ends up on the turkey (not on the mashed potatoes, green beans, etc.). And others actually prefer it directly on top, rather than gravy.

But today is when it is most predictable to marry cranberry sauce and your turkey. On that sandwich midday.

But are you a can or whole berry guy? That's the real controversy.
Our table features both, but it's interesting to see what folks choose...
On my families table regardless of political ideology no one puts cranberry sauce on their turkey. I do have to admit, I like ketchup on my scrambled eggs so I have to defer my opinion here on the lack of my own good judgement. :oops: To be fair there are recipes for turkey sandwiches that include cranberry sauce. I will have to investigate this further with some of yesterdays leftovers and report back. I only hope I don't have to find myself apologizing to Dis. The humility would be unbearable. :?
Bob Ross:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"The humility would be unbearable."

To paraphrase the Princess Bride, "I do not think it means what you think it means." Maybe humiliation?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Close enough for the Water Cooler. Autocorrect is a mother.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I put gravy (homemade, by me) on mashed potatoes only. I put cranberry sauce on the turkey. My specialty stuffing (cornbread stuffing mix without the spice packet, couscous, diced pears, dried cranberries, and apple cider are the main ingredients) is not diluted with anything.
DMac

Post by DMac »

seacoaster wrote:"The humility would be unbearable."

To paraphrase the Princess Bride, "I do not think it means what you think it means." Maybe humiliation?
I humbly submit that there aint no paraphrasing goin' on there, brotha. Nailed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIP6EwqMEoE
One of the bestest movies of all time.

A little cranberry on a bite of turkey is pretty tasty.
Gravy rules, no gravy and cranberry sauce on the same bite, it's either or. Combining is abusive and unappreciative of different and distinct flavours, and is subject to penalty. No whipped cream with your pumpkin pie. No herbs in your brownies either, those taste buds don't function well enough to fully appreciate its flavours enhancing qualities.
No brownies for you.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I will accept my humility/humiliation on this one. Tried some leftover cranberry relish on some of my wifes leftover turkey leg. It was okay, I will always prefer gravy. BTW our cranberry relish is different than most. Ground up cranberries with orange zest and orange juice with just enough sugar to mellow it out. I am willing to accept the fact that cranberry relish/sauce is okay on turkey. I bow to the huddled masses in abject humility/humiliation... :oops:
Bob Ross:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

In the days after Thanksgiving, we get out the hot sandwich press and, using stout sourdough bread, make a sandwich of the turkey, stuffing, cranberry and sliced up onions, maybe add a little mayonnaise. The tart bite of the cranberry is one of the best parts of the melange.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote:In the days after Thanksgiving, we get out the hot sandwich press and, using stout sourdough bread, make a sandwich of the turkey, stuffing, cranberry and sliced up onions, maybe add a little mayonnaise. The tart bite of the cranberry is one of the best parts of the melange.
Yum.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

seacoaster wrote:In the days after Thanksgiving, we get out the hot sandwich press and, using stout sourdough bread, make a sandwich of the turkey, stuffing, cranberry and sliced up onions, maybe add a little mayonnaise. The tart bite of the cranberry is one of the best parts of the melange.
You had me after sourdough... :D I will have to expand my horizons a bit. That sandwich sounds awesome. IMO you could put an old shoe between 2 pieces of sourdough and it would be delicious.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”