All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

a fan

Re: Trump Lied About the World Health Organization

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:09 pm Thanks a fan, I'm taking you more "seriously" now :D
I live to serve. ;)

...and again, I ignore most of his posts. Don't mistake this as me giving him a pass.

I feel ok saying this, and that it's not a personal attack because he's admitted that DocB is a character...I cannot stand DocB the internet character. And I'm sure as heck not alone on that count.
tech37

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by tech37 »

The irony is, no matter how inept the Trump haters claim he is/has been with this pandemic, he and his peops are putting in a gallant effort and the majority of voters will recognize that because it's a matter of life or death and we're all in this together.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:08 pm Nah, that's what we have national intelligence agencies for. We don't have states doing this.

And the IC knew. And Trump knew.
US intel has the exact numbers of dead? Or heck, within a reasonable range?

I'd wager they don't.

And yes, we ALL assumed they are lying. But again: in what world does that give them a pass?

And again, if it was a EU nation reporting the real carnage in real time, with real media cameras? I believe that would have been ENORMOUSLY helpful. Its really difficult to picture what a pandemic looks like....

Agree to disagree. Let's move on...
no, certainly the IC wouldn't have "exact numbers". I'd wager China doesn't either. This thing hit them hard and fast and it overwhelmed them. People were scared to come in, died at home.

But our IC knew that at each stage of the spread and the reaction to it. I would think they'd know certainly within some range of accurate. I'd bet the reality could be as much as an order of magnitude higher than they reported, but that would be in the far outer range. More likely 2X.

But then they did indeed choke it hard.

But we actually do agree that if our western cameras had been watching the carnage in real time the American public would have reacted sooner, demanding action. That said, I don't think the reaction of the American public would have been nearly the same with those same film in China as we would of countries with which we are more familiar.

But where we may still disagree is whether Trump blew it.
IMO, he was told what was coming and didn't listen, indeed he actively fought against the reality and worsened the reaction.
Still is.

Is it that he's simply stupid and venal? Partly.
Partly he's been so fixated on his trade war with China, both creating enormous tension and suspicion, serious worsening of the relationship (part of why Trump pulled the scientists last summer), and then his desperation to announce a 'win' coming off the impeachment process. Pinballing back and forth.

Bottomline, he actively worked against a more urgent reaction to the coming wave. Doc says things in some extreme ways, but Trump's 'leadership' on this cost lives and trillions of dollars.

None of that lets China off the hook for their errors.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:48 pm The irony is, no matter how inept the Trump haters claim he is/has been with this pandemic, he and his peops are putting in a gallant effort and the majority of voters will recognize that because it's a matter of life or death and we're all in this together.
There are indeed many, many people making gallant efforts. Truly heroic, others self sacrificing.

Sorry, there's nothing about Trump that can be accurately called 'gallant'.

I do think he's playing a lot less golf. A lot less.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:04 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:48 pm The irony is, no matter how inept the Trump haters claim he is/has been with this pandemic, he and his peops are putting in a gallant effort and the majority of voters will recognize that because it's a matter of life or death and we're all in this together.
There are indeed many, many people making gallant efforts. Truly heroic, others self sacrificing.

So there you go... in your own strange way you've stumbled upon a relative fact. He and everyone else is trying.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:31 pm I took it seriously & feared it would arrive here eventually when I saw this.

When I drove my wife to BWI on Jan 18 for her flight to FL, I told her I was glad we had a car down there because she'd probably need to drive back home, ...which she did, a month later.

I began social distancing & avoilding public gatherings as soon as the first case popped in the US.
Right. Good call. You were 'early' as a regular US citizen, but you're more in tune than the average bear.

It still felt a long way away, but it was obvious that it was a crisis. The lockdown of Wuhan at gunpoint, families being separated, the cancelling of all travel for their biggest annual holiday, the drones in the sky. The announcement of community spread. All of which during January.

The death of the whistleblower doctor on Feb 7 was huge shock on Chinese social media. Young man. That was the point at which the government knew they could not control their population with force alone. Xi's survival as ruler was actually in question for a few heartbeats, but the firing of 3,000 bureaucrats and tightening the lock within the Party quickly quelled that possibility.

But the social media has not let up on watching what's happening at all of the hospitals, each case is getting attention. The government has allowed that though they could have eliminated it. It served their purpose. Had it not, we know they have pretty complete control.

a lot to not like about that system!

But we knew, or at least those we entrust to know, knew.

And we had our first cases, including community spread, identified in January.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:14 pm

So there you go... in your own strange way you've stumbled upon a relative fact. He and everyone else is trying.
"trying"...he's indeed very present on TV and twitter.
Keeps calling on OAN...pretty gal.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:01 pm
Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm That is 27 NYPD employee deaths. Only one was a police officer and 5 were detectives.
Right. You're ignoring how many in the NYPD have the virus, and ignoring where it is you think the non-police employees got the virus....
Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm You don't seem calm; you are writing rather long posts with a lot of sentimental crapola in them.
I'm distilling hand sanitizer and have time to write today while the pots run.

Sentimental crapola? Says the guy who was wrapping himself in the flag, quoting the parts of the Declaration of Independence that he likes, and whining about his freedoms being taken away.... Pot, meet kettle.

I've tried to help you see the big picture, and you don't want to hear it....so ignore me. I have ZERO power over your life. Write your governor and stop complaining to the people who can't address your complaints.
You sound rather livid. :lol:
Live Free or Die!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:24 pm

You're a lost cause.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:01 pm
Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm That is 27 NYPD employee deaths. Only one was a police officer and 5 were detectives.
Right. You're ignoring how many in the NYPD have the virus, and ignoring where it is you think the non-police employees got the virus....
Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm You don't seem calm; you are writing rather long posts with a lot of sentimental crapola in them.
I'm distilling hand sanitizer and have time to write today while the pots run.

Sentimental crapola? Says the guy who was wrapping himself in the flag, quoting the parts of the Declaration of Independence that he likes, and whining about his freedoms being taken away.... Pot, meet kettle.

I've tried to help you see the big picture, and you don't want to hear it....so ignore me. I have ZERO power over your life. Write your governor and stop complaining to the people who can't address your complaints.
You sound rather livid. :lol:
He probably has “TDS.” It's an all purpose explanation.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Trump putting in a gallant effort that the majority of voters will recognize? I don’t think so.

First of all, you are looking at the scoreboard and thinking the game is over. I think we are in the third or fourth inning. Sixth at the latest. Let’s see how things go through the summer and into the early fall.

It won’t surprise you that I don’t think anything Trump has done is “gallant.” He shut down the White House pandemic office which has crippled our ability to respond to this crisis. While much of this information is still in the process of being uncovered by the press and revealed to the public, Trump had clear signals by January at the latest that the virus was potentially a very serious threat to the United States. At a minimum, at that point he should have been ordering manufacturers to make masks, PPE, and generators.

Most critically, he should have been pushing efforts to develop and manufacture quick, reliable tests instead of blaming Obama for not making tests for a virus that wasn’t discovered until nearly 3 years after he left office. He is still, on April 19, not doing enough in this regard. He should have implemented the DPA at least many weeks ago to require that machines and test kits be manufactured as fast as humanly possible.

Instead of calling the virus a hoax, he should’ve been a leader in urging Americans to take the virus seriously, engage in physical distancing, and all of the other behavioral changes that have proved to be necessary.

And now he is fomenting disruption in the country by staging these Trump rallies.

He understands that his chances of reelection are now in the toilet and that his only hope is to somehow magically get the economy back on track. But that simply isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

He’s toast and he knows it. That’s why you are seeing all the erratic behavior from him at the press conferences.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:24 pm

You're a lost cause.
A lost cause with TDS?

Man I wish he wasn't such a jerk, I wish he was more competent, but if a frog had wings...
tech37

Post by tech37 »

njbill wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:34 pm
Trump putting in a gallant effort that the majority of voters will recognize? I don’t think so.

First of all, you are looking at the scoreboard and thinking the game is over. I think we are in the third or fourth inning. Sixth at the latest. Let’s see how things go through the summer and into the early fall.

It won’t surprise you that I don’t think anything Trump has done is “gallant.” He shut down the White House pandemic office which has crippled our ability to respond to this crisis. While much of this information is still in the process of being uncovered by the press and revealed to the public, Trump had clear signals by January at the latest that the virus was potentially a very serious threat to the United States. At a minimum, at that point he should have been ordering manufacturers to make masks, PPE, and generators.

Most critically, he should have been pushing efforts to develop and manufacture quick, reliable tests instead of blaming Obama for not making tests for a virus that wasn’t discovered until nearly 3 years after he left office. He is still, on April 19, not doing enough in this regard. He should have implemented the DPA at least many weeks ago to require that machines and test kits be manufactured as fast as humanly possible.

Instead of calling the virus a hoax, he should’ve been a leader in urging Americans to take the virus seriously, engage in physical distancing, and all of the other behavioral changes that have proved to be necessary.

And now he is fomenting disruption in the country by staging these Trump rallies.

He understands that his chances of reelection are now in the toilet and that his only hope is to somehow magically get the economy back on track. But that simply isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

He’s toast and he knows it. That’s why you are seeing all the erratic behavior from him at the press conferences.
Some of what you're saying is indeed valid, but you're smarter than the average voter. I'm trying to view this from the average/moderate/indie voter. By now many expect/are used to and accept Trump's erratic behavior.

Toast? Lightly browned perhaps (or at least orange :D )...a lot can/will happen before Nov.
Last edited by tech37 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 pm You sound rather livid. :lol:
No, I'm all good. Enjoying the extra family time...and like you, missing lacrosse.
jhu72

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:58 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:39 am
Again, when are you going to change the racist and xenophobic title of this thread?

DocBarrister
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... times.html

And from a liberal progressive icon

"Sorry, Americans. We're going to have to ask you to keep two ideas in your head at the same time: This has nothing to do with Asian Americans, and it has everything to do with China," Bill Maher concluded. "We can't afford the luxury anymore of nonjudginess towards a country with habits that kill millions of people everywhere because this isn't the first time. SARS came from China and the bird flu and the Hong Kong flu, the Asian flu. Viruses come from China just like shortstops come from the Dominican Republic. If they were selling nuclear suitcases at these wet markets, would we be so nonjudgmental?"
There is no evidence the virus came from the wet market. The earliest cases in China did not come from Wuhan. The earliest cases in Wuhan were in people who had not shopped in the wet market. The wet market is no different from the parade in NY, Mardi Gras, Florida spring break, and the cruise ships. Places that spread the virus - not the genesis of the virus.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
njbill

Post by njbill »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:54 pm Toast? Lightly browned perhaps (or at least orange :D )...a lot can/will happen before Nov.
:lol: Maybe slathered with marmalade.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

njbill wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:12 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:54 pm Toast? Lightly browned perhaps (or at least orange :D )...a lot can/will happen before Nov.
:lol: Maybe slathered with marmalade.
Pass the jallly...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:34 pm

if everything was so obvious, the market would not have been at all time highs after mid february.

it would not have been over 3100 on march 4 as joe won super tuesday.

jjoe & bernie wouldn't have been campaigning a week or 2 later, drawing crowds, primaries as normal,
no precautions, having to have governors shut down rallies. the democrats don't have a win here on anything other than the results of how this plays out. and it's playing out with unpredictable outcomes by the week.

perceived good outcome? trump.
perceived bad outcome? biden. no way of knowing right now. media of course will influence.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

NEW: More than a dozen U.S. personnel at the WHO, many from the CDC, transmitted real-time information about Covid-19's discovery and spread in China to the Trump administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html

Everything Trump says is a lie.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You missed the tearing apart of that article this morning.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”