Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu72

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:35 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:07 am Good chronology Wombat. You can’t hit everyone of them but you got most of them.

This is personal and it is Daniels. They fired the entire coaching staff including the kid who was managing lax operations.

Recall the rolling suspension year when Daniels wanted to cancel the season but was forced to back down and accept rolling suspensions? Quote from Daniels “who is running this university Petro or me?”. Actually he used the full name. As Wombat said there are a lot of bread crumbs. This was never about record and never about sports in general imo. There is a big difference between running a national title caliber D-1 program and D-llll programs. Daniels stopped investing in the program. Admission standards were raised and it became far more difficult to get in players than anytime in the past. Hopkins didn’t have the money to give out a lot of financial aid until the Bloomberg gift. Once it did we started getting better recruits. Daniels prevented the bubble from being built. There is no one left in the administration to nurture the program. It’s the reason Tierney left Princeton. DP had a 5 year contract that expired. Calder was moved out a few years ago. That was an enormous red flag. The minute the contract ended DP was let go.Hopkins has never had the situation where the President did not place high value in the program. Not Eisenhower or Muller or Bill. There
is no one left at the university to champion the program as it was championed in the past. No ties to the past. No one to stand up for it. The treatment they all got at the end was shabby and I am being kind.

There are no coaches left at a time when many of the best seniors are looking for a home. There are
blue chip recruits for 2021 and 2022Z. All those players will be in play now. I was pretty confident on a couple of seniors. No more. We have a few of ours entering the portal.

A national search? Please. Hopkins has never had to hire a search firm. Never. And it doesn’t know. The fact they did is revealing. Duh. The lacrosse advisory committee is pretty much window dressing at this point.

Some of the coaches I have seen mentioned as favored candidates do not get the same favorable reviews from some other coaches.

Within minutes of the announcement I got a call from a former first teamer whose son was a first teamer at another school whose first sentence was “What the heck is going on down there”

I was never intending to post again but oh well. The exception that proves the rule
You've been trying to tell Hop fans this for years now. They refused to listen, and kept putting everything at Petro's feet.

How many posters tried to tell them: "be careful what you ask for...."

What's keeping Hopkins from going DIII? Or more to the point: Who? A few posters wrote in this thread about the virus possibly giving them cover to move Hopkins to DIII. I never thought I'd say this, but I wouldn't bet against it anymore.

And again, as of today, the odds that Universities will reconvene on campus this fall on are tiny. I think spring lacrosse is a coin flip at this point. And that's assuming Universities have the money to spend on these sports.
A number of us have been saying for years, the Daniels era was and would be problematic for the program. It has cost the university its uniqueness, and not just in lacrosse. This is all about square pegs and round holes. Hopkins has always been that square peg. Now we have rounded edges. I would not be surprised even a little bit if we went full D3. I am not predicting that, but anyone who thinks that is out of the question, is whistling past the grave yard. Hope I am wrong, but I do not believe it much matters who they hire as coach. Ron Daniels certainly feels that way! Great damage has been done to the foundation.

A simple question. Has Ron Daniels released a statement? Anything? Sure he is busy, has lots of problems. Doesn't take but 30 minutes of his time.

What would Bill Brody have done in a similar situation? Although I can't imagine a similar situation occurring with Brody. Same goes for most, but not all, of the university's previous presidents.

We are suffering from self inflicted wounds and the wounds are not accidental. Shaving a square peg to fit a round hole is not accidental.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Princeton lax alums issued a letter of disagreement regarding the decision not to allow withdrawals to the Pton president.

The next day they had a response from him.

24 hour turnaround. I'd say thats pretty good.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thanks, I found it here: viewtopic.php?p=136385#p136385

I like the response, but even if I did not, transparency, treating the discussion respectfully, and (as you note) promptly has to be appreciated.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
AustinDangerPowers

Post by AustinDangerPowers »

Has anyone gotten any word on the status of Joey Epstein? Definitely don’t want him transferring....
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

AustinDangerPowers wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:35 pm Has anyone gotten any word on the status of Joey Epstein? Definitely don’t want him transferring....
heard he may be in the portal
but that doesn't mean anything's definite. players in the portal have the option to stay.
AustinDangerPowers

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:02 pm
AustinDangerPowers wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:35 pm Has anyone gotten any word on the status of Joey Epstein? Definitely don’t want him transferring....
but that doesn't mean anything's definite. players in the portal have the option to stay.
Still not good .......
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

One of the best players in the country that doesn't have a coach? Its almost irresponsible of him not to put himself in the portal. Why not? See whats out there. See who is interested. He may find a great sitch. Bummer for Hop, but he didn't create the current situation he finds himself in. He may love the new coach, he may not. But he would be wise to give himself some options, no?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Does Petro's leaving nullify NLI that 2020 players have signed? I know it's way past normal times to be switching but, if a JHU recruit had another school they were really interested in, coud they walk away and go elsewhere?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:31 pm Does Petro's leaving nullify NLI that 2020 players have signed? I know it's way past normal times to be switching but, if a JHU recruit had another school they were really interested in, coud they walk away and go elsewhere?
coach changing is something that recruits in all sports have been able to ask for release and get granted. there's plenty of precedent. universities have the option to not allow a release, but i don't recall hearing about situations where they weren't.

i know nothing about epstein's situation other than i'd be surprised if he entertained leaving. he was elected captain as a sophomore so must be well respected by teammates. he should've come to hopkins for more than coaches so i suspect he did.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Hearing Epstein is looking just a few blocks further N on Charles St...
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

If I were in the portal looking for a new home and had ever considered Hopkins but didn’t necessarily want to play for Pietramala, I think I’d wait and see who Hopkins hires before going anywhere else.

Same goes for current JHU players and incoming recruits. Wait and see.

And, I would not be surprised at all to find out Pietramala is recommending just that to his players and recruits. He was loyal to the end. He’s probably advising current and incoming players to do the same. He knows the long term value of a Hopkins education.

Hopkins has been undeniably in a rut. Current players, recruits and potential transfers should see this as an opportunity to be a part of a possible resurgence with even greater things to come.

Wait and see.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:02 pm
I have heard Epstein is not in the portal. As of now.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Epstein is in the portal. Hopkins is going D3. Keep the jokes coming boys. Neither is true and I’d be willing to wager. I mean I hope he’s not in the portal :shock:

Speaking of wagering, a new horse has been added to the race and he’s coming in hot.

Mike Murphy - UPENN I’ve got him at 3/1

Jimmy the Greek - out
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 am Epstein is in the portal. Hopkins is going D3. Keep the jokes coming boys. Neither is true and I’d be willing to wager. I mean I hope he’s not in the portal :shock:

Speaking of wagering, a new horse has been added to the race and he’s coming in hot.

Jimmy the Greek - out
Ah, another PENN connection would make sense.
AustinDangerPowers

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:50 am
flalax22 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 am Epstein is in the portal. Hopkins is going D3. Keep the jokes coming boys. Neither is true and I’d be willing to wager. I mean I hope he’s not in the portal :shock:

Jimmy the Greek - out
Ah, another PENN connection would make sense.
I’d be extremely happy with him or Nads. I don’t think Marr is a fit for this job in particular.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

What is it about Marr that doesn’t seem to be a fit for the job? I’ve seen a few people post this several times now. If you think this has more to do with interpersonal problems between Petro and whoever (players or admin) than wins and losses does Marr not make perfect sense. An easy going attitude is the change they would want no?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:43 pm
hofpride wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:42 pm coach T at hofstra had the hops recruits for the last 5 yrs where would they be? his x's and 0's are as good as anyones
He coaches on Long Island where some of the best players in the entire country are. Feel like he should be able to land at least one or two of them
How does the CAA do, out of conference? Generally?

Hopkins regularly travels to the island for a regular season games. Amherst, MA too :roll:

When is the last time Blue Jays landed top LI talent? Crawley? 7 years ago?
Last edited by runrussellrun on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopDad2024

Post by HopDad2024 »

I have a son who is a 2020 commit and all of the commits were called by the AD and asked if they had any questions. 3 weeks timetable to get a new coach. Alumni not a prerequisite.
She said they are not going D3...so let's stop that talk. Even if that was a thought how do you do that? You hire a D1 coach and recruit D1 players and tell them they are now D3. You wouldn't have a team or coach.
Change is sometimes good. My son would have loved to play for Petro. JHU will get a top shelf coach and things will move forward and JHU will get back to being a top 10 team. The 2020 class is a legit top class loaded with talent. 2021 is loaded as well...new coach just needs to keep them.
The future is bright. Change is hard. Bloomberg money is a game changer. Petro and the coaches bit hard on early recruiting and even Petro admitted they were not good at it. I think that was part of the issue this season. JHU has a lot to offer a commit...top shelf facilities...top shelf education with a guaranteed job when you graduate with a incredible alumni network. Lacrosse is the only revenue sport at Hopkins and it will continue to be. Lacrosse landscape has changed. If you look at Ivy success recently. I know for a fact that the academic requirements are the same as JHU, no money and I know from a friend that if you have the ability to pay at a Ivy you pay. We have the scholarships and the Bloomberg money. Be patient, let's see who we get as the new coach and give him a chance to put the program back to where it belongs.
GO HOP!
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Seems to me the AD needs to jump quickly on two things. One, let everyone know that JHU is staying DI. Might not even be an issue discussed anywhere but this thread, but seems to me a lot of knowledgeable lacrosse people are speculating, and if is being done here, is it also being discussed among the team, recruits, potential transfers, etc? Put the answer to bed before people start making decisions or moves based on rumor or speculation. And if it is a possibility of moving to D3, let people know that as well so people who might want to make decisions based on that knowledge are able to do so.
Two, need to make the next HC decision soon. The longer the wait goes, the longer the level of uncertainty, the more opportunities will be lost. Current players will trickle into the portal. Incoming recruits will begin asking to get out of their LOI commitment and begin looking elsewhere, not to mention missed opportunities with recruiting future classes. Current portal opportunities will be missed with no coach to engage.
I know processes like these take time, but AD needs to jump on it and at the very least be transparent that the process is actually fully in motion, with an expected completion date, and the intent of the team going forward.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:39 am What is it about Marr that doesn’t seem to be a fit for the job? I’ve seen a few people post this several times now. If you think this has more to do with interpersonal problems between Petro and whoever (players or admin) than wins and losses does Marr not make perfect sense. An easy going attitude is the change they would want no?
I like the idea of an offensive minded coach. Marr had some pretty high powered offenses at Albany and liked to push the rock. With so much offensive talent coming in the door it would be exciting to see that kind of play at Homewood. You could then hire a D coordinator whose ONLY job would be to focus on the D, which clearly needs attention. They still need to find a goalie though.
I have faith in the new AD.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”