All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

youthathletics

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:15 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:07 pm https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... t-21882132 I just read this, any truth to this or are we now in conspiracy theory land?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health ... spartanntp

Time will tell.
I believe my son had it back in Novemeber, as did his entire dorm. Each of them had low grade fevers, coughing, and a negative test for flu. Cough lasting for months, each diagnosis 'upper respiratory infection'. Went back a few weeks later to our Dr who said, I have not seen this many non-flu UR infections in years.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:07 pm https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... t-21882132 I just read this, any truth to this or are we now in conspiracy theory land?

Time will tell.
I believe my son had it back in Novemeber, as did his entire dorm. Each of them had low grade fevers, coughing, and a negative test for flu. Cough lasting for months, each diagnosis 'upper respiratory infection'. Went back a few weeks later to our Dr who said, I have not seen this many non-flu UR infections in years.
Yes. Another parent told me a similar story about something going around. Scientists will get to the bottom of it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:41 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:32 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:59 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:51 pm
Once again, this is why I said to cut massive checks for every single taxpayer well over a month ago. People are freaking out over financial losses.

Understandable, obviously.

Trump and Congress dropped the ball here, and because they chose NOT to do this....the economic damage is rippling and amplifying.

The problem now, of course, is that opening Maryland or any other State won't register hardly a blip on the economic radar. Iowa, for example, has zero government restrictions...their economy is in shambles.
The claim is that the entire traunch of Small Business Money has been used up. Has even one payment been made??
This is anecdotal at best, because we're getting it from our business bankers who are not better informed than the rest of us, but as they understand it, once you get awarded an SBA Number your funds are reserved. Then the bank has 14 days (or perhaps ten, opinions vary...) to process close and fund your PPP loan, which is designed to cover 'up to' 75% of your staffing costs. The EIDL (Economic Injury Distress Loan, pronounced Idle) loans that are really needed to keep small businesses on life support have been back burnered.

We have 5 SBA numbers issued, and just one PPP package (from a small community bank) has funded. No EIDL
If I am reading this correctly, the check is still in the mail?? No actual funds yet??
Ask Nancy and Chuck to get in gear. They want more money for hospitals and yet people like Va Governor Ralph Northam shuts down Virginia until June/july. Maybe if they opened the damned hospitals and let them do minor surgeries they could make some money.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Time will tell.
Yes. Another parent told me a similar story about something going around. Scientists will get to the bottom of it.
Time scale moving back a bit is certainly a possibility. Not likely that the COVID-19 made it to the US before this year, as there would have been spreading to enough older people to cause a rash of deaths - certainly by early January at the latest if not in November/December. It was the high death count that really got the attention of the authorities - and it is unlikely to be the same thing.
Last edited by RedFromMI on Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The US Treasury is now out of Sharpies. Checks requiring Trump’s name on the memo line will be delayed until further notice. LIBERATE TEXAS.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
njbill

Post by njbill »

If you cross out Donald Trump’s name on the check and write in Barack Obama’s, the government will add another $1000 to your account.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Trinity wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:33 pm The US Treasury is now out of Sharpies. Checks requiring Trump’s name on the memo line will be delayed until further notice. LIBERATE TEXAS.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Trump does love his Sharpies. I should have invested in the company.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:38 pm If you cross out Donald Trump’s name on the check and write in Barack Obama’s, the government will add another $1000 to your account.
Don't be starting rumors like that, there are folks around here that will believe you. It is a good thing they did not put Trumps picture on the check. I can imagine the creative artwork there.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Israel didn’t act on US warnings in November 2019.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-alerte ... er-report/
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Just saw on MSNBC MTP an interview with Dr. Vin Gupta. He was talking about the Gilead results. He is associated with the University of Chicago trial that made the news. His take - "cautious optimism". Points out that there is no "control" part of the trial to date. So we should be careful (others on this board have made this point). He also is familiar with and has taken note of the French hydroxychloroquine trial and says the hydroxychloroquine is not proving to be ineffective. No more effective than placebo.
Last edited by jhu72 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Time will tell.
of course, the more probable answer for the American cases last fall would have been another bug/virus. What blew up in this outbreak more likely hadn't hit the human population in its current mutation until later in China, else there would have been a rash of bad deaths then as well.

There's lots of nasties every year, but this one had some especially bad properties that made it much worse. But once it got going...
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:52 pm

Time will tell.
of course, the more probable answer for the American cases last fall would have been another bug/virus. What blew up in this outbreak more likely hadn't hit the human population in its current mutation until later in China, else there would have been a rash of bad deaths then as well.

There's lots of nasties every year, but this one had some especially bad properties that made it much worse. But once it got going...
Yes. I figured we would have seen more deaths or unexplained deaths. This is another example of anecdotal evidence....
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Time will tell.

If this was going on in the US in the November time frame, it makes the Chinese claim of the US being the source of the virus more believable. In China, UK Cambridge researchers claim, the first occurrence of the virus was in Gangdong, and Wuhan got it later. The virus seen in Gangdong is the same strain as the US, where the Wuhan is not, what came out of Wuhan is a mutant of the Gangdong.

Maybe some kid in the US had a pet bat. Who knows.

PS - note that FLU PCR tests have a 50% false negative rate.
Last edited by jhu72 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:01 pm

Time will tell.

If this was going on in the US in the November time frame, it makes the Chinese claim of the US being the source of the virus more believable. In China, UK Cambridge researchers claim, the first occurrence of the virus was in Gangdong, and Wuhan got it later. The virus seen in Gangdong is the same strain as the US, where the Wuhan is not, what came out of Wuhan is a mutant of the Gangdong.
;)

sheesh, I think I'll wait for the science to get peer reviewed before I believe that one. Frankly before I believe any specific event, patient zero.

The most likely explanation is that, like so many other such situations, the virus jumped from an animal to human in the deadly mutation that spread like wildfire. Occam would tell us to stick with that until darn good proof otherwise. Most likely late November into December, then progression over next month. And then boom.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:09 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:01 pm

Time will tell.

;)

sheesh, I think I'll wait for the science to get peer reviewed before I believe that one. Frankly before I believe any specific event, patient zero.

The most likely explanation is that, like so many other such situations, the virus jumped from an animal to human in the deadly mutation that spread like wildfire. Occam would tell us to stick with that until darn good proof otherwise. Most likely late November into December, then progression over next month. And then boom.
Oh, I agree the most likely is a Chinese origin, looks like Gangdong - the "ancient" virus, Wuhan - the new (mutated Gandong). Probably spread from Gangdong to the US when no one, not the Chinese, not anyone was looking. Probably not before early January to the US. Probably did not spread to US from Wuhan, else we would have seen the mutated Gandong, which is not being observed by the UK Cambridge group in the US. Recall the Chinese have reported two strain previously out of Wuhan, and the mutated Gangdong was seen at a 95% level and original Gangdong was seen at the 5% level. Although the Chinese did not know about the Gangdong connection being earlier than the Wuhan blow up. Only after Wuhan blow up did Gangdong appear on their radar.
Last edited by jhu72 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:41 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:32 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:59 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:51 pm
Once again, this is why I said to cut massive checks for every single taxpayer well over a month ago. People are freaking out over financial losses.

Understandable, obviously.

Trump and Congress dropped the ball here, and because they chose NOT to do this....the economic damage is rippling and amplifying.

The problem now, of course, is that opening Maryland or any other State won't register hardly a blip on the economic radar. Iowa, for example, has zero government restrictions...their economy is in shambles.
The claim is that the entire traunch of Small Business Money has been used up. Has even one payment been made??
This is anecdotal at best, because we're getting it from our business bankers who are not better informed than the rest of us, but as they understand it, once you get awarded an SBA Number your funds are reserved. Then the bank has 14 days (or perhaps ten, opinions vary...) to process close and fund your PPP loan, which is designed to cover 'up to' 75% of your staffing costs. The EIDL (Economic Injury Distress Loan, pronounced Idle) loans that are really needed to keep small businesses on life support have been back burnered.

We have 5 SBA numbers issued, and just one PPP package (from a small community bank) has funded. No EIDL
If I am reading this correctly, the check is still in the mail?? No actual funds yet??
Yes, but apparently the funds to fund the check have been reserved. For 4 of the 5 applications. Osgood Bank (look 'em up) got 'er done 3 days ago.

We'll see.

I might also add that our company had just been through an SEC review so we had all documents current and at hand. And it still took 3 people who wrote online application programs for a living not too long ago 12 hours to complete the first form.

We also have really good working relationships with our bankers and accountants, so we could sort through issues expediently.

I wonder how many small business have these skills and relationships? To lean out a bit against the evil-doers, I bet that LLCs that do nothing but dodge taxes got their money already...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

We had our PPP application in the first day the window opened with Bank of America, docs in first day they allowed them to be submitted.

Sitting waiting.

Piddly amount in the grand scheme of things, but interesting that there's no discernible movement. BofA's local bankers know nothing, the chat line knows nothing about individual loans, so the answer is just to sit tight.

I agree, many small businesses may have struggled with the forms for a few days...BofA's portal was straightforward, but then the doc submission didn't match the original described formula, so you had to parse that out. And have the docs ready to roll. We did, but not so sure mom and pops would be quite so organized.

Given some of the idiots we see on TV protesting, gotta imagine many would get a brain freeze looking at the forms.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:12 pm Yep. Leave it to scientists. Keep the politicians out.
Agree. It appears that Fauci, Birx & collegues established the data drive milestones in the phased criteria for lifting the lockdown.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:12 pm Yep. Leave it to scientists. Keep the politicians out.
Agree. It appears that Fauci, Birx & collegues established the data drive milestones in the phased criteria for lifting the lockdown.
Yep. You can’t rush the science.
DocBarrister

Trump’s Homicidal Willful Neglect

Post by DocBarrister »

It’s the money. With President Trump, that never changes. The Dow at 30,000 was his obsession. Get to that number and the November election was a lock. Maybe even win with 400 Electoral College votes. A landslide!

The index came close. It was at its high of 29,551 on Feb. 12, more than three weeks after President Xi Jinping of China, his disastrous delaying tactics exhausted, warned that the coronavirus outbreak “must be taken seriously.” A Nasdaq record high followed on Feb. 19, almost three weeks after the World Health Organization declared a “global health emergency.”

“We have it totally under control.” That was Trump’s message at the time. Jared Kushner, Trump’s de facto campaign manager, liked that. So did Steven Mnuchin, the Treasury secretary. Don’t spook the markets! Champagne on ice! Trump’s path to re-election involved getting enough Americans to say, I can’t stand this guy but, hell, I’m making money.

This sordid calculation meant the opportunity to avert the Covid-19 disaster was lost. Warnings were ignored. Chaos prevailed, starting at the top with a president who can no more think through a process than feel empathy.

Effective testing was not developed. Medical supplies, masks and protective suits were not procured. As my colleagues have reported, Trump was furious in late February when a blunt warning from a senior health official contributed to a market dive.

“One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear,” Trump said of the virus on Feb. 27. On March 7, guests danced in a conga line at Mar-a-Lago as Trump hosted family and his buddy-in-bravado, President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, who has called the virus “a little flu.”

Seven weeks later, the plague so cavalierly dismissed has taken the lives of at least 30,000 in the United States. The number of jobless claims has reached 22 million ....

When the Pearl Harbor Commission on this American catastrophe convenes, even Trump the perennial escape artist will not be able to slither from history’s judgment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/opin ... e=Homepage

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”