All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Bart

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:57 am
Bart wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:24 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:22 pm https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/coro ... 19/573261/
^^^
this is how remdesivir works... essentially, it fakes the virus into thinking it's one if its building blocks to replicate, and by inserting itself into that chain with a fake building block it prevents it from replicating and the sequence can't/isn't able to copy.
Thanks for this. It is great the potential it may be showing. The virus itself has a huge genome for a virus, 27-32 Kb and as such it seems to have proof reading capabilities. Is that is the case, I would imagine it is just a matter of overwhelming the proof reading capability by flooding with a chain stopping analog and then allowing the normal immune response to clear the virus? Is that how you would read it?
i read several smart guy to layman articles about a month ago and yes, that was a takeaway.
also that it may help alert the immune system to get ready, we've got a problem... and then win the race. could be just buys it time enough.
maybe i'll find one of them later.
in the interim, i'll post an article a little more technical from the same guy holmes referenced on manufacture, how binding may be better than it was with ebola.
https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/04/15/re ... bola-14716
Yeah, I read that one after the production piece. Interesting stuff(V-max and K-m are not my favorite cup of tea). IT would make sense as to why it works in Corona and not Ebola. I'd like to read the ones you have found.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

CU88 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:12 am We’re not overreacting to the coronavirus. With the coronavirus, the right action looks like an overreaction as it’s happening.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/17/21220786/ ... distancing
Can you explain why EVENT 201 recommendations did NOT include social distortion, and shutting down the economy ? What changed since October ?

Or, rather, another white collare welfare DOC, quoted in your article:

https://www.hpnonline.com/infection-pre ... tastrophes

Krutika Kuppalli, MD, Infectious Diseases Physician for Stanford Healthcare and an Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) Global Health Committee member, talked to Healthcare Purchasing News about hospitals’ roles in precarious times. “Hospitals play a crucial role in providing medical care for communities during all types of emergencies and disasters. Any unexpected incident can overwhelm the capacity of a hospital and healthcare system at large.

“To be best prepared,” continued Kuppalli, “medical facilities should have a multidisciplinary hospital-incident command group that is activated in the event of a disaster or emergency. At the very least, this should include representatives from hospital administration, communications, security, nursing administration, human resources, pharmacy, infection control, respiratory therapy, engineering and maintenance, laboratory, nutrition, laundry, cleaning, waste management, and medical staff including intensive care, emergency medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics-gynecology, surgery, orthopedics, anesthesia, and radiology.”

decades upon decades of these "recommendations" Just ignore event 201's recommendations too. blame a tv guy.........a playboy.....it's weird.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

"....hospitals play a crucial role in providing medical care..."

WOW.....who knew? :roll:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

CU88 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:39 am Two examples of deeply flawed logic:

You don’t have dandruff. So why do you use dandruff shampoo?

We don’t have many cases of COVID-19. So why should we keep our State closed?
Even more flawed:

We are not testing everyone we should be, so we don't really know if we have the low number of cases we keep reporting. But look the other way.

Working well with South Dakota...until the pork plant got tested...
Last edited by RedFromMI on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:54 am Image
thought this was a serious issue........this help much :roll:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

From my Twitter feed this morning:
EVziV5jXYAMsXSZ.jpg
EVziV5jXYAMsXSZ.jpg (88.41 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:00 am

Even more flawed:

We are not testing everyone we should be, so we don't really know if we have the low number of cases we keep reporting. But look the other way.

Thank you for bringing that issue up.

How......did a PRIVATE company get its hands on 5,000 test kits. HOW?

Also, why are the infected/positive numbers being reported as 350 in some, over 500 in others.

As of yesterday, South Dakota last updated its coronavirus page on March 4th.....awesomer.

HOW?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

In the real world my wife works in a GI unit assisting the docs doing colonoscopies. These are now considered "elective procedures" Outside of trying to find these cancerous polyps early if you go to your doctor with a GI bleed it is not considered urgent in most cases treatment will delayed. My wife brought this up last night and it goes for any number of patients that have had "elective" procedure canceled recently. How do these doctors now catch up from all the canceled procedures? How many patients will now just say to hell with it, I will do it some other time. My wife said last night there there is no reason they can't develop safe procedure to perform colonoscopies in the clinics. She knows how it being done in the hospitals and could be done in surgical clinics fairly easily.

She had a patient yesterday whose GI problem was blood in his stool. When she asked the other nurse what color it was she said sorta blackish. The alarm bells went off in my wifes head. She had to tell the charge nurse she thinks this person had an upper bleed that was very serious. The patient went from waiting for a colonoscopy to the ICU. The point being that because of the COVID concerns many procedures that would be common place are being put on the back burner. My point is that it makes sense that these elective procedure centers be allowed to come back on line. They can do what they do within safety guidlines and will take enormous pressure off of hospitals to have to treat patients that may not need to be in a hospital. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure does make sense to me.

There is a standing joke in the world of all nurses... stay out of the hospital, they will kill you.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:08 am In the real world my wife works in a GI unit assisting the docs doing colonoscopies. These are now considered "elective procedures" Outside of trying to find these cancerous polyps early if you go to your doctor with a GI bleed it is not considered urgent in most cases treatment will delayed. My wife brought this up last night and it goes for any number of patients that have had "elective" procedure canceled recently. How do these doctors now catch up from all the canceled procedures? How many patients will now just say to hell with it, I will do it some other time. My wife said last night there there is no reason they can't develop safe procedure to perform colonoscopies in the clinics. She knows how it being done in the hospitals and could be done in surgical clinics fairly easily.

She had a patient yesterday whose GI problem was blood in his stool. When she asked the other nurse what color it was she said sorta blackish. The alarm bells went off in my wifes head. She had to tell the charge nurse she thinks this person had an upper bleed that was very serious. The patient went from waiting for a colonoscopy to the ICU. The point being that because of the COVID concerns many procedures that would be common place are being put on the back burner. My point is that it makes sense that these elective procedure centers be allowed to come back on line. They can do what they do within safety guidlines and will take enormous pressure of of hospitals to have to treat patients that may not need to be in a hospital. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure does make sense to me.
No question that this creates problems for those affected by other issues.

I have had two colonoscopies - and remain on a five year schedule because they remove one or two polyps each time. Fortunately I still have about a year until my next one is due...

But the biggest issue for the next few weeks is the number of untested people who may be silent carriers. How do you insure they remain outside of the clinic?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:06 am From my Twitter feed this morning:

EVziV5jXYAMsXSZ.jpg
The prior pandemics curves ALL flattened, without social distancing......didn't they? BUT.....THIS time it WORKED. Prove it.

How, were the Boston Red Sox able to win the world series, in 1918, if business' were shut down? Was major league boreball deemed essential by President Woodrow Wilson?

Just b/c you avoid getting into the water, b/c you would drown, you can't swim....does that prove that you avoiding the water is saving your life?

Does it?
better analogy than dandruff shampoo.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:44 am
CU88 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:12 am We’re not overreacting to the coronavirus. With the coronavirus, the right action looks like an overreaction as it’s happening.

Can you explain why EVENT 201 recommendations did NOT include social distortion, and shutting down the economy ? What changed since October ?

Krutika Kuppalli, MD, Infectious Diseases Physician for Stanford Healthcare and an Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) Global Health Committee member, talked to Healthcare Purchasing News about hospitals’ roles in precarious times. “Hospitals play a crucial role in providing medical care for communities during all types of emergencies and disasters. Any unexpected incident can overwhelm the capacity of a hospital and healthcare system at large.

“To be best prepared,” continued Kuppalli, “medical facilities should have a multidisciplinary hospital-incident command group that is activated in the event of a disaster or emergency. At the very least, this should include representatives from hospital administration, communications, security, nursing administration, human resources, pharmacy, infection control, respiratory therapy, engineering and maintenance, laboratory, nutrition, laundry, cleaning, waste management, and medical staff including intensive care, emergency medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics-gynecology, surgery, orthopedics, anesthesia, and radiology.”

decades upon decades of these "recommendations" Just ignore event 201's recommendations too. blame a tv guy.........a playboy.....it's weird.
Poor Trump. He is just an innocent bystander in all of this. He is just a tv actor. It’s like blaming Don Rickles.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:14 am

Poor Trump. He is just an innocent bystander in all of this. He is just a tv actor. It’s like blaming Don Rickles.
yes, I do blame tRump for ignoring EVENT 201's THIRD recommendation. He went against EVENT 201's recommendations.

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org ... tions.html

Countries, international organizations, and global transportation companies should work together to maintain travel and trade during severe pandemics. Travel and trade are essential to the global economy as well as to national and even local economies, and they should be maintained even in the face of a pandemic. Improved decision-making, coordination, and communications between the public and private sectors, relating to risk, travel advisories, import/export restrictions, and border measures will be needed. The fear and uncertainty experienced during past outbreaks, even those limited to a national or regional level, have sometimes led to unjustified border measures, the closure of customer-facing businesses, import bans, and the cancellation of airline flights and international shipping. A particularly fast-moving and lethal pandemic could therefore result in political decisions to slow or stop movement of people and goods, potentially harming economies already vulnerable in the face of an outbreak. Ministries of Health and other government agencies should work together now with international airlines and global shipping companies to develop realistic response scenarios and start a contingency planning process with the goal of mitigating economic damage by maintaining key travel and trade routes during a large-scale pandemic. Supporting continued trade and travel in such an extreme circumstance may require the provision of enhanced disease control measures and personal protective equipment for transportation workers, government subsidies to support critical trade routes, and potentially liability protection in certain cases. International organizations including WHO, the International Air Transport Association, and the International Civil Aviation Organization should be partners in these preparedness and response efforts.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:06 am From my Twitter feed this morning:

EVziV5jXYAMsXSZ.jpg
The prior pandemics curves ALL flattened, without social distancing......didn't they? BUT.....THIS time it WORKED. Prove it.

How, were the Boston Red Sox able to win the world series, in 1918, if business' were shut down? Was major league boreball deemed essential by President Woodrow Wilson?

Just b/c you avoid getting into the water, b/c you would drown, you can't swim....does that prove that you avoiding the water is saving your life?

Does it?
better analogy than dandruff shampoo.
Actually, the curves flattened more with social distancing, less without it.

From vox.com:
5 lessons on social distancing from the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... panish-flu
Back in 1918, a strain of influenza — colloquially called the “Spanish flu” — caused the worst pandemic in centuries, killing as many as 100 million people. In the US, about 675,000 people died.

In response, states and cities across the country told people to do what we now know as social distancing. Schools, restaurants, and businesses were closed. Public gatherings were banned. People were told to isolate and quarantine. In some places, this lasted for months.

It worked. Things didn’t go perfectly — far from it, as some cities fared much worse than others, and people didn’t always obey what experts and officials were telling them. But studies show that the social distancing efforts helped slow the spread of the 1918 flu and reduce the mortality rate overall.
Unfortunately, we know the early, sustained, and layered strategies worked because not all US cities did them well, allowing comparisons. Consider this chart from the PNAS study, which shows that Philadelphia had a much bigger spike in deaths, while St. Louis kept its death toll down overall:

Philadelphia got less of a warning about the 1918 flu — the chart shows its first cases were ahead of St. Louis’s — and that limited its ability to respond somewhat. But even given that, Markel said, Philadelphia just did a much worse job than St. Louis at putting in place social distancing measures. Philadelphia, as just one example, didn’t cancel a World War I parade as the 1918 flu picked up, which likely led to thousands of infections.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:23 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:14 am

yes, I do blame tRump for ignoring EVENT 201's THIRD recommendation. He went against EVENT 201's recommendations.

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org ... tions.html

Countries, international organizations, and global transportation companies should work together to maintain travel and trade during severe pandemics. Travel and trade are essential to the global economy as well as to national and even local economies, and they should be maintained even in the face of a pandemic. Improved decision-making, coordination, and communications between the public and private sectors, relating to risk, travel advisories, import/export restrictions, and border measures will be needed. The fear and uncertainty experienced during past outbreaks, even those limited to a national or regional level, have sometimes led to unjustified border measures, the closure of customer-facing businesses, import bans, and the cancellation of airline flights and international shipping. A particularly fast-moving and lethal pandemic could therefore result in political decisions to slow or stop movement of people and goods, potentially harming economies already vulnerable in the face of an outbreak. Ministries of Health and other government agencies should work together now with international airlines and global shipping companies to develop realistic response scenarios and start a contingency planning process with the goal of mitigating economic damage by maintaining key travel and trade routes during a large-scale pandemic. Supporting continued trade and travel in such an extreme circumstance may require the provision of enhanced disease control measures and personal protective equipment for transportation workers, government subsidies to support critical trade routes, and potentially liability protection in certain cases. International organizations including WHO, the International Air Transport Association, and the International Civil Aviation Organization should be partners in these preparedness and response efforts.
You mean it’s TV guy’s fault?
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:35 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:01 am
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:44 am Oh....I agree.....back to work.

WHO.....is choosing the winners and losers ? What is essential, what's not.

Peter, why do you ignore the FACT that tRump gave Planned Parenthood MORE money.

...and, your truly reveal yourself, calling budget oversite "pesky". That comment......will ring forever eternal. Proof that your fiscal CONcern is pretend.

Like AFAN states....and we ALL know hypocrites like you, btw.......as long as someone calls himself an R, they are.

Think, short and soft, .....do you think a pig like tRump.......has he ever been involved with an ABORTION, for someone he impregnated ?

softball question, for those that are logical. Pragmatic.

I really think this is just DOC, messing with people. No one can be THIS hypocritical. ;)

If you gave me the unilateral rights and opportunity to take a chainsaw to the federal budget, I'd cut so much I'd be strung up in the hoosegow before my second act.

I'm not down with most of DC, but I also know when to fight and when not to fight. You know when you don't fight? During a pandemic which has halted 90% of all commerce in the United States. Should I vote NO on CARES Act because Planned Parenthood (a thoroughly, 100% disgraceful and immoral enterprise which anyone even tangentially affiliated should be mortally ashamed) gets a few extra bucks? That might be the quickest way today to losing your seat possible, so sure, be heroic, and then go back to your private sector job.

At the end of the day, I don't even care about CARES. What I am solely concerned with today are those next 3 SCOTUS seats. I've done okay in life; my focus now is my kids (still a tad young) and their kids (not yet born nor thought of! I hope :lol: ). Two more Sonia Sotomajors, one for Clarence Thomas and one for RBG, and you won't even know what America is anymore. You'll be begging Planned Parenthood for an exception just to keep your babies. Eff the CARES Act.
IN bold,....stop playing games.

I was VERY clear. tRump gave planned parenthood MORE money than Obama did....the very FIRST opportunity he could. Trump also signed EVERY other budget increase, for planned parenthood.....starting in 2017.

stop acting like THIS time was the only time.......

Let me repeat because obviously I'm not yelling loudly enough: I DON'T CARE THAT TRUMP FUNDED PP WITH AN EXTRA $20MILLION AS PART OF SOME HORSE TRADING FOR A BILL WORTH $6TRILLION.

Ask me instead about the upcoming SCOTUS battles.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:00 am

Even more flawed:

South Dakota may be a blessing in disguise. There is no question Trump supporters have not been taking this seriously enough. They thought it was going to be limited to big cities and they were immune because of population density. South Dakota is a counter example for them. Maybe now they will wake up. I doubt it - but maybe.

I haven't posted my death tracking graph for yesterday as yet, but it is clear what was looking like a shoulder / turn over the weekend was "fools gold". We are now at 34K dead and back on a track that indicates we are going higher. The WH favorite model - its prediction of 60-70K total dead is just entering the rear view mirror.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:08 am In the real world my wife works in a GI unit assisting the docs doing colonoscopies. These are now considered "elective procedures" Outside of trying to find these cancerous polyps early if you go to your doctor with a GI bleed it is not considered urgent in most cases treatment will delayed. My wife brought this up last night and it goes for any number of patients that have had "elective" procedure canceled recently. How do these doctors now catch up from all the canceled procedures? How many patients will now just say to hell with it, I will do it some other time. My wife said last night there there is no reason they can't develop safe procedure to perform colonoscopies in the clinics. She knows how it being done in the hospitals and could be done in surgical clinics fairly easily.

She had a patient yesterday whose GI problem was blood in his stool. When she asked the other nurse what color it was she said sorta blackish. The alarm bells went off in my wifes head. She had to tell the charge nurse she thinks this person had an upper bleed that was very serious. The patient went from waiting for a colonoscopy to the ICU. The point being that because of the COVID concerns many procedures that would be common place are being put on the back burner. My point is that it makes sense that these elective procedure centers be allowed to come back on line. They can do what they do within safety guidlines and will take enormous pressure off of hospitals to have to treat patients that may not need to be in a hospital. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure does make sense to me.

There is a standing joke in the world of all nurses... stay out of the hospital, they will kill you.
Agreed, there is some fine tuning that needs to be done in this area. Suspect that will start happening, not all elective procedures, but some which have the biggest impact on patients long term prospects. Your wife's case is certainly one of those. I know in my wife's practice, this kind of thing is being talked about at management levels.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 am

She had a patient yesterday whose GI problem was blood in his stool. When she asked the other nurse what color it was she said sorta blackish. The alarm bells went off in my wifes head. She had to tell the charge nurse she thinks this person had an upper bleed that was very serious. The patient went from waiting for a colonoscopy to the ICU. The point being that because of the COVID concerns many procedures that would be common place are being put on the back burner. My point is that it makes sense that these elective procedure centers be allowed to come back on line. They can do what they do within safety guidlines and will take enormous pressure of of hospitals to have to treat patients that may not need to be in a hospital. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure does make sense to me.
No question that this creates problems for those affected by other issues.

I have had two colonoscopies - and remain on a five year schedule because they remove one or two polyps each time. Fortunately I still have about a year until my next one is due...

But the biggest issue for the next few weeks is the number of untested people who may be silent carriers. How do you insure they remain outside of the clinic?
My wifes response would be down the road issues being put off by people now are going to bite them. In NYS, when this is all said and done there will be GI Doctors 2 months behind the cases they had to cancel. How do you catch up? This is just one specialty but how many of these folks having missed their colonoscopy and not rescheduling will wind up with colon cancer? Myself, I am suppose to go to my retinal surgeon so he can keep an eye on the repair he made for my detached retina. That appointment is not going to happen. I will be bugging the hell out of his office for a new appointment ASAP. Some of the "routine" procedures that are being put on hold are what are keeping many people alive or at least free of further complications. This is the classic stone in the pond, you see the splash but then the ripples from the stone go in all directions.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:46 am

Agreed, there is some fine tuning that needs to be done in this area. Suspect that will start happening, not all elective procedures, but some which have the biggest impact on patients long term prospects. Your wife's case is certainly one of those. I know in my wife's practice, this kind of thing is being talked about at management levels.
This is even more crucial for people with a history of polyps. It is not a big deal if you are on the 10 year plan. If you have graduated to to 5 or 3 year plan you have to keep on top of this. My wifes lecture is that today, nobody should ever have to die from colon cancer. If you find those polyps and snag them when they are tiny, colon cancer will never kill you.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”