All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Peter Brown

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:56 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:53 pm I'm fascinated with this board!

Truly the biggest news in the entire Covid saga is out today at 5 pm, and not one of you has picked up on it!

Just more nonsensical liberal teeth-gnashing about nothing. Honestly, I'm beginning to think this has been nearly 400 pages of posts where libs simply exercise their hatred of mankind and don't really want the virus to be conquered.

The Remdesevir news that leaked is literally the only thing being discussed by serious people this very second. And you yo-yo's are oblivious. jfc

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/ear ... treatment/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/gilead- ... sults.html
You should know by now good news is bad news for dems and liberal progressives.

You'd definitely think that reading this board. jfc, this is by far the best news to come out on 4 months and most of this board is rick-rolling some idiocy about unrelated nonsense like Pence is a dummy or Trump is awful
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bart wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:59 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:04 pm Libs gonna hate this news but it appears as if Gilead’s drug remdesevir works to correct the most difficult Corona cases. The collective iq of humanity always wins.

Incredible stuff! Great job.
Why would the libs hat ths news? Oh yeah......they want people to die. Just like all the people who say the GOP wants people to die. On either side it is absolute bull Shzit. Want a bigger brush to paint with?

I personally think this is great news. I have been waiting for the clinical trials to come out for a while on this drug. I hope that they all prove to be as effective as it appears to be in this one trial. Either way, it is great news to those who got better. That is over 100 lives saved.
Excellent news. A lot of drugs don’t get out of phase III. Very good news. I will be on a call next month with a company that is working on something as well.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Truly the biggest news in the entire Covid saga is out today at 5 pm, and not one of you has picked up on it!

Just more nonsensical liberal teeth-gnashing about nothing. Honestly, I'm beginning to think this has been nearly 400 pages of posts where libs simply exercise their hatred of mankind and don't really want the virus to be conquered.

The Remdesevir news that leaked is literally the only thing being discussed by serious people this very second. And you yo-yo's are oblivious. jfc

It is great news if it holds up. You really are a dangerous troll with the notion that no one wants a "cure" (which this is not). First - this is one of many trials (125 patients, all very severely ill, no control/placebo group). There are others yet to provide a result. There will be further trials before any approval.

This may certainly cut the death rate. Still a lot of damage to the lungs and heart from coronavirus is likely to have happened, given how sick someone would have to be before allowed into this trial. Will see if earlier application can reduce that damage if given earlier.

(As an aside - just talked to my daughter - physician - who said she was able to Skype with her CV patient who got discharged and is home. On oxygen at home because not fully recovered and isolated for the week. I think first patient of hers to go home...)

You still do not want to catch the virus - it is more damaging than the flu. But it is good news if it holds.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:04 pm Libs gonna hate this news but it appears as if Gilead’s drug remdesevir works to correct the most difficult Corona cases. The collective iq of humanity always wins.

Why would the libs hat ths news? Oh yeah......they want people to die. Just like all the people who say the GOP wants people to die. On either side it is absolute bull Shzit. Want a bigger brush to paint with?

I personally think this is great news. I have been waiting for the clinical trials to come out for a while on this drug. I hope that they all prove to be as effective as it appears to be in this one trial. Either way, it is great news to those who got better. That is over 100 lives saved.
This is encouraging. Only issue is getting the news through financial channels puts my antenna up, not about the medicine - a little - but about this being a stock play. Someone leaked this info. Feel more comfortable when this comes out in published scientific literature with follow up bigger clinical trial. But good early news.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

This is no such thing. :roll: :lol: :lol:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:16 pm

This is encouraging. Only issue is getting the news through financial channels puts my antenna up, not about the medicine - a little - but about this being a stock play. Someone leaked this info. Feel more comfortable when this comes out in published scientific literature with follow up bigger clinical trial. But good early news.
This is directly from statnews (excerpt I posted in one of the many threads PB posted the same thing in):
Gilead’s severe Covid-19 study includes 2,400 participants from 152 different clinical trial sites all over the world. Its moderate Covid-19 study includes 1,600 patients in 169 different centers, also all over the world.

The trial is investigating five- and 10-day treatment courses of remdesivir. The primary goal is a statistical comparison of patient improvement between the two treatment arms. Improvement is measured using a seven-point numerical scale that encompasses death (at worst) and discharge from hospital (best outcome), with various degrees of supplemental oxygen and intubation in between.

The lack of a control arm in the study could make interpreting the results more challenging.

A lack of data has led to yo-yoing expectations for the drug. Two studies in China had enrollment suspended partway through because there were not enough patients available. A recent report of patients given the drug under a special program to make it available to those who are very ill generated both excitement and skepticism.

In scientific terms, all the data are anecdotal until the full trial reads out, meaning that they should not be used to draw final conclusions. But some of the anecdotes are dramatic.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:25 pm

This is directly from statnews (excerpt I posted in one of the many threads PB posted the same thing in):
Gilead’s severe Covid-19 study includes 2,400 participants from 152 different clinical trial sites all over the world. Its moderate Covid-19 study includes 1,600 patients in 169 different centers, also all over the world.

The trial is investigating five- and 10-day treatment courses of remdesivir. The primary goal is a statistical comparison of patient improvement between the two treatment arms. Improvement is measured using a seven-point numerical scale that encompasses death (at worst) and discharge from hospital (best outcome), with various degrees of supplemental oxygen and intubation in between.

The lack of a control arm in the study could make interpreting the results more challenging.

A lack of data has led to yo-yoing expectations for the drug. Two studies in China had enrollment suspended partway through because there were not enough patients available. A recent report of patients given the drug under a special program to make it available to those who are very ill generated both excitement and skepticism.

In scientific terms, all the data are anecdotal until the full trial reads out, meaning that they should not be used to draw final conclusions. But some of the anecdotes are dramatic.
It is also not a cure or a vaccine. It's good early news.

Aside - Gilead was founded by a Hopkins Medical School graduate. So all Hopkins haters - bite me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:05 pm

You'd definitely think that reading this board. jfc, this is by far the best news to come out on 4 months and most of this board is rick-rolling some idiocy about unrelated nonsense like Pence is a dummy or Trump is awful
Stop with this trolling nonsense. Please. (see, I asked nicely)
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Aside - Gilead was founded by a Hopkins Medical School graduate. So all Hopkins haters - bite me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: I'd bite a bat in Wuhan before that...God forbid
Last edited by tech37 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 pm

a fan as I've said to you before more than once, when you start to chide the resistance trolls too (equally), I'll take you seriously.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Soon as this Covid is done I won’t post much more anyway. And the end just got much closer. The libs should be ecstatic.

People will forgive you for being wrong, but they will never forgive you for being right—especially if events prove you right while proving them wrong.
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:30 pm

What it is: a potential treatment, which may save lives, and reduce the time and severity that someone may experience with the COVID-19 disease.
What it is not: as you have said, either a cure or a vaccine. As such it does not prevent transmission - and so cannot be used to protect the population. It also is not a preventative - at least that is not what the study is trying to find out.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Soon as this Covid is done I won’t post much more anyway. And the end just got much closer. The libs should be ecstatic.

People will forgive you for being wrong, but they will never forgive you for being right—especially if events prove you right while proving them wrong.
Exactly how did this make the end much closer?
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:52 pm a fan as I've said to you before more than once, when you start to chide the resistance trolls too (equally), I'll take you seriously.
Pot. Kettle. I'll take you seriously when you actually criticize Trump.....or does this door only swing one way?

We've got one, and only "resistance" poster. That's DocB. And I ignore him 99% of the time, just as I did during Obama.

The rest of the posters are entirely rational, making entirely rational complaints about our leaders.

Just as you USED to do, when a D was in the White House. Just as Old Salt used to do when .....

At no point did I call you names (resistance) for having the unmitigated gall of criticizing our President.... Obama. Or imply that you're literally insane for doing so.

Pity you can't make the same claim under Trump's rule.

As for criticizing the lefty Troll? Here ya go. Just a few days ago.....
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:19 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:16 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 pm Should have believed the Benghazi video story & that ISIS were the JV's.
And I should have believed Mexico would build that wall.

ISIS was the JV. They came out the open, and were snuffed out in massive numbers. Idiots. OBL hid after his attack for....how many years, directing terrorism?

Which team did more damage to the US? It's not even a close call.
old salt wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 pm ...at least we won't be accused of being racist if we question Biden's policies.
Oh, I'm quite certain DocB will come up with some nutty slur for you.... ;)
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Covid-19 is rapidly becoming America’s leading cause of death
How does the coronavirus compare to other major causes of death in an average week?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... rc404=true
In early and mid-March, when America began widespread closures, quarantines and social distancing, covid-19 caused many fewer deaths than other common causes — fewer in a week than chronic liver disease or high blood pressure, and far fewer than suicide or the common flu. By the end of March, the toll was closer to the average weekly deaths from diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease. Into April, weekly covid-19 deaths climbed past those from accidents and chronic lower respiratory disease. And last week, covid-19 killed more people than normally die of cancer in this country in a week. Only heart disease was likely to kill more people that week.
Screenshot_2020-04-16 Covid-19 is rapidly becoming America’s leading cause of death.png
Screenshot_2020-04-16 Covid-19 is rapidly becoming America’s leading cause of death.png (188.13 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:09 pm
tech37 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:52 pm a fan as I've said to you before more than once, when you start to chide the resistance trolls too (equally), I'll take you seriously.
Pot. Kettle. I'll take you seriously when you actually criticize Trump.....or does this door only swing one way?
I have criticized Trump on numerous occasions over the past 3.5 years...you're not paying attention. Frankly, what is the point of criticizing Trump on this board when hate is already the modus operandi of the majority of deranged posters?
Last edited by tech37 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/coro ... 19/573261/
^^^
this is how remdesivir works... essentially, it fakes the virus into thinking it's one if its building blocks to replicate, and by inserting itself into that chain with a fake building block it prevents it from replicating and the sequence can't/isn't able to copy.

as mentioned, it's not something that can clear debris, the lungs, etc. just keep the virus from spreading. probably allows your immune system to not play catch up but fight what's there. most of its use has been with severe symptoms, and in many cases after oxygen levels have dropped, been put on ventilators... the patients have been in bad shape. but, given the characterization of this trial also targeting those critical patients (whatever classification they were using), this is continued good news. the first diagnosed u.s. covid patient was given remdesivir after he seemed to be crashing, and the next day was supposedly asymptomatic. he was in his 30s, but that was a good outcome. you can read about his entire treatment in the nejm.
asian countries used it early, and the WHO mentioned it relatively early on as the most viable candidate.

they also had put out prelim results of another trial last friday:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007016
didn't work out as well on case fatality, and it wasn't a double blind controlled study, but maybe much better results than other critical patients world and stateside.

they have about 120 k treatments available short term. another 500 k expected by october and @ 1 M by the end of the year. it's disappointing that the moderate trial results aren't expected until may, as it would seem that if this drug is effective and cleared, it'd be equally so early in not letting the virus get going. may not matter, as unless something changes on the production front, 1.1 million over the rest of year means moderate cases will have to get better on their own to have enough for more severe cases. unless you're in the elite.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:22 pm https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/coro ... 19/573261/
^^^
this is how remdesivir works... essentially, it fakes the virus into thinking it's one if its building blocks to replicate, and by inserting itself into that chain with a fake building block it prevents it from replicating and the sequence can't/isn't able to copy.

as mentioned, it's not something that can clear debris, the lungs, etc. just keep the virus from spreading. probably allows your immune system to not play catch up but fight what's there. most of its use has been with severe symptoms, and in many cases after oxygen levels have dropped, been put on ventilators... the patients have been in bad shape. but, given the characterization of this trial also targeting those critical patients (whatever classification they were using), this is continued good news. the first diagnosed u.s. covid patient was given remdesivir after he seemed to be crashing, and the next day was supposedly asymptomatic. he was in his 30s, but that was a good outcome. you can read about his entire treatment in the nejm.
asian countries used it early, and the WHO mentioned it relatively early on as the most viable candidate.

didn't work out as well on case fatality, and it wasn't a double blind controlled study, but maybe much better results than other critical patients world and stateside.

they have about 120 k treatments available short term. another 500 k expected by october and @ 1 M by the end of the year. it's disappointing that the moderate trial results aren't expected until may, as it would seem that if this drug is effective and cleared, it'd be equally so early in not letting the virus get going. may not matter, as unless something changes on the production front, 1.1 million over the rest of year means moderate cases will have to get better on their own to have enough for more severe cases. unless you're in the elite.
Great stuff, thanks for posting
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

tech37 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:24 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:22 pm https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/coro ... 19/573261/
^^^

Great stuff, thanks for posting
The part of the trial you referenced from NEJM is substantially worse than the numbers put out in statnews. Something like 15% death rate or so. And because this is the "compassionate use case" data it is hard to see how this translates to more universal use.

In spite of that, at least this has promise as a treatment - and if earlier use works maybe a real live saver. But it will be a while before this is ready for more universal use...

Return to “POLITICS”