All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

ggait

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by ggait »

Most people still remember the 2.5 MILLION dead prediction.

Thats what they hear bouncing around in their heads. But they're beginning to think. Less than 40K dead. And my family life is upside down.

I can't go to church. I can't hug my grandchildren. I can't be with my parents when they die in the ICU.

And bureaucrats keep exercising more and more power extending the time they stay in control.

More people die from the flu every year. We do nothing. We're staring down the barrel of a depression.

MY kids and grand kids lives may never be the same. And you say OK.
Now that's what I call FEAR POOOOOOOOORRRRRRNNNNNNNNN!!! AAAAAAHHHHH!! FULL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!

Here's what the new normal is going to be, guys. Coming soon to your neighborhood -- June 1 or before. It isn't going to be so crazy.

My wife works for a big tech company based in the Valley. They have hundreds/thousands of employees at their main locations. Haven't announced a re-open date, because (like any normal rational business) they know that re-opening in the face of high health risk is simply stupid business.

But re-opening is coming sometime relatively soon. They've already figured out their re-open plan. They are already communicating with employees about what the rules will be once everyone returns:

1. Thermoscanners to enter any company facility.
2. Need to be wearing a mask to enter any company facility.
3. Inside, everyone wears a mask at all times unless you are sitting alone in your cube/office and six feet away from everyone else.
4. Rules to keep too many people from gathering together in conference rooms and cafeteria.
5. Lots of Zoom and conference calls -- even for people down the hall.
5. Company gym closed.
6. Encourage those with tele-commutable jobs to work from home a few days a week so that the headcount inside on any given day will never be close to 100%.
7. For places like labs and manufacturing locations where the people really need to be in the physical location to get work done, staggered schedules so people have more elbow room.

That plan is quite sustainable for however many months it needs to be maintained.

If you add some fast/easy/available testing to the above, it would work even better.

Fan -- what will it look like when you go back to making hooch again? Since you are currently operating as an artisanal hand sanitizer factory (+1 for that!!) I assume you probably have a pretty good idea already.
Last edited by ggait on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
runrussellrun

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:42 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:16 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:49 pm
Widespread testing a barrier for reopening country as White House seeks plan
White House aides scramble to ramp up testing in the U.S., but there's no clear plan yet.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... n-n1185516
The White House is exploring ways of drastically increasing coronavirus testing in the U.S., as President Donald Trump’s aides scramble to put measures in place that might make it feasible for him to meet his goal of reopening the economy in parts of the country by May 1, according to four people familiar with the efforts.

Multiple ideas are under consideration for increasing diagnostic testing and testing for coronavirus antibodies as well as how to target those tests to geographic areas and specific industries to open as much of the economy as possible, these people said.

One proposal that’s been considered would involve the federal government partnering with major technology companies in an effort aimed at increasing testing capacity to at least 3 million tests a day, according to three people familiar with the plan. Some administration officials, however, cautioned that amount was unrealistic and said different types of testing would be strategically deployed.

A senior administration official said the White House is “close” to making an announcement on a plan.

Another idea that’s been discussed would use the Defense Production Act to rapidly scale up testing, according to one person familiar with the discussions, though officials played down the idea given that Trump has been resistant to more consistently deploying that presidential power since he would rather use the law as leverage to get companies to take such steps.

The push to ramp up testing reflects an acknowledgment by some of the president’s advisers that, despite his insistence that testing is working well, there are problems with access and that significantly increasing the number of tests per day will be critical if the economy is going to reopen. Trump said he will announce guidelines on Thursday for reopening the economy.
Just think what the result would have been if the administration did this say in early February, when Trump seemed to think his ban on some China travel would fix everything...
There are indications that a big part of our testing shortfall is our hodge podge of processing labs -- Individual city & state heath dept labs, hospital labs of all sizes & capabilities, university labs, private company labs, fed agency labs. Coordinating them must be like herding cats.

We're not a compact consolidated country like Germany or S Korea where you can call them all together in a train station & figure out a plan.

In the daily briefings, Dr Birx is diplomatic & tries to stay constructive, but you can see her frustration simmering just below the surface.
So who or what is frustrating her?
Questions from reporters?
The difficulty of herding those cats?
The lack of a direct federal response after flubbing it so badly out of the gate on testing?
Trump saying stupid stuff while she has to stand around waiting?

All of the above?
The inherent difficulty in getting a hodge podge of labs in 50 states, with varying equipment, capabilities & proficiency, to implement a hodge podge of test kits with varying accuracy, procedures, & components, in use on an unprecedented scale.

We were not structured or prepared for an undertaking of this magnitude, in a short time frame...ever, even before Trump.
I'd agree.
And then we f'd it up royally at each turn.

Still don't have a national, federally-driven strategy, much less are using the full weight of the federal government to secure necessary materials, reagents, etc, nor any standardization of processes and procedures.

So, companies and states and health systems and employers are still bidding against one another for critical resources, including those necessary to produce and administer the tests.

This does not have to be the case just because we're a big country.
It's attitudinal, the notion that it's not really a big problem, even we 'like lower #'s", and if it's actually a problem, it's someone else's problem.

This is where the federal government really does have authority, really does have a purpose on behalf of the entire country.
EVENT 201

How much longer are you going to allow this excuse mongering to fester. Or, are you back tracking Bills 2015 TED talk now? Or, the billions the top doc schools have received to set up guidelines. They don't I blame them.

Seriously, what do YOU take, of value, that you could use, in your business. It's a very quick read. take your time. Here is the link.

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org ... tions.html

feel free to browse other pages, watch the videos. See why events like this are useless. As are all these useless guidelines.

They, again, with recommendations to NOT close business. And you ignore it. It's sad.

blame trump. even tho bill gates said NOT to close business, during a pandemic. This is reality. You not blaming the lack of preparedness on all the agencies, studies, grants to study the grants......

I get it. Without the white collar welfare, yours, and many other cities would perish. Boston included.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Black Hole.
njbill

Post by njbill »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:22 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:54 pm The question was ridiculously stupid, yet par for the course for Tucker, because he knew the governor hadn’t nullified the bill of rights. It was a typical sophomoric, intentionally provocative question. Stupid is a good way to describe it.

I’m disappointed my governor didn’t handle it better.
“By what authority did you nullify the Bill of Rights in issuing this order?” Carlson asked the governor.
That is an incredibly stupid and/or uninformed question.

I guess a more appropriate answer would have been something like:

"Tucker -- you obviously know absolutely nothing about our federal system and our constitution. Your lack of knowledge is appalling and shows complete bad faith on your part. Perhaps you should go read one of the hundreds/thousands of Supreme Court cases on this that demonstrate your complete ignoramus hackiness. If anyone thinks I "nullified" the bill of rights, go ahead and sue me in court. Where their cases will get thrown out in a New Jersey minute. And any lawyer filing such a case would be likely to be sanctioned and maybe lose his law license.

The only reason to ask such a dumb offensive and dangerous question is so you can cash some more 0.01% level checks from your pathetic network. But I guess your mouth breather dumb ass viewers like to hear such stupid stuff?"

Would that have been a better answer? :roll:
Much better. I was screaming something along those lines at the TV, although a bit less erudite.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Much better. I was screaming something along those lines at the TV, although a bit less erudite.
Problem is that Tucker (and his audience) would love it if a Dem/FLP/lib-turd went wacko like that. Ratings!!!
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Thats what they hear bouncing around in their heads. But they're beginning to think. Less than 40K dead. And my family life is upside down.

I can't go to church. I can't hug my grandchildren. I can't be with my parents when they die in the ICU.

And bureaucrats keep exercising more and more power extending the time they stay in control.

More people die from the flu every year. We do nothing. We're staring down the barrel of a depression.

Now that's what I call FEAR POOOOOOOOORRRRRRNNNNNNNNN!!! AAAAAAHHHHH!! FULL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!

Here's what the new normal is going to be, guys. Coming soon to your neighborhood -- June 1 or before. It isn't going to be so crazy.

My wife works for a big tech company based in the Valley. They have hundreds/thousands of employees at their main locations. Haven't announced a re-open date, because (like any normal rational business) they know that re-opening in the face of high health risk is simply stupid business.

But re-opening is coming sometime relatively soon. They've already figured out their re-open plan. They are already communicating with employees about what the rules will be once everyone returns:

3. Inside, everyone wears a mask at all times unless you are sitting alone in your cube/office and six feet away from everyone else.
4. Rules to keep too many people from gathering together in conference rooms and cafeteria.
5. Company gym closed.
6. Encourage those with tele-commutable jobs to work from home a few days a week so that the headcount inside on any given day will never be close to 100%.
7. For places like labs and manufacturing locations where the people really need to be in the physical location to get work done, staggered schedules so people have more elbow room.

That plan is quite sustainable for however many months it needs to be maintained.

If you add some fast/easy/available testing to the above, it would work even better.
All good. And yes, testing would be much better.
The question may be whether those with risk factors should be encouraged to stay away even longer.
Obesity, diabetes, heart disease, immune issues.
2/3 of adult Americans are overweight or obese. Obese is over 30%.

And that's just the office.
Don't expect restaurants and bars to be ok for a while, much less concerts, conventions, trade shows.
As little travel as possible.

I'd continue the mask requirement for any public transit, any public spaces. Continued emphasis on social distancing.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I watch Tucker to get my heart rate up so I don’t have to exercise. ;)
a fan

Post by a fan »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:52 pm 7. For places like labs and manufacturing locations where the people really need to be in the physical location to get work done, staggered schedules so people have more elbow room.
This is precisely, exactly what we've done for weeks, with zero prompting from the .gov.

Watch the free market. Folks that are trying to thread the needle and blame government...without blaming Trump, of course....are going to find that any responsible manager/owner doesn't want the virus getting into their workplace.

And this is the case even if they don't give two *hits about their employees. It's about protecting your biz. $$$$.

And right now, as a businessman, I have zero access to testing. If you gave me that? My decision making would change overnight.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Tuesday: "When somebody is president of the United States, your authority is total."

Later Tuesday: "I'm authorizing" states to make their own decisions.

FYI, states/governors don't need Trump's authorization.

Wednesday: ""You [governors] are going to call your own shots." Then offers suggestions.

:roll:
Last edited by ggait on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Watch the free market. And this is the case even if they don't give two *hits about their employees. It's about protecting your biz. $$$$. And right now, as a businessman, I have zero access to testing. If you gave me that? My decision making would change overnight.
Bezos says Amazon is building their own testing lab. Smart.
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:04 pm
ggait wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:52 pm 7. For places like labs and manufacturing locations where the people really need to be in the physical location to get work done, staggered schedules so people have more elbow room.
This is precisely, exactly what we've done for weeks, with zero prompting from the .gov.

Watch the free market. Folks that are trying to thread the needle and blame government...without blaming Trump, of course....are going to find that any responsible manager/owner doesn't want the virus getting into their workplace.

And this is the case even if they don't give two *hits about their employees. It's about protecting your biz. $$$$.

And right now, as a businessman, I have zero access to testing. If you gave me that? My decision making would change overnight.
South Korea did massive early testing in February, ultimately setting up 500 testing centers open to the public.

It’s now past mid-April, and how many testing centers open to the public does the mighty United States of America have?

Imagine, a fan, if you could test each of your employees each week. Wouldn’t that be great?

Might want to write to your Republican Senator and ask about that.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Florida’s new head of unemployment benefits gives some clarity on the current backlog of claims. Of the about 825,000 applications the department has received since last week, only about 35,000 have been processed. @abc27 @abcactionnews @WPTV @Fox4Now
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:52 pm

5. Company gym closed.

Fan -- what will it look like when you go back to making hooch again? Since you are currently operating as an artisanal hand sanitizer factory (+1 for that!!) I assume you probably have a pretty good idea already.
As a small technology company in the healthcare space, we have remained open as an essential enterprise, providing service to the healthcare space, but have everyone working from home at their discretion. People are allowed to work in the office, again at their discretion. Probably have 20 to 30% of employees in office on any given day. We have switched our phone system over so all office calls go to company cell phones. No one has been found COVID positive. Work is getting done, probably a little less than normal efficiency. Biggest problem is accounts receivable have been a little slow pay. Have not lost a single customer or account. Have actually closed an average amount of new business while operating in this fashion. Your wife's company will have no trouble as a technology company, even a very large one.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:55 pm (much omitted)

EVENT 201

How much longer are you going to allow this excuse mongering to fester. Or, are you back tracking Bills 2015 TED talk now? Or, the billions the top doc schools have received to set up guidelines. They don't I blame them.

Seriously, what do YOU take, of value, that you could use, in your business. It's a very quick read. take your time. Here is the link.

feel free to browse other pages, watch the videos. See why events like this are useless. As are all these useless guidelines.

They, again, with recommendations to NOT close business. And you ignore it. It's sad.

blame trump. even tho bill gates said NOT to close business, during a pandemic. This is reality. You not blaming the lack of preparedness on all the agencies, studies, grants to study the grants......

I get it. Without the white collar welfare, yours, and many other cities would perish. Boston included.
Part of the problem is that we did not plan effectively, and when confronted with the problem ignored it hoping it would go away for far too long. So to act like the guidelines (which assume effective planning and the ability to react quickly) are useless is kind of immaterial. We have a situation that because of those lacks is too effed up for those guidelines.

So if you want to be blind to what really happened go ahead...
a fan

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:11 pm Might want to write to your Republican Senator and ask about that.

DocBarrister :?
:lol: You think either of my Senators would take my call?

I don't have to do that. I promise you that business leaders have been telling their Senators and their President that the faster they get tests, thermometers, and PPE, the sooner they can get back to work.....for weeks now.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/new-yor ... -says.html For what it is worth, it is going to take awhile to get NYS up and running again. Starting things up will be a slow drawn out process. The sad reality is way too many of these businesses will ever open up again. I am not criticizing King Andy on this call. There is no other choice than to be as cautious as need be. I feel awful for all the folks out there in business who can see no light at the end of the tunnel.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/ ... 66186.html

Florida Nursing Homes want DeSantis to indemnify them against negligence law suits.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:28 pm

EVENT 201

Part of the problem is that we did not plan effectively, and when confronted with the problem ignored it hoping it would go away for far too long. So to act like the guidelines (which assume effective planning and the ability to react quickly) are useless is kind of immaterial. We have a situation that because of those lacks is too effed up for those guidelines.

That's your take? We here tRump fires some pandemic committee.

We read their completely useless 69 page report. 1/2 of it......not joking, HALF of this "report" is appendix stuff. In, like 60 pt. type.

HHS- stands for HomeLand Security. ......30 pages of that. YIKEs.

Event 201, Bill's 2015 Ted Talk, the ventaltor report I sent. Who's reports, recommendations....and on and on and on.

If you can't see that I am the complete oppostite of blind.

I want to know why we are NOT prepared? Or even what that means.

You, blindly, are taking everything like it's true. Not this guy.

In 1918, Harvard and Hopkins stayed open. Held Commencements. Boston Red Sox won the world series. Business stayed open. Was that the right call?

Why are you not looking at the vagueness of Event 201 offerings? Would you HIRE that? exactly
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
a fan

Post by a fan »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:52 pm Fan -- what will it look like when you go back to making hooch again? Since you are currently operating as an artisanal hand sanitizer factory (+1 for that!!) I assume you probably have a pretty good idea already.
We've been producing this entire time, just not as much as we normally would. We have eight stills----only two of them work in tandem to make 95% abv---the base for sanitizer.

The rest of the stills are free to make other things. Another good business decision we made years ago. More stills instead of one or two big ones allow for flexibility of production, and ease of maintenance.

For us, the products we put on pause won't be sold for a decade+. So it's no big deal.

We're lucky.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:00 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:28 pm

EVENT 201

That's your take? We here tRump fires some pandemic committee.

We read their completely useless 69 page report. 1/2 of it......not joking, HALF of this "report" is appendix stuff. In, like 60 pt. type.

HHS- stands for HomeLand Security. ......30 pages of that. YIKEs.

Event 201, Bill's 2015 Ted Talk, the ventaltor report I sent. Who's reports, recommendations....and on and on and on.

If you can't see that I am the complete oppostite of blind.

I want to know why we are NOT prepared? Or even what that means.

You, blindly, are taking everything like it's true. Not this guy.

In 1918, Harvard and Hopkins stayed open. Held Commencements. Boston Red Sox won the world series. Business stayed open. Was that the right call?

Why are you not looking at the vagueness of Event 201 offerings? Would you HIRE that? exactly
Anarchistic
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”