Where Would Petro Fit Best?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Where Would Petro Fit Best?

Post by CU77 »

Cottle is the closest comparison, maybe Starsia …
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:15 pm Cottle is the closest comparison, maybe Starsia …
Weren’t both older than Petro when they left?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I can think of three relevant inquiries:

1. Is Petro committed to keeping his family in Baltimore, thus possibly limiting the geography of where he'd coach? (Does he have a severance package that would let him stay a couple years for his sons to graduate before moving on to a new HC position?)

2. What other DI programs are there with a coach on the hot seat? Would he be interested in any of those jobs? (He's a year late for Harvard, a couple of years late for Delaware. Dartmouth's hiring of Joe Conner as an assistant and good start prior to the CV-19 end to the lax season has probably bought their HC a couple more years to get a "W" in the Ivy League. Is there anywhere in the Patriot League that might open up?)

3. Are there any newer programs (like Furman with Richie Meade) looking to make a splash by hiring a famous coach? Would Petro be willing to take that sort of job?
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:45 pm I can think of three relevant inquiries:

1. Is Petro committed to keeping his family in Baltimore, thus possibly limiting the geography of where he'd coach? (Does he have a severance package that would let him stay a couple years for his sons to graduate before moving on to a new HC position?)

2. What other DI programs are there with a coach on the hot seat? Would he be interested in any of those jobs? (He's a year late for Harvard, a couple of years late for Delaware. Dartmouth's hiring of Joe Conner as an assistant and good start prior to the CV-19 end to the lax season has probably bought their HC a couple more years to get a "W" in the Ivy League. Is there anywhere in the Patriot League that might open up?)

3. Are there any newer programs (like Furman with Richie Meade) looking to make a splash by hiring a famous coach? Would Petro be willing to take that sort of job?h
I guess Amherst is out of the question?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:45 pm I can think of three relevant inquiries:

3. Are there any newer programs (like Furman with Richie Meade) looking to make a splash by hiring a famous coach? Would Petro be willing to take that sort of job?
I don’t think he’s going to jump back into coaching again till his kids are out of school (which is 2 years.) His comments in this article seem to intimate as much https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html.

So my guess is when he does return, #1 isn’t really a concern.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:45 pm

I don’t think he’s going to jump back into coaching again till his kids are out of school (which is 2 years.) His comments in this article seem to intimate as much https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html.

Good point and thanks for the link.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Possibly a NE Prep school for the twins in the not so near future? Patriots are looking for a new film guy. All makes sense.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:28 pm

He handled himself professionally and with class in this interview. Not a negative thing was said. And let's be honest, that must have been hard to do. Because we all know, there is no such thing as a mutual breakup. If Hopkins wanted to renew his contract, he would have been back. And nothing he said in that article makes me believe otherwise. Given that, again, I think he handled himself really well here.

Part of me wonders, however, if Petro does feel "relieved". Did he think in his heart he was The Greater Fool a la Will McEvoy? Was he trying to keep Hopkins relevant in a world where not many believed Hopkins could be relevant anymore? Was he fighting the good fight knowing full well the time has passed for Hopkins, and schools like them, to be what they once were?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:35 pm

Possibly a NE Prep school for the twins in the not so near future? Patriots are looking for a new film guy. All makes sense.
New film guy....🎬👀😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:39 pm
The Orfling wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:28 pm

He handled himself professionally and with class in this interview. Not a negative thing was said. And let's be honest, that must have been hard to do. Because we all know, there is no such thing as a mutual breakup. If Hopkins wanted to renew his contract, he would have been back. And nothing he said in that article makes me believe otherwise. Given that, again, I think he handled himself really well here.

Part of me wonders, however, if Petro does feel "relieved". Did he think in his heart he was The Greater Fool a la Will McEvoy? Was he trying to keep Hopkins relevant in a world where not many believed Hopkins could be relevant anymore? Was he fighting the good fight knowing full well the time has passed for Hopkins, and schools like them, to be what they once were?
I’m not really sure what this means. What schools are “like Hopkins?” Basically every other program that was good in the 70s and 80s that’s still around today is still really good. Maryland is winning all the time, Syracuse obviously is still a Top 10 team routinely and was #1 this year, North Carolina won a title a few years ago, Cornell was in the Top 5 this year. Army and Navy have regressed but they also have much different admissions policies and are much more difficult to recruit to than Hopkins is. Hopkins was literally in the Final Four 5 years ago and a Top 5 team 2 years ago. They’re bringing in maybe the best recruiting class this year. Hopkins has literally been in the tournament all but 1 time, the idea they’re not relevant anymore isn’t grounded in reality. There’s absolutely no reason Hopkins can’t be as good as Maryland or Duke or Virginia or anyone else. Petro stopped getting them to that level consistently and thus he isn’t the coach anymore.
Homer

Post by Homer »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:38 pm
CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:15 pm Cottle is the closest comparison, maybe Starsia …

DocBarrister
Starsia was 64 when he and UVA parted ways, so yes in that case. Cottle, though, was roughly the same age Petro is now when he was let go at Maryland.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Homer wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:58 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:38 pm

DocBarrister
Starsia was 64 when he and UVA parted ways, so yes in that case. Cottle, though, was roughly the same age Petro is now when he was let go at Maryland.
Thanks, Homer.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

His sons are sophomores or juniors in high school. If he becomes a head coach in another area besides the Baltimore region, it won't be for at least another couple of years.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sowell is getting his feet under him as an assistant at Gilman. I think Sowell still had some fianascial flexibility due to his contract situation though. If nothing pops for him quickly, I see Petro doing the same at BL, for an opportunity to coach his kids.

I think the likely scenario is that Petro lands in the PLL or at one of the domino- effect schools. If Hopkins lands Nads, I could see Petro at Towson, and for as long as he wants to coach.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:55 am Sowell is getting his feet under him as an assistant at Gilman. I think Sowell still had some fianascial flexibility due to his contract situation though. If nothing pops for him quickly, I see Petro doing the same at BL, for an opportunity to coach his kids.

I think the likely scenario is that Petro lands in the PLL or at one of the domino- effect schools. If Hopkins lands Nads, I could see Petro at Towson, and for as long as he wants to coach.
That would indeed be an interesting swap.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I was thinking if Raymond left we could talk Petro into coming to Geneva. Surely he’s a familiar with the program from his Cornell years.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Goes to Potomac State.

Stars in "Last Chance U - Revenge of the Long Poles".

Becomes a reality TV star, and then...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:21 am I was thinking if Raymond left we could talk Petro into coming to Geneva. Surely he’s a familiar with the program from his Cornell years.
If Petro wants to relocate, absolutely. He would have to make arrangements or concessions with his family though.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Carroll81 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:21 am Goes to Potomac State.

Stars in "Last Chance U - Revenge of the Long Poles".

Becomes a reality TV star, and then...
Potomac State has a good coach laying the groundwork there...I wouldnt want to push him out-

Send him to Catonsville CC, to resurrect that old, defunct JUCO program!

At the D1 level, get him to resurrect Radford...or NC State!

:D
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”