All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:55 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:43 pm
Tell us again how Trump stole your lunch money in the '80's (& why we should care).

Probably some new readers who haven't heard your personal tale of woe.
Yada yada yada
🤡

Btw, we were posting at the same time and I wasn’t quoting RRR.... the Seinfeld post wasn’t directed at you....it appeared as such.

🤡🤡
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:37 pm The excitement over Chloroquine is not because of its scientific consensus promise. It is because a con-artist is pushing it and that con-artist because of his position has dollars behind him. While that drug is being pushed, others, perhaps more promising are not. There is an awful lot of hype, far more than is warranted associated with this, on both sides of the debate.
Lay out the money trail for us.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:23 pm Old Salt himself has said many times that Trump is unfit for office. So for heaven's sake, wouldn't you expect MORE criticism headed his way when that's the case?
It's useless. It's not going to remove him from office. There's nothing I can say that multiple others have not ?
That's fine, but that didn't keep you from discussing and criticizing Obama every day for 8 years. No one gave you grief when you did that, and say "why are you doing this? He's not going to be removed from office you know?"

We talk about...and criticize.... our leaders and our government here.

Do you think criticism will shut off for Biden, if he wins?

:lol: I sure don't.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:23 pm Old Salt himself has said many times that Trump is unfit for office. So for heaven's sake, wouldn't you expect MORE criticism headed his way when that's the case?
It's useless. It's not going to remove him from office. There's nothing I can say that multiple others have not ?

I want the people who are willing to work for him to succeed in implementing the policies of which I approve.
How dare you! 😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:25 pm (stuff omitted)

V-19? Don't want to gripe, but what percentage of healthy US citizens are dying from this? Compared to to other SARS events? The 1918 flu, had every reason to freak out. But, you still could be with your child, 100 years ago. As bad as it was. I truly do not know. Did they protocol prohibit your, in 1918, from attending to a dying loved on. Skin on skin. Breathing the same air. As bad as it was, did this happen?
From what I read - and much of the data is preliminary, the death rates are higher than the flu (across all sorts of age groups), and lower than the original SARS event. While comorbidities (complicating health issues) make the death rate higher for those patients - this disease can infect the healthiest as well, and while the death rate for a very healthy person is quite a bit lower than one who is not, the CV-19 infection can be quite damaging to those who survive. Heart and lung issues (damage, and maybe permanent damage) both have been seen in recovered patients.

R_nought without any kind of social distancing seems to be roughly 3. Normal flu is 1.3. Makes a huge difference in how fast a single infection turns into a nightmare because the functions are exponential, at least at the point of initial breakout. That is one reason why this is nowhere near the experience of the flu. The SARS episode a number of years ago also had a relatively low R_nought. Deadlier, but with the lower rate of spread MUCH easier to get a handle on it. That is why the total death toll is much less.

Now back to 1918 - flu has been infecting people for centuries, and there is a partial immunity built up in a substantial fraction of the population because there is a good chance of having had previously a related version of the flu. And given that the rate of spreading for the flu is not as high, you did not always have to isolate family when someone was dying, as long as you took some care.

But this is more like the situation with ebola - there the disease was so likely fatal that if you did not take extraordinary precautions you stood a good chance of dying. So no hand holding for dying patients in general, just like here. The isolation here (CV-19) is not to keep family from dying as much as keep them from spreading it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:02 pm
That's fine, but that didn't keep you from discussing and criticizing Obama every day for 8 years. No one gave you grief when you did that, and say "why are you doing this? He's not going to be removed from office you know?"

Biden deserves and has earned it. 😘
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

:lol: There it is.

You'll get no argument from me! I don't like the guy, and have said as much many times..... he's part of the Corporate Dems.

I'm going to get a chuckle out of watching the "be gentle on Trump, it's not all his fault. Governing is hard" attitude go right out the window if/when we get a D in the White House. ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

Should have believed the Benghazi video story & that ISIS were the JV's.
...at least we won't be accused of being racist if we question Biden's policies.
runrussellrun

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by runrussellrun »

CU88 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Trump Administration Officials Warned Against Halting Funding to WHO, Leaked Memo Shows
A draft State Department memo says the move would “cede ground” to China and hobble the global response to the coronavirus pandemic.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trum ... memo-shows
An internal memorandum written by U.S. officials and addressed to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warns that cutting funding to the World Health Organization, as President Donald Trump said he would do Tuesday, would erode America’s global standing, threaten U.S. lives and hobble global efforts to combat the coronavirus pandemic.

The memo, which was prepared before Trump’s Rose Garden announcement, was written by officials within the State Department’s Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs and includes a detailed list of how U.S. funding to the WHO helps countries in the Middle East control the pandemic.

A draft version of the memo, which was labeled “Sensitive But Unclassified” and was titled “Information Memo for the Secretary,” was seen by ProPublica.
Put tRump to the side , for the moment. Are you telling us, now, that you are NOT interested in studying what is going on at W.H.O. ? Not, at all? Regardless of which TAATS is potusa ?

it's happy hour, bring on the tRump bashing. You know, you dont have to watch it.....

Nothing wrong with a audit, and I am sure that they are done, but maybe not best to do so in the middle of a Pandemic?
RIght, b/c, war profiteering watchdog groups, are so effective, in hindsite. War profiteers could be hung. And, should be.

It is literally the MOST cruicial time to have an audit, during a pandemic. Just like in war. Big difference between, "dude, come on, it only costs you 5 cents to make, you are charging us $5 dollars ", several years later, when no one cares, and the next "event" is prohibiting an audit, yet again, and you excuse it.

But, if by "audit", you mean investigation into why protocols went they way they did. Why they (W.H.O. ) waited until March 11, to call the pandemic, world wide?

Let me get this straight. We should LISTEN, and DO, what they say.....TODAY.
but, in a few years, when an investigation is done, we find that the whole thing was mostly overblown? That the people you know, many committing suicide, it was all b/c of a few quacks ? That WHO is no different than world cup soccer, or olympics, figure skating, lax rpi invites, etc.

WAR, or in this case, pandemic, is PRECISELY the right time for following the law. It's what makes us humans. Civilized. People who state, "now is not the time", are defending the actions of ethical misdeeds, at best. Frankly, it sounds like something tRump would say.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 pm Should have believed the Benghazi video story & that ISIS were the JV's.
And I should have believed Mexico would build that wall.

ISIS was the JV. They came out the open, and were snuffed out in massive numbers. Idiots. OBL hid after his attack for....how many years, directing terrorism?

Which team did more damage to the US? It's not even a close call.
old salt wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 pm ...at least we won't be accused of being racist if we question Biden's policies.
Oh, I'm quite certain DocB will come up with some nutty slur for you.... ;)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 pm

Should have believed the Benghazi video story & that ISIS were the JV's.
...at least we won't be accused of being racist if we question Biden's policies.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The what had been apparent shoulder / top has now disappeared as we have our second consecutive worst daily death rate day. Siting at 28,500 total deaths means we are rapidly now approaching the governments working model total death toll of 60 - 70 K (latest estimate) for the first wave. We will likely be half way there at COB tomorrow. Projection is now looking less good. Haven't watched any of the recent daily pressers, but I have to believe, this has the scientists concerned. You aren't returning to work until the orange curve decreases significantly.

Note that NYS' share of the total and daily deaths is declining as multiple other states begin to drive the curves.
US Deaths 4-15-20.jpg
US Deaths 4-15-20.jpg (125.04 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

No problem with Chloroquine. Works like a charm says Brazilian clinician conducting clinical trial. Safe enough for Donald Trump to take. Dean of Harvard Medical School says "I just don't understand why we did not think of this."
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Trump Administration Reportedly Wants to Cut Farmworker Wages
They’re essential workers. They’re risking their lives. And yet!

https://modernfarmer.com/2020/04/the-tr ... ker-wages/

Certain workers, like grocery store clerks, were never before given much in the way of pay or recognition, but are considered essential during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Those workers have, in the case of grocery store clerks, organized for better pay, sometimes with the assistance of politicians who recognize how vital they are during this time. Farmworkers have qualified for part of this: they are now considered essential workers, for example. Other parts, like actually getting paid for risking their lives to keep the country alive? Not so much.

A new report from NPR finds that the Trump administration—specifically White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and USDA chief Sonny Perdue—is working “to see how to reduce wage rates” for foreign agricultural workers ... they have not been given any of the protections that essential workers during a health crisis should have: not enough masks, gloves, health care, or space in their living accommodations

Reduced wages, horrible work conditions, less food & worker safety. For those of you who have been praising tRUMP, what have you to say now?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NYC improves their death toll by adding 3700 “presumed” deaths due to Corona:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... s.amp.html
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MIchigan protesting stay-at-home order:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/us/michi ... index.html

Here in Maryland, face-masks will be required in stores or on public transportation, starting Saturday :roll:
Live Free or Die!
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

God forbid you inconvenience yourself by not being able to cough directly on someone.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Here in Maryland, face-masks will be required in stores or on public transportation, starting Saturday
I'm wearing a mask to keep me from infecting you.

So if you are not willing to return the favor by wearing a mask to keep from infecting me, then you should stay off my forking bus. And stay out of my forking grocery store.

And have you considered how big the exposure is (even with masks) for the people serving you in the stores and on public transport? You think they should be put at even more risk so you can go commando? Besides, you'd probably be doing us all a favor if you covered up that ugly mug.

But feel free to go rally with a bunch of other anti-maskers if you want. Spit, sneeze and cough on each other to your heart's content. Just leave me out of it.

Sheesh!!!

P.S. All the aisles in my grocery store today had one-way traffic signs. Clever idea that I first heard about here on LP.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:00 am
Here in Maryland, face-masks will be required in stores or on public transportation, starting Saturday
I'm wearing a mask to keep me from infecting you.
So many people seem to get the purpose of things backwards.

Social Security is another example. It's not there for me. It's to protect me from the bad financial decisions and bad luck of others.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Ask Trump if 60,000 dead is a tragedy, he'd take it as a personal insult—it's less than 100,000!

If 100,000 die, that will be less than 200,000

In February he said it would be 0

In truth, to Trump 2 million dead and 0 dead are equal values.

The outcome was never the priority.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”