D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:44 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:19 am
steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:58 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Those are positive attributes that may be more appealing to recruits than the coach. I am not sure if Hopkins is a better job than Gtown right now. Maybe the Richmond or High Point coach?
I've seem some absurd comments on this board and I've even so of those absurd comments but this might be the most ridiculous post ever.

G-Town is not a better job that Hopkins. To even say otherwise, is to demonstrate a lack of common sense. You are basically saying Oregon is a better football program moving forward because it ended up higher rank this year than Alabama at the end of the season.

Hopkins gets infinitely more doors open to recruits, better games, more TV exposure, better opponents, is always in consideration for being selected into the tournament, and is the prime sport on campus. Even at 2-4 this year, if Hopkins ran the table and only played in the B1G championship game, they would likely be in tournament. Do you think G-town can say the same thing? Of course not. It is also more pressure. There isn't a question about it.

Saying that if the job was offered to Warne and he turned it down doesn't mean that G-Town is better a program than Hopkins but that it is a better fit for Warne. (Note, I don't think he's getting the job).
I didn’t say GTown job was better. I am not sure Hopkins is any better a job right now for Warne. It’s like Notre Dame football. Just not as plum as it once was and not everyone will jump. Hopkins is still a marquee program but there are lots of places where a coach can win.
This season where Georgetown beat 5 not good teams and now has this what could of been about a team that hadn't even proven they were good yet is the best thing that could have happened to Warne. Hopkins is a better job and he would be nuts to not use this leverage to take it if he could. Because from what I've seen it is far far from guaranteed it ever comes back.
For enough money, it might be worth it.
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:34 am I feel like lots of people saw this writing on the wall and said the same thing when Hopkins joined the B1G.
It was an ego stroke for Hopkins to get an invite to join an elite athletics conference. But ultimately having to compete there regularly (as a D3 school otherwise) has been their lax program's downfall.
Hopkins is 16-9 in regular season B1G games (19-13 including playoffs), has never finished worse than a tie for 2nd and has won two of the five tournament championships. Maryland is the only other team with multiple conference titles.

Since 2015 when the conference started, records against:

Maryland - 4-4
Penn State - 3-3
Ohio State - 3-4
Michigan - 5-0
Rutgers- 4-2

"Having to compete there regularly"—seems like they've been doing okay. Why aren't we talking about how bad this has been for Rutgers? Should it go independent?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Last edited by kramerica.inc on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

LRoggy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:15 pm
VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm Raymond also has the added benefit of coaching a D1 sport at a D3 school already. I may be wrong but I think there are some very unique compliance and recruiting challenges that come with that.

He's the betting favorite to get the job I think.
There was some talk on the Hobart thread that Raymond's wife is very connected to Geneva. Believe it or not 8-) that's a huge consideration.
She's a William Smith grad. And both of them are from the general area. One last thing is that she gave birth about a week ago. Staying close to family might be a big impediment to moving. He's a big fish in that pond.
This being the case, I would think it ill advised to enter an environment where they eat their young. Just sayin'.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 am To the alums that helped orchestrate this:

I hope you are confident in your search firm. There are exactly three (THREE!) current coaches with Petro’s resume (Danowski, Desko, and Tierney). Multiple national championships, multiple final fours, etc.

In 2009, there was a hall of fame coach with a similar resume as Petro. His team was “floundering” in the context of the standards set by his own success. Like Petro, this man was coaching at a prestigious academic institution and was revered there. He had a few years of not even making it to the quarterfinals or even out of the first round. He hadn’t won a championship in 8 years (gasp!). Recently he had suffered early round exits to lower seeded mid majors and squeaked out a one point win in what would have been the biggest upset in tournament history, only to lose to a lower seeded team in the next round.

Thankfully, Duke didn’t fire Coach K. He went on to win the national championship again in 2010 and 2015.

The grass isn’t always greener. I hope the alums and administration took a hard look in the mirror before concluding Petro was the problem. Did they consider that perhaps Petro was keeping the program afloat? That without him it would have been irrelevant? In the murder capital of the United States, an expensive liberal arts school with rigorous academics...perhaps Petro wasn’t doing a bad job. Maybe he was doing a great job and the program would have been far worse without him.

ps. I don’t know how much of this, if any, I actually believe. “The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it.” -Aristotle

You can define that line above however you want, but to be perfectly blunt, John Tillman imo is the best active coach in D1 bar none. The Terps are always 'there'.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:58 am
VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm Raymond also has the added benefit of coaching a D1 sport at a D3 school already. I may be wrong but I think there are some very unique compliance and recruiting challenges that come with that.

There was some talk on the Hobart thread that Raymond's wife is very connected to Geneva. Believe it or not 8-) that's a huge consideration.
She's a William Smith grad. And both of them are from the general area. One last thing is that she gave birth about a week ago. Staying close to family might be a big impediment to moving. He's a big fish in that pond.
This being the case, I would think it ill advised to enter an environment where they eat their young. Just sayin'.
Well, some idiot maniac Hobart fan just joked that we should pull a David Bowie in labyrinth with the kid to keep him in town....
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Yep. Take a recruiting trip. It’s no comparison. A friend’s son visited Michigan. He said it was the most impressive recruiting trip they took.... before the lacrosse facility was completed... he also visited Duke and UNC and ended up at Maryland. The resources for athletes at OSU are just ridiculous. Two friends were football captains there with sons playing at UM (captain) and Purdue. Those schools were not The Ohio State University.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The more I think about it I am liking Warne better as a fit. Or Penn coach (I’m so mixed up can’t remember if it’s Murphy or Voelker now, sad, may as well have suggested that Penn coach Marc Van A...)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:04 am
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:58 am

Well, some idiot maniac Hobart fan just joked that we should pull a David Bowie in labyrinth with the kid to keep him in town....
Wouldn't trade the Finger Lakes for Baltimore for all the tea in China, thought it was a big mistake when Urick left for Georgetown too. Don't care if it's more money, it's not like he and his family are starving in Geneva. Much nicer environment to raise a family up here, IMO, plenty of lacrosse too.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:59 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 am To the alums that helped orchestrate this:

I hope you are confident in your search firm. There are exactly three (THREE!) current coaches with Petro’s resume (Danowski, Desko, and Tierney). Multiple national championships, multiple final fours, etc.

In 2009, there was a hall of fame coach with a similar resume as Petro. His team was “floundering” in the context of the standards set by his own success. Like Petro, this man was coaching at a prestigious academic institution and was revered there. He had a few years of not even making it to the quarterfinals or even out of the first round. He hadn’t won a championship in 8 years (gasp!). Recently he had suffered early round exits to lower seeded mid majors and squeaked out a one point win in what would have been the biggest upset in tournament history, only to lose to a lower seeded team in the next round.

Thankfully, Duke didn’t fire Coach K. He went on to win the national championship again in 2010 and 2015.

The grass isn’t always greener. I hope the alums and administration took a hard look in the mirror before concluding Petro was the problem. Did they consider that perhaps Petro was keeping the program afloat? That without him it would have been irrelevant? In the murder capital of the United States, an expensive liberal arts school with rigorous academics...perhaps Petro wasn’t doing a bad job. Maybe he was doing a great job and the program would have been far worse without him.

ps. I don’t know how much of this, if any, I actually believe. “The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it.” -Aristotle

You can define that line above however you want, but to be perfectly blunt, John Tillman imo is the best active coach in D1 bar none. The Terps are always 'there'.
+1

Pretty accurate statement. While Coach Tillman's style is quirky (ipads, REALLY ? ) and often I don't like it, the great thing about Tillman is that HE doesn't like his style. He CHANGES it. Adapts to the players. He's even changing faster, with in seasons.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:13 am Much nicer environment to raise a family up here, IMO, plenty of lacrosse too.
You know the coach doesn't have to live and raise his family in the west side of Baltimore city right? There are some extremely nice suburbs within commuting distance of Homewood with some of the best schools (public and private) in the entire country. Excellent environments to raise a family. Bonus: The weather is better and you're also not in the middle of nowhere.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:28 am
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:13 am Much nicer environment to raise a family up here, IMO, plenty of lacrosse too.
You know the coach doesn't have to live and raise his family in the west side of Baltimore city right? There are some extremely nice suburbs within commuting distance of Homewood with some of the best schools (public and private) in the entire country. Excellent environments to raise a family. Bonus: The weather is better and you're also not in the middle of nowhere.
Yup, nothing says "home" like a 2 hour commute, each way, say from Mt. Airy or Gibson Island.

Some people like colder weather. Ever been to Scotland? Norway?

It's kinda of nice to be able to walk to work. Even ride a bike. But, the point's not lost on you ;)
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

norcalhop wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:55 am
PrimeTime21 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 am What a massive failure by the braindead pencil neck geeks at Hop. As usual

Yeah, Hop sucks. But Petro is not the reason they suck. Petro is going to win a couple nattys at a place that will let him work, bookmark this post.

Hopkins issues are an extreme SJW infection, horrendous location, lack of a “fun” environment, extremely quastionable coeds, and generally not a lot to appeal to a lax bro or his family. Having a dope Med school doesn’t appeal to guys who plan on working at a hedge fund. And if guys were willing to live in a third world hovel of despair in exchange for academic “preftige” they’d choose Yale or UPenn. Hop is just sad.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Stick to high school lax.
I don't know, I think there's plenty of truth in PrimTime's post, though I don't agree with all of the sentiments. One thing about rooting for Hopkins growing up was the thought that these guys were not just incredible players, but smart too. As one gets older, you still root for these guys because they balance athleticism and books smarts at such a world renowned institution. One reason I loved watching Reeves and Conrad was this. But higher ed has changed and players aren't exactly becoming doctors. They're becoming social media influencers, youtubers, and summer camp coaches. That's not a knock, but you just don't need to go to Hop to do that.

The City of Baltimore undoubtedly plays a role in the demise of Hopkins lacrosse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The Finger Lakes is hardly in the middle of nowhere, plenty to do up here and that daily short little commute he'd be making down there is probably longer in time/farther in miles than a trip to Rochester, Syracuse, Ithaca, etc. You can make your hour long trip from the suburbs to Hop, or a fifteen minute commute from your place on Seneca Lake to Bart....I know what I'm picking. Plenty of good schools up here too...these two are from the area too, they know it snows in these parts. Plenty of darn good places to go skiing and for the kids to go sledding, etc. Pretty darn nice area all in all.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:53 am
PrimeTime21 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 am What a massive failure by the braindead pencil neck geeks at Hop. As usual

Yeah, Hop sucks. But Petro is not the reason they suck. Petro is going to win a couple nattys at a place that will let him work, bookmark this post.

Hopkins issues are an extreme SJW infection, horrendous location, lack of a “fun” environment, extremely quastionable coeds, and generally not a lot to appeal to a lax bro or his family. Having a dope Med school doesn’t appeal to guys who plan on working at a hedge fund. And if guys were willing to live in a third world hovel of despair in exchange for academic “preftige” they’d choose Yale or UPenn. Hop is just sad.
I don't know, I think there's plenty of truth in PrimTime's post, though I don't agree with all of the sentiments. One thing about rooting for Hopkins growing up was the thought that these guys were not just incredible players, but smart too. As one gets older, you still root for these guys because they balance athleticism and books smarts at such a world renowned institution. One reason I loved watching Reeves and Conrad was this. But higher ed has changed and players aren't exactly becoming doctors. They're becoming social media influencers, youtubers, and summer camp coaches. That's not a knock, but you just don't need to go to Hop to do that.

The City of Baltimore undoubtedly plays a role in the demise of Hopkins lacrosse.
I don't know, plenty of STEM majors at good lacrosse schools. Now that Merrimack is Div. I, the list grows.

regarding Baltimore, homewood harry's......Look in the mirror........Hopkins spent it's energy and effort building its endowment, while the city crumbled around them. Cities Fate was finally sealed, Started when the Mayor hired the southern poverty law centers top TERRORIST group to "handle" security of the projects

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

...and more recently, the rest of you just scurried away from Canton & Fells point, over to the "Hill". Now that's over too.

so, for decades, the folks just continued to just drive on past West Baltimore, ya know, out to the suburbs, where coach can live .........was Baltimore the murder #1 in 1995 ?
johnnyonthegunpowder

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:07 am
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:53 am

I don't know, plenty of STEM majors at good lacrosse schools. Now that Merrimack is Div. I, the list grows.

regarding Baltimore, homewood harry's......Look in the mirror........Hopkins spent it's energy and effort building its endowment, while the city crumbled around them. Cities Fate was finally sealed, Started when the Mayor hired the southern poverty law centers top TERRORIST group to "handle" security of the projects

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

...and more recently, the rest of you just scurried away from Canton & Fells point, over to the "Hill". Now that's over too.

so, for decades, the folks just continued to just drive on past West Baltimore, ya know, out to the suburbs, where coach can live .........was Baltimore the murder #1 in 1995 ?
I agree about the STEM majors, Russel. My point is that Hopkins lacrosse players specifically are Youtubers, tweeters, tiktokers etc.., and you don't have to go to Hopkins to do that.
johnnyonthegunpowder

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:55 am
The Finger Lakes is hardly in the middle of nowhere, plenty to do up here and that daily short little commute he'd be making down there is probably longer in time/farther in miles than a trip to Rochester, Syracuse, Ithaca, etc. You can make your hour long trip from the suburbs to Hop, or a fifteen minute commute from your place on Seneca Lake to Bart....I know what I'm picking. Plenty of good schools up here too...these two are from the area too, they know it snows in these parts. Plenty of darn good places to go skiing and for the kids to go sledding, etc. Pretty darn nice area all in all.
And looking at the area on my ONx map, the turkey hunting looks pretty good too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty good is an understatement, and I might add that those birds are MIGHTY tasty (nothing like domestic/store bought).
Have managed to get a few from the woods/fields to the oven...my, my, my!! Pheasants too, crazy good.
johnnyonthegunpowder

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 am Pretty good is an understatement, and I might add that those birds are MIGHTY tasty (nothing like domestic/store bought).
Have managed to get a few from the woods/fields to the oven...my, my, my!! Pheasants too, crazy good.
Yeah, I just went down a wormhole of northern New York upland searches, and there's a lot of public land up there compared to the rest of the east. Values and work/life balance are only becoming more pronounced in the age of Covid, especially for young families.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, those down south think it snows and we're all couped up for 359 days a year up here. Hardly the case. Yes, plenty of places to hunt and fish in NYS. Lot of water (good water) in NYS too...plenty and plenty of lakes. When I was a kid there were pheasants everywhere, tons of them. For some reason the turkies have taken over, they really are everywhere, including where my youngest's little Ponderosa is :D . Very nice pace of life up this way and we're pretty darn good at dealing with the snow. Now we just have to figure out a way get some of those Chesapeake Bay crabs to live in our lakes (I know they're salt water)....damn they're good!!!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”