Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by oldbartman »

Questions for the Hopkins faithful....... With the "we want to win NOW" mentality/focus of the JHU alumni, 1) how much time will the alumni give the new coach to get back to championship weekend? 2) What person will want the pressure that comes with the job? Yes, all coaches are expected to win, and work hard to have their teams do so. But, with maybe the exceptions of Cuse and Maryland, there is no other job that comes with such high expectations and pressure as the HC at Hopkins.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

What a massive failure by the braindead pencil neck geeks at Hop. As usual

Yeah, Hop sucks. But Petro is not the reason they suck. Petro is going to win a couple nattys at a place that will let him work, bookmark this post.

Hopkins issues are an extreme SJW infection, horrendous location, lack of a “fun” environment, extremely quastionable coeds, and generally not a lot to appeal to a lax bro or his family. Having a dope Med school doesn’t appeal to guys who plan on working at a hedge fund. And if guys were willing to live in a third world hovel of despair in exchange for academic “preftige” they’d choose Yale or UPenn. Hop is just sad.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:35 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:17 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:11 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:58 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:49 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:34 pm
VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm Raymond also has the added benefit of coaching a D1 sport at a D3 school already. I may be wrong but I think there are some very unique compliance and recruiting challenges that come with that.

He's the betting favorite to get the job I think.

Yup. A lock.

(and Tech37: his wife is a Morgan Stanley wealth adviser; my Baltimore boys tell me Baltimore has a large Morgan Stanley office; from Auburn NY, went to William Smith)
PB, love your usual enthusiasm...but "my Baltimore boys"...I'm retching. If it turns out Raymond refuses an offer, I will sooo remember this cocksure post of yours ;)

I’ll be here! As a Hounds fan, I’d rather Hop make a mistake. But those two women running the athletic office seem like they know what they’re doing unfortunately. Which means Coach Raymond will be a Blue Jay. He’ll bring the family down after he settles in.
Can you say...N a d e l i n... PB?

Don’t see it. But who knows.

He’d be my second pick.
:D Ah, you schmoozer...

Any chance HOP goes DIII, PB?

Sacrilegious! Dude Hop will be back on top within two years. Great classes coming in. Look I hate them but the cupboard is full. New coach will attract even more. That stadium will rock again.
Oh I agree, I would not want to see JHU go DIII either. It was mentioned on the JHU thread and I simply asked your opinion. Thanks.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 am What a massive failure by the braindead pencil neck geeks at Hop. As usual

Yeah, Hop sucks. But Petro is not the reason they suck. Petro is going to win a couple nattys at a place that will let him work, bookmark this post.

Hopkins issues are an extreme SJW infection, horrendous location, lack of a “fun” environment, extremely quastionable coeds, and generally not a lot to appeal to a lax bro or his family. Having a dope Med school doesn’t appeal to guys who plan on working at a hedge fund. And if guys were willing to live in a third world hovel of despair in exchange for academic “preftige” they’d choose Yale or UPenn. Hop is just sad.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Stick to high school lax.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 am What a massive failure by the braindead pencil neck geeks at Hop. As usual

There is no question that (as I have written before) older alumni might rely on hazy memories where there was one kooky DOGEE professor, and a Chaplain who might have hosted one-too-many Maryknollers, but extreme? Recall, from more than a decade ago, the Gang of 88 at Duke. It was not surprising that some proportion of the faculty privately thought that way, or even that they knew they could publicly admit it with no repercussions. What was surprising was no public rebuttal. If any member of the faculty actually disagreed, nobody, not a single tenured professor felt safe doing so publicly. I do not think JHU is an extreme case. Typical, sure. Extreme? Show your work.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

It may have been time for a change in normal times, but now?? You know the thought "people who don't seek authority/power are the best when given authority/power"? How would you really feel about a HEAD coach who leaves his program at this moment in time for greener pastures. (Despite their on-field issues, Hop certainly is a greener pasture).
Personally I would be concerned; we all hear these guys talk about commitment, 'Team', brotherhood, 'family'... In normal times it's a given to take this stuff with a grain of salt when balanced against career issues, but now the young men and the school need these ideas to have real meaning.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Those are positive attributes that may be more appealing to recruits than the coach. I am not sure if Hopkins is a better job than Gtown right now. Maybe the Richmond or High Point coach?
I've seem some absurd comments on this board and I've even so of those absurd comments but this might be the most ridiculous post ever.

G-Town is not a better job that Hopkins. To even say otherwise, is to demonstrate a lack of common sense. You are basically saying Oregon is a better football program moving forward because it ended up higher rank this year than Alabama at the end of the season.

Hopkins gets infinitely more doors open to recruits, better games, more TV exposure, better opponents, is always in consideration for being selected into the tournament, and is the prime sport on campus. Even at 2-4 this year, if Hopkins ran the table and only played in the B1G championship game, they would likely be in tournament. Do you think G-town can say the same thing? Of course not. It is also more pressure. There isn't a question about it.

Saying that if the job was offered to Warne and he turned it down doesn't mean that G-Town is better a program than Hopkins but that it is a better fit for Warne. (Note, I don't think he's getting the job).
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

norcalhop wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:55 am

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Stick to high school lax.
I do...

ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:58 am
Those are positive attributes that may be more appealing to recruits than the coach. I am not sure if Hopkins is a better job than Gtown right now. Maybe the Richmond or High Point coach?
I've seem some absurd comments on this board and I've even so of those absurd comments but this might be the most ridiculous post ever.

G-Town is not a better job that Hopkins. To even say otherwise, is to demonstrate a lack of common sense. You are basically saying Oregon is a better football program moving forward because it ended up higher rank this year than Alabama at the end of the season.

Hopkins gets infinitely more doors open to recruits, better games, more TV exposure, better opponents, is always in consideration for being selected into the tournament, and is the prime sport on campus. Even at 2-4 this year, if Hopkins ran the table and only played in the B1G championship game, they would likely be in tournament. Do you think G-town can say the same thing? Of course not. It is also more pressure. There isn't a question about it.

Saying that if the job was offered to Warne and he turned it down doesn't mean that G-Town is better a program than Hopkins but that it is a better fit for Warne. (Note, I don't think he's getting the job).
I didn’t say GTown job was better. I am not sure Hopkins is any better a job right now for Warne. It’s like Notre Dame football. Just not as plum as it once was and not everyone will jump. Hopkins is still a marquee program but there are lots of places where a coach can win.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A more apt comparison would be comparing Hopkins lacrosse to Notre Dame in Football. Both teams with lots of tradition, high expectations from casual fans, and not a ton of sustained recent success.

Like ND, at this point, Hopkins is more of a lax brand than a lax program. The NCAA wants ND on TV because their is name recognition, not because it's a superior football team.

Same with those top kids in each recruiting class. They all will always say, "Ooh, Hopkins!" and then choose to play for one of the Alabamas of lax- Duke, UMD or UVA.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Did you just compare Duke/UVA to Alabama? Excellent way to shat on those schools while making your point. Nice.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:25 am Did you just compare Duke/UVA to Alabama? Excellent way to shat on those schools while making your point. Nice.
:lol:
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:22 am

A more apt comparison would be comparing Hopkins lacrosse to Notre Dame in Football. Both teams with lots of tradition, high expectations from casual fans, and not a ton of sustained recent success.

Like ND, at this point, Hopkins is more of a lax brand than a lax program. The NCAA wants ND on TV because their is name recognition, not because it's a superior football team.

Same with those top kids in each recruiting class. They all will always say, "Ooh, Hopkins!" and then choose to play for one of the Alabamas of lax- Duke, UMD or UVA.
That is my take. I was just telling a friend of mine that watched the Syracuse game from the Cordish Center with Mr. Cordish in attendance the same thing. He agreed. Those old days are just that...old days. Program will still be competitive but the school is not going to put the money in the student athlete that UMd, Duke, OSU and UVA are investing. A recruiting visit to Duke, OSU and Maryland is very different than a visit to Hopkins. Hopkins is more Ivy League like. The next coach will do well. Good young talent on the roster and in the pipeline. Not being saddled with 8th, 9th and 10th grade recruits will be helpful to the new coach.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I feel like lots of people saw this writing on the wall and said the same thing when Hopkins joined the B1G.
It was an ego stroke for Hopkins to get an invite to join an elite athletics conference. But ultimately having to compete there regularly (as a D3 school otherwise) has been their lax program's downfall.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Not generally but specifically, does anyone know who is on the search committee? No knowledge of JHU but past knowledge of other search committees shows a lot about who they chase and who they will not.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:34 am I feel like lots of people saw this writing on the wall and said the same thing when Hopkins joined the B1G.
It was an ego stroke for Hopkins to get an invite to join an elite athletics conference. But ultimately having to compete there regularly has been their program's downfall.
I tried to explain this to my best friend that has been a Hopkins fan for all of his life. Hopkins is not going to make the same investment in an athlete that PSU and OSU are making. The school has different priorities. He kept making the point that JHU has the money.... but it’s not about the money. HPY has the money too but their spend on sports won’t be nearly as high as power 5 schools. Different priorities.
“I wish you would!”
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:19 am

I didn’t say GTown job was better. I am not sure Hopkins is any better a job right now for Warne. It’s like Notre Dame football. Just not as plum as it once was and not everyone will jump. Hopkins is still a marquee program but there are lots of places where a coach can win.
This season where Georgetown beat 5 not good teams and now has this what could of been about a team that hadn't even proven they were good yet is the best thing that could have happened to Warne. Hopkins is a better job and he would be nuts to not use this leverage to take it if he could. Because from what I've seen it is far far from guaranteed it ever comes back.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

To the alums that helped orchestrate this:

I hope you are confident in your search firm. There are exactly three (THREE!) current coaches with Petro’s resume (Danowski, Desko, and Tierney). Multiple national championships, multiple final fours, etc.

In 2009, there was a hall of fame coach with a similar resume as Petro. His team was “floundering” in the context of the standards set by his own success. Like Petro, this man was coaching at a prestigious academic institution and was revered there. He had a few years of not even making it to the quarterfinals or even out of the first round. He hadn’t won a championship in 8 years (gasp!). Recently he had suffered early round exits to lower seeded mid majors and squeaked out a one point win in what would have been the biggest upset in tournament history, only to lose to a lower seeded team in the next round.

Thankfully, Duke didn’t fire Coach K. He went on to win the national championship again in 2010 and 2015.

The grass isn’t always greener. I hope the alums and administration took a hard look in the mirror before concluding Petro was the problem. Did they consider that perhaps Petro was keeping the program afloat? That without him it would have been irrelevant? In the murder capital of the United States, an expensive liberal arts school with rigorous academics...perhaps Petro wasn’t doing a bad job. Maybe he was doing a great job and the program would have been far worse without him.

ps. I don’t know how much of this, if any, I actually believe. “The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it.” -Aristotle
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:42 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:34 am I feel like lots of people saw this writing on the wall and said the same thing when Hopkins joined the B1G.
It was an ego stroke for Hopkins to get an invite to join an elite athletics conference. But ultimately having to compete there regularly has been their program's downfall.
I tried to explain this to my best friend that has been a Hopkins fan for all of his life. Hopkins is not going to make the same investment in an athlete that PSU and OSU are making. The school has different priorities. He kept making the point that JHU has the money.... but it’s not about the money. HPY has the money too but their spend on sports won’t be nearly as high as power 5 schools. Different priorities.
Exactly. Bloomburg and Cordish money is great. It will get you very far.

But the high-rise building full of people that these big football schools have is hard to compete against- athletic administrators, myriads of ADs, schedulers, equipment staff, training staff, facilities people, PR firm, film breakdown specialists, recruiting assistants etc.
It would boggle the mind. OSU, UM and even UMD are hard to compete against regularly in those departments.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I hear mike Bloomberg has some free time on his hands these days...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”