Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JHUFan

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by JHUFan »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:30 am
GSP wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 am ...and yet you responded.

Explain the timing of the announcement then. Why do it right this moment? Why introduce this added uncertainty into a period of almost HISTORIC uncertainty? Why would you announce the ending of DP's tenure during a period when you cannot interview his replacement. What will that do to recruiting? How will the uncertainty effect current team members? Would this not be a high class way to allow your incoming freshman to get back into the recruiting pool so that they have a fair opportunity to compete for spots against the growing list in the transfer portal?

Why would you time this now if there was not another shoe about to drop?
Because they chose a bad time to do it? "The athletic department had bad timing on getting rid of the coach they were going to fire in May if not for this pandemic" makes more sense than some braindead "the biggest program in the sport is actually going to drop down to D3" logic. You literally have absolute zero logic or ground to stand on here.
Hopkins dropping to d3 in lax might be the single most ridiculous theory I've ever read on this forum. Some of the reasons given are almost as ridiculous as the theory itself.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Explain the timing of the announcement then. Why do it right this moment? Why introduce this added uncertainty into a period of almost HISTORIC uncertainty? Why would you announce the ending of DP's tenure during a period when you cannot interview his replacement. What will that do to recruiting? How will the uncertainty effect current team members? Would this not be a high class way to allow your incoming freshman to get back into the recruiting pool so that they have a fair opportunity to compete for spots against the growing list in the transfer portal?

Because they chose a bad time to do it? "The athletic department had bad timing on getting rid of the coach they were going to fire in May if not for this pandemic" makes more sense than some braindead "the biggest program in the sport is actually going to drop down to D3" logic. You literally have absolute zero logic or ground to stand on here.
You should probably stop responding to clueless posters. They forget Hopkins has a top 15 endowment amongst private schools (>Vandy, USC, Dartmouth, Brown, and basically every other D1 school out there) with 6.3 billion (likely a little less with the market but not by much). That coupled with some very very generous lax alumni means the school will continue attracting top talent. Some people are completely clueless, and then there's GSP. Then again, he did go to Wharton (my safety) for his MBA and couldn't get into Stanford GSB, so no surprise there.
ptjhu

Post by ptjhu »

norcalhop wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:47 am ...he...couldn't get into Stanford GSB.
Maybe his parents couldn't afford to bribe anyone to get into Stanford, which seems to be a way to be admitted there.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:06 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:39 pm Hats off to Coach Pietramala for a great run at his Alma Mater. Best wishes to him and the Hopkins lacrosse program going forward.
Well said, and glad to see no hard feelings about his return to Baltimore.
He did a great job re-calibrating the Cornell program, and setting the stage for a great resurgence under Jeff Tambroni. His going "home" to Hopkins seemed like a natural progression.
He promised Cornell he wouldn't jump to JHU if the job became available and broke his promise as soon as it happened.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

picture this:

Pat March becomes the new head coach of the Hop and announces that his should-have-won-the-tewaarton graduate transfer, Michael Sowers is coming with him!
WeWantMore

Post by WeWantMore »

Thanks for a great run coach. National championships are nice, but the loyalty of your former players speaks volumes to your character as a human being. Good luck to you and your sons. I trust this is not the end of a Peitramala on a D1 field. I can’t wait to see what’s next. Thanks for shaking hands with my boys after the big tournament win down at UVA a couple of years back. You were busy and didn’t need to do it but your commitment to encouraging the next generation was clear. This father appreciates it and the million other things you’ve done for lacrosse when the cameras were turned off. Be well!

-wwm
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:25 am picture this:

Pat March becomes the new head coach of the Hop and announces that his should-have-won-the-tewaarton graduate transfer, Michael Sowers is coming with him!
OUCH! Now cut that out Njlaxx :?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:25 am picture this:

I would assume with so many players in the transfer portal right now, the AD decided to make a move now to get someone in place by early May. I think campus visits could start up again after May and the team could have a new coach by then. The new coach needs to land some of these transfers, especially a goalie. I suspect that she already has several candidates in mind and the Recruiting firm is pretty much a smoke screen, although I'm sure if they turn up someone really promising they'd take a serious look. This new AD seems decisive, serious, and thorough and I have confidence in her.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:11 am
PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:32 am Hopkins is done. It's over.

Nerd school in the legit ghetto. Yeah, everybody is passing.
You seem to post in the NE West and Connecticut forums a lot. Surely you know that Hopkins has not one, not two, but three top 100 commits from Salisbury coming next year, then three more from the area the following year in Demopoulous (Darien), Litchfield (Belmont Hill), and Constantinides (New Fairfield). They'll join former top 100 recruits Owen Murphy (AOF),** Evan Zinn (Staples) and Alex Gainey (St. Sebs) on the current roster, as well as Eddy Glassmeyer (Brunswick), Matt Narewski (New Hampton), and Jack Lyne (Middlesex).

Again, this is just from the northeast area, and just in the last couple of years. In other words, you're a moron. :o :o :roll:
It's only that.......the guys in italics, play in a "new" league. The ISL. Man, they FINALLY were going to a tiered playoff system.

**PG at Avon, only.

"new", b/c inswag lacrosse just discovered the ISL. Most likely your go to source, hopfan16, based on you salivating the recruit rankings. Laughable.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

harflax wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:20 pm https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ana ... story.html

Interesting commentary
Interesting in that it is built upon a strawman with respect to the fanbase wanting to return to the 70s and 80s. No one has said that but 1 Final Four in 12 years less than Loyola is not acceptable. And this isn't to demean Loyola because Loyola has been a great program over the last decade. But, given Hopkins ability to recruit, built in prestige and the fact the schools are about a mile apart and have a comparable AD department (yes, Loyola is DI but it isn't a P5 school) and yet, they seem to have figured out how to win and be competitive against other top programs over the last 5 years.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

JHUFan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:39 am

Hopkins dropping to d3 in lax might be the single most ridiculous theory I've ever read on this forum. Some of the reasons given are almost as ridiculous as the theory itself.
I don't think it is a ridiculous take at all. I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities and one that alumni opposed to that decision should be prepared to be ready to fight it. You can't do that if you are surprised about the decision. For all the Preston article is clueless, he does mention that alot of the big pro-lax guys are at Hopkins any longer. Add in that you have other big donors that have passed away and a President of the school with no real connection to lacrosse and with a view toward his academic legacy than the school itself. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities.

If it happened. I'd probably never step foot on the campus every again. I certainly would give the next 410/516-xxxx call a nice piece of my mind and then block the number to make sure they never to call me again.

As I said, I'm related to a couple of people that have given a decent level of money to Hopkins - not Bloomberg level but definitely at the scholarship endowing level. All stopped giving when it was known through the back channels that legacies were not given any consideration. While they acknowledged Hopkins gave them a lot and wanted to give back but Hopkins need to make the transaction a two way street. (They all said legacy decisions should be used in the gray area that many decisions are made and not for kids that couldn't get in). If a move to D3 happened, I'd guess most would say it affirms their decision to stop giving.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I mean it doesn’t seem a high probability but if I had to bet I’d say it’s more absurd to suggest they’d move all sports to D1. Will never happen. That 5% tax exemption rule would probably not even cover the athletics operating loss and you’d fall way behind peers in endowment. Within a decade small D1 schools like Davidson will move down that’s where the action is heading more than a desperate move up by institutions.

And for all the hubris here, the NCAA wants all split division schools gone. They don’t give a flying fart about Hop history in the sport. To them it’s not different than Hobart in this regard (or Union, RPI hockey, etc) as much as some of you might scoff. It’s just a distraction for them and couldn’t care less. I’m sure they make Hops like difficult in the administrative side no different than Hobart in that regard.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Last night my mom asked how I felt about DP's firing and if I was happy because he was finally not the coach.

I said I wasn't happy. I was sad because it meant that he couldn't right the ship and that it ended badly. But, all things end badly or they wouldn't end. That pretty much sums up my feelings.

I wish him good luck down the road. He'll coach somewhere else. Too bad he didn't have the foresight to at least raise the possibility of coaching at UM or Navy. It would have been a good opportunity for both sides to have a clean slate.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 am He's a heckuva good coach. They lost a lot, but I didnt expect their falloff to be so great this year. The shallow recruiting pipeline is concerning though. He usually gets a lot of real good local public kids and tough NYers with a chip and something to prove. Guessing it was just a recruiting bubble. But can't say for sure.
Fall off?

CAA, BigEast, Patriot League & Sunshine .......they are ALL one team invites. It's AQ, or nothing. How you don't see this, especially in early season games, is strange.

I don't think you people realize, that no matter WHAT, and who Towson BEATS during the regular season, they ain't going to get an at large bid.

(take 2017, for example. when Towson beat Hopkins, made it to the FF. You telling us/me, that if Towson had lost to UMass in the CAA championship, BOTH UMass & Towson were going to the n$aa's ? You really going to sell that ? Who were they going to bump, defending champ North Carolina, with it's awesome 8-7 record, yet an RPI of 10 :roll: ?? Oh, btw, when defending champ UNC did play a CAA team in 2017, they lost. To a team that didn't even make the CAA finals. Hofstra. Hofstra had a 11-3 record. Winning at a 78% clip. Towson was going to bump Denver, in 2017 ???, one of the rare exceptions where the aforementioned leagues actually got TWO teams in. )

Providence beat Brown, Brown beat UVA.......it matters not. And you all know it.

Don't let Quint fool you, Hopkins moving to "league" was the best thing for it's lacrosse team. You really think, without the B1G games, and R.P.I. factoring, that Hopkins was getting an invite in 2017 withOUT those BiG games?

Man, if THAT 2017 invite isn't the poster child for what is wrong with the stupid RPI formula. Johns Hopkins RPI, at the end of the 2017 season, was 7. all those "good" loses.

Spare us all the n$aa invite nonsense, history, etc. for Hopkins. If you can't see that many more teams deserved an invite in 2017. Many more. see above. We can pick another season, recent, as well. First round results........proof is on the field... can't wait for the n$aa to have a good loses championship :roll:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:03 am Too bad he didn't have the foresight to at least raise the possibility of coaching at UM or Navy.
Here's a thought: Maybe he didn't want to? Have you considered that?
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:11 am
PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:32 am Hopkins is done. It's over.

Nerd school in the legit ghetto. Yeah, everybody is passing.
You seem to post in the NE West and Connecticut forums a lot. Surely you know that Hopkins has not one, not two, but three top 100 commits from Salisbury coming next year, then three more from the area the following year in Demopoulous (Darien), Litchfield (Belmont Hill), and Constantinides (New Fairfield). They'll join former top 100 recruits Owen Murphy (AOF),** Evan Zinn (Staples) and Alex Gainey (St. Sebs) on the current roster, as well as Eddy Glassmeyer (Brunswick), Matt Narewski (New Hampton), and Jack Lyne (Middlesex).

Again, this is just from the northeast area, and just in the last couple of years. In other words, you're a moron. :o :o :roll:
It's only that.......the guys in italics, play in a "new" league. The ISL. Man, they FINALLY were going to a tiered playoff system.

**PG at Avon, only.

"new", b/c inswag lacrosse just discovered the ISL. Most likely your go to source, hopfan16, based on you salivating the recruit rankings. Laughable.
How is it that you are so consistently wrong in all of your posts? You really have to try to be this wrong. Murphy did not PG at Avon. He transferred there after two years at Medfield. He played two full years at Avon, his junior and senior seasons.

Anywho, the point which you missed (not a surprise) was refuting Mr. PrimeTime's baseless assertion that "everybody is passing" on Hopkins—I identified several highly sought-after kids from his own backyard that did not pass on the school. Very fun that you've learned how to italicize, though!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Glad you just checked on Murphy, had NO idea :roll: And, all the three others?

Top 100 ? Says who? the guy that watched his first ISL game, evah, two years ago? :lol:

What IL ranking was the kid from Dracut, MA, who schooled the Michigan FOGO, that YOUR source ranked the #4 FOGO, 44th recruit overall.

YOu can't make this stuff up.......whole big lacrosse world beyond Baltimore

https://mgoblue.com/sports/mens-lacross ... lett/19426

vs

https://merrimackathletics.com/sports/m ... rench/8769

and please, don't come back with the "one off" excuse. We could play the value of the IL top 100 ranking all day long. Beyond the obvious players, the rest is just about money. Yup, I'm the one that is lost
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am Glad you just checked on Murphy, had NO idea :roll: And, all the three others?

Top 100 ? Says who? the guy that watched his first ISL game, evah, two years ago? :lol:

What IL ranking was the kid from Dracut, MA, who schooled the Michigan FOGO, that YOUR source ranked the #4 FOGO, 44th recruit overall.

vs

and please, don't come back with the "one off" excuse. We could play the value of the IL top 100 ranking all day long. Beyond the obvious players, the rest is just about money. Yup, I'm the one that is lost
I went through a top 100 analysis and found you had a better chance of being a college AA if you weren’t on the list. It’s a reverse engineered list to match up with UA selections with are another political crock.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:37 am
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am Glad you just checked on Murphy, had NO idea :roll: And, all the three others?

vs

I went through a top 100 analysis and found you had a better chance of being a college AA if you weren’t on the list. It’s a reverse engineered list to match up with UA selections with are another political crock.
+1
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Our page count shot way up. Did I miss something?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-The ad comes from under armour which sponsors the team. I doubt they'd be happy w the program playing mcdanial and gettysburg. I was there in brodys january intersession class 16 years ago when the d1/d3 vote happened and he said they were never going d1 bc you need things like a football stadium of a certain size we weren't doing and there was too much tradition to do d3. he also said the strongest support for the exemption came from our d3 rivals who loved the prestige of having us on their schedules. that's not going to happen.
-pretty weak that the ad did not take media questions. This is a career defining hire for her and the vice provost and hiding behind a no comment for a move like this was not a good look for her.
we live in a pc world now. the raymond past will resurface in that interview.
-quint has been very careful w/his comments over the years but the b1g thing is a big statement. The recruiting doesn't back it up, we're getting top kids and at the end of the day what is the value of a land grant midwestern education to kids from north east prep schools? Is Ohio State or Michigan the same thing to a wall street recruiter as johns hopkins?
-the press release doesn't include the fates of jay dyer or o branski. The players and alumni love dyer on social media, but this is a program that has rarely over the last 12 years looked the part on the field. Ranagan and durkin would lay great hits from time to time, but gbs were terrible and we've looked stiff and slow forever. they need a new strength/training regime.
-curious where dwan and benson end up. I'm sure espn will ask Petro about doing acc games next spring.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”