Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by tech37 »

Towson2020 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:19 pm 100 Percent Nadelean is offered job. Does he take? that's only question.
I would say he did a GREAT job at Towson, but leaving off that 0-6 will be tough
Depends on how the JHU admin feels about winning.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm Raymond also has the added benefit of coaching a D1 sport at a D3 school already. I may be wrong but I think there are some very unique compliance and recruiting challenges that come with that.

He's the betting favorite to get the job I think.

Yup. A lock.

(and Tech37: his wife is a Morgan Stanley wealth adviser; my Baltimore boys tell me Baltimore has a large Morgan Stanley office; from Auburn NY, went to William Smith)
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:06 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:17 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:16 pm Warne overcame and really won over a very angry and bitter lax alumni base at GT to find success this year. It took 2-3 years, but he stuck with his plan and made it work. Seems like he might be up to a challenge like Hopkins. Both institutions are highly regarded academic institutions whose lax alumni and Admin expect a lot.
What are JHU's advantages over Georgetown from this point forward?

Salary
B1G schedule vs Big East.
B1G Money/TV access
Program recognition among recruits
Cordish/Homewood over Cooper Field
Those are positive attributes that may be more appealing to recruits than the coach. I am not sure if Hopkins is a better job than Gtown right now. Maybe the Richmond or High Point coach?
These are important to the coaches because they're important to the recruits (add in Hop's ESPN carve-out to air their home games in terms of money, too). If you listened to Carc's podcast with Tillman, Tillman talked about how big it was that the lacrosse program is moving into the football team's space, which is being vacated and renovated for the lacrosse program.

Things Georgetown has an advantage over Hop on, and I think there's 2 really big ones, are GU has a business school (and a well connected one at that) and has a better location. History, tradition, lacrosse facilities, conference affiliation...Hop has those advantages.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:40 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:16 pm Warne overcame and really won over a very angry and bitter lax alumni base at GT to find success this year. It took 2-3 years, but he stuck with his plan and made it work. Seems like he might be up to a challenge like Hopkins. Both institutions are highly regarded academic institutions whose lax alumni and Admin expect a lot.

Salary
B1G Money/TV access
Those are positive attributes that may be more appealing to recruits than the coach. I am not sure if Hopkins is a better job than Gtown right now. Maybe the Richmond or High Point coach?
These are important to the coaches because they're important to the recruits (add in Hop's ESPN carve-out to air their home games in terms of money, too). If you listened to Carc's podcast with Tillman, Tillman talked about how big it was that the lacrosse program is moving into the football team's space, which is being vacated and renovated for the lacrosse program.

Things Georgetown has an advantage over Hop on, and I think there's 2 really big ones, are GU has a business school (and a well connected one at that) and has a better location. History, tradition, lacrosse facilities, conference affiliation...Hop has those advantages.
Warne's success has highlighted that due to the things you mention - fantastic academics, and right smack dab in DC - there's no reason Georgetown can't be a big attraction for recruits - Warne's already been landing 5-stars consistently last few years - and have a sustained run of success the way they did with Urick from 97-06.

But Hopkins is still Hopkins. It's a different level, even to maybe Maryland, UVA, and Syracuse. it's the one place where lacrosse is the #1 sport at that school; it's facilities are incredible, in it's own recruiting hotbed, got second to none fan support. It's still the best, or at minimum Top 3, job in t he sport.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:34 pm
VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm Raymond also has the added benefit of coaching a D1 sport at a D3 school already. I may be wrong but I think there are some very unique compliance and recruiting challenges that come with that.

Yup. A lock.

(and Tech37: his wife is a Morgan Stanley wealth adviser; my Baltimore boys tell me Baltimore has a large Morgan Stanley office; from Auburn NY, went to William Smith)
PB, love your usual enthusiasm...but "my Baltimore boys"...I'm retching. If it turns out Raymond refuses an offer, I will sooo remember this cocksure post of yours ;)
Last edited by tech37 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Salary
B1G Money/TV access

I don’t disagree. Georgetown has continued to attract good players. Not sure how much of an upgrade JHU in 2020 is versus JHU 2012. Lots of things have changed. I would reach out to Warne for sure but it’s not a no brainer.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Yup. A lock.

PB, love your usual enthusiasm...but "my Baltimore boys"...I'm retching. If it turns out Raymond refuses an offer, I will sooo remember this cocksure post of yours ;)
Raymond would be my favorite. It would give me a reason to root for them from time to time.
“I wish you would!”
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:15 pm

There was some talk on the Hobart thread that Raymond's wife is very connected to Geneva. Believe it or not 8-) that's a huge consideration.
She's a William Smith grad. And both of them are from the general area. One last thing is that she gave birth about a week ago. Staying close to family might be a big impediment to moving. He's a big fish in that pond.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Yup. A lock.

:lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Yup. A lock.

I’ll be here! As a Hounds fan, I’d rather Hop make a mistake. But those two women running the athletic office seem like they know what they’re doing unfortunately. Which means Coach Raymond will be a Blue Jay. He’ll bring the family down after he settles in.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Yup. A lock.

I’ll be here! As a Hounds fan, I’d rather Hop make a mistake. But those two women running the athletic office seem like they know what they’re doing unfortunately. Which means Coach Raymond will be a Blue Jay. He’ll bring the family down after he settles in.
Can you say...N a d e l i n... PB?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Do we know how amicable the split truly was?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Yup. A lock.

Don’t see it. But who knows.

He’d be my second pick.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Yup. A lock.

He’d be my second pick.
:D Ah, you schmoozer...

Any chance HOP goes DIII, PB?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:17 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Yup. A lock.

He’d be my second pick.
:D Ah, you schmoozer...

Any chance HOP goes DIII, PB?

Sacrilegious! Dude Hop will be back on top within two years. Great classes coming in. Look I hate them but the cupboard is full. New coach will attract even more. That stadium will rock again.
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

Albany coach Scott Marr makes sense to me class of 1990 assistant at Hopkins biggest rival Maryland under legend Coach Edell for yrs Took Albany from complete obscurity into a Final Four team thats not easy! His brother dave class of 1996 who is one the all time greats as an assist attackman! Scotts son class of 2020 That covers a lot of years him being associated with Hopkins
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:49 pm
steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:38 pm I think you can break down into 2 groups - Hopkins alums or have a connection to Hopkins and those that don't that would be possibilities. While Tillman, Danowski, etc are great coaches they are not likely coming to Hopkins. Moreover, I think they will go with an offensive guy over a defensive guy. And, yes, I know my list has Nads and Raymond at the top of the Hopkins guys.

Hopkins alums in my preferred view.
1) Nads
2) Raymond
3) Marr

Big Gap

4) Tierney, Voekler, etc.

Non Hopkins guys - no particular order
Warne, Shay, Millman, maybe a Chermontti or Amplo (though I doubt he moves so soon).

I don't think you are going to see Hopkins pluck a DI coordinator like Wellner or Kirwin.

I should add, Hopkins shouldn't just look at Hopkins only guys but get the best guy they can.
As a Cuse fan whose very familiar with Raymond and Marr I think Raymond would be a pretty good pick and makes the most sense of the alumni guys. He's done a real nice job at Hobart is a younger guy and runs a free flowing aggressive offense that I think Hopkins fans are dying for. Will take him a year or two to transition Hop to what he wants to do but I could see him having some serious success there assuming his recruiting stays strong with the big jump in competition.

Marr to me would be a big mistake for both sides. Marr has his own fifedom going om at Albany and I mean that in a good way. He does a real good job mining NYS for under the radar guys and native players across the country. He has zero pressure from the school and very little from the fan base. Just don't see him being a fit at Hopkins at this point on his career. It scream square peg into a round hole.
You just don’t want to face the coming embarrassment of a bunch of degenerates drinking out of the Kraus Simmons down at the lake for the next twenty years which you know is coming with your above post.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

JL Reppert
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:53 pm JL Reppert
Reppert's certainly more than earned a HC job, but if Hopkins gets to the point of entering the assistant pool, something's going wrong. They should be able to nab a very good, successful sitting HC
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

If we are going assistants throw in
Kirwan from UVA and Wellner at ND with Reppert for sure.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”