Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Henpecked »

Yeah, check this out. Hammer lefty attackman. And he is only going to get bigger and stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdnqS179A3Y

And he MIGHT hold a grudge.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:36 pm And he MIGHT hold a grudge.
I mean you make the assumption here that he would've wanted to play for his father. I'm not saying this makes JHU a more likely destination with our new situation but I don't think you can really say the opposite either.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Good god you guys... it was a joke.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Tweet from John Greeley:

“You will always be the Coach, the man, and the leader that took a chance on a kid from little LaFayette and made me who I am today. I am forever grateful for your compassion, your love, and your continued positive influence on so many young men. Thanks Big guy.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Rabil's Instagram post:
Gutted by the news that Coach Petro will no longer be at Hopkins. I remember when we first met, his handwritten recruiting letters, impossible attention to detail, a relentless work ethic matched with levity and charm, and as witnessed on weekly national TV, his tough love coaching style. He welcomed me and so many of us into a generation of legends who played on Homewood Field. And our relationship only continues to grow as evident by our PLL inaugural season's game weekend at Homewood, with the big guy watching from his office — just like he used to when a few of us would take extra shots after practice during our 4 years undergrad. Feels impossible to think of a world at Hop without DP at the helm. The greatest and only to ever be national champ and player of the year, AND national champ and coach of the year. In those handwritten letters you told me we’d compete for a chip together. We won 2. Best times ahead, 43.
Rabil also shared an email Petro sent him after he committed to Hopkins. It's very nice:

https://twitter.com/PaulRabil/status/12 ... 2205958144
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:06 pm Rabil's Instagram post:
Gutted by the news that Coach Petro will no longer be at Hopkins. I remember when we first met, his handwritten recruiting letters, impossible attention to detail, a relentless work ethic matched with levity and charm, and as witnessed on weekly national TV, his tough love coaching style. He welcomed me and so many of us into a generation of legends who played on Homewood Field. And our relationship only continues to grow as evident by our PLL inaugural season's game weekend at Homewood, with the big guy watching from his office — just like he used to when a few of us would take extra shots after practice during our 4 years undergrad. Feels impossible to think of a world at Hop without DP at the helm. The greatest and only to ever be national champ and player of the year, AND national champ and coach of the year. In those handwritten letters you told me we’d compete for a chip together. We won 2. Best times ahead, 43.
Rabil also shared an email Petro sent him after he committed to Hopkins. It's very nice:

This is a good move for Coach. He will get to see his sons play in high school and be more present. That is time you can’t get back. The twins will be out of the house soon.... Petro should enjoy it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:38 pm

This is a good move for Coach. He will get to see his sons play in high school and be more present. That is time you can’t get back. The twins will be out of the house soon.... Petro should enjoy it.
This is what I imagine too. Just given the past few years and the back surgery, I have to think there will be some semblance of relief for him no matter how competitive he is.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Tweet from Tucker Durkin:

“Thank you @CoachPetro43, BD, and BB. Tough to put into words the impact you’ve had on myself and so many others. “Leave this place better than you found it” rings in my ear to this day. We all left JHU much better than when we arrived because of you.”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Watching his kids play in the spring, maybe coaching in the (relative) stress-free PLL over the summers. I'm sure Rabil and all the Hop alums involved in the league would love to have him. Sounds pretty good to me.

The tributes are pouring in from past and present players, including one from Pat Foley on Instagram. Results on the field were disappointing to say the least as of late but those whispers that he had lost the locker room shockingly do not appear to have been wholly accurate. The sentiments I'm seeing from many players are not ones you share if you've lost respect for the staff or harbor any kind of resentment. One common thread throughout lots of them is that he always had players' backs. (Apart from Cattoni's—not really sure what that was about but I'm guessing something to do with his brother leaving the team last year. Either way, it was in bad taste IMO.)

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... able/56304
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:44 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:38 pm

This is what I imagine too. Just given the past few years and the back surgery, I have to think there will be some semblance of relief for him no matter how competitive he is.
I hope you’re right, but ...

... being unemployed is never pleasant, especially if you’re someone as hard working as Coach Petro. The current pandemic doesn’t help.

Can’t imagine this is an easy time for him. He’s a tough guy, but there must be so many difficult emotions going through him right now. He’s a father with two boys going off to college soon. Not a good time for so much uncertainty.

I’m sure he will get another opportunity to coach, and probably soon. Still, it must really hurt him to know that he will, in all likelihood, never coach the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays again.

The Big Guy’s only human. Wish him and his family the best.

DocB
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"The following summer, Calder become the university’s Director of Alumni Programs and was replaced by Alanna Shanahan in July 2016. In July 2017, Johns Hopkins partnered with Under Armour as its uniform, footwear and apparel provider, part of a broader deal that deepened the brand’s relationship with the university and the hospital. In September 2017, Shanahan, Pietramala and women’s lacrosse coach Janine Tucker announced the formation of the Lacrosse Advisory Board. In November 2018, alum Michael Bloomberg pledged to donate $1.8 billion that was to be used exclusively for financial aid. In September 2019, Shanahan was promoted to Vice Provost and Jen Baker was elevated to AD.

It seems to have developed into a situation in which the athletic department and coach grew apart, as the university announced Tuesday that they’d “mutually and responsibly” agreed to part ways. Questions persist as to the circumstances that led to the separation. Was Pietramala offered a one-year or multi-year deal to return? Was he offered a conditional return? Was he not offered anything?

When IL reached out to Baker for comment, an athletics department spokesperson said, “At this point, Jen is focusing on the team and our search for a new coach. She will be available when we make that announcement.”

From the IL story. some of you who are way more connected than the a--es in the masses have spoken about this for years here. It's disappointing that IL calls itself the source of the sport and doesn't have the sources to flesh out the story instead of just haphazardly speculating. Rabil was a great player and I feel for his sympathies to the staff but every disappointing result for years was excused with the "but 2001-2008" stuff looking back. The next regime starting with which kids it's able to hang onto and add won't have that crutch to fall back on.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Looks like Ed Lee is tracking down Cattoni on Twitter :oops:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Some more reactions from current and former players, rival coaches, and others in these two Baltimore Sun articles:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ana ... story.html

Here's what Nadelen said:
“My thoughts are with Coach Petro and his boys [Nicholas and Dominic, sophomore twins at Boys’ Latin] during this time,” Towson coach Shawn Nadelen said in a text. Nadelen played for Pietramala as a senior in 2001, Pietramala’s first season as coach. “I have had the honor of playing for him and learning from him as a young man and as a coach. He is a great man and mentor.”
GSP

Post by GSP »

This might be the opportune time for the Administration to study whether to bring all 24 of the University's sports programs under NCAA Division III banner.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:19 pm
From the IL story. some of you who are way more connected than the a--es in the masses have spoken about this for years here. It's disappointing that IL calls itself the source of the sport and doesn't have the sources to flesh out the story instead of just haphazardly speculating. Rabil was a great player and I feel for his sympathies to the staff but every disappointing result for years was excused with the "but 2001-2008" stuff looking back. The next regime starting with which kids it's able to hang onto and add won't have that crutch to fall back on.
The chances of them knowing exactly what happened are pretty high. The chances of them reporting exactly what happened - at least right now - are pretty low. IL isn't an investigative outlet. It's an industry outlet. They're not going to report on anything that will burn bridges. Petro will certainly land a job somewhere else, and he doesn't want anything negative attributed to him because no AD wants to hear a coach flame his previous employer. If anything gets leaked, my guess is it will come from the Hop side to make themselves look like they had no choice. Either way, IL probably isn't going to publish an insider account because they don't want to upset JHU or Petro.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

For those earlier today writing Hop is done for a few years due to needing to rebuild, Williams in the portal, no coach wants the pressure from the alum, please keep Epstein, etc, etc: Lars won a Natty in his second year after replacing legendary Dom.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:00 pm
Parputt wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:46 pm

You are Not released from your NLI due to a change in coaches. You sign with the institution not the coach. If one was signed, you must apply for and be granted a release.
Fair enough, but a coaching change would probably qualify you for a release, no?

Hopefully they wait to see who Hopkins hires, and then that person can get them excited about staying.

I spent a long time coaching college lacrosse. Never once did I see a student athlete get denied a release from an NLI because of a coaching change. If the coach that signs you leaves before you get to campus, your release will
be granted (in lacrosse). You can take that to the bank.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

GSP wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:39 pm This might be the opportune time for the Administration to study whether to bring all 24 of the University's sports programs under NCAA Division III banner.
Wow....that would really be a shock to the sport.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:12 pm
GSP wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:39 pm This might be the opportune time for the Administration to study whether to bring all 24 of the University's sports programs under NCAA Division III banner.
Wow....that would really be a shock to the sport.
That will NEVER happen. NEVER.

If push came to shove, Hopkins would upgrade all sports to Division I and play in the FCS in football. In fact, I think Hopkins should move in that direction. The school is certainly large enough.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:49 pm Watching his kids play in the spring, maybe coaching in the (relative) stress-free PLL over the summers. I'm sure Rabil and all the Hop alums involved in the league would love to have him. Sounds pretty good to me.

The tributes are pouring in from past and present players, including one from Pat Foley on Instagram. Results on the field were disappointing to say the least as of late but those whispers that he had lost the locker room shockingly do not appear to have been wholly accurate. The sentiments I'm seeing from many players are not ones you share if you've lost respect for the staff or harbor any kind of resentment. One common thread throughout lots of them is that he always had players' backs. (Apart from Cattoni's—not really sure what that was about but I'm guessing something to do with his brother leaving the team last year. Either way, it was in bad taste IMO.)

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... able/56304
If his players loved him so much, why did they quit on him?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”