All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:03 am
jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:49 am
njbill wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:47 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:06 pm Only a single rain cloud that I see in the numbers - 123,000 new infections today nationwide. This is 3 times the number of infections seen on any other single day. Very strange.
That seems to me to be a pretty significant rain cloud. Obviously, deaths is the most important statistic, but new cases, new hospitalizations, ICUs, and discharges are important as well.

Maybe some numbers from yesterday bled over into today’s numbers. Easter Sunday?

Deaths are currently running at almost 4% of reported cases so are we looking at almost 5000 deaths from these new 123,000 cases? Hopefully not. Maybe a change in the ventilator protocol is improving the death rate. (Really tragic if it turns out that a lot of people died because the doctors were still trying to figure out how to treat the disease. Not their fault, of course. They have been doing the best they can under extraordinarily trying circumstances. Tragic nonetheless.)
The ventilator business is pure speculation on my part. The 123K new infections is a head scratcher given the death roll over. You would think it portends an up tick in deaths in two weeks. There is another possible explanation for the roll over - slow / bad reporting by health authorities starting on this past Saturday. I half expected that to be the case and to see a big up tick on Monday. Instead Monday confirmed what went on over the weekend. Maybe numbers this week erase all of this, but this has been in the process for a week now.
where are you seeing 123k new cases?
NOTE - This morning the site is only showing 20,300 new cases for yesterday. The initial report of 123K was an error on their part. All other numbers stayed the same.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

Trinity wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwitt ... n-leaders/

That’s right, the women are smarter....
Very interesting.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:53 am
jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:46 am
Trinity wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwitt ... n-leaders/

+1000
Don't think it is necessarily smarter, but the wiring of the brain / emotional system seems to have definite advantages.
In my view, they are better at taking a deep breath and building cooperation across various borders, and have a better sense of selflessness.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:17 am trump has stacked the federal courts with his kiss up cronies who will gleefully rubber stamp his edicts thereby making that absolute power a very real possibility.
I keep waiting for the Supreme Court to stand up to Trump. I still hope it will happen.

There was an interesting development yesterday that hasn’t gotten much publicity. The Supreme Court announced it will be holding oral arguments by telephone for the first time ever for some of the remaining cases this term. But the big news is Roberts has pushed off some cases until next term. That is quite unusual, although these, of course, are exceptional times.

He did not, however, delay the Trump tax return cases. Had he done so, that would have effectively meant that those cases would not be decided until after the election. By keeping the cases in this term, and by scheduling them to be among those for which oral argument will be by phone, he has made it much more likely that a decision will be handed down by June 30, if the normal schedule is followed, or perhaps a few weeks later if the court needs more time.
RedFromMI

Re: All things not just COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Since the IHME model has gotten a lot of play (and BTW the expected # of deaths went up by nearly 10K in their latest update yesterday) it might be interesting to see how their model sees the effect of earlier intervention (1 and 2 weeks):

From https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/opin ... ncing.html
nytsd.png
nytsd.png (13.32 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
If only Trump had listened better to his experts on epidemiology...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:58 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:29 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:15 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:09 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:50 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 pm Not even Corona can slow down Baltimore:

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/coronavir ... crime-down
Isn't the new rule we loudly take to the Internet and blame the politician in charge? Who is the Mayor of this city and what party does he belong to?

Oh also, Ron DeSantis doing better than expected...where are the apologies?

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... -be-lower/
It's not the politician in charge's fault.
It's not 6 decades of democratic leadership.
It's everyone else's fault Baltimore sucks.
Oh, and a lack of money. There's not enough money to throw at the problems any more.

If you were to poll the Democrats here, is there even a shred of doubt that the answer to every one of Baltimore's ills is 'more money'? $2,000,000,000 can only get you so far in a city with a declining population! Even Catherine Pugh couldn't make it on that!! :lol:
Yup. And I also learned that it’s not the politicians fault- but the fault of the people who are leaving the city.

They have some nerve for not wanting to have their property damaged/stolen, not risking bodily harm while going about their daily business, or wanting to put their kids in the failing schools. Jerks. Ruining it for everyone else.
No, not their 'fault'.
These are legitimate human reactions to the situation.
I don't hear that at all. Unless it is some of those who have left imagining such critique?

But it is indeed, largely, the fault of the systematic inequities, the redlining, and the tax jurisdictions that encourage such movement.

It might be possible to say that is the 'fault' of county/state taxpayers, as a group, not wanting to support the city, living in their 'gated' enclaves.
But that's a different argument from that they shouldn't have made the individual decision to what is best for their family.
Could you explain this point more? I don’t want to make any assumptions about what you’re saying here.I’m asking in earnest- What systematic inequities? It seems like Baltimore should be able to row in the same direction if it wanted to.

I thought Redlining as a practice is highly illegal and has been for years.
As far as Baltimore tax jurisdictions are concerned- why would you choose to live in a higher taxed jurisdiction if you can get a comparable home one street over, for half the taxes? This is the case all along the city/county border. And the ones drawing the tax lines are the politicians themselves.
And taxpayers complain about where their money is spent all the time. Again, it is the politicians who allocate it.
Baltimore, Baltimore County and MD as a whole is overwhelmingly democratic. Seems like a concerted effort to fix the city could be accomplished if that was really a goal or a priority.
What am I missing?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:39 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 pm Not even Corona can slow down Baltimore:

Isn't the new rule we loudly take to the Internet and blame the politician in charge? Who is the Mayor of this city and what party does he belong to?

Oh, and a lack of money. There's not enough money to throw at the problems any more.

If you were to poll the Democrats here, is there even a shred of doubt that the answer to every one of Baltimore's ills is 'more money'? $2,000,000,000 can only get you so far in a city with a declining population! Even Catherine Pugh couldn't make it on that!! :lol:
Yup. And I also learned that it’s not the politicians fault- but the fault of the people who are leaving the city.

They have some nerve for not wanting to have their property damaged/stolen, not risking bodily harm while going about their daily business, or wanting to put their kids in the failing schools. Jerks. Ruining it for everyone else.
No, not their 'fault'.
I don't hear that at all. Unless it is some of those who have left imagining such critique?

But it is indeed, largely, the fault of the systematic inequities, the redlining, and the tax jurisdictions that encourage such movement.

It might be possible to say that is the 'fault' of county/state taxpayers, as a group, not wanting to support the city, living in their 'gated' enclaves.
But that's a different argument from that they shouldn't have made the individual decision to what is best for their family.
Could you explain this point more? I don’t want to make any assumptions about what you’re saying here.I’m asking in earnest- What systematic inequities? It seems like Baltimore should be able to row in the same direction if it wanted to.

As far as Baltimore tax jurisdictions are concerned- why would you choose to live in a higher taxed jurisdiction if you can get a comparable home one street over, for half the taxes? This is the case all along the city/county border. And the ones drawing the tax lines are the politicians themselves.
And taxpayers complain about where their money is spent all the time. Again, it is the politicians who allocate it.
Baltimore, Baltimore County and MD as a whole is overwhelmingly democratic. Seems like a concerted effort to fix the city could be accomplished if that was really a goal or a priority.
What am I missing?
Actually, you are 'missing' quite a lot, but very understandably. Most folks who haven't studied the issues don't understand the complexities, and history.

Yes, redlining became illegal, but not until after many decades of reality. Government sponsored redlining went first, but private redlining still persists today in various forms. There's still 'directing' by real estate brokers and mortgage brokers. Lots of research indicates this still persists, albeit not as blatantly so as a few decades ago. But certainly heavily so way, way later than we might think. Just look at the demographics of the York Rd-Dulaney Valley north corridor vs the Owings Mills corridor.

But that's just for those who otherwise could actually move. You then have the impact on those left behind.

Cost/availability of mortgages, insurance of various types, cost of food, all sorts of differences that are based on the neighborhood (de facto ethnicity/poverty) not the specific person's risk or income.

And that's not including the hidden evil. Lead paint, lead pipes, have been poisoning residents, disproportionately, in the most vulnerable aging, city neighborhoods. And that lead has been shown to dramatically lower educational capabilities, permanently. Permanent damage to the brain.

Then ripple these impacts over generations.

But those who were mobile fled to the suburbs. Yes, much of it 'white flight' in the '60's and '70's, but not just white, also black upwardly mobile flight, albeit not to the same suburban neighborhoods. The white flight began much earlier than some might think, made possible by the highway construction of the late '50's. Baltimore never embraced the sort of public transport that would enable lower income workers the same access. Think there's a reason why there's no stop in Ruxton? You betcha. It certainly wasn't because professionals wouldn't have been happy to hop on the commuter rail into downtown...nope, they decided better to use their cars. And that was a relatively recent choice, not ancient history.

Where you are right is that Dems have typically controlled the surrounding jurisdictions and the State legislature, most Gov's as well. But Dems are NOT all the same in Maryland. I'm sure you're aware of that.

And the 'money' has controlled the Baltimore political system to their personal benefit. Not to the benefit of the population in Baltimore, their personal benefit.

One of the brutally wrong decisions back in the '70's and '80's was to raise residential taxes, rather than commercial taxes. (Cities like Boston and San Fran, both Dem strongholds and in 1970 in worse shape than Baltimore, went the opposite direction). That choice was a short term boon to developers, but accelerated flight to the lower cost burbs.

Running a city with an aging infrastructure is much, much more costly than managing urban infrastructure, so the balance of payments of county and city was suppressed by county voters who didn't want to pay higher taxes to take care of neighborhoods they didn't live in, just drove past.

A lot going on in all this, and I'm sure I've missed some pieces.

Didn't even get to the ravages of the drug trade, the impacts of generations of young men who die or are incarcerated disproportionately for crack relative to coke. And the 'money' is just fine with keeping that traffic and violence isolated to some city neighborhoods, with suburban users driving through. Out of sight, out of mind...except as a foil.

ugh.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:26 am
Brooklyn wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:17 am trump has stacked the federal courts with his kiss up cronies who will gleefully rubber stamp his edicts thereby making that absolute power a very real possibility.
I keep waiting for the Supreme Court to stand up to Trump. I still hope it will happen.

There was an interesting development yesterday that hasn’t gotten much publicity. The Supreme Court announced it will be holding oral arguments by telephone for the first time ever for some of the remaining cases this term. But the big news is Roberts has pushed off some cases until next term. That is quite unusual, although these, of course, are exceptional times.

He did not, however, delay the Trump tax return cases. Had he done so, that would have effectively meant that those cases would not be decided until after the election. By keeping the cases in this term, and by scheduling them to be among those for which oral argument will be by phone, he has made it much more likely that a decision will be handed down by June 30, if the normal schedule is followed, or perhaps a few weeks later if the court needs more time.
And if they decide on Trump's behalf, can we say that they are effectively in the bag?

Seems to me that the legal issues really shouldn't be a close call, but if they go his way?

I agree that it may be a promising signal that Roberts didn't punt it until effectively after the election.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:13 pm

And if they decide on Trump's behalf, can we say that they are effectively in the bag?

Seems to me that the legal issues really shouldn't be a close call, but if they go his way?
Are you really giving Trump that much credit...that he has control over justices and they fear impeachment by him?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Russia is starting to get hit. China is reporting a lot of new cases in Northern China are from travel across the Russian border.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-cor ... tals-beds/

"Less than a month ago Russia's state-controlled media showed President Vladimir Putin talking about how the country had managed to contain the new coronavirus and keep the situation "under control." "

Similar language coming from two world leaders.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:10 am

Very interesting.
Behind every strong man, is an even stronger woman....I think Melania proves that theory. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:06 pm

No, not their 'fault'.

What am I missing?
Actually, you are 'missing' quite a lot, but very understandably. Most folks who haven't studied the issues don't understand the complexities, and history.

Yes, redlining became illegal, but not until after many decades of reality. Government sponsored redlining went first, but private redlining still persists today in various forms. There's still 'directing' by real estate brokers and mortgage brokers. Lots of research indicates this still persists, albeit not as blatantly so as a few decades ago. But certainly heavily so way, way later than we might think. Just look at the demographics of the York Rd-Dulaney Valley north corridor vs the Owings Mills corridor.

But that's just for those who otherwise could actually move. You then have the impact on those left behind.

Cost/availability of mortgages, insurance of various types, cost of food, all sorts of differences that are based on the neighborhood (de facto ethnicity/poverty) not the specific person's risk or income.

And that's not including the hidden evil. Lead paint, lead pipes, have been poisoning residents, disproportionately, in the most vulnerable aging, city neighborhoods. And that lead has been shown to dramatically lower educational capabilities, permanently. Permanent damage to the brain.

But those who were mobile fled to the suburbs. Yes, much of it 'white flight' in the '60's and '70's, but not just white, also black upwardly mobile flight, albeit not to the same suburban neighborhoods. The white flight began much earlier than some might think, made possible by the highway construction of the late '50's. Baltimore never embraced the sort of public transport that would enable lower income workers the same access. Think there's a reason why there's no stop in Ruxton? You betcha. It certainly wasn't because professionals wouldn't have been happy to hop on the commuter rail into downtown...nope, they decided better to use their cars. And that was a relatively recent choice, not ancient history.

Where you are right is that Dems have typically controlled the surrounding jurisdictions and the State legislature, most Gov's as well. But Dems are NOT all the same in Maryland. I'm sure you're aware of that.

And the 'money' has controlled the Baltimore political system to their personal benefit. Not to the benefit of the population in Baltimore, their personal benefit.

One of the brutally wrong decisions back in the '70's and '80's was to raise residential taxes, rather than commercial taxes. (Cities like Boston and San Fran, both Dem strongholds and in 1970 in worse shape than Baltimore, went the opposite direction). That choice was a short term boon to developers, but accelerated flight to the lower cost burbs.

Running a city with an aging infrastructure is much, much more costly than managing urban infrastructure, so the balance of payments of county and city was suppressed by county voters who didn't want to pay higher taxes to take care of neighborhoods they didn't live in, just drove past.

Didn't even get to the ravages of the drug trade, the impacts of generations of young men who die or are incarcerated disproportionately for crack relative to coke. And the 'money' is just fine with keeping that traffic and violence isolated to some city neighborhoods, with suburban users driving through. Out of sight, out of mind...except as a foil.

ugh.
Job discrimination was legal until the early 1970’s. Legal.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Are you really giving Trump that much credit...that he has control over justices and they fear impeachment by him?
No, my hunch is that though it should be, on the law, 9-0 against Trump, it'll be just 5-4 or 6-3 against with Roberts leading the majority.

I tend to think that NJbill is likely correct that this may be a positive signal.

But if it goes the other way, I think we can declare the conservatives on the Court all the way in the bag.
I hope they're not.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:27 pm

No, not their 'fault'.

What am I missing?

ugh.
Yup. And it certainly didn't end.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:30 pm

No, not their 'fault'.

What am I missing?

ugh.
Appreciate the insight and your POV.

As a former Baltimore City resident for about 10 years, and still a taxpayer and homeowner, I disagree with a few points, but...IMO, the personal corruption in Baltimore has been more of a detriment than the things you've mentioned. There were/are too many hucksters in Baltimore who were/are lining their own pockets instead of working on the issues faced.

When do you think we should see the uptick in the City from the removal of redlining and job discrimination? We're moving on 50 years - about 2 generations since it was outlawed. What are the low hanging fruit Baltimore can do to make the most impact to the most of its residents the quickest?
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:04 pm

No, not their 'fault'.

What am I missing?

ugh.

As a former Baltimore City resident for about 10 years, and still a taxpayer and homeowner, I disagree with a few points, but...IMO, the personal corruption in Baltimore has been more of a detriment than the things you've mentioned. There were/are too many hucksters in Baltimore who were/are lining their own pockets instead of working on the issues faced.

When do you think we should see the uptick in the City from the removal of redlining and job discrimination? We're moving on 50 years - about 2 generations since it was outlawed. What are the low hanging fruit Baltimore can do to make the most impact to the most of its residents the quickest?
It's not the same people decade after decade.... they just all look alike.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So no one stays in Baltimore generation after generation?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:14 pm

No, not their 'fault'.

What am I missing?

ugh.

Yeah. Sanctimonious white liberal know-it-alls who commute into the city from upscale suburbs.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:21 pm So no one stays in Baltimore generation after generation?
No one does not = everyone. The people that move up and out are are replaced. Like a cockroach....That’s how it works at the bottom.... Some never get out. A social scientists can probably give you a number.

EDIT: https://nlihc.org/resource/report-marks ... ty-program
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:26 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:14 pm

No, not their 'fault'.

What am I missing?

ugh.

Yeah. Sanctimonious white liberal know-it-alls who commute into the city from upscale suburbs.
That’s what my Sikh friend told me when he came here for business school. He said “they” all look alike. 🤡
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”