Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nyjay »

It had to happen. Might be painful for a while, but it just couldn't keep going on like this. Next year will be new and different. Really ready to start over. Hopefully, we go directly to Doug Pederson and can skip the Chip Kelly phase. Onwards.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

notentitled wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:39 pm This forum will not be nearly as much fun. Reading the hate mail towards Pietramala was great comedy. Fortunately, it will take only a few losses by the next coach and the comedy will begin again. :)
Hey, the simulated losses were piling up. The AD had to make a move.
ISL Laxin'

Post by ISL Laxin' »

Is there really any question as to who should replace Petro? It's gotta be Bill.

https://quickstickblog.com/2020/04/14/b ... belichick/
viper

Post by viper »

nyjay wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm It had to happen. Might be painful for a while, but it just couldn't keep going on like this. Next year will be new and different. Really ready to start over. Hopefully, we go directly to Doug Pederson and can skip the Chip Kelly phase. Onwards.
I would say the jury is still out on Pederson - though he is definitely a step up from Kelly.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

notentitled wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:39 pm This forum will not be nearly as much fun. Reading the hate mail towards Pietramala was great comedy. Fortunately, it will take only a few losses by the next coach and the comedy will begin again. :)
I seriously doubt that. We aren’t USNA.

Unless JHU hires RS.

If THAT happens, forget it. Just burn everything down.

So, another in the Loss prognostication column for lots of you.

I’ve seen this coming for at least three years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm
It aint over yet wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 pm Albany's coach Scott Marr alum class of 90 Son play at Hopkins That angle goes well with many alumni right? Marr has done a great job turning Albany into a vey good program Few great years n there
He runs a very different program up at Albany. I wonder how his style would mesh at the more conservative JHU.
The styles at each school are what they are because of the coaches. Albany doesn't have a style of lacrosse. Scott Marr does. If JHU hired him, he'd bring it with him. That would be the whole point of hiring a guy like him. JHU only has a reputation for being conservative on the field because that's how Petro's teams have played lately. There is nothing inherent about the school that demands its teams play like that forever.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Alums
Marr
Tierney
Conry
Nadelen
Raymond

Ivy
Murphy
Shay
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

"He runs a very different program up at Albany. I wonder how his style would mesh at the more conservative JHU." True but sport has changed Hopkns needs to go in a new direction Marr certainly change things up with high scoring type of play Along with Scotts son class of 2021 His brother(one of JHU greatest assst attackmen class of 97?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:50 pm Alums
Marr
Tierney
Conry
Nadelen
Raymond

Ivy
Murphy
Shay
Chemotti?
Torpey?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-For all the rough things said here and tough results of late, for people of my age and younger-basically anyone whose connection to the program is only the 21st century he is the program and face of it and the rough last few years won't be remembered remotely as much as the first part and he leaves and incredible legacy and shadow for future coaches. The first big recruit we lose it'll be "but Petro always had x coming" and so on.
-After seeing schnellenberger switch and have to redshirt I'm not worried about losing vaunted recruits. The ivies already have classes for next year, the non ivies have established kids willing to transfer.
-this is an interview with the boss of the woman they hired to do the search. He's an ex navy football player. They did fairfields change last year. The woman is an Oklahoman.
https://ventura-partners.com/sports-bus ... d-chatlos/
-this part stood out.
: “It’s not always something you can control, but if you’re going to make a move on your (football)coach, you better have an idea of who you can get. It’s not a matter of ‘Let’s go search and see what the market bears.’ I think that’s a mistake.”
Last edited by jhu06 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:49 pm
It aint over yet wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 pm Albany's coach Scott Marr alum class of 90 Son play at Hopkins That angle goes well with many alumni right? Marr has done a great job turning Albany into a vey good program Few great years n there
He runs a very different program up at Albany. I wonder how his style would mesh at the more conservative JHU.
The styles at each school are what they are because of the coaches. Albany doesn't have a style of lacrosse. Scott Marr does. If JHU hired him, he'd bring it with him. That would be the whole point of hiring a guy like him. JHU only has a reputation for being conservative on the field because that's how Petro's teams have played lately. There is nothing inherent about the school that demands its teams play like that forever.
Yes and no. Yes, the coach brings the style and the culture. No in that it has to fit into the larger university environment. One of the things about Petro's style that wore thin was his sideline/practice demeanor. Just didn't fit at Hopkins. Sure, winning cures all, but the coach and the culture have to fit into the school's culture. Lacrosse is premier at Hopkins for sure, but it's not like the president will want to be answering questions about the culture of the lacrosse program.
J. Byrd

Post by J. Byrd »

When do we expect a hire to be made?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Joey Epstein just now on Instagram:
No words can express how I and many teammates alike, past and present, feel right now. Fiercely loyal and competitive with a constant desire to be great. "Tough times don't last, tough people do." A Hopkins man. Thank you coach
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Wonder if there should be a separate forum for this since you all are going to get everyone hammering your forum.

But this is like Notre Dame or Michigan in football or Kentucky or Kansas in basketball looking for a new coach.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

viper wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 pm
nyjay wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm It had to happen. Might be painful for a while, but it just couldn't keep going on like this. Next year will be new and different. Really ready to start over. Hopefully, we go directly to Doug Pederson and can skip the Chip Kelly phase. Onwards.
I would say the jury is still out on Pederson - though he is definitely a step up from Kelly.
Ah, what are you talking about. He's made the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years he was the head coach and he's won a Super Bowl. Not sure what jury you are on.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:49 pm
Correct. Hopkins isn't going to be the 80s SU lacrosse but it can play a more aggressive offense style than the current slow, choke the air out of the ball.

Like you, I am sort of surprised they pulled the trigger given the current national pandemic but it had to happen. The mutually parted ways part likely means there was a discussion on a contract extension. And this is just a guess on my end that Hopkins wanted 1 year and DP wanted more and Hopkins just wasn't going to go that way.

As I said the last 2 years, he should have at least shown interest and opened the door at taking either the UM or Navy job. It would have been for all parties involved. Not sure where he goes from here. I am sure another school will eventually want to hire him but I doubt it is a top tier place given what has occurred over the last few years. I have no idea what Dwan or Benson will do.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Man, I'm stunned they actually did it. Thanks for all the great memories Dave and not entirely certain where we go from here or what next year looks like in terms of a season happening but at this point I'm excited for this new adventure. At least until we see how terrible of a hire they make :P This years team was heading for and did hit a new low around the MSM game and whether that was all Petro's fault or not can be debated but it'll be nice to at least have something else to complain about and the results on the field over a great many years lead us to this point. I'm just hopeful in the future I can stop seeing abysmal clearing at the very least.
fatherof2

Post by fatherof2 »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:54 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:50 pm Alums
Marr
Tierney
Conry
Nadelen
Raymond

Ivy
Murphy
Shay
Chemotti?
Torpey?
I'll just throw this name into the hat...
Bill Wilson - AF -- Knowing that where he has interviewed in the past, I have a hunch that he would love a chance to get back East, especially in same city he played collegiately.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:28 pm Like you, I am sort of surprised they pulled the trigger given the current national pandemic but it had to happen. The mutually parted ways part likely means there was a discussion on a contract extension. And this is just a guess on my end that Hopkins wanted 1 year and DP wanted more and Hopkins just wasn't going to go that way.
I don't disagree with the broad notion that the program needed to go in another direction, but I'm worried about the timing of it all.

Cole Williams just entered the transfer portal, by the way. May have been completely unrelated, but my guess is he won't be the last guy to explore other options now that Petro is gone.

This is not the time when you want to be caught without a head coach. This pretty much takes us out of the running for impact transfers at a time when the transfer pool is as deep and talented as it will ever b e. Nobody is going to come here without knowing who the coach is. And without a coach, there's nobody even to persuade them to come here. I had heard we were very, very much in the running for the St. Joe's goalie. Can kiss that goodbye now.

Just for the love of god don't let Epstein go, please.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Maybe, I can start filming again. Really tired of the paranoia in the last 16 months of the Petro era.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”