Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bluecollar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:51 am From that US Lacrosse Magazine article, it seems Penn, Dartmouth, and Brown are "trying to work with senior student athletes". Would that mean helping them do a 5th year and a second major? Thats one way to stay around as an undergrad.
There was no indication from Dartmouth and a Dartmouth guy mentioned the quarter system makes it harder to withdraw. We will see what Brown and Cornell decide. It looks like Penn has already given the green light for those that want to return.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Are the Ivies currently having online classes?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 am Are the Ivies currently having online classes?
I believe all schools are offering on-line classes.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cltlax wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:07 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:30 am MBA programs are filled with people who have worked for awhile and are incredibly social experiences. A friend told me she partied harder at HBS than college. I feel like coming straight from college and still having to maintain a D1 athlete schedule, these kids would be fish out of water (and not really even allowed to jump in the pool) in MBA programs. It doesn't benefit the player or the business school.
I found MBA school to be filled with a bunch of people that finally had a social life for the first time in their lives. They would get "high school" drunk almost every weekend, likely because they didn't do it when they were teenagers.
Probably true!

Our pals who went to HBS, including my wife, mostly didn't fit that mold, but then we all pretended that we didn't go to the library ever!
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:00 am
Bluecollar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:51 am From that US Lacrosse Magazine article, it seems Penn, Dartmouth, and Brown are "trying to work with senior student athletes". Would that mean helping them do a 5th year and a second major? Thats one way to stay around as an undergrad.
There was no indication from Dartmouth and a Dartmouth guy mentioned the quarter system makes it harder to withdraw. We will see what Brown and Cornell decide. It looks like Penn has already given the green light for those that want to return.
TLD, did you read that Penn is allowing student athletes back? Curious on source. BC
Typical Lax Dad

Bluecollar wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:00 am
TLD, did you read that Penn is allowing student athletes back? Curious on source. BC
It was in an article where an official indicated that they would prefer students to graduate but the school will work with those wishing to return. These would not be graduate students.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Some interesting opinion pieces in the Princeton newspaper yesterday and today from the lacrosse alums to the Princeton president and the president's response. Impressive to see the older alums make a unified statement like this and equally as impressive to see the President give them a courtesy of a response fully explaining the reason behind the decision (although I'm sure they didn't like it). This type of transparency is a great thing.
Alums letter (yesterday) - https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/artic ... -eisgruber
President's response (today) - https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/artic ... s-response
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

thetruth wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:48 pm Some interesting opinion pieces in the Princeton newspaper yesterday and today from the lacrosse alums to the Princeton president and the president's response. Impressive to see the older alums make a unified statement like this and equally as impressive to see the President give them a courtesy of a response fully explaining the reason behind the decision (although I'm sure they didn't like it). This type of transparency is a great thing.
Alums letter (yesterday) - https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/artic ... -eisgruber
President's response (today) - https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/artic ... s-response
I know a whole bunch of those PU alums who signed the letter.
Well crafted on both sides of the issue, IMO.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Thoughtful response by Eisgruber. The Presidents have it right. All seniors, not just spring athletes, should be treated the same, and they all can't return next spring.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

The Princeton President got it right. The NCAA didn't
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:35 pm The Princeton President got it right. The NCAA didn't
+1
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:46 am
stupefied wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:35 pm The Princeton President got it right. The NCAA didn't
+1
I would have to say that after reading his response, I can’t disagree. I had initially thought that athletes were singled out. It appears that withdrawing and returning was going to be a difficult ask for any student without a compelling reasoning. Missing the festivities leading up to graduation day is a heavy blow to all of those students.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

I see both points here. I know it makes me proud to have been a two sport IVY athlete. I also know I have to suppress the urge to send these thoughtful letters to a whole slew of people who do not appreciate the actuality of the IVY attitude of student first, athlete second.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Nice to see a respectful point - counterpoint from the Princeton alumni and the president. All very reasoned and as much as it kills me to not see the Yale seniors play again as Elis, I get it. It makes too much sense in context of the values of an Ivy League education.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

The Ivy has some unique rules. As a player this year-particularly the seniors-whose season was taken away, it's a real disappointment. If the players could do anything to get it back, that is worth pursuing. But even if the seniors were granted that extra year next year, it is not the same; its more lacrosse, but it is not close to the same.

Deep down, the players understand this. They just want more of their senior lacrosse season back. They won't get it or anything like it back. And deep down, they also understand it. They've all been around these kinds of decisions for the last 3 years, and they know how it works. And deep down, they also respect it. These players knew what they were getting into before they got to their respective Ivy. The biggest clue is no athletic scholarship money. They next clue was going through the regular Admissions procedure. Next was being in the same classes as every other student-because you are one of those students.

Athletes like special treatment. Who wouldn't? But they also don't like being treated as stereotypical dumb jocks. They are not treated that way in the Ivy. And if you want to be treated respectfully as a serious Ivy student, the trade-off is you are not given special treatment. Most serious Ivy athletes at this level accept that and would rather have that than a special dorm or dining hall. They relish the challenge of balancing it all. Thats where they get their pride. Thats their payoff; the internal knowledge that they can play at a high level and compete in the classroom with the best as well.

On some thread recently, the concept of Ivy football competing in the !-AA postseason FCS tournament was talked about. There are always guys that want to keep playing. Thats just the way they are. Me, I never wanted to play in it. Why? Its not a real national championship. It doesn't mean you are the best team in the land. It like being the valedictorian of summer school. Its means you were the best of some carved out, sub-level. Who wants to explain that to a high school buddy or future employer? NCAA basketball tourney, lacrosse, swimming...that's real. You win that, you ARE the national champ and the best in the land.

So I think the Ivy players get it. Don't get me wrong, they are very disappointed, but they understand it, and on a certain level, agree with it. Its the trade-off they all knew they were making when they decided to attend. I personally think most of these seniors are ready to move on to their next chapters anyway.

Yes, it is a bummer not to see these teams compete, and the League is loaded with talented seniors this year. Unfortunately, that is life.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

So I think the Ivy players get it. Don't get me wrong, they are very disappointed, but they understand it, and on a certain level, agree with it. Its the trade-off they all knew they were making when they decided to attend. I personally think most of these seniors are ready to move on to their next chapters anyway.

Yes, it is a bummer not to see these teams compete, and the League is loaded with talented seniors this year. Unfortunately, that is life.
Hear. Hear.
Finish Strong
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The benefits of an Ivy education, and the drawbacks- Kids know what they are getting into when they sign with an Ivy.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Sorry if that has been discussed earlier on this thread, but has Cornell come out with a ruling on if their seniors can withdraw and return?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

It's "student" before "athlete"...unless you're at the Power 5 conferences, but the tail wags the dog at those places as they chase the almighty $$ and the coaches make more, often substantially more, than the school president...butt-backwards if you ask me.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:59 am Sorry if that has been discussed earlier on this thread, but has Cornell come out with a ruling on if their seniors can withdraw and return?
I've heard nothing. I've asked nothing. I assume that some parts of the university administration are trying. In an earlier post, I'd noted that it's got to be difficult if the school is allocating financial aid to a returning athlete and making it less available to a disadvantaged freshman. Also, what do you say to a student with other passions who would like to return but cannot? Personally, I'd love to see the Seniors back. I'm pretty sure that Cornell's President Pollack is, generally, pro athletics. My guess is that it will be done on a very limited basis or not at all.

I may be wrong, but don't any returnees require approval from the Ivy League as well?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”