All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:47 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:06 pm Only a single rain cloud that I see in the numbers - 123,000 new infections today nationwide. This is 3 times the number of infections seen on any other single day. Very strange.
That seems to me to be a pretty significant rain cloud. Obviously, deaths is the most important statistic, but new cases, new hospitalizations, ICUs, and discharges are important as well.

Maybe some numbers from yesterday bled over into today’s numbers. Easter Sunday?

Deaths are currently running at almost 4% of reported cases so are we looking at almost 5000 deaths from these new 123,000 cases? Hopefully not. Maybe a change in the ventilator protocol is improving the death rate. (Really tragic if it turns out that a lot of people died because the doctors were still trying to figure out how to treat the disease. Not their fault, of course. They have been doing the best they can under extraordinarily trying circumstances. Tragic nonetheless.)
The ventilator business is pure speculation on my part. The 123K new infections is a head scratcher given the death roll over. You would think it portends an up tick in deaths in two weeks. There is another possible explanation for the roll over - slow / bad reporting by health authorities starting on this past Saturday. I half expected that to be the case and to see a big up tick on Monday. Instead Monday confirmed what went on over the weekend. Maybe numbers this week erase all of this, but this has been in the process for a week now.
Last edited by jhu72 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:15 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:09 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:50 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 pm Not even Corona can slow down Baltimore:

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/coronavir ... crime-down
Isn't the new rule we loudly take to the Internet and blame the politician in charge? Who is the Mayor of this city and what party does he belong to?

Oh also, Ron DeSantis doing better than expected...where are the apologies?

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... -be-lower/
It's not the politician in charge's fault.
It's not 6 decades of democratic leadership.
It's everyone else's fault Baltimore sucks.
Oh, and a lack of money. There's not enough money to throw at the problems any more.

If you were to poll the Democrats here, is there even a shred of doubt that the answer to every one of Baltimore's ills is 'more money'? $2,000,000,000 can only get you so far in a city with a declining population! Even Catherine Pugh couldn't make it on that!! :lol:
Most of the Dems I know in this area would not chalk it up solely to 'revenue', 'more money'.

But, sure, the jurisdictional tax structure is part of the problem.
And many, many decades of redlining impact.

Understand that the 'money' has for two hundred years used Baltimore for work and play, redlined based on ethnicity, and in the 50's and thereon constructed highways that allowed them to move outside the jurisdiction yet commute in, but without the public transportation system enabling lower income folks to do so as well. Then shifted shopping to suburbs, then work clusters in the suburbs. Couple that with the fall of Bethlehem Steel, the sale of multiple national level businesses, and underinvestment by the State in the Port, and the loss of working class/middle class jobs decimated opportunity. Those with mobility left, especially in the wake of the riots of the late '60's.

That 'money' continues to control the political system. With the pols complicit.
Racial politics made it worse.

Very frustrating.

But not impossible to turn around.
But it's going to take leadership both at the State and City level to re-imagine what is possible and then bring State taxpayers to that mission.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:49 am
jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:06 pm Only a single rain cloud that I see in the numbers - 123,000 new infections today nationwide. This is 3 times the number of infections seen on any other single day. Very strange.
That seems to me to be a pretty significant rain cloud. Obviously, deaths is the most important statistic, but new cases, new hospitalizations, ICUs, and discharges are important as well.

Maybe some numbers from yesterday bled over into today’s numbers. Easter Sunday?

Deaths are currently running at almost 4% of reported cases so are we looking at almost 5000 deaths from these new 123,000 cases? Hopefully not. Maybe a change in the ventilator protocol is improving the death rate. (Really tragic if it turns out that a lot of people died because the doctors were still trying to figure out how to treat the disease. Not their fault, of course. They have been doing the best they can under extraordinarily trying circumstances. Tragic nonetheless.)
The ventilator business is pure speculation on my part. The 123K new infections is a head scratcher given the death roll over. You would think it portends an up tick in deaths in two weeks. There is another possible explanation for the roll over - slow / bad reporting by health authorities starting on this past Saturday. I half expected that to be the case and to see a big up tick on Monday. Instead Monday confirmed what went on over the weekend. Maybe numbers this week erase all of this, but this has been in the process for a week now.
where are you seeing 123k new cases?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

"the loss of working class/middle class jobs decimated opportunity. Those with mobility left...."

Yep. And the residents of Baltimore had little to do with the jobs leaving. Those actions came to a head based on decisions made by others. Economic opportunity will solve a lot of problems.... and economic opportunity does not mean a barbershop.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:55 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 pm Not even Corona can slow down Baltimore:

Isn't the new rule we loudly take to the Internet and blame the politician in charge? Who is the Mayor of this city and what party does he belong to?

Oh, and a lack of money. There's not enough money to throw at the problems any more.

If you were to poll the Democrats here, is there even a shred of doubt that the answer to every one of Baltimore's ills is 'more money'? $2,000,000,000 can only get you so far in a city with a declining population! Even Catherine Pugh couldn't make it on that!! :lol:
Most of the Dems I know in this area would not chalk it up solely to 'revenue', 'more money'.

But, sure, the jurisdictional tax structure is part of the problem.
And many, many decades of redlining impact.

Understand that the 'money' has for two hundred years used Baltimore for work and play, redlined based on ethnicity, and in the 50's and thereon constructed highways that allowed them to move outside the jurisdiction yet commute in, but without the public transportation system enabling lower income folks to do so as well. Then shifted shopping to suburbs, then work clusters in the suburbs. Couple that with the fall of Bethlehem Steel, the sale of multiple national level businesses, and underinvestment by the State in the Port, and the loss of working class/middle class jobs decimated opportunity. Those with mobility left, especially in the wake of the riots of the late '60's.

That 'money' continues to control the political system. With the pols complicit.
Racial politics made it worse.

Very frustrating.

But not impossible to turn around.
But it's going to take leadership both at the State and City level to re-imagine what is possible and then bring State taxpayers to that mission.
+1

I think we have to fix the basic inequities in the American system before we are going to be able to do much about Baltimore.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:03 am

The University of Manchester site. Perhaps its a mistake. I haven't compared it to other counts. In general I don't put much stock in the infection data, don't track it, don't watch it closely. The Manchester death data tracks very closely with the Hopkins data, just presented in a more easily usable format.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:55 am
The national emergency does provide enormous additional powers. They don't extend as far as he seems to think they do. I think he'd need to go to some sort of martial law, suspension of the Constitution. In no way do I trust he'll not do so.

Liz Cheney's tweet last night is an indication that at least some GOP leaders don't buy the 'absolute power' of a President.

I agree with your post but trump has stacked the federal courts with his kiss up cronies who will gleefully rubber stamp his edicts thereby making that absolute power a very real possibility.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yup. And I also learned that it’s not the politicians fault- but the fault of the people who are leaving the city.

They have some nerve for not wanting to have their property damaged/stolen, not risking bodily harm while going about their daily business, or wanting to put their kids in the failing schools. Jerks. Ruining it for everyone else.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:29 am

Yup. And I also learned that it’s not the politicians fault- but the fault of the people who are leaving the city.

They have some nerve for not wanting to have their property damaged/stolen, not risking bodily harm while going about their daily business, or wanting to put their kids in the failing schools. Jerks. Ruining it for everyone else.

You forgot to mention that they are also all "Trumpists"!

:lol:
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:16 am

The University of Manchester site. Perhaps its a mistake. I haven't compared it to other counts. In general I don't put much stock in the infection data, don't track it, don't watch it closely. The Manchester death data tracks very closely with the Hopkins data, just presented in a more easily usable format.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/health/c ... index.html
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:34 am

You can blame Trump for a lot of things. Baltimore's problems predate Trump by decades. :roll:

You can blame people like Trump, they have played their role. Real estate developers that have exacerbated the problem, playing to racial fears. You can blame major slumlords like Prince Jared. But of course, unscrupulous scumbags who are protected by society and the law at times are never part of the problem. They are just the heros of the American Dream in your book. :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

No, not their 'fault'.
These are legitimate human reactions to the situation.
I don't hear that at all. Unless it is some of those who have left imagining such critique?

But it is indeed, largely, the fault of the systematic inequities, the redlining, and the tax jurisdictions that encourage such movement.

It might be possible to say that is the 'fault' of county/state taxpayers, as a group, not wanting to support the city, living in their 'gated' enclaves. But that's a different argument from that they shouldn't have made the individual decision to what is best for their family.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:56 am

You can blame Trump for a lot of things. Baltimore's problems predate Trump by decades. :roll:

You can blame people like Trump, they have played their role. Real estate developers that have exacerbated the problem, playing to racial fears. You can blame major slumlords like Prince Jared. But of course, unscrupulous scumbags who are protected by society and the law at times are never part of the problem. They are just the heros of the American Dream in your book. :roll:
Yup, that's what I mean that the 'money' controls the political system in the city.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

BREAKING: anyone who wasn't a Democrat in Baltimore City prior to Trump's election in 2016 can now safely be assumed to always have been a Trumpist! All failures of Baltimore are now excused; Democrats in fact have not been in control! It was always thus.

Cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:01 am

BREAKING: anyone who wasn't a Democrat in Baltimore City prior to Trump's election in 2016 can now safely be assumed to always have been a Trumpist! All failures of Baltimore are now excused; Democrats in fact have not been in control! It was always thus.

Cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo.

Trolling PB. And stupid too.
Not sure why you feel the need.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwitt ... n-leaders/

That’s right, the women are smarter....
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 am

Yup. My suspicion is that we are going to find less need for ventilators and that simply providing oxygen with patients on their stomachs is going to be a lot more effective as a treatment than formal ventilation and all the associated risks. Ventilators are difficult to use. They require significant experience to drive one without damaging a patient in respiratory distress. There just aren't enough trained people in a situation like this.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:31 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 am

Yup. My suspicion is that we are going to find less need for ventilators and that simply providing oxygen with patients on their stomachs is going to be a lot more effective as a treatment than formal ventilation and all the associated risks. Ventilators are difficult to use. They require significant experience to drive one without damaging a patient in respiratory distress. There just aren't enough trained people in a situation like this.
All the volume with a new virus allows us to gain more and more insight. Hopefully this is cutting into the death count and is saving lives. The vaccine will be key but keep in mind, if it’s like the flu vaccine, it’s good for 3 months. The timing of the delivery of the vaccination will also be key.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwitt ... n-leaders/

+1000
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:46 am
Trinity wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwitt ... n-leaders/

+1000
Don't think it is necessarily smarter, but the wiring of the brain / emotional system seems to have definite advantages.

Return to “POLITICS”