All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

ggait

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by ggait »

Peter Brown wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:19 pm
1. The typical dumb analysis of American taxes always neglects to factor in the hundreds of other taxes we pay every single day: property, sales, phone access fees, etc. Not sure about you, but these seem endless and growing every day.
Petey, Petey, Petey --

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Unsubstantiated BS like that doesn't fly on this board. Which is why these boards are so good.

All in (estate tax, income tax, payroll tax, sales tax, federal tax, personal tax, business tax, state tax, local tax, every freaking tax tax).

Among the developed OECD nations, USA taxes are among the lowest. Only Korea, Turkey, Ireland, Chile, Mexico are lower for 2015. Probably even lower now due to the Trump tax cuts.

#math
#facts
#don'tpeeonmylegandtellmeitisraining

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefin ... nationally
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:31 pm It does seem like some on this board are really enjoying this, they almost seem to be full of glee when they talk about how long they believe that the current restrictions will need to last.
Nope. No one is happy about any of this. And it's certainly not like we're the only country in the world doing this, so it's not like America is making this stuff up all by themselves.

Check in on May 1st. The government restrictions will be gone, and folks will no longer be able to blame the government for the shutdown. Heck, Texas is talking about letting folks go any day now.

Then folks will understand---immediately---the the government has NOTHING to do with why folks aren't going to restaurants, clubs, bars, theaters, sporting events, subways, buses, offices, airplanes...
ggait

Post by ggait »

Unemployment in Germany expected to peak at 5.9%. (Sorry, I lost the link.)

Why? Because the German government, led by the competent Angela Merkel, had a program in place to keep paying most workers during an emergency like this.
This is where the USA biff on Covid is going to hurt. Not the difference between 40k and 60k lives (although that is obviously serious).

But the difference between 5% and 15-20% unemployment. That is really going to hurt for a long time. And will cost many extra trillions in govt spending to fix.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:27 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:04 pm sorry, maybe my bad. was referencing republicans don't pay taxes(ot don't want to), dems, do. but republicans get the benefits... and dems have to shell out for bailing them out. that part.
Oh, that.

That's an easy one. Where does much of the GDP and tax revenue come from?

And which States send next to nothing back to DC, while enormous parts of their economy is built on Federal Funding?

So Mitch McConnell's home State of Kentucky? 40% of their State Budget comes from Washington DC. And this was as of 2016. I can assure you it's worse here in 2020.

And this doesn't count Medicare. All it counts is each State's budget.

And this is obviously intuitive. How much does Silicon Valley send to DC? Or Manhattan? Now compare that with Louisville, KY.

https://taxfoundation.org/federal-aid-r ... -rankings/
there is nothing intuitive about your link and cumulative numbers.
there are dem and repub states at the high end and low end of your link on percentages. and there are dems and rep in both states.
wall st, ceos, and espec silicon valley don't skew dem? and they don't win in bailouts?
where are the cum stats?
wgdsr

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:29 pm California pays much more in federal taxes each year than it gets back, basically subsidizing Republican 3rd-world backwaters like Alabama and Arkansas.

California is home to the most innovative companies and industries in America. Look at all the great history: Apple, Oracle, HP, Google ....

This was true even in the past, where Hollywood was among the great exporters of American culture and ideas. Think Disney, Warner Brothers, and MGM.

Unlike the Republican Party, which was stupid enough to nominate and elect Donald Trump, California has essentially relegated the Republican Party to minor party status.

California is also smart enough to elect a competent leader. We didn’t elect Gavin Newsom governor because he was an entertaining reality star, a vulgar white supremacist, or just someone “new” with no prior political experience. No, Californians as a whole aren’t stupid, racist, bigoted, misogynistic, cultish pieces of trash who would support anyone like Donald Trump. We elected Newsom governor because he was a competent leader with excellent political experience as mayor and lt. governor.

With respect to the coronavirus crisis, Gov. Newsom, predictably, handled the crisis with competence in a timely manner. So much so that California is now sending equipment and supplies to other parts of the country.

California, like the more enlightened members of this forum, has to put up with the tragically moronic and deadly choices of Trump and his supporters. We can’t avoid much of that, although this crisis has shown the great threat posed by the stupidity of Trump’s supporters.

Trump and his supporters are indeed like the novel coronavirus ... an existential threat that endangers the nation ... a pathogen that will not simply go away and which must be carefully managed to save lives and the economy.

California is one of the few bright spots in this crisis. If we were to separate from the rest of the nation, we would instantly become one of the great nations of the world. Alas, it is our fate to help save the rest of the nation from Trump and the Party of Stupid.

A little gratitude from the Trump cult would be nice, but that’s probably too much to ask for.

DocBarrister :?
newsome is the all star here. where is your outrage for all others to not have done the same?
is blood on their hands, or no? simple question. yes or no.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:31 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:07 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:43 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:33 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:26 pm...& they've even conned the USA into providing their defense.

CU couldn’t begin to grasp what your sentence implies.
Oh, yes he does.

How fast would a real liberal pull our troops and forces home from Overseas? Five minutes? Ten?
… a lot faster than Obama. :lol:
Wait....hold the phone!

Are you trying to tell me that Obama isn't even close to being a liberal??? Can't be!! Hannity sez he is!!!
Far less liberal than he is considered to be by the Trumpnista. Then again, anyone slightly to the left of Adolf Hitler is a flaming ass liberal to them.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:42 pm there is nothing intuitive about your link and cumulative numbers.
there are dem and repub states at the high end and low end of your link on percentages. and there are dems and rep in both states.
wall st, ceos, and espec silicon valley don't skew dem? and they don't win in bailouts?
where are the cum stats?
Ok, the other important numbers are implied.

Here's GDP by State:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... ies_by_GDP

Take a good long look at that chart.

California's GDP---and California alone---is equivalent to these TOTAL of these States: South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Iowa, Utah, Nevada, Kansas, Arkansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, New Mexico, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Idaho, West Virginia, Delaware, Maine, North Dakota, Alaska, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Vermont.

Now connect this with the other chart. The game played by these States is to have low taxes, and then let California, Texas, New York, and Illinois make up the shortfall in their State's budgets. It's a neat game they've been playing for decades.

I'd LOVE for a balanced budget Amendment, where each State gets .90 for every dollar they put into the Federal coffers. Ten cents for overhead.

Problem with that is, Alaska, for example, would cease to function, and States like Mississippi would shut down in about a week.

And rural America would go the way of the DoDo. They NEED that Federal money, and cannot function without it.
cradleandshoot

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by cradleandshoot »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:29 pm California pays much more in federal taxes each year than it gets back, basically subsidizing Republican 3rd-world backwaters like Alabama and Arkansas.

California is home to the most innovative companies and industries in America. Look at all the great history: Apple, Oracle, HP, Google ....

This was true even in the past, where Hollywood was among the great exporters of American culture and ideas. Think Disney, Warner Brothers, and MGM.

Unlike the Republican Party, which was stupid enough to nominate and elect Donald Trump, California has essentially relegated the Republican Party to minor party status.

California is also smart enough to elect a competent leader. We didn’t elect Gavin Newsom governor because he was an entertaining reality star, a vulgar white supremacist, or just someone “new” with no prior political experience. No, Californians as a whole aren’t stupid, racist, bigoted, misogynistic, cultish pieces of trash who would support anyone like Donald Trump. We elected Newsom governor because he was a competent leader with excellent political experience as mayor and lt. governor.

With respect to the coronavirus crisis, Gov. Newsom, predictably, handled the crisis with competence in a timely manner. So much so that California is now sending equipment and supplies to other parts of the country.

California, like the more enlightened members of this forum, has to put up with the tragically moronic and deadly choices of Trump and his supporters. We can’t avoid much of that, although this crisis has shown the great threat posed by the stupidity of Trump’s supporters.

Trump and his supporters are indeed like the novel coronavirus ... an existential threat that endangers the nation ... a pathogen that will not simply go away and which must be carefully managed to save lives and the economy.

California is one of the few bright spots in this crisis. If we were to separate from the rest of the nation, we would instantly become one of the great nations of the world. Alas, it is our fate to help save the rest of the nation from Trump and the Party of Stupid.

A little gratitude from the Trump cult would be nice, but that’s probably too much to ask for.

DocBarrister :?
And still you have drug addicts pooping all over the streets of San Francisco. Doc when you drag your sorry ass out there with your pooper scooper then you can tell us how great Kallyforneea is. I went with the Arnold pronunciation of your poop covered state.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Should we stick with discussing COVID-19 on this thread?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yeah, sorry. Got my threads confused. That's on me....
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Remember the different responses of Argentina and Brazil? (I know, most posters here prefer European and Asian comparisons). Brazil hit 1000 deaths today ... I think Argentina is at about 200. Plus Brazil is under reporting. Bolsonaro is another idiot.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:25 pm Yeah, sorry. Got my threads confused. That's on me....
Thanks for all you and your team are doing on this. You are so right that the true heroes are the medical folks, the first responders, and all those who are exposing themselves to risk to make sure we have food, pharmaceuticals and other essentials.

It's truly inspiring what so many are doing.

Our company decided to offer 6 months of free service to any and all. Help people eat healthier, reduce stress, and save money.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/covid-19 ... eal-moore/

The digital aspect is easy for us, but it'll be a bit challenging for our 'chat' team to manage inbound questions about nutrition, cooking, recipes, etc. But they all wanted to pitch in!

Heartwarming.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 pm Anyone curious why Democrats seem so content to be told what to do and to not get back to work? Ever hear a Democrat here express concern for the waitress or ticket-taker who already missed April’s rent?
I have tremendous concern for people in this situation, and I know a lot of them. I WISH we were as smart as Germany, where the evil gubmint is paying 75% of everyone's wages for as long as it takes. But hey, American exceptionalism!

And yes, we've paid for Germany's defense for the past few decades. So who's being smart in that deal? (About which Trump has done zilch by the way.)
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 pmReading this board, it’s clear some here want to hide inside their house for two years. No concern for anyone other than some nebulous concern for the health of people they don’t give two whits about.
I'm working from home via zoom and I hate it. If it was me (age 64, good health), I'd risk it to go back to work. But: my wife (also 64, also generally good health, but with lifelong asthma and other related lung issues) is at high risk if she gets covid19. Do I risk her life?

So tell me Pete: DO I ???
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 pmI’d bet, by the end of this, if we did what Dems here wanted, there’d be 100x the number of suicides versus those who would die from Covid.
Another trumpista who can't do math. Projected US deaths with no mitigation are 0.5 to 2 million. Times 100 is 50 million to 200 million suicides. The latter number is 2/3 of the US population. :roll:
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 pmZero nuance. Zero ability to think more broadly than TDS. Zero concern for actual humans suffering from loss of income. Mostly this is because you guys don’t know anyone who is on the financial edge. I field at least 2 calls a day from employees who are asking if I can help their ‘brother’ who got laid off.

I know plenty of people on the edge. They are coping as best they can. Some are not paying their rent and hoping they don't get evicted.

So are you giving those 'brothers' jobs? And if you are, did you get a gubmint bailout? And if you're not, what are they supposed to do???

I want our gubmint to do what Germany's gubmint is doing. But theirs is competent, and ours is not.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:00 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:42 pm there is nothing intuitive about your link and cumulative numbers.
where are the cum stats?

Here's GDP by State:

California's GDP---and California alone---is equivalent to these TOTAL of these States: South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Iowa, Utah, Nevada, Kansas, Arkansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, New Mexico, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Idaho, West Virginia, Delaware, Maine, North Dakota, Alaska, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Vermont.

Now connect this with the other chart. The game played by these States is to have low taxes, and then let California, Texas, New York, and Illinois make up the shortfall in their State's budgets. It's a neat game they've been playing for decades.

I'd LOVE for a balanced budget Amendment, where each State gets .90 for every dollar they put into the Federal coffers. Ten cents for overhead.

Problem with that is, Alaska, for example, would cease to function, and States like Mississippi would shut down in about a week.

And rural America would go the way of the DoDo. They NEED that Federal money, and cannot function without it.
still looking for numbers that clear this up. let's stick with cali and ky, your examples.

2 data points.. what were cal fed taxes paid and ky fed taxes paid? how much was gotten back?
here's a link showing % of state budgets... again, your metric:
https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-bud ... overnments
shows 35.6% fed grants of state budget to cali vs 36.6% to ky. is that material? am i missing something?

even if you say it is relative to fed receipts, the money supposedly is for low income help primarily thru medical. isn't that a platform?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:38 pm
where are the cum stats?

Here's GDP by State:

still looking for numbers that clear this up. let's stick with cali and ky, your examples.

2 data points.. what were cal fed taxes paid and ky fed taxes paid? how much was gotten back?
shows 35.6% fed grants of state budget to cali vs 36.6% to ky. is that material? am i missing something?

even if you say it is relative to fed receipts, the money supposedly is for low income help primarily thru medical. isn't that a platform?
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-l ... ment/2700/

Sort by state residents’ dependency
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:38 pm 2 data points.. what were cal fed taxes paid and ky fed taxes paid? how much was gotten back?
Gross Collections indicates the total federal tax revenue collected by the IRS from each U.S. state, the District of Columbia, and the Puerto Rico. The figure includes all Individual federal taxes and Corporate Federal Taxes, income taxes, payroll taxes, estate taxes, gift taxes, and excise taxes

California: $450 Billion sent to Fed. State budget $209 Billion

Kentucky: $34 Billion sent to Fed. State budget $32 Billion

Does that help?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:38 pm
where are the cum stats?

Here's GDP by State:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-l ... ment/2700/

Sort by state residents’ dependency
i mean, i get it.
1st -- they're using a methodology.
2nd - cali per capita income is 35k. ky is 26.
here are their respective tax codes:
https://www.taxslayer.com/states/california
https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/ ... tucky.aspx

ky is crushing their low income populace in comparison. and they're low income. cali taxes their high earners, of which they have many more even in % than ky. they're raising money from everyone and their budget is higher per capita than cali. what are they supposed to do, exactly?

everyone understands we get no fed income tax from the bottom 50% of the population, yay? under whose tax code will they pay less money?

is it not a democrat platform that distributing or utilizing wealth from top earners to less fortunate is the way to go?are they just supposed to vote democrat so they get more money? what is your point (a fan)?
Last edited by wgdsr on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Good news. Looks like we finally have a strong signal of the daily death rate curve turning a top. This is made up of the last 5 data points. This could change over the next few days, but this is easily the strongest signature we have seen for such an event. See the curves below. The dashed curve is the relevant curve (daily deaths). The curve is a polynomial fit with no manual input to its shaping. The data points totally determine the 6th order fit. It indicates a top of almost exactly 2000 deaths per day.

(ATTN ADMIN - can't attach the 97KB file showing the curves. Get error - "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached")
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Thanks to Trump stupidity, USA leads the world in virus deaths. All those needless deaths in Puerto Rico and the present disaster will be his lasting legacy. Of course, if he steals the election in November he will bring Armageddon and that will be his true claim to fame.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 am "some of you".
wgdsr, 6 ft, doc, and more: tone it down. Less personal attacks...

Return to “POLITICS”