All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:10 pm Unemployment in Germany expected to peak at 5.9%. (Sorry, I lost the link.)

Why? Because the German government, led by the competent Angela Merkel, had a program in place to keep paying most workers during an emergency like this.

No shortage of PPE in Germany. No shortage of hospital beds, ICU beds, or health care workers. Death rate looks to be much lower than in the US (subject to uncertainties in the case numbers).

I said at the beginning that Germany would do much better than in the US, because they, unlike us, have figured out how to run a modern first-world economy as a three-way partnership among government, business, and unions, with enough trust on all sides to make it work.
...& they've even conned the USA into providing their defense.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Anyone curious why Democrats seem so content to be told what to do and to not get back to work? Ever hear a Democrat here express concern for the waitress or ticket-taker who already missed April’s rent?

Reading this board, it’s clear some here want to hide inside their house for two years. No concern for anyone other than some nebulous concern for the health of people they don’t give two whits about. I’d bet, by the end of this, if we did what Dems here wanted, there’d be 100x the number of suicides versus those who would die from Covid. How does one weigh that? Or do you simply ignore it?

Zero nuance. Zero ability to think more broadly than TDS. Zero concern for actual humans suffering from loss of income. Mostly this is because you guys don’t know anyone who is on the financial edge. I field at least 2 calls a day from employees who are asking if I can help their ‘brother’ who got laid off.

Anyway, we are gonna go back to work May 1-15, regardless of Dems screaming about Covid.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:26 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:10 pm Unemployment in Germany expected to peak at 5.9%. (Sorry, I lost the link.)

Why? Because the German government, led by the competent Angela Merkel, had a program in place to keep paying most workers during an emergency like this.

No shortage of PPE in Germany. No shortage of hospital beds, ICU beds, or health care workers. Death rate looks to be much lower than in the US (subject to uncertainties in the case numbers).

I said at the beginning that Germany would do much better than in the US, because they, unlike us, have figured out how to run a modern first-world economy as a three-way partnership among government, business, and unions, with enough trust on all sides to make it work.
...& they've even conned the USA into providing their defense.

CU couldn’t begin to grasp what your sentence implies. But of course, America is not Germany (thank god), and in the end, as always, America will emerge even stronger from this.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pmEvery time you say our taxes are ‘low’, I have to wonder if you’re being straight here. For starters, if you’re dumb enough to live in NYC or California, your earned income tax rates can approach 60%. Is that low?
It goes nowhere near that, and you know it.

And what do I use? I use GDP as it related to total tax collected. We are 33rd of out 36 1st world nations. And that's WITH a bloated military.

So yes, our taxes are unsustainably low. But because we have a nation filled with infants who think that we shouldn't pay our bills, and instead, hand them to our kids? That's where we are.
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm 1. The typical dumb analysis of American taxes always neglects to factor in the hundreds of other taxes we pay every single day: property, sales, phone access fees, etc. Not sure about you, but these seem endless and growing every day.
Our taxes go to things like a half billion dollar line item bailout for your sorry airline industry. Where do think that money will come from?

BTW, in the two years since Trump's asinine tax cuts, the major airlines paid an effective tax rate of 2.3%. And because guys like you are too far gone with the Republicans are awesome thing....you're utterly baffled as to why YOUR taxes are growing.

Your taxes are growing because favored businesses are paying next to nothing. And Republican voters are too F-ing stupid to catch on to that, and vote for Republicans who actually believe in taxing a business like mine at the same rate United Airlines should pay.

Wake up. You're not this stupid. But your Republican party sure thinks that you are.
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm Take a look at your next cell phone bill and tell me why you’re still paying a 9-11 Emergency fee.
Simple. Because, again, guys like you keep cutting State and local taxes to big Business. Remember Ocasio Cortez putting a stop to the asinine Amazon give away, where they wouldn't pay taxes in NYState?

But if Amazon calls 9/11-----someone has to answer their stupid phone call, right? So you tell me...where is that money supposed to come from if Amazon isn't paying their fair share? That's right. Endless fees.

Wake up. And yep, idiot Dems sign up for these giveaways, too.
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm 2. Not only is nothing ‘free’ in America (oh you want to go to Yellowstone! Lol give me the entrance fee!)
Who do you think comes to save you when you hurt yourself there? And who pays for that? Or puts out a fire that some idiot starts?

According to you, we shouldn't even have Federal land. Let the free market charge you and your brilliant ideals for using Yellowstone.

Quick Quiz: if a private business (read: China) owned Yellowstone, do you think they would charge more, or less than the Federal government does?

Gee whiz, that's a tough call, right? :roll:

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm but every single one of our federal services blows so hard Linda Lovelace blushes. Look how ridiculously amazing ineffective just popping out $1,200 checks is. We will never be good at federal services btw do don’t go down that path.
:lol: Canada got their checks out to everyone in 72 hours. Gee, I wonder why. Same for Germany. Gee, I wonder why.

Maybe it's because they haven't been listening to guys like you who think that government is bad.....right up until you need a cop to show up at your house, or need a nice landing strip paid for by other taxpayers. Canada and Germany have functioning governments, and don't think it's cute or clever to underfund their IRS or Treasury Department, and then act confused when it doesn't function properly.

Your entire worldview doesn't square, my friend. And the funny part is....you know it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:24 pm]i agree we don't need to be dropping trillions at the rate we do for a military when we are in no arms race. other than that, what informs the rest of your statement/opinion? any stats?
https://data.oecd.org/tax/tax-revenue.htm

Click the tab marked "table".
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:33 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:26 pm...& they've even conned the USA into providing their defense.

CU couldn’t begin to grasp what your sentence implies.
Oh, yes he does.

How fast would a real liberal pull our troops and forces home from Overseas? Five minutes? Ten?
kramerica.inc

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by kramerica.inc »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:04 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:57 pm Regrettably ggait, I have only one publication I refuse to click links to and that is The Bulwark; total frauds, non-conservatives backed by quite liberal money making some cash for themselves selling clicks to liberal audiences.

Anyway, I have been turned onto a remarkable Stanford chemist who has been apparently more right on Coronavirus than anyone, Michael Levitt, an American-British-Israeli-South African biophysicist and a professor of structural biology at Stanford University. Levitt received the 2013 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for "the development of multiscale models for complex chemical systems"

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/coronavir ... eate-says/

https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... experience
This is the same genius (and yeah, he is a genius) who predicted in March that Israel would have ten or fewer total deaths from coronavirus. Israel currently has 95 total deaths and still rising. So, he was a mere order of magnitude off in his estimate. :roll:

https://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Nobel-l ... ths-621407

Prof. Levitt understands quantitative modeling and statistics, but he doesn’t know epidemiology and medicine. Classic case of the number whiz not understanding the context of the numbers he’s looking at. He based his modeling on his analysis of China, but didn’t quite appreciate just how extraordinary (and unique) China’s mitigation measures were (and are). Police- and military-enforced shutdowns of entire mega-cities and provinces, and the quarantine of people while they awaited test results ... these were fairly unique to China. Neither Israel, and certainly not the United States, ever implemented such draconian mitigation measures.

As a result, his estimates tend to underestimate the fatalities.

Even Nobel laureates shouldn’t dabble in epidemiology. :roll:

DocBarrister :?
Doc, the great prognosticator that gave us such accurate opinions as:

"The Duke players are guilty of rape,"
"The 2019 Hopkins lax class will be transformational" and
"Hillary in a landslide."

:lol:

You are the last person who should be criticizing people making predictions.

:lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:40 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pmEvery time you say our taxes are ‘low’, I have to wonder if you’re being straight here. For starters, if you’re dumb enough to live in NYC or California, your earned income tax rates can approach 60%. Is that low?

And what do I use? I use GDP as it related to total tax collected. We are 33rd of out 36 1st world nations. And that's WITH a bloated military.

So yes, our taxes are unsustainably low. But because we have a nation filled with infants who think that we shouldn't pay our bills, and instead, hand them to our kids? That's where we are.
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm 1. The typical dumb analysis of American taxes always neglects to factor in the hundreds of other taxes we pay every single day: property, sales, phone access fees, etc. Not sure about you, but these seem endless and growing every day.
Our taxes go to things like a half billion dollar line item bailout for your sorry airline industry. Where do think that money will come from?

BTW, in the two years since Trump's asinine tax cuts, the major airlines paid an effective tax rate of 2.3%. And because guys like you are too far gone with the Republicans are awesome thing....you're utterly baffled as to why YOUR taxes are growing.

Your taxes are growing because favored businesses are paying next to nothing. And Republican voters are too F-ing stupid to catch on to that, and vote for Republicans who actually believe in taxing a business like mine at the same rate United Airlines should pay.

Wake up. You're not this stupid. But your Republican party sure thinks that you are.
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm Take a look at your next cell phone bill and tell me why you’re still paying a 9-11 Emergency fee.
Simple. Because, again, guys like you keep cutting State and local taxes to big Business. Remember Ocasio Cortez putting a stop to the asinine Amazon give away, where they wouldn't pay taxes in NYState?

But if Amazon calls 9/11-----someone has to answer their stupid phone call, right? So you tell me...where is that money supposed to come from if Amazon isn't paying their fair share? That's right. Endless fees.

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm 2. Not only is nothing ‘free’ in America (oh you want to go to Yellowstone! Lol give me the entrance fee!)
Who do you think comes to save you when you hurt yourself there? And who pays for that? Or puts out a fire that some idiot starts?

According to you, we shouldn't even have Federal land. Let the free market charge you and your brilliant ideals for using Yellowstone.

Quick Quiz: if a private business (read: China) owned Yellowstone, do you think they would charge more, or less than the Federal government does?

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm but every single one of our federal services blows so hard Linda Lovelace blushes. Look how ridiculously amazing ineffective just popping out $1,200 checks is. We will never be good at federal services btw do don’t go down that path.
:lol: Canada got their checks out to everyone in 72 hours. Gee, I wonder why. Same for Germany. Gee, I wonder why.

Maybe it's because they haven't been listening to guys like you who think that government is bad.....right up until you need a cop to show up at your house, or need a nice landing strip paid for by other taxpayers. Canada and Germany have functioning governments, and don't think it's cute or clever to underfund their IRS or Treasury Department, and then act confused when it doesn't function properly.

Your entire worldview doesn't square, my friend. And the funny part is....you know it.
… like it is some surprise that a government run by guys that don't believe it will work, don't know how to make it work, don't want it to work, can make it work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 pm Anyone curious why Democrats seem so content to be told what to do and to not get back to work? Ever hear a Democrat here express concern for the waitress or ticket-taker who already missed April’s rent?

Reading this board, it’s clear some here want to hide inside their house for two years. No concern for anyone other than some nebulous concern for the health of people they don’t give two whits about. I’d bet, by the end of this, if we did what Dems here wanted, there’d be 100x the number of suicides versus those who would die from Covid. How does one weigh that? Or do you simply ignore it?

Zero nuance.
:lol: Says the king of zero nuance.

I'm SO excited to watch all your Republican run States outperform Dem run States in the coming months. Should be a real treat to witness.

There isn't a single person here who doesn't get the economic damage, buddy.

It's YOU who doesn't understand that that damage isn't being done because of a forced shelter in place order.

Because you DESPERATELY want to blame everything on the government....all while cashing government checks to keep your industry from falling apart.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

For those trying to keep an even head about all this, we passed Italy today in total deaths for a country. We gave them a 30 day head start but we managed. I know - they have underreported and their numbers are really higher. Damn Italians always cheating. :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

PB, I'm pretty sure your first appearance around these parts was on the Loyola thread where you came out with some obnoxious and outlandish stuff. Pretty much the same on the Hop thread.
Same here. The assumptions and insinuations you make about people are untrue and really way out of line.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:03 pm PB, I'm pretty sure your first appearance around these parts was on the Loyola thread where you came out with some obnoxious and outlandish stuff. Pretty much the same on the Hop thread.
Same here. The assumptions and insinuations you make about people are untrue and really way out of line.
Petedito
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:41 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:24 pm]i agree we don't need to be dropping trillions at the rate we do for a military when we are in no arms race. other than that, what informs the rest of your statement/opinion? any stats?
https://data.oecd.org/tax/tax-revenue.htm
Click the tab marked "table".
sorry, maybe my bad. was referencing republicans don't pay taxes(ot don't want to), dems, do. but republicans get the benefits... and dems have to shell out for bailing them out. that part.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:43 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:26 pm...& they've even conned the USA into providing their defense.

Oh, yes he does.

How fast would a real liberal pull our troops and forces home from Overseas? Five minutes? Ten?
… a lot faster than Obama. :lol:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:40 pm

corporations haven't paid taxes for decades.
gaap, non-gaap, overseas operations.
depreciation. amortization.
no one wants to take it on.
they pay payroll. that's it.
that's not republican or democrat, that's washington.
we don't pay our bills. legislators and their universe get rich.
shareholders.

the tax cut changed income tax revenue for the public by less than 3%.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:04 pm sorry, maybe my bad. was referencing republicans don't pay taxes(ot don't want to), dems, do. but republicans get the benefits... and dems have to shell out for bailing them out. that part.
Oh, that.

That's an easy one. Where does much of the GDP and tax revenue come from?

And which States send next to nothing back to DC, while enormous parts of their economy is built on Federal Funding?

So Mitch McConnell's home State of Kentucky? 40% of their State Budget comes from Washington DC. And this was as of 2016. I can assure you it's worse here in 2020.

And this doesn't count Medicare. All it counts is each State's budget.

And this is obviously intuitive. How much does Silicon Valley send to DC? Or Manhattan? Now compare that with Louisville, KY.

https://taxfoundation.org/federal-aid-r ... -rankings/
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

California pays much more in federal taxes each year than it gets back, basically subsidizing Republican 3rd-world backwaters like Alabama and Arkansas.

California is home to the most innovative companies and industries in America. Look at all the great history: Apple, Oracle, HP, Google ....

This was true even in the past, where Hollywood was among the great exporters of American culture and ideas. Think Disney, Warner Brothers, and MGM.

Unlike the Republican Party, which was stupid enough to nominate and elect Donald Trump, California has essentially relegated the Republican Party to minor party status.

California is also smart enough to elect a competent leader. We didn’t elect Gavin Newsom governor because he was an entertaining reality star, a vulgar white supremacist, or just someone “new” with no prior political experience. No, Californians as a whole aren’t stupid, racist, bigoted, misogynistic, cultish pieces of trash who would support anyone like Donald Trump. We elected Newsom governor because he was a competent leader with excellent political experience as mayor and lt. governor.

With respect to the coronavirus crisis, Gov. Newsom, predictably, handled the crisis with competence in a timely manner. So much so that California is now sending equipment and supplies to other parts of the country.

California, like the more enlightened members of this forum, has to put up with the tragically moronic and deadly choices of Trump and his supporters. We can’t avoid much of that, although this crisis has shown the great threat posed by the stupidity of Trump’s supporters.

Trump and his supporters are indeed like the novel coronavirus ... an existential threat that endangers the nation ... a pathogen that will not simply go away and which must be carefully managed to save lives and the economy.

California is one of the few bright spots in this crisis. If we were to separate from the rest of the nation, we would instantly become one of the great nations of the world. Alas, it is our fate to help save the rest of the nation from Trump and the Party of Stupid.

A little gratitude from the Trump cult would be nice, but that’s probably too much to ask for.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 pm corporations haven't paid taxes for decades.
gaap, non-gaap, overseas operations.
depreciation. amortization.
no one wants to take it on.
they pay payroll. that's it.
that's not republican or democrat, that's washington.
we don't pay our bills. legislators and their universe get rich.
shareholders.

the tax cut changed income tax revenue for the public by less than 3%.
Yes!

But it's also a State thing. NYState's Dems started the corporate giveaways in the 90's. Before then? Guess who paid the lionshare of the State Budget.

That's right. Corporations did. Not anymore. Now citizens pay the corporations' taxes for them. And yet no one in New York seems to understand that's the reason their personal taxes keep going up...

Oh well. All those corporate giveaways will trickle down, right?
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 pm Anyone curious why Democrats seem so content to be told what to do and to not get back to work? Ever hear a Democrat here express concern for the waitress or ticket-taker who already missed April’s rent?

Zero nuance. Zero ability to think more broadly than TDS. Zero concern for actual humans suffering from loss of income. Mostly this is because you guys don’t know anyone who is on the financial edge. I field at least 2 calls a day from employees who are asking if I can help their ‘brother’ who got laid off.

Anyway, we are gonna go back to work May 1-15, regardless of Dems screaming about Covid.
It does seem like some on this board are really enjoying this, they almost seem to be full of glee when they talk about how long they believe that the current restrictions will need to last. That is after they let everyone else know how well they are still doing, as if anyone needs to know or cares to know about their peronal professional and financial situations.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:07 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Oh, yes he does.

… a lot faster than Obama. :lol:
Wait....hold the phone!

Are you trying to tell me that Obama isn't even close to being a liberal??? Can't be!! Hannity sez he is!!!

Return to “POLITICS”