All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Peter Brown

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:36 am
dislaxxic wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:04 am wow...check out the rightwing sneerfest going on in here this morning. How much farther along the "back to normal" curve would we be today with just a modicum of competence at the federal level? I think these folks are getting warmed up for another extended stay in the minority...

Come on up to NYS dis. We would be glad to have you. Just leave your canoe at home cause King Andy is not having any if that kind of reckless behavior. :(

Whitmer of MI just outlawed all boats including canoes by oneself.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

6x6 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:57 am
dislaxxic wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:04 am wow...check out the rightwing sneerfest going on in here this morning. How much farther along the "back to normal" curve would we be today with just a modicum of competence at the federal level? I think these folks are getting warmed up for another extended stay in the minority...

Come on up to NYS dis. We would be glad to have you. Just leave your canoe at home cause King Andy is not having any if that kind of reckless behavior. :(
Cradle, I’ll be up there in a couple weeks, lucky for me I can launch my boat from my lawn/shoreline. Plus I don’t have to worry about the Sheriff’s marine division guys, they spend all their time on Canandaigua lake. ;)
Lucky man. ;)
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:21 am Walls are crumbling around the Dems desire to kneecap the economy.

Doctors beginning to come out and say reopen the economy.

https://medium.com/@jbgeach/eight-reaso ... d3a7036301
I don't care if he is a physician - the moment he talks about "protective herd immunity" he is going for a solution that will kill a lot of people - because to get to herd immunity you need about 65% (or more) of the population to get the disease in absence of a vaccine. That is a whale of a lot of deaths that are preventable.
A question many folks are asking. If there is no herd immunity and no vaccine then this virus does not go away? Is there any solution to this or is it inevitable that outbreaks will come back with a vengeance?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:52 am Anyone see the glaring irony of Democrat governors and mayors going full fascist in their response to Covid (is it really a response to Covid?) versus the reluctance on the part of Republicans to force people to perform as demanded but be the ones called ‘fascists’? Wondering if locals here like Brook and JHU recognize the irony? You realize how difficult it’ll be to get Democrats to release fascist control now that they’ve gotten a taste for it? A vampire after first blood doesn’t just give up, boys.

The latest birdbrain governor who can’t walk and chew gum at the same time without letting her little Adolf slip show is this dingbat Whitmer of Michigan. She’s changed her rules almost every day, causing no uncertain anger among the Wolverines. National media lap her up cause Orange Man Bad or whatever. Our media are total clowns.

Back to work!!

Just a reminder that it is your side that has openly applauded Trump's version of fascist Aktion 4. Oh the irony!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

It will keep coming back.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

calourie

Post by calourie »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus- ... 07511.html

Here are some considerations about Covid that I have been discussing with my family (three of whom are in the medical profession) for a couple of weeks now. Worth taking into account when assessing how much attention, study and behavioral adjustment ought to be brought to bear in containing the virus when such a broad swath of the population (over half a million so far and likely a million +) will be to some extent effected. Not being introduced as a scare tactic but simply as an issue worth processing, with an eye towards determining what age groups with what preexisting health conditions these impacts end up applying to .
Last edited by calourie on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:02 pm
ggait wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:31 am Pete.

Have you found Stanford Levitt’s projections yet?

I have not. I looked and didn't see much. I saw him on tv and assumed he'd have a website of some sort. Struck me as a very intelligent guy, likely a Democrat based on what he was saying, but he was incredibly nuanced and level-headed. His whole thesis was we will be back working by May 15th at the latest.
So you believe a guy who believes the Chinese numbers are good, and that's the basis for his prediction. So you are prepared to say your president is wrong?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:13 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:21 am Walls are crumbling around the Dems desire to kneecap the economy.

I don't care if he is a physician - the moment he talks about "protective herd immunity" he is going for a solution that will kill a lot of people - because to get to herd immunity you need about 65% (or more) of the population to get the disease in absence of a vaccine. That is a whale of a lot of deaths that are preventable.
A question many folks are asking. If there is no herd immunity and no vaccine then this virus does not go away? Is there any solution to this or is it inevitable that outbreaks will come back with a vengeance?
You need testing, testing, testing. Both for antibodies to see who has already had it (and hopefully can actually show immunity - not sure "how" immune all patients will be) as well as active infections. Then active monitoring plus contact tracing. And then you have a framework for beginning to open things up. But not necessarily to the pre-virus levels of activity - at least until you actually have a vaccine...

May need masks in public, limits on crowds in stores.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

calourie wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:31 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus- ... 07511.html

Here are some considerations about Covid that I have been discussing with my family (three of whom are in the medical profession) for a couple of weeks now. Worth taking into account when assessing how much attention, study and behavioral adjustment ought to be brought to bear in containing the virus when such a broad swath of the population (over half a million) will be to some extent effected. Not being introduced as a scare tactic but simply as an issue worth processing, with an eye towards determining what age groups with what preexisting health conditions these impacts end up applying to .
Don't worry. It's just a "democrat hoax". It's not as bad as the flu.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Suddenly, Muslimas don't look so ugly with those face coverings anymore:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Whitmer of MI just outlawed all boats including canoes by oneself.
That'll protect her voters in Motown from the waterborne super spreaders in the Upper Peninsula.
a fan

Post by a fan »

:lol: Doctors who will never have to deal with one single Covid patient. Boy, he sure is brave to sacrifice his fellow doctors working in LA.

You ALL have this delightful attitude "I don't have to deal with this, and neither does anyone in my family, so.....F those people, let's open the economy".

Even with this dumb*ssery of yours and some of the other posters here, your superhuman Republican leaders in Republican States have to deal with the free market.

So sure, go right ahead and lift the government restrictions. Good luck convincing people to go to crowded restaurants, bars, stadiums, subways, planes, and on and on and on.

We're not ready. Not even close. None of your Republican governors have a plan to keep the virus under control. Heck, none of them are even talking about the plan.

And yet you and others here think we're going to just "flip a switch" in, what, two weeks? :lol: Until State governors come up with a tangible plan, your airline industry, in particular, is royally F'ed. I wouldn't get on a plane right now if you paid me. Neither does anyone else with an IQ above room temperature.

Picture any competent manager of any business. Would you want your people traveling right now? And then returning to the office? And this manager doesn't have to care about anything other than money. It's financial suicide to let your talent travel, and then come back to the office.

Do we have enough PPE? Masks? Do we have enough laser temperature readers to keep people with fevers from entering buildings? Do we have enough Covid tests? And as I type this from my distillery on a freaking Saturday, making more 95% alcohol for the endless list of hospitals and first responders begging for it....do we have enough hand sanitizer?

No, no, no, no, and no.

But yeah, "it's the Dems" keeping the economy from running. :roll:
Last edited by a fan on Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 pm

:lol: Doctors who will never have to deal with one single Covid patient. Boy, he sure is brave to sacrifice his fellow doctors working in LA.

You ALL have this delightful attitude "I don't have to deal with this, and neither does anyone in my family, so.....F those people, let's open the economy".

Even with this dumb*ssery of yours and some of the other posters here, your superhuman Republican leaders in Republican States have to deal with the free market.

So sure, go right ahead and lift the government restrictions. Good luck convincing people to go to crowded restaurants, bars, stadiums, subways, planes, and on and on and on.

We're not ready. Not even close. None of your Republican governors have a plan to keep the virus under control. Heck, none of them are even talking about the plan.

And yet you and others here think we're going to just "flip a switch" in, what, two weeks? :lol: Until State governors come up with a tangible plan, your airline industry, in particular, is royally F'ed. I wouldn't get on a plane right now if you paid me. Neither does anyone else with an IQ above room temperature.

Picture any competent manager of any business. Would you want your people traveling right now? And then returning to the office? And this manager doesn't have to care about anything other than money. It's financial suicide to let your talent travel, and then come back to the office.

Do we have enough PPE? Masks Do we have enough laser temperature readers to keep people with fevers from entering buildings? Do we have enough Covid tests? And as I type this from my distillery on a freaking Saturday, making more 95% alcohol for the endless list of hospitals and first responders begging for it....do we have enough hand sanitizer?

No, no, no, and no.

But yeah, "it's the Dems" keeping the economy from running. :roll:
Actually this doctor (the one in LA has the same name) is a "country anesthesiologist" in the Chattanooga area. But you are very on point otherwise.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:35 pm

You need testing, testing, testing. Both for antibodies to see who has already had it (and hopefully can actually show immunity - not sure "how" immune all patients will be) as well as active infections. Then active monitoring plus contact tracing. And then you have a framework for beginning to open things up. But not necessarily to the pre-virus levels of activity - at least until you actually have a vaccine...

Above is what makes sense.

But Trump is going to use his 'metrics'...when asked what 'metrics', points to his head...

Let's pray that those who know better are persuasive.

Else we're indeed going into waves of infection to get to 'herd immunity'... which is back to hundreds of thousands and ultimately millions dead, not thousands or tens of thousands.

That's what all these right wingers are actually asking for. Crazy as that sounds.

But this doesn't have to happen...we could get the testing and we could get to therapies that help and we could get to a vaccine. Likely in that order.

But as a society we need to come together behind a massive effort to get that to happen. And pray that the scientists are successful with therapies and vaccine.

Do that and we can get a methodical re-opening to actually stick.

Don't do that and we're back to the potential of total social order collapse.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i have my own suspicion that there is some remote chance that there are a lot more asymptomatic folks out there that have gotten/will get it without problem. the likelihood of that going on is probably single digits.

gottlieb suggests less than 3% of the pop. antibody tests finding 3% will do nada.
best chance is going to be people's actions once somewhat liberated. and a more robust testing setup and awareness. how much are employers going to want to keep someone around who has been possibly exposed? that's how antibody tests can help, if widely available and accurate.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:02 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:35 pm

Above is what makes sense.

But Trump is going to use his 'metrics'...when asked what 'metrics', points to his head...
TDS in full effect right there MD, TDS is tearing you apart inside.....take a break. Trump specifically said he was going to surround himself with the brightest in the medical, business, statistical, etc, etc field...but ultimately it is his decision....when he pointed to his head; he is our President, no?

First link that showed up when I googled 'Trump panel to reopen' https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/10/trump-s ... althy.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Unemployment in Germany expected to peak at 5.9%. (Sorry, I lost the link.)

Why? Because the German government, led by the competent Angela Merkel, had a program in place to keep paying most workers during an emergency like this.

No shortage of PPE in Germany. No shortage of hospital beds, ICU beds, or health care workers. Death rate looks to be much lower than in the US (subject to uncertainties in the case numbers).

I said at the beginning that Germany would do much better than in the US, because they, unlike us, have figured out how to run a modern first-world economy as a three-way partnership among government, business, and unions, with enough trust on all sides to make it work.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:10 pm Unemployment in Germany expected to peak at 5.9%. (Sorry, I lost the link.)

Why? Because the German government, led by the competent Angela Merkel, had a program in place to keep paying most workers during an emergency like this.

No shortage of PPE in Germany. No shortage of hospital beds, ICU beds, or health care workers. Death rate looks to be much lower than in the US (subject to uncertainties in the case numbers).

I said at the beginning that Germany would do much better than in the US, because they, unlike us, have figured out how to run a modern first-world economy as a three-way partnership among government, business, and unions, with enough trust on all sides to make it work.
Well, if I've learned anything in the last month....all these events have made the American right double down. They still think minimal government is the true path.

Despite the trillions in government handouts headed their way. :roll:
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump

Return to “POLITICS”