Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jersey shore lax

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by jersey shore lax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:22 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:59 am Here's an idea: I suggest Ivy league seniors get together and assemble an all-star team of Ivy League seniors, then approach one school that has never won a national championship, say Jacksonville or Ohio State and see if they'll admit all of them to a one year masters program.
Make it Utah!
LIU
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If they really want to win a championship....go to a D3 school.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
JHUFan

Post by JHUFan »

Reposting my note from the Hopkins thread here:

I would think Hopkins has to be at the very least on the radar (if not one of the final contenders) for all Ivy players in this situation (i.e. Sowers and Morril) simply because of the academic reputation. Who works their butt off at Yale or Princeton for 4 years only to settle for a degree from a clearly inferior academic institution (i.e. Penn State) with no consideration for Hopkins, which is easily the best academic option left out there with a relevant lacrosse team with Duke being the only exception.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

JHUFan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:43 pm Reposting my note from the Hopkins thread here:

I would think Hopkins has to be at the very least on the radar (if not one of the final contenders) for all Ivy players in this situation (i.e. Sowers and Morril) simply because of the academic reputation. Who works their butt off at Yale or Princeton for 4 years only to settle for a degree from a clearly inferior academic institution (i.e. Penn State) with no consideration for Hopkins, which is easily the best academic option left out there with a relevant lacrosse team with Duke being the only exception.
Why should Ivy League seniors want to add another NC trophy to JHU when they can make a statement to the Ivy League hierarchy by joining together to win an NC at a school that hasn't ever won one, while earning a masters degree at the same time?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

JHUFan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:43 pm Reposting my note from the Hopkins thread here:

Interesting point, but at the graduate degree level, it's a slightly different story. UVA has always been a highly respected choice for Ivy grads, and has had some success in lacrosse. Notre Dame has highly respectable academic and lacrosse programs. Both these schools have great alumni networks if graduates want to go into a Wall Street type career. I'd include UNC in that mix at the margin. Frankly, in many walks of life, an Ivy undergrad degree, a decent grad degree and a NC ring are worth more than an Ivy undergrad degree and an esoteric high brow degree.
JHUFan

Post by JHUFan »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Why should Ivy League seniors want to add another NC trophy to JHU when they can make a statement to the Ivy League hierarchy by joining together to win an NC at a school that hasn't ever won one, while earning a masters degree at the same time?
In Sowers' case, he is withdrawing from Princeton. He is not seeking a graduate degree. My understanding is that he will be getting his undergraduate degree from wherever he plays next year.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I just read a US Lacrosse article that he is not withdrawing. I apologize if I'm incorrect. I don't see why he wouldn't want to graduate at Princeton and play while doing grad work elsewhere. Good luck to Hopkins. I hope that you get some additional talent out of the current scramble.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I don't know if people are actually serious about this idea or just messing around, but the Ivy League seniors are not going to A) en masse join a single team or B) en masse join a single team at freaking Utah or Jacksonville any other "off the beaten path" school to prove they could win a title there. If you actually think this, you're engaging in pure wish fulfillment and it's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

The Ivy League players aren't a monolith who have the same motivations and goals. And just because they play in the Ivy League doesn't mean they all know each other and are friends and want to "join together." It's such a weird idea. Maybe 1 or 2 will go to the same school but that's it. This isn't a thing.

As for Hopkins, it's a great school but depending on the Masters or grad program they're looking for, there are several B1G or ACC schools who have better ones than Hopkins. Unless you wanna do epidemiology or med school, in which case go to Hopkins.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

faircornell wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 pm I just read a US Lacrosse article that he is not withdrawing. I apologize if I'm incorrect. I don't see why he wouldn't want to graduate at Princeton and play while doing grad work elsewhere. Good luck to Hopkins. I hope that you get some additional talent out of the current scramble.
Princeton isn't going to let him withdraw and come back and play. That was basically the final straw that made him enter the portal
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:34 pm
faircornell wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 pm I just read a US Lacrosse article that he is not withdrawing. I apologize if I'm incorrect. I don't see why he wouldn't want to graduate at Princeton and play while doing grad work elsewhere. Good luck to Hopkins. I hope that you get some additional talent out of the current scramble.
Princeton isn't going to let him withdraw and come back and play. That was basically the final straw that made him enter the portal
Thank you for the clarification. But is everyone sure he's not going to take the next 6-8 weeks to graduate? I'm really no expert, but can't he graduate first and "transfer" later? I'm not trying to be too thick headed here, but I'd seems like a rash decision.

Edit:

I've re-read both the US Lacrosse article and IL. I might be missing something, but I really can't understand why a senior would avoid graduation, and not play as a grad student elsewhere. The only thing that I can think of is a belief that a team who can "win it all" can't provide a grad school opportunity. Perhaps he'll receive an honorary doctorate in 40 years...
Last edited by faircornell on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:12 am
Thank you for the clarification. But is everyone sure he's not going to take the next 6-8 weeks to graduate? I'm really no expert, but can't he graduate first and "transfer" later? I'm not trying to be too thick headed here, but I'd seems like a rash decision.
He's still going to graduate. Entering the transfer portal just allows coaches to contact him.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

JHUFan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:16 pm

In Sowers' case, he is withdrawing from Princeton. He is not seeking a graduate degree. My understanding is that he will be getting his undergraduate degree from wherever he plays next year.
I think he’s graduating first,
and then seeking out a grad program,
Law, or two year Business, two year Engineering degrees.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Edit:

I've re-read both the US Lacrosse article and IL. I might be missing something, but I really can't understand why a senior would avoid graduation, and not play as a grad student elsewhere. The only thing that I can think of is a belief that a team who can "win it all" can't provide a grad school opportunity. Perhaps he'll receive an honorary doctorate in 40 years...
Sowers will complete his Princeton degree at the end of this Semester. He will send a year as a graduate student wherever he lands. Take classes to prepare for his “real” job. My guess is he will take a “gap” year before he takes his job.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:55 am

Edit:

Sowers will complete his Princeton degree at the end of this Semester. He will send a year as a graduate student wherever he lands. Take classes to prepare for his “real” job. My guess is he will take a “gap” year before he takes his job.
Yes. This was a fast mover and the carpet got pulled out on many a player...the snowball is still rolling downhill.

On 31-MAR there was a post on Lacrosse _Bucket Instagram that he he withdrew from PU, then on 02-APR he sent out a clarification that he was not withdrawing, then 09-APR PU/IL dropped the hammer and denied the 5th year opportunity the NC$$ as ruled on.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:03 am

Edit:

Yes. This was a fast mover and the carpet got pulled out on many a player...the snowball is still rolling downhill.

On 31-MAR there was a post on Lacrosse _Bucket Instagram that he he withdrew from PU, then on 02-APR he sent out a clarification that he was not withdrawing, then 09-APR PU/IL dropped the hammer and denied the 5th year opportunity the NC$$ as ruled on.
There was a question whether athletes would be able to withdraw and return like other students are able to do and how many athletes have done in the past to retain eligibility. HPY decided against it for spring athletes. A life lesson.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:28 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:03 am

Edit:

There was a question whether athletes would be able to withdraw and return like other students are able to do and how many athletes have done in the past to retain eligibility. HPY decided against it for spring athletes. A life lesson.
Yes....and at the time on another thread, you and others believed, rightfully so, there will likely be more. So the real question we should be asking....did players like Sowers first check, in writing, with their AD/Administration, prior to assuming the NCAA rule would apply. The answer to that question would provide insight into how the decision was made from the IL presidents and if players like Sowers received a response to their initial inquiry.

As many have spoken up about, the NCAA created this darned mess and left the institutions to sort it out. Sucks all around.
~Livy
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

seems like some of the student athletes are trying to find another option https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/artic ... -speak-out
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

Sent to PU president. Doubt he'll read.

President Eisgruber,

I sent the below email to Ms. Marcoux-Samaan, the Ford Family Director of Athletics. My email contains the logical solutions to the issue at hand.

It has been indicated to me that the decision to not allow senior spring withdraw athletes to return was made at your level. If you made this decision, the student athletes and alumni deserve to hear from you. Don't make Ms. Marcoux-Samaan do your dirty work. You shouldn't be hiding in Nassau Hall.

This is bad form. Simply put, you have behaved as a true coward throughout this situation. You'll never get another dollar from me to the University. Not that my money matters, but in principle you have failed our student athletes and alumni. I hope self preservation and an ivory tower give you solace in these times. Your integrity will not.
Typical Lax Dad

Ox77 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:50 am seems like some of the student athletes are trying to find another option https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/artic ... -speak-out
Very good letter and it’s 100% on point. Princeton went with a decision which is outside of its guideline. The decision will have a disparate impact on student athletes. I didn’t know Ivy League eligibility differed from NCAA eligibility regarding 4 years of competition. I understand no graduate students but this decision seems arbitrary. Not just lacrosse players will suffer. Missing reunions and graduation is something you just can’t get back.
renault

Post by renault »

The only real option for most of these Ivy League seniors who want a fifth year is to choose a school with a one-year BS "management" degree (BS meaning bullsh*t, not bachelors). There are plenty of great schools who offer these sorts of programs: Duke, UVA, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/mms ... s-business

https://www.commerce.virginia.edu/ms-commerce

https://michiganross.umich.edu/graduate ... management

https://mendoza.nd.edu/graduate-program ... ement-msm/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”