Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

General Chatter
njbill

Re: Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

Post by njbill »

tech37 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 am she's an AA... made the All Attitude team here at home this past year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmm. Gives me an idea for a thread. Examples of teenage girl attitude. On second thought, maybe not.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:37 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 am she's an AA... made the All Attitude team here at home this past year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmm. Gives me an idea for a thread. Examples of teenage girl attitude. On second thought, maybe not.
:D Thanks for reconsidering...
DMac

Post by DMac »

You're getting soft, tech, shoulda got the AA some knitting needles and cook books rather than the X Box. She would have loved you even more later on in life (not).
Have said it a million times, don't know how you guys survived the daughter thing, pretty sure I would have ended up in the nut house or jail (that's only if CPS found out I had locked her in the house from about 11 to 22....maybe 25). Daddy, Tommy wants to take me to the Prom. Sorry, sweetie, but that aint happenin'.
:D
DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Increasing, a number of foot trails across the country are being closed due to inability to insure social distancing. Service and fire roads generally being the exception. A friend who recently moved from Pasadena to Tucson had been enjoying foot trails in his neighborhood, but is now relegated to paved streets. Same in my area. I’ve always enjoyed walking in cemeteries and use the local, historic Forest Lawn several times a week now. Normally it’s pretty dead there, but still plenty of space under current conditions. Local news just mentioned that all public events in Toronto are banned to June 30th.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Pub Choir (from Australia) goes online :
Pub Choir
30.6K subscribers
A few days ago we asked the internet to stop misery scrolling for a moment, and to sing with us!

Over 1000 people from 18 countries submitted a video of their performance of “Close To You” (The Carpenters) in just TWO DAYS.

Every submission that we successfully received was manually added to the collective. And then we saw the magic unfold… Plug in those earphones and turn this up.

We can’t adequately express in words what a gift your videos were to us. Each was like unwrapping a beautiful, personal, virtual hug. Thanks for trusting us with your voices, and for sharing your lives with us for a few minutes.

We really hope the result gives you something to smile about. We’d love you to share it far and wide (please note, we won’t ask you to make it viral…)
Special thanks to Sleepy Mountain Films for this incredible edit.

Until our next Couch Choir session…
Pub Choir
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

A just baked myself a buttermilk pie for tomorrow's brekkie and started to re-read The Education of Henry Adams.

Years ago I read the book with my American history book club. Sadly the club is now inactive. With all the reading and writing I did with them, I would easily qualify for a BA in the subject. We also read a couple of graduate level books so that I could easily qualify for a few Masters credits as well.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 am Living in ADK Park, there's an abundance of hiking trails and day-trip mountains to climb, so that is a daily routine.

The balance of time is spent keeping my teenage daughter on task, no easy feat... she's an AA... made the All Attitude team here at home this past year. She's doing her school work via internet with video conferences, which under the circumstances, is pretty cool.

It goes against every grain of my old school disposition but we're installing an XBox for her today. Damn... read a book!, make some art!, take a hike!
Tech, my daughter keeps bugging me to do the Adk46s and if she plans some I’ll probably join her. We’ve done a couple hikes around there but haven’t finished a climb to one of the peaks yet. At my age, highly doubtful I could finish them all before I croak.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 am You're getting soft, tech, shoulda got the AA some knitting needles and cook books rather than the X Box. She would have loved you even more later on in life (not).
Have said it a million times, don't know how you guys survived the daughter thing, pretty sure I would have ended up in the nut house or jail (that's only if CPS found out I had locked her in the house from about 11 to 22....maybe 25). Daddy, Tommy wants to take me to the Prom. Sorry, sweetie, but that aint happenin'.
:D
Yeah Dmac I used to have a full head of hair, after raising four daughters I still have the same amount of hair except now it’s on different parts of my body. :roll:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

6x6 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 am Living in ADK Park, there's an abundance of hiking trails and day-trip mountains to climb, so that is a daily routine.

The balance of time is spent keeping my teenage daughter on task, no easy feat... she's an AA... made the All Attitude team here at home this past year. She's doing her school work via internet with video conferences, which under the circumstances, is pretty cool.

It goes against every grain of my old school disposition but we're installing an XBox for her today. Damn... read a book!, make some art!, take a hike!
Tech, my daughter keeps bugging me to do the Adk46s and if she plans some I’ll probably join her. We’ve done a couple hikes around there but haven’t finished a climb to one of the peaks yet. At my age, highly doubtful I could finish them all before I croak.
Sorry 6X6...didn't see this post with everything else going on. First of all, it's fantastic your daughter wants to share that experience with you... You're a lucky dad!

I'm not a 46er. For me it has never been important but I certainly respect all those who are. I have hiked/climbed several high peaks numerous times. Marcy, Algonquin, Haystack, Saddleback (once, whew), Colden, e.g.,... all seasons. If you have the chance, hike a high peak during winter, it's spectacular. Haystack in October may be my favorite though.

I know what you mean re age. The last high peak for me was Mt. Colden two years ago. The route I took was close to 20 mi round trip, an all-day affair, and I needed a couple days to recover. :D

Lately I've been staying beneath the tree line, hiking smaller mts., closer to home. Perhaps I'll hike Haystack one more time.

I hope she meets her 46er goal, a commendable aspiration. And I hope you rally to join her, at least for a few. Those will be special memories.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Local news reports here in Lake Wobegone keep changing their story on how to protect yourself against naughty virus germs. Today a new report came out - whenever you step outside, before you enter your home, remove your shoes and leave them in the garage as floors in shops or streets can get contaminated from airborne germs. If you venture indoors with them on, be sure to mop your floor with disinfectant. Wash the clothes you used when venturing outdoors after only one use and do the same with any gloves you wear. Nothing was said about hanging your laundry in the open air.

What they are not saying is, what can you do to protect yourself from having germs entering through your window. Will an air conditioner draw in germs? Will a door or window screen keep out germs? If a screen works, how often should it be washed?

Anyone have suggestions or comments on this? I have posed a few questions to CDC on their website but never get an answer so I don't know what to do about these things.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I believe the more authoritative a site the more careful they will be to restrict their answers to to peer-reviewed studies on this specific virus, so you are forced to search elsewhere for "sounds reasonable to be" answers. So, with that, here goes:

It is all about reasonable risk.

If you spend any time in East Asia, you will find the Western custom of wearing shoes indoors totally gross. Just don't. That said, UV radiation (not sure how much you get in Minnesota) is generally bad news for viruses, so if you go walking outside on a sunny day, I guess your shoes are not likely to be a major risk vector.

Since the viral load affects how likely you are to become infected by a virus, physical distance helps. Intuitively, if it spreads from a cough omnidirectionally from a single point, your load per unit of volume decreases with the cube of the distance from the source. So, if you are talking about open windows (screens should be negligible), I would feel free to open them.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:32 am Local news reports here in Lake Wobegone keep changing their story on how to protect yourself against naughty virus germs. Today a new report came out - whenever you step outside, before you enter your home, remove your shoes and leave them in the garage as floors in shops or streets can get contaminated from airborne germs. If you venture indoors with them on, be sure to mop your floor with disinfectant. Wash the clothes you used when venturing outdoors after only one use and do the same with any gloves you wear. Nothing was said about hanging your laundry in the open air.

What they are not saying is, what can you do to protect yourself from having germs entering through your window. Will an air conditioner draw in germs? Will a door or window screen keep out germs? If a screen works, how often should it be washed?

Anyone have suggestions or comments on this? I have posed a few questions to CDC on their website but never get an answer so I don't know what to do about these things.
Or you could just do this. Better listen to him Brooklyn...
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Or you could just do this. Better listen to him Brooklyn...
YYqnoULgD30

LOL. That was one of my fave lines from way back when. But, as life would have it, I became a teetotaler and shall remain so for the rest of my life.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:56 pm I believe the more authoritative a site the more careful they will be to restrict their answers to to peer-reviewed studies on this specific virus, so you are forced to search elsewhere for "sounds reasonable to be" answers. So, with that, here goes:

It is all about reasonable risk.

If you spend any time in East Asia, you will find the Western custom of wearing shoes indoors totally gross. Just don't. That said, UV radiation (not sure how much you get in Minnesota) is generally bad news for viruses, so if you go walking outside on a sunny day, I guess your shoes are not likely to be a major risk vector.

Since the viral load affects how likely you are to become infected by a virus, physical distance helps. Intuitively, if it spreads from a cough omnidirectionally from a single point, your load per unit of volume decreases with the cube of the distance from the source. So, if you are talking about open windows (screens should be negligible), I would feel free to open them.

Good reply. That sure is a lot to think about. We have not had much sunlight lately as it has been very cloudy for days on end. Hopefully, the moisture won't lead to droplets carrying germs all over Lake Wobegone. Mebbe the sun will come back soon and its UV rays kill off some of those little nasty creatures who infect people. The good news is that (so far) the casualty count has been low compared to other states. Unlike others, Governor Walz immediately issued a mitigation order and ceased much social activity. The Republicans have been whining ceasely ever since but none have praised him for the low casualty numbers that we've had compared to other states.

~ Aha! ~ I just looked out my window and the sun is shining brightly (was partly cloudly all day). Hopefully, it'll get its job done.

Stay safe!

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

To be fair, it is a lot harder to practice your social distancing when you try to board at Borough Hall for Wall Street at 8:30 than anywhere in Minnesota, even The Cities.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Beating the record:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... ronavirus/

Not these guys:

ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:32 am Local news reports here in Lake Wobegone keep changing their story on how to protect yourself against naughty virus germs. Today a new report came out - whenever you step outside, before you enter your home, remove your shoes and leave them in the garage as floors in shops or streets can get contaminated from airborne germs. If you venture indoors with them on, be sure to mop your floor with disinfectant. Wash the clothes you used when venturing outdoors after only one use and do the same with any gloves you wear. Nothing was said about hanging your laundry in the open air.

brooks- what about those with no garage- yikes!!!

:P
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:18 pm

Yep. I'm one of those unfortunate folks. So I decided to keep a small bucket of pine sol by my door and immediately mop the place upon walking into my apartment. Generally, management has been good about keeping the tenement clean but there is only so much they can do to keep out naughty bacteria. Oh well, keep trying ...

ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:53 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:18 pm

Yep. I'm one of those unfortunate folks. So I decided to keep a small bucket of pine sol by my door and immediately mop the place upon walking into my apartment. Generally, management has been good about keeping the tenement clean but there is only so much they can do to keep out naughty bacteria. Oh well, keep trying ...
good idea. stay safe!!!
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”