Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sting The Corner

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by Sting The Corner »

Stinks for these seniors. This will quickly become league wide policy.

Double-whammy of an ultra talented senior class losing the season, and then possibly headed off to the Big 10 or ACC. Sowers already in the pool. 2021 could be a bitter pill to swallow for the IL.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Sting The Corner wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:55 pm Stinks for these seniors. This will quickly become league wide policy.

Double-whammy of an ultra talented senior class losing the season, and then possibly headed off to the Big 10 or ACC. Sowers already in the pool. 2021 could be a bitter pill to swallow for the IL.
Agree. If class of 2020 seniors like Teat, Sowers and TD Ierlan can't play in the Ivy next season, it would seem the quality of play will almost have to go down next year. Of course, that was going to be true in any case, but as things have played out we miss out on watching a tremendous 2020 Ivy season unfold with a terrific senior class (sigh). Right now it seems hard to fathom Sowers playing for a college other than Princeton, but if his hand is forced....
calourie

Post by calourie »

Losing their senior leadership, while leagues like the BIG and ACC get to keep theirs and even add to it via transfers, will most certainly be a disadvantage next year for the Ivies in their efforts to reproduce the relative strength they exhibited this one. The silver lining is that that deficit is apt to turn up being as asset one more year out, given the added playing time and responsibility that the younger players will be called on to provide. The loss of the likes of Sowers, Teat, Ierlan et al is disappointing, but I would expect there to be several young men who will step up and do us all proud. The Ivies look to be recruiting about as well as any league in the country, and there is no reason to doubt there are some super stars waiting to step forward among them.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:38 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:42 pm Yale is following the same path as Princeton
I heard Harvard as well but I have not heard about Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth or Penn. I was hoping each school would follow their existing guidelines but some withdrawal policies are more stringent than others. My guess is that this will be a league wide decision but I may be wrong.
TLD, has Harvard made a public statement? Doesn’t seem like the kind of thing you’d stay quiet about.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

thetruth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:35 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:42 pm Yale is following the same path as Princeton
I heard Harvard as well but I have not heard about Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth or Penn. I was hoping each school would follow their existing guidelines but some withdrawal policies are more stringent than others. My guess is that this will be a league wide decision but I may be wrong.
TLD, has Harvard made a public statement? Doesn’t seem like the kind of thing you’d stay quiet about.
I don’t think I saw it but someone else mentioned it. I had heard from a parent with a player that HPY made the same decision earlier in the day.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Here's an idea: I suggest Ivy league seniors get together and assemble an all-star team of Ivy League seniors, then approach one school that has never won a national championship, say Jacksonville or Ohio State and see if they'll admit all of them to a one year masters program. Do you think any Division 1 head coach couldn't figure out how to win a national championship with that crew plus his current players? Or instead, approach a school that has only been playing lacrosse for a couple years. That would be great to watch. An all star team made up of great kids who got screwed by the Ivy League. A message needs to be sent to the Ivy League that kids get admitted to Ivy League schools based upon their academic prowess plus extracurricular activities and those schools should better respect the extracurricular aspect of their students.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I mean it’s limited but Hobart has a sole grad offering of a Masters in Teaching. Little guys punching above their weight while the NCAA consistently has screwed us not allowing us to offer scholarships. Nice history and while the studs all conspiring would be the big story there’s be a lot of fun talking about this little school getting it done at this level.

Plus for Cornell folks may as well keep the title in upstate and it’d be a opportunity to beat Cuse in our trophy game as well, which we’ve only done 2 in in 20yrs (a number of heartbreakers and tough losses over the years as well)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 am I mean it’s limited but Hobart has a sole grad offering of a Masters in Teaching. Little guys punching above their weight while the NCAA consistently has screwed us not allowing us to offer scholarships. Nice history and while the studs all conspiring would be the big story there’s be a lot of fun talking about this little school getting it done at this level.

Plus for Cornell folks may as well keep the title in upstate and it’d be a opportunity to beat Cuse in our trophy game as well, which we’ve only done 2 in in 20yrs (a number of heartbreakers and tough losses over the years as well)
What is the reason behind Hobart not being allowed to offer scholarships?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 am I mean it’s limited but Hobart has a sole grad offering of a Masters in Teaching. Little guys punching above their weight while the NCAA consistently has screwed us not allowing us to offer scholarships. Nice history and while the studs all conspiring would be the big story there’s be a lot of fun talking about this little school getting it done at this level.

But Hobart has 14 national championships. It would be nice for a school to get their first one.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

This would make a great mini-series on the intertubes, but as far as actually happening... Also too, imagine the chosen team's players' reactions to a group of mercenaries helicoptering in without knowledge or concern abt the team's culture, history, interpersonal dynamics, etc etc. Is the potential for #winning! likely to be the existing players' first thought?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:17 am

Long story short because we didn’t elect initially in 1980 with the official formation but they also allowed inter divisional play so half their schedule through the 80s was D1, then in 1994 NCAA disallowed interdivisional play which allowed us (maybe all schools, not sure) to make a decision and the school felt its history in upstate with Syracuse and Cornell were important enough to move to D1. But...when requesting the ability to give scholarships, no different than Hop, they told us to pound sand. And we’ve asked a few times subsequently to quick rejections. I think they’d love to get rid of all grandfathered split division schools.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:02 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:17 am

Long story short because we didn’t elect initially in 1980 with the official formation but they also allowed inter divisional play so half their schedule through the 80s was D1, then in 1994 NCAA disallowed interdivisional play which allowed us (maybe all schools, not sure) to make a decision and the school felt its history in upstate with Syracuse and Cornell were important enough to move to D1. But...when requesting the ability to give scholarships, no different than Hop, they told us to pound sand. And we’ve asked a few times subsequently to quick rejections. I think they’d love to get rid of all grandfathered split division schools.
Interesting. I didn’t realize that. Anyway, I took two beatings in Geneva back in the day....
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Probably deserved them. Be grateful we let you leave with your dignity. :)
Typical Lax Dad

thetruth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:35 pm
https://www.boston.com/sports/college-s ... hletes/amp
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

I have a question about Sowers, did he already withdraw from Princeton? If so can he can back in and get his degree from Princeton or will it be from anther school? I'd think a Princeton degree with a masters somewhere else be a much better play no that the Ivy has made the call about seniors
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

palaxoff wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:17 pm I have a question about Sowers, did he already withdraw from Princeton? If so can he can back in and get his degree from Princeton or will it be from anther school? I'd think a Princeton degree with a masters somewhere else be a much better play no that the Ivy has made the call about seniors
He put out a tweet last week saying he had not withdrawn.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

A 5th year is not and never was an option at Dartmouth. Because the academic calendar is quarters, a lacrosse season encompasses 2 quarters:winter and spring (Jan-May). Even if kids withdrew from Spring '20, which began on 3/30, it would only leave them 1 more academic undergraduate term. Further, if a student is in good academic standing, it is virtually impossible to granted an extra term to complete an undergraduate degree. I am sure it takes some sting out of the whole situation that other Ivies are following suit. Horrible for all, but at least equitable.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:59 am Here's an idea: I suggest Ivy league seniors get together and assemble an all-star team of Ivy League seniors, then approach one school that has never won a national championship, say Jacksonville or Ohio State and see if they'll admit all of them to a one year masters program.
Make it Utah!
Typical Lax Dad

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:04 pm
A 5th year is not and never was an option at Dartmouth. Because the academic calendar is quarters, a lacrosse season encompasses 2 quarters:winter and spring (Jan-May). Even if kids withdrew from Spring '20, which began on 3/30, it would only leave them 1 more academic undergraduate term. Further, if a student is in good academic standing, it is virtually impossible to granted an extra term to complete an undergraduate degree. I am sure it takes some sting out of the whole situation that other Ivies are following suit. Horrible for all, but at least equitable.
Thanks. I didn’t know that about Dartmouth. So Penn may let kids come back and I am not sure what is happening with Cornell and Brown.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Saw the Penn AD quoted in some article, but not sure exactly what she meant.

Penn has a number of joint degree programs. For instance, Mgmt & Technology where you get an undergrad degree from the Engineering School and an undergrad degree from the Wharton School. Huntsman Int'l Business where you get a B.A from the College, and a B.S from Wharton. Additionally, Engineering students need up to as many as 8 additional classes for their degree than say, a Humanities or Social Science major in the College. Many Engineering students take 5 years to finish. Its very difficult to complete in four. People do it, but its tough. If you get sidetracked along the way even a bit, it can easily bump you into a 5th year.

So, Penn is already set up for undergrads to stay for 5 years as they have several dual-degree programs.

I'm just putting that out there as a possible explanation of what she was referring to.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”