All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:51 pm
holmes435 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:57 pm Coronavirus: China declares dogs are companions and should not be eaten, signalling possible end to brutal meat trade

"Agriculture ministry cites ‘progress of human civilisation and public concern’"

Sadly it took a pandemic for them to change. Culturally we'll have to see how fast things change over there. Sometimes it's quick like with Yao and shark fin soup, other times it's slower than molasses.
china will never change. they have a 100 year plan, and a virus will not change that.
their commodity is people. i would not bet against them.
Did you see the documentary American Factory? You should watch it when you have a chance. I am telling you the Chinese are extreme capitalist.
just pulled it up on netflix. i will check it out when i can. thanks, my man.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:42 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:36 pm Regardless.......even a week later, they dropped the predicktion another 20K :roll:

I am sorry......who made the call to shut everything down? Interstate commerce....you really believe the west virgina liquor stories? Should I load up the truck and boat with booze......bring it to PA? would THAT be illegal?
So your'e shocked that the shutting down the entire country, and social distancing methods are working....and lowering the bad outcomes, causing health officials to reduce their bad forecasts.....

....and "therefore", you think we shouldn't have shut down the entire country, and employed social distancing?

Are you serious with this stuff?
RU absolutely positive that they made predicktions with social distancing, excluded? That 200k dead WITH social distancing? Sloppy updates. Why the March 26th date? Why not just post a new page/report? I wouldn't hire that, would you?

guess you must be the guy that forgot that the plane boats weren't in the harbor b/c of "training exercise".....same "training exercise " on a certain Tuesday, 20 years ago this fall......

Do you need an entire team to throw games? Certainly not to "shave points".
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:51 pm
holmes435 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:57 pm Coronavirus: China declares dogs are companions and should not be eaten, signalling possible end to brutal meat trade

"Agriculture ministry cites ‘progress of human civilisation and public concern’"

Sadly it took a pandemic for them to change. Culturally we'll have to see how fast things change over there. Sometimes it's quick like with Yao and shark fin soup, other times it's slower than molasses.
china will never change. they have a 100 year plan, and a virus will not change that.
their commodity is people. i would not bet against them.
Did you see the documentary American Factory? You should watch it when you have a chance. I am telling you the Chinese are extreme capitalist.
just pulled it up on netflix. i will check it out when i can. thanks, my man.
It’s awful what we have done to the American Worker in the name of maximizing shareholder value. The Chinese are maximizing shareholder value to the nth degree. All in.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm Some view that PA is materially riskier, say between Pittsburg and I81 (say Harrisburg to Chambersburg border area)?
lots of adult shops.....
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

When I was in grad school mid 2000s they were already teaching us that China was coming to eat our lunch like Japan was in the 80s. I've been skeptical largely because I don't believe in their pitch of controlled/modified capitalism, they fundamentally don't have property rights be it IP or tangible assets which reduces liquidity and the velocity of transactions required to be a economic world leader and the lack of transparency throughout the system creates a lack of confidence from the rest of the world required to say "yeah, when times are tough I want that dirt or hold assets in Renimbi/Yuan" or "we should really hold the majority of our reserves for the world on fire rainy day in chinese currency".

But my economics brain, which as we know is far different that business finance, says that this theoretical advantage they have is all driven by population, cheap labor. However intro Macro (refined beyond that level) teaches that there's an optimal mix of means of production including labor, capital, etc. Admittedly I've only watched part of American Factory but I think what we see is that China's supposed population/labor advantage may be overrated as they are leaning to hard on labor and it's not the right mix to be considered optimal. And the downside is when that working age population grays their downside will be a hell of a lot harder. The window isn't huge for them now and I don't see them getting to the right place in time to step on our throats.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm Some view that PA is materially riskier, say between Pittsburg and I81 (say Harrisburg to Chambersburg border area)?
lots of adult shops.....
Lots of truckers. I81 has been a disaster for 20yrs. Had to just run up and back on it in the last month and going back in the next month or so.

If you know that stretch of the country, on the drive back I promise I'm not lying when I tell you I made the whole state, 235mi, in 2.5hrs...880mi in total from Binghamton to Atlanta in 11.25......
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:46 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:36 pm Regardless.......even a week later, they dropped the predicktion another 20K :roll:

I am sorry......who made the call to shut everything down? Interstate commerce....you really believe the west virgina liquor stories? Should I load up the truck and boat with booze......bring it to PA? would THAT be illegal?
So your'e shocked that the shutting down the entire country, and social distancing methods are working....and lowering the bad outcomes, causing health officials to reduce their bad forecasts.....

....and "therefore", you think we shouldn't have shut down the entire country, and employed social distancing?

Ask him to go down to a shelter and glad hand the residents the next few nights.
whom do you think I am handing out free joints too? I am being completly serious. No one around to beg for money.....so....you put 4 and 5 together.
ggait

Post by ggait »

RU absolutely positive that they made predicktions with social distancing, excluded? That 200k dead WITH social distancing? Sloppy updates. Why the March 26th date? Why not just post a new page/report? I wouldn't hire that, would you?
The first major projection was Imperial College. 2.2 million U.S. dead with no SD measures. That projection still stands.

Next major projection was Fauci/Birks. 100-240k dead with full SD. So the difference between no SD and full SD is about 10X.

UW was originally at 93k base case with full SD through May 31. UW is now projecting 60k with full SD through May 31; with a range of 31k low and 127k high. Fauci today endorsed the UW projections.

The only projection that appeared to be low without SD were those two Stanford docs writing in the WSJ the other day. Their 20-40k no SD projection looking pretty bad right now.
Last edited by ggait on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:21 pm

Ask him to go down to a shelter and glad hand the residents the next few nights.
whom do you think I am handing out free joints too? I am being completly serious. No one around to beg for money.....so....you put 4 and 5 together.
Go hang out and have fun.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:20 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 pm
lots of adult shops.....
Lots of truckers. I81 has been a disaster for 20yrs. Had to just run up and back on it in the last month and going back in the next month or so.

If you know that stretch of the country, on the drive back I promise I'm not lying when I tell you I made the whole state, 235mi, in 2.5hrs...880mi in total from Binghamton to Atlanta in 11.25......
I avoid 81 like I avoid Fenway Park. Embarrassed a few friends recently, had no idea Washington had a team, let alone won the boreball all.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:29 pm

Not tonight. raining. I can post a video if you want.....except heading to ACK tomorrow. Hey, THEY have to eat, if you know what I mean.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:19 pm When I was in grad school mid 2000s they were already teaching us that China was coming to eat our lunch like Japan was in the 80s. I've been skeptical largely because I don't believe in their pitch of controlled/modified capitalism, they fundamentally don't have property rights be it IP or tangible assets which reduces liquidity and the velocity of transactions required to be a economic world leader and the lack of transparency throughout the system creates a lack of confidence from the rest of the world required to say "yeah, when times are tough I want that dirt or hold assets in Renimbi/Yuan" or "we should really hold the majority of our reserves for the world on fire rainy day in chinese currency".

But my economics brain, which as we know is far different that business finance, says that this theoretical advantage they have is all driven by population, cheap labor. However intro Macro (refined beyond that level) teaches that there's an optimal mix of means of production including labor, capital, etc. Admittedly I've only watched part of American Factory but I think what we see is that China's supposed population/labor advantage may be overrated as they are leaning to hard on labor and it's not the right mix to be considered optimal. And the downside is when that working age population grays their downside will be a hell of a lot harder. The window isn't huge for them now and I don't see them getting to the right place in time to step on our throats.
They are leaning hard and the Chinese don’t seem to mind. When I saw a mother say she sees her kids a couple of times a year, I thought that’s what you call maximizing shareholder value. I was in that old GM factory. I had an internship and I rotated through there. Picked up a Vette for the General Manager and one of the other interns and I dropped it off at his house. I have no idea how we ended up doing that.

Those GM factories helped built a middle class. Broke the unions, reduced the pay, shipped the jobs overseas to squeeze more and more profit out. US auto got what it deserved. The Japanese took the worst plant in GMs system and turned it into the most efficient. Better execution with the same “lazy American worker”...
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Is there something I am missing here? Are you implying that HOMEless people would have it, say, anymore than that IT sales guy who flew coach home from ........

Or, are you implying that they do not need compassion? Can't buy booze, even though it's open, because NO one will give them money. No one to steal. Why, you see more people at BU now? :roll:

...and last I checked, not one human being has died from overdosing on pot. Can we say that about booze, pain....and all the other miracle mile other drug helpers? (That's an area in boston, charlie baker .....where? )
Last edited by runrussellrun on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:58 pm
I was once a nurse. I have a penis. Testicles.......still lost one U

Joe Walsh.....one of his best songs. Lyrics very fitting.

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Is there something I am missing here? Are you implying that HOMEless people would have it, say, anymore than that IT sales guy who flew coach home from ........

Or, are you implying that they do not need compassion? Can't buy booze, even though it's open, because NO one will give them money. No one to steal. Why, you see more people at BU now? :roll:
No. I am implying that you don’t know who may have it. It’s Roulette. You can play it....as for BU, my cousin’s daughter is a newly minted faculty member there. Tenure tracked. Really proud of her. I look out for her as my cousin passed away before she finished her PhD. She is trying to get herself acclimated but she isn’t a New Englander.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:19 pm When I was in grad school mid 2000s they were already teaching us that China was coming to eat our lunch like Japan was in the 80s. I've been skeptical largely because I don't believe in their pitch of controlled/modified capitalism, they fundamentally don't have property rights be it IP or tangible assets which reduces liquidity and the velocity of transactions required to be a economic world leader and the lack of transparency throughout the system creates a lack of confidence from the rest of the world required to say "yeah, when times are tough I want that dirt or hold assets in Renimbi/Yuan" or "we should really hold the majority of our reserves for the world on fire rainy day in chinese currency".

will take that bet. they have the population under their control.
they have every globally ambitious business in the world drooling at their audience. to the point they're subservient as well.
they don't, and maybe never will, pretend to share real info that doesn't benefit them. including with this virus.
they will lie, cheat, steal, do "bad" trade deals knowing we crave their business. and more disciplined than about everyone.
they have likely 25-100 k covid deaths. they're listed at 3k. every public narrative is the one they want. that's invaluable.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:41 pm

No. I am imply you don’t know who may have it. It’s Roulette. You can play it.
We all probably have it. We all probably have the flu too. Anyone wanna go in on having BOTH tests done at the same time? Annual flu test & V-19. If not, why?

But, so what, you test POSITIVE. with no symptoms. Now what? Seriously, now what? Are we gonna start hearing more thought control; that asymptomatics MAY show signs at a later date....blah blah blah.....need longer than 14 days........not necessarily develop anti-bodies, or enough of them, so you need a boost. a vaccine. OOOPPSS....what's that. the last part IS real. Why, yes it is.

SO WHAT. Hey, if you die, to bad, so sad. At least you're not homeless
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:41 pm

No. I am imply you don’t know who may have it. It’s Roulette. You can play it.
We all probably have it. We all probably have the flu too. Anyone wanna go in on having BOTH tests done at the same time? Annual flu test & V-19. If not, why?

But, so what, you test POSITIVE. with no symptoms. Now what? Seriously, now what? Are we gonna start hearing more thought control; that asymptomatics MAY show signs at a later date....blah blah blah.....need longer than 14 days........not necessarily develop anti-bodies, or enough of them, so you need a boost. a vaccine. OOOPPSS....what's that. the last part IS real. Why, yes it is.

SO WHAT. Hey, if you die, to bad, so sad. At least you're not homeless
Nobody can tell you what to believe. Take care.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:48 pm

will take that bet. they have the population under their control.
they have every globally ambitious business in the world drooling at their audience. to the point they're subservient as well.
they don't, and maybe never will, pretend to share real info that doesn't benefit them. including with this virus.
they will lie, cheat, steal, do "bad" trade deals knowing we crave their business. and more disciplined than about everyone.
they have likely 25-100 k covid deaths. they're listed at 3k. every public narrative is the one they want. that's invaluable.
What bet, that they will become the dominant economic power in the world and the reserve currency? I don't bet unless it's for entertainment, so when I hit a casino I often will divert off "rule" at Blackjack table a bit partly because the rule only works if one is doing a 72hr marathon session, especially with 4-8 decks, and partly to "f" with others at a table who don't have etiquette and the gall to look in my pocket. Also prefer rolling bones and being circled by a mix of hotties and thirsty men the rare occasion I get on a roll.

But, if you want to do a steak dinner for what, 2030? I mean you're not telling me you think they're going to shank us and run the prison in the next few years are you? I feel pretty good about my position. Obviously a lot can change over time, especially over my lifetime but when I look at demographics and where we are today relatively speaking I feel pretty good in my position. Keep in mind I don't say this in an arrogant way, I just think it takes the right mix, including demographics, amongst other things to get to king of the ring and don't see it there. I do think each and every one of us should be waking up every day thinking about earning our keep in whatever endeavors, always be paranoid and alert to all competition and not believe the hype. Nothing is a given, but I expect our Rome is burning moment to come from somewhere we don't totally see.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”