Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lax3

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by Lax3 »

As of April 8th, am I correct that the Ivies are not giving the fifth year and that the only way for players who are currently enrolled to play for their team next year is to leave school and re-enroll next spring? Is that accurate?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Lax3 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:56 am As of April 8th, am I correct that the Ivies are not giving the fifth year and that the only way for players who are currently enrolled to play for their team next year is to leave school and re-enroll next spring? Is that accurate?
Yes. That would be the only way. Withdraw and return policies are already on the books. The question may be 1) if schools will extend the deadline to withdraw or if it has lapsed or 2) whether the player’s request is justified.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 am
Lax3 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:56 am As of April 8th, am I correct that the Ivies are not giving the fifth year and that the only way for players who are currently enrolled to play for their team next year is to leave school and re-enroll next spring? Is that accurate?
Yes. That would be the only way. Withdraw and return policies are already on the books. The question may be 1) if schools will extend the deadline to withdraw or if it has lapsed or 2) whether the player’s request is justified.
Given the timing, with less than one month left in the school year, I am hard pressed to believe that the Ivies are going to allow too many kids to exercise this option. For right or wrong, just not the way that the Ivies look at sports. There are going to be some seriously happy programs out there picking up the likes of Sowers, Teat, Gaudet, Morrill and others for a year, assuming those kids opt to take that extra year as part of a graduate program somewhere else!
Typical Lax Dad

Lax3 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:16 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 am
Given the timing, with less than one month left in the school year, I am hard pressed to believe that the Ivies are going to allow too many kids to exercise this option. For right or wrong, just not the way that the Ivies look at sports. There are going to be some seriously happy programs out there picking up the likes of Sowers, Teat, Gaudet, Morrill and others for a year, assuming those kids opt to take that extra year as part of a graduate program somewhere else!
Read the withdrawal policies. They all differ. Cornell has the latest Withdrawal date followed by Princeton. Princeton’s second semester starts later than everyone else’s. I believe the student had up until the 9th week of classes which would be the end of the first or second week of April, depending on how Spring Break is handled. Time will tell. It won’t be an accommodation made for sports. Unless schools provided more latitude on the withdrawal date. Brown’s withdrawal date is mid-semester.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Was thinking the same even after reading some withdrawal policies at Yale that may be loopholes. Allowing withdrawals so late in semester would be bad form however argued.

Pockets of disarray are a shame and could have been avoided. NCAA can be authoritarian but acted here somewhat as a federalist entity that allows members to make independent decisions.They should have expected policy differences coming from various conferences and colleges within. Stated this opinion before , imo NCAA should have made a absolute edict and called it a season so all could move on rather than create inequities and gimmicks.

Now, additional financial inequities are introduced in decisions to return or not. . Much less burdensome to play a fifth year at a in state public than a private , much easier for an affluent family to foot the additional year, much easier for the well to do to send their recruited kid to a prep school to delay joining upperclass backlogs.
Typical Lax Dad

stupefied wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:50 am Was thinking the same even after reading some withdrawal policies at Yale that may be loopholes. Allowing withdrawals so late in semester would be bad form however argued.

Pockets of disarray are a shame and could have been avoided. NCAA can be authoritarian but acted here somewhat as a federalist entity that allows members to make independent decisions.They should have expected policy differences coming from various conferences and colleges within. Stated this opinion before , imo NCAA should have made a absolute edict and called it a season so all could move on rather than create inequities and gimmicks.

Now, additional financial inequities are introduced in decisions to return or not. . Much less burdensome to play a fifth year at a in state public than a private , much easier for an affluent family to foot the additional year, much easier for the well to do to send their recruited kid to a prep school to delay joining upperclass backlogs.
Penn’s drop deadline is 10 weeks into the semester. 5% of the students take a year of absence. A few more spring athletes may not make much of a difference given the circumstances.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Ivy's have clarified that spring student athletes will not receive an additional year of eligibility in the Ivy League. Only options were outside of the IL, either (1) grad year or (2) transfer portal (as an undergrad).
Typical Lax Dad

ctbagataway wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:30 pm Ivy's have clarified that spring student athletes will not receive an additional year of eligibility in the Ivy League. Only options were outside of the IL, either (1) grad year or (2) transfer portal (as an undergrad).
Yep. Decided to move beyond the policy. Went with the spirit of the rule.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

If I was the parent of a Sr or Jr I would say you’re getting your degree. Freshman/sophomores they have a little more time to decide what they want to do.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

BREAKING: @PUTigers will not grant student-athletes who withdraw this spring the necessary waivers to compete at Princeton next year, Athletic Director Mollie Marcoux announced in a Thursday email to spring sport athletes.

https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/artic ... g-athletes
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Princeton will not grant an extra year to athletes who withdraw to preserve their final year of eligibility.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/04/09/r ... -withdraw/
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

Pathetic. Here is an email I wrote to the PU AD last week. Guess it fell on deaf ears. A sad, sad day to be a Princeton alum.

Ms. Marcoux-Samaan,

My name is X. I was a Princeton lacrosse athlete and graduated in X. I am writing because I feel adamantly that the current spring senior athletes are being treated extremely unfairly within the context of a once in a lifetime force majeure situation with COVID-19.

It has come to the attention of myself and my fellow alums that the Ivy League will not allow 5th year exemptions. Furthermore, I have heard that the League is attempting to block withdrawal students from re-enrolling and playing next spring. The former is understandable, the latter is completely wrong.

Bulleted below are my thoughts on the withdraw and re-enroll scenario:

How do you differentiate between students who take a year off for mental/physical health, travel, work opportunities and athletes? Stymying athletes' returns would be prejudicial.

The argument that this will create an untenable situation of an extra ~150 students needing classes, room and board, etc. is completely flawed. This applies to spring athletes. Let's say there are 10 spring sports total. 3 athletes want to return per sport. That is 30 athletes. Not all sports will even have students wanting to return. This is the same as having a high yield with admissions and having to account for a few extra students.

There is precedent. Teammates of mine have taken a year off due to injury, and returned. How can we change the rules with a pandemic being the most understandable, empathetic situation we can consider?

My thoughts on principle:
What the Ivy League, and Princeton, are attempting to do with these student athletes is wrong, period. The League believes itself to be the moral high ground for college athletics and scholarship. Denying these student athletes an opportunity to play another season is wrong and immoral. Hiding behind the veneer of academic integrity and ignoring the logical, correct solution is obtuse and in bad spirit. Princeton and the Ivy League are supposed to stand for excellence, not callousness.

PU recently rebranded its motto to “In the Nation’s Service and the Service of Humanity”. How is this kind of decision making serving anyone? This decision is antithetical to the ethos of that statement. This decision is cowardly.

We have the best and brightest minds at Princeton. In the annals of our halls we've had Albert Einstein, Toni Morrison, and John McPhee. You're telling me we can't be creative and find a solution for an extra few student athletes?

What the League and Princeton are doing is unjust. The statement reads "we don't care about student athletes". Are we too draconian to have compassion during this crisis and do the right thing? What kind of message is that?

I am writing not to rebuke. I am writing to implore. I implore you and your fellow leaders to reconsider what's right. Often times doing the right thing is hard. This is not. Please rise to the occasion. Our student athletes, school and society deserve a better example than prestigious schools wilting under the pressure they perceive. This is vainglory, not purity.

In times of hardship we are as good as our willingness to help others. The proposed measures are the opposite of that. Please reconsider.

Regards,
X
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Yale is following the same path as Princeton
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

DA/PU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:34 pm Pathetic. Here is an email I wrote to the PU AD last week. Guess it fell on deaf ears. A sad, sad day to be a Princeton alum.
If this was up to the AD, she would have agreed 100% with you. The AD had nothing to do with this decision. Decisions like this are made at the top.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Isn't the PTon ad the same one that caused Tierney to bounce to Denver by dramatically changing athletic operations and management (and support)?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:09 pm Isn't the PTon ad the same one that caused Tierney to bounce to Denver by dramatically changing athletic operations and management (and support)?
No. Different AD. But administration clearly isn't supporting the program the way they did T in the heyday. Big loss for T was our longtime admissions director, Fred Hargadon, who was a huge champion of lacrosse.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

thetruth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:02 pm
DA/PU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:34 pm Pathetic. Here is an email I wrote to the PU AD last week. Guess it fell on deaf ears. A sad, sad day to be a Princeton alum.
If this was up to the AD, she would have agreed 100% with you. The AD had nothing to do with this decision. Decisions like this are made at the top.
That may be. But in that case the email should come from the top.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Yup. The AD is the wrong person. These decisions are made by the 8 presidents.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

DA/PU wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:13 pm
That may be. But in that case the email should come from the top.
The letter was good. That last statement...you know better than that...
Typical Lax Dad

AreaLax wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:42 pm Yale is following the same path as Princeton
I heard Harvard as well but I have not heard about Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth or Penn. I was hoping each school would follow their existing guidelines but some withdrawal policies are more stringent than others. My guess is that this will be a league wide decision but I may be wrong.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”