All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25 pm he's arrogant as hell.
and right about what, exactly? he has lots to say about tons of topics, but yet not until march 8 was he an expert on the corona virus.

the world already was aware and in camps of thought by then. and we were well down the road. i think he reads a lot, and believes that's wisdom.
Take exception with his opinions.

But why the personal attacks?
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:38 pm
jhu93 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 pm
jhu93 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 pm Yikes, welcome back to the forum 93.
Heck of an opening salvo...you sure this isn't another alias and you've been here all along?
Sorry, he is an arrogant know it all jerk and he needs to be called out on it. It should happen more often honestly.
On this particular topic, he's been way, way more correct than not.
I wish he wasn't, but unfortunately he's been right on point at each stage.
And unfortunately, he's right about the 'return to normal' requirements. It's going to be much harder and much longer than we'd like, and made much worse and longer if we foul it up by loosening up too soon.

Again, wish he wasn't right.

Is your argument more about JHU lax, perhaps?
I don't know the history on that one.

And seriously, I think we'd all be better off without the personal attacks poster v poster.
Goes all directions.

BTW, I think we're all a bit "arrogant" to think that anyone is actually interested in what we have to say on these topics.
But we type away nevertheless! ;)
The issue in this instance is not whether he is right or wrong, instead it is his condescending, arrogrant attitude that jumps off the page everytime he gives his opinion. I can deal with differing points of view, and in most cases welcome them, but what I can not stomach is arrogance. I also believe that his attitude is a poor reflection on JHU and its alumni, it just perpetuates the stereotype that Hopkins graduates are arrogant egg heads. In other words, there are ways to get your point across without coming off as a total jerk, whether one is commenting on politics, lacrosse, the weather or anything else that pops into his or her head.
I takes two to tangle. You might want to consider that 6ft is also a Hopkins alum.
God ... they really do loosen admission standards for lax players!

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:33 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:13 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:56 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:25 pm That is the common fallacy ... the notion that we can open up the economy before we have brought the pandemic under control ... not an end, but control.
You must have missed dozens of posts from me, starting three+ weeks ago.

I know this better than just about anyone, not because I'm sharp....simply a function of my vocation.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm Our economy is driven mostly by consumer spending, you know that better than most. People will not flock to movie theaters, restaurants, and stadiums while hundreds of Americans are still dying from the novel coronavirus each day. The only way to open this economy is to get the pandemic under control. That is a prerequisite, not a competing objective, to opening up the economy.
I understand. Your complaints have been about not shutting everything down fast enough. The list of Governors who, in my opinion, dropped the ball on this is long, and bipartisan.

But we don't have to worry about denying people the right to put food on the table. They do. So making that call is a tough one for a leader.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm I don’t know about you, but I’m not nearly as secure about my job as I was last December
Very much so. But you said you have a year's worth of cash? I'd be amazed if 1% of America workers could make that claim. If I HAD TO, I'm sure I cold last far longer than that...but that would require laying off all my employees. I can make the and bottle the spirits by myself if I HAD TO. I've done it before, and I can do it again. But there's NO WAY I would lay off a single one of my employees.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm The economy will not come back quickly. Consumers and companies will hoard cash (if they have any to hoard). Millions of individuals and businesses will emerge with more debt. People will remain skittish about going out until a vaccine comes around. From what I have read, there is a growing consensus that the recovery will be slow.
That's 1000% true, unless they more than double the bailout. Trump doesn't want to arrive at an election with 15%+ unemployment. So my opinion is, he gets off his *ss and increases the bailouts and efficiency of the bailouts in the coming months.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm And I’m still afraid. Don’t know what your secret is.
A full decade plus of being the lowest paid employee on the payroll tends to toughen you up. I wish you and your family well!
Yeah, you too!

Some ideas floated around:

Federal government should consider paying everyone’s rent and mortgage for four months up to $2,000 per month. (My numbers, but not the idea.)

Double the direct payments, and include all the gig workers and all undocumented individuals currently residing in the U.S. (info can’t be used for immigration actions).

Eliminate all interest on all federal student loans (forever). Defer payments through the end of the year.

Get everyone without health insurance on Medicaid or Obamacare (with 100% subsidy if need be).

Make credit card payments voluntary for four months, with no interest accruing during that time.

Five hundred billion in interest free loans to small businesses, with start of payment deferred for one year.

DocBarrister
Total dependency. Communism. Totalitarianism for 320 million to save 200 thousand octogenarians. Fk that.
Hey, lug nut ...

... 200,000 octogenarians would like a word with you in the alley ....

DocBarrister :?
320 million free americans would like a word with you you pretentious stick.
both lug nuts and pretentious jerks should chill out on the personal attacks, please.

Disagree, vehemently, but the personal insults add nothing.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 pm Yikes, welcome back to the forum 93.
Heck of an opening salvo...you sure this isn't another alias and you've been here all along?
Sorry, he is an arrogant know it all jerk and he needs to be called out on it. It should happen more often honestly.
And unfortunately, he's right about the 'return to normal' requirements. It's going to be much harder and much longer than we'd like, and made much worse and longer if we foul it up by loosening up too soon.

And seriously, I think we'd all be better off without the personal attacks poster v poster.
Goes all directions.

BTW, I think we're all a bit "arrogant" to think that anyone is actually interested in what we have to say on these topics.
The issue in this instance is not whether he is right or wrong, instead it is his condescending, arrogrant attitude that jumps off the page everytime he gives his opinion. I can deal with differing points of view, and in most cases welcome them, but what I can not stomach is arrogance. I also believe that his attitude is a poor reflection on JHU and its alumni, it just perpetuates the stereotype that Hopkins graduates are arrogant egg heads. In other words, there are ways to get your point across without coming off as a total jerk, whether one is commenting on politics, lacrosse, the weather or anything else that pops into his or her head.
I takes two to tangle. You might want to consider that 6ft is also a Hopkins alum.
I was unaware of that connection...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:33 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:13 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:56 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:25 pm That is the common fallacy ... the notion that we can open up the economy before we have brought the pandemic under control ... not an end, but control.
You must have missed dozens of posts from me, starting three+ weeks ago.

I know this better than just about anyone, not because I'm sharp....simply a function of my vocation.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm Our economy is driven mostly by consumer spending, you know that better than most. People will not flock to movie theaters, restaurants, and stadiums while hundreds of Americans are still dying from the novel coronavirus each day. The only way to open this economy is to get the pandemic under control. That is a prerequisite, not a competing objective, to opening up the economy.
I understand. Your complaints have been about not shutting everything down fast enough. The list of Governors who, in my opinion, dropped the ball on this is long, and bipartisan.

But we don't have to worry about denying people the right to put food on the table. They do. So making that call is a tough one for a leader.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm I don’t know about you, but I’m not nearly as secure about my job as I was last December
Very much so. But you said you have a year's worth of cash? I'd be amazed if 1% of America workers could make that claim. If I HAD TO, I'm sure I cold last far longer than that...but that would require laying off all my employees. I can make the and bottle the spirits by myself if I HAD TO. I've done it before, and I can do it again. But there's NO WAY I would lay off a single one of my employees.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm The economy will not come back quickly. Consumers and companies will hoard cash (if they have any to hoard). Millions of individuals and businesses will emerge with more debt. People will remain skittish about going out until a vaccine comes around. From what I have read, there is a growing consensus that the recovery will be slow.
That's 1000% true, unless they more than double the bailout. Trump doesn't want to arrive at an election with 15%+ unemployment. So my opinion is, he gets off his *ss and increases the bailouts and efficiency of the bailouts in the coming months.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm And I’m still afraid. Don’t know what your secret is.
A full decade plus of being the lowest paid employee on the payroll tends to toughen you up. I wish you and your family well!
Yeah, you too!

Some ideas floated around:

Federal government should consider paying everyone’s rent and mortgage for four months up to $2,000 per month. (My numbers, but not the idea.)

Double the direct payments, and include all the gig workers and all undocumented individuals currently residing in the U.S. (info can’t be used for immigration actions).

Eliminate all interest on all federal student loans (forever). Defer payments through the end of the year.

Get everyone without health insurance on Medicaid or Obamacare (with 100% subsidy if need be).

Make credit card payments voluntary for four months, with no interest accruing during that time.

Five hundred billion in interest free loans to small businesses, with start of payment deferred for one year.

DocBarrister
Total dependency. Communism. Totalitarianism for 320 million to save 200 thousand octogenarians. Fk that.
Hey, lug nut ...

... 200,000 octogenarians would like a word with you in the alley ....

DocBarrister :?
320 million free americans would like a word with you you pretentious stick.
Don’t you think discounting the lives of 200,000 people is a little pretentious?

Anyway, would be happy to schedule a teleconference. I will circulate a dial-in number and passcode. You can begin the call be explaining why you think 200,000 Americans are expendable.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 pm

Goes all directions.

I was unaware of that connection...
Well, there are certain things we don’t want to publicize. I’m sure you understand.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:43 pm
and right about what, exactly? he has lots to say about tons of topics, but yet not until march 8 was he an expert on the corona virus.

the world already was aware and in camps of thought by then. and we were well down the road. i think he reads a lot, and believes that's wisdom.

you're welcome to your opinion. i am fine and good with healthy debate. though i question your reading comprehension if you don't recognize what he does with about every single poster that doesn't fall in line with him.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm South Korea, which is even more pro-big business than the United States, also worships science and innovation.

This is markedly different from Donald Trump and his supporters, who seem to worship instead their own ignorance, stupidity, racism, bigotry, and misogyny.

STUPID KILLS.

DocBarrister
this is just one quote. in just the last 48-72 hours, he has repeatedly tossed names around like an 8 year old. but to label folks (he has labeled me in this group) as racist, misogynist, etc. -- never in a million years would i put that on someone in this way and out of nowhere.... but there he is. he thinks he can say anything to people because he's on a message board.

guarantee he would never say something like that to my face, and this guarantees he never played lacrosse.
so now i'll call him a name... he's a coward.

THAT and all his other b.s. is what set me off. and yet i thought my reaction was rather reserved. compared to what it could've been. feel free to disagree.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:13 am

you're welcome to your opinion. i am fine and good with healthy debate. though i question your reading comprehension if you don't recognize what he does with about every single poster that doesn't fall in line with him.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm South Korea, which is even more pro-big business than the United States, also worships science and innovation.

This is markedly different from Donald Trump and his supporters, who seem to worship instead their own ignorance, stupidity, racism, bigotry, and misogyny.

STUPID KILLS.

DocBarrister
this is just one quote. in just the last 48-72 hours, he has repeatedly tossed names around like an 8 year old. but to label folks (he has labeled me in this group) as racist, misogynist, etc. -- never in a million years would i put that on someone in this way and out of nowhere.... but there he is. he thinks he can say anything to people because he's on a message board.

guarantee he would never say something like that to my face, and this guarantees he never played lacrosse.

THAT and all his other b.s. is what set me off. and yet i thought my reaction was rather reserved. compared to what it could've been. feel free to disagree.
I guess what you want me to comprehend in my reading is that when he says "Donald Trump and his supporters" he means you specifically?

I do think it would be more reasonable to say "Donald Trump and some of his supporters" are.. XYZ and ABC.

I've likewise objected when posters say something sweeping about "Republicans", of which I'm still one, as if everyone's the same.

But every post about Donald Trump and his supporters need not be read as personally directed...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:13 am

STUPID KILLS.

DocBarrister

Just look at the title of this thread. I have repeatedly asked that it be changed. Even when the admin changed it, it was changed back. This despite the numerous articles posted about rising hate crimes against Asian Americans.

Take DMac’s post mimicking broken English and making jokes about Koreans eating dogs. That’s the kind of garbage that I have to deal with around here.

I doubt many of you would take that kind of trash for long. Problem with some of you is you don’t know how to take what you dish out.

And yeah, if you told me something offensive or ignorant or untruthful to me in person, I would call you out on that right to your face. That’s kinda what I do for a living.

DocB
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

"some of you".
yeah, no way you would.
just who the f**k do you think you are to label like that?

YOU ARE A COWARD.

edit: f**k was changed in auto editing so the stars were put in there instead.

editx2: as far as dishing out, you have been the provocateur in about every instance of dealing with me. escalating. your poor me bullsh*t falls on deaf ears.
Last edited by wgdsr on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The US death rate is not rolling off the way folks were hoping. Still climbing. Nearly 30K total deaths, 15K up and 15K down.
US Deaths 4-3-20.jpg
US Deaths 4-3-20.jpg (157.6 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

You're beyond full of schidt, Doc. wgdsr is right. The only thing I've ever done with you is throw the schidt back in your face that you throw at damn near every person here. Everyone who owns a gun is a barbaric member of the Satanic Gun Club. You can call us all racists and bigots and hold us accountable for every gun death in the country but if I put a dog meat recipe out there, I'm out of line. I told you many years ago you are the biggest racist on LaxPower. I haven't changed my mind. You're a very nasty person Doc....be sure to tell me all about the screen persona now, cuz that's not really you, right?
My father was a Korean War veteran. Wasn't there long, got shot and they sent him home. 3rd Purple Heart (2 in WW II). Just some needless, incidental information there just for the hell of it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

[youtube][/youtube]
DMac wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:47 am You're beyond full of schidt, Doc. wgdsr is right. The only thing I've ever done with you is throw the schidt back in your face that you throw at damn near every person here. Everyone who owns a gun is a barbaric member of the Satanic Gun Club. You can call us all racists and bigots and hold us accountable for every gun death in the country but if I put a dog meat recipe out there, I'm out of line. I told you many years ago you are the biggest racist on LaxPower. I haven't changed my mind. You're a very nasty person Doc....be sure to tell me all about the screen persona now, cuz that's not really you, right?
My father was a Korean War veteran. Wasn't there long, got shot and they sent him home. 3rd Purple Heart (2 in WW II). Just some needless, incidental information there just for the hell of it.
Well, thank you for your father’s service. He was among those who helped some (but not all) of my family to survive the war.

Still doesn’t excuse racist dog meat jokes in the 21st century.

By the way, are you willing to volunteer for 6ft’s elite volunteer corps of 200,000 octogenarians? Heard it’s a peaceful gig with hardly anything to do. ;)

DocB
Last edited by DocBarrister on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 am "some of you".
yeah, no way you would.

YOU ARE A COWARD.

editx2: as far as dishing out, you have been the provocateur in about every instance of dealing with me. escalating. your poor me bullsh*t falls on deaf ears.
It is just not worth my time dealing with you. It really isn’t.

You can pm me if you want. I’ll consider responding if you’re civil.

DocB
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

But there are excuses for your constant racist remarks.
Got it.
Your YouTube video didn't post.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:12 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 am "some of you".
yeah, no way you would.

YOU ARE A COWARD.

It is just not worth my time dealing with you. It really isn’t.

You can pm me if you want. I’ll consider responding if you’re civil.

DocB
if I'M civil? i have tried to be in discussions with you, and it has instantly turned into disrespectful name calling and vitriol from you. and you don't ever even seem to understand my position. i will never pm you ever. consider responding? you are the most condescending person i may have ever come across.

you can't be civil. you're too wound up. don't really care the reason. again, "not worth my time"... reminder -- that was 2nd grade. you should really take stock in yourself.

calling posters that you have disagreements with on grown up topics racists is lazy and a bunch of other things. you got a problem with someone specifically, take that on. or just keep being "doc barrister".
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm Little something for Old Salt and L&M....

Got a nice thank you from a group working to get Covid-supplies including our hand sanitizer and PPE to rural Colorado hospitals, etc.

We are working with the USAF Civil Air Patrol and Flight forLife West to distribute products to remote parts of the state quickly.

Pretty crazy that they're using air assets to distribute hand sanitizer!!
That's great. The Civil Air Patrol is always looking for a helpful mission to perform.
I hope the USAF is giving then gas money.
DocBarrister

6ftstick to Octogenarians: Drop Dead

Post by DocBarrister »

The true irony of this post? It reflects a utilitarian view of the world where certain people (octogenarians) are viewed as worth sacrificing for the greater good.

In the real word, what were the most prominent utilitarian societies? That would be the communist, totalitarian regimes in Stalin’s USSR and Mao’s China. In those societies, many vulnerable individuals were indeed sacrificed for the purported “greater good” (in truth, for the elite oligarchs).

Now, to be fair, public health policies are often derived from utilitarian concepts (e.g., mandatory vaccinations). This is very different from medicine, which is focused on protecting and treating individual patients.

Still, the irony here is amusing. While condemning communism and totalitarianism, 6ftstick promoted utilitarianism ... the conceptual foundation of ... yep, communism and totalitarianism.

Oh, the irony.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:06 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:58 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:34 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:41 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:36 pm
I agree that SD needs to go through end of April. But we should be testing now to get people to start thinking of May 1 as 'back to work', which relaly will be May 4th.
Pete -- agree that it is all about when the new tools are going to be available.

Without scalpels, you are stuck using a chainsaw. Assume everyone is infected. So isolate 100% of the people.

With scalpels, you can isolate the 5% or less who need to be isolated. And the 95% can mostly go back to the new normal. TBD if we get the tools by May 1, June 1, July 1...

What do y'all think the new normal is going to be? My prediction:

1. Masks and gloves when out in public.
2. Thermometer scans when entering buildings or stores.
3. Restaurants open but with the tables spaced widely apart.
4. No big public events with several thousand people attending for the rest of 2020. The NFL season will be played, but just on TV with empty stands.

I think that is fairly optimistic. Could be more restricted than that -- like Pete's Scarlet C badges.

Way too pessimistic. You boys don't appreciate the human brain in spite of thousands of years of evidence. When challenged, the human mind thinks of things you never thought could occur.

Some guy right now has already figured this out...we just haven't read about it yet.
I like the temperature scan...could be new SOP for businesses. Everyone is scanned when entering their workplace (temp scanning might be done automatically as you pass through a doorway similar to security scan booths in airports). If fever is detected, boom, you're tested immediately. Of course the testing efficiencies have a long way to go before this would be reality.
does this apply to workplaces that are outdoors? Job site porta potties. Gosh....it's like you (collective ) never did NOTHING with your hands, except play with your stick (s) . Sure.......EVErYONE works in an office building .
Those places are still, and have been working for the most part.
Working if the underlying project is deemed to be essential. What is considered essential may vary from state to state. As I mentioned friends run a company either hundreds of construction / development projects across the country.... some are progressing and some are on hold. He didn’t have the drill down to give the % break down......he definitely didn’t define it as “for the most part our crews are all working”.
The emphasis is returning back.....with "safeguards" in place. That $500 hour crane.......you think happy thoughts while the crew is busy swabbing noses or throats b/c of a HIGH temp? Not to worry, the crane operator has a fever too....but shes wearing a mask......

We are worried about death......yet alcohol stores are deemed e$$ential ?

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
ggait

Post by ggait »

Problem is that it would be more than 200k 80 year olds.

There’s probably a 10X difference between full SD and no SD. So if we are trending to 60k with SD, then we would be looking at 500k+ grandparents leaving the house. Maybe more.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.

Return to “POLITICS”