All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

a fan

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:25 pm That is the common fallacy ... the notion that we can open up the economy before we have brought the pandemic under control ... not an end, but control.
You must have missed dozens of posts from me, starting three+ weeks ago.

I know this better than just about anyone, not because I'm sharp....simply a function of my vocation.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm Our economy is driven mostly by consumer spending, you know that better than most. People will not flock to movie theaters, restaurants, and stadiums while hundreds of Americans are still dying from the novel coronavirus each day. The only way to open this economy is to get the pandemic under control. That is a prerequisite, not a competing objective, to opening up the economy.
I understand. Your complaints have been about not shutting everything down fast enough. The list of Governors who, in my opinion, dropped the ball on this is long, and bipartisan.

But we don't have to worry about denying people the right to put food on the table. They do. So making that call is a tough one for a leader.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm I don’t know about you, but I’m not nearly as secure about my job as I was last December
Very much so. But you said you have a year's worth of cash? I'd be amazed if 1% of America workers could make that claim. If I HAD TO, I'm sure I cold last far longer than that...but that would require laying off all my employees. I can make the and bottle the spirits by myself if I HAD TO. I've done it before, and I can do it again. But there's NO WAY I would lay off a single one of my employees.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm The economy will not come back quickly. Consumers and companies will hoard cash (if they have any to hoard). Millions of individuals and businesses will emerge with more debt. People will remain skittish about going out until a vaccine comes around. From what I have read, there is a growing consensus that the recovery will be slow.
That's 1000% true, unless they more than double the bailout. Trump doesn't want to arrive at an election with 15%+ unemployment. So my opinion is, he gets off his *ss and increases the bailouts and efficiency of the bailouts in the coming months.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm And I’m still afraid. Don’t know what your secret is.
A full decade plus of being the lowest paid employee on the payroll tends to toughen you up. I wish you and your family well!

-----addendum. But I'm scared, too. And scared for my fellow Americans. Not just of the virus...but financial ruin. Congress needs to fix this.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:56 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:25 pm That is the common fallacy ... the notion that we can open up the economy before we have brought the pandemic under control ... not an end, but control.

I know this better than just about anyone, not because I'm sharp....simply a function of my vocation.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm Our economy is driven mostly by consumer spending, you know that better than most. People will not flock to movie theaters, restaurants, and stadiums while hundreds of Americans are still dying from the novel coronavirus each day. The only way to open this economy is to get the pandemic under control. That is a prerequisite, not a competing objective, to opening up the economy.
I understand. Your complaints have been about not shutting everything down fast enough. The list of Governors who, in my opinion, dropped the ball on this is long, and bipartisan.

But we don't have to worry about denying people the right to put food on the table. They do. So making that call is a tough one for a leader.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm I don’t know about you, but I’m not nearly as secure about my job as I was last December
Very much so. But you said you have a year's worth of cash? I'd be amazed if 1% of America workers could make that claim. If I HAD TO, I'm sure I cold last far longer than that...but that would require laying off all my employees. I can make the and bottle the spirits by myself if I HAD TO. I've done it before, and I can do it again. But there's NO WAY I would lay off a single one of my employees.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm The economy will not come back quickly. Consumers and companies will hoard cash (if they have any to hoard). Millions of individuals and businesses will emerge with more debt. People will remain skittish about going out until a vaccine comes around. From what I have read, there is a growing consensus that the recovery will be slow.
That's 1000% true, unless they more than double the bailout. Trump doesn't want to arrive at an election with 15%+ unemployment. So my opinion is, he gets off his *ss and increases the bailouts and efficiency of the bailouts in the coming months.
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm And I’m still afraid. Don’t know what your secret is.
A full decade plus of being the lowest paid employee on the payroll tends to toughen you up. I wish you and your family well!
Yeah, you too!

Some ideas floated around:

Federal government should consider paying everyone’s rent and mortgage for four months up to $2,000 per month. (My numbers, but not the idea.)

Double the direct payments, and include all the gig workers and all undocumented individuals currently residing in the U.S. (info can’t be used for immigration actions).

Eliminate all interest on all federal student loans (forever). Defer payments through the end of the year.

Get everyone without health insurance on Medicaid or Obamacare (with 100% subsidy if need be).

Make credit card payments voluntary for four months, with no interest accruing during that time.

Five hundred billion in interest free loans to small businesses, with start of payment deferred for one year.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:13 pm

Yeah, you too!

Federal government should consider paying everyone’s rent and mortgage for four months up to $2,000 per month. (My numbers, but not the idea.)

Double the direct payments, and include all the gig workers and all undocumented individuals currently residing in the U.S. (info can’t be used for immigration actions).

Eliminate all interest on all federal student loans (forever). Defer payments through the end of the year.

Get everyone without health insurance on Medicaid or Obamacare (with 100% subsidy if need be).

Make credit card payments voluntary for four months, with no interest accruing during that time.

Five hundred billion in interest free loans to small businesses, with start of payment deferred for one year.

DocBarrister
Total dependency. Communism. Totalitarianism for 320 million to save 200 thousand octogenarians. Fk that.
youthathletics

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:06 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:58 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:34 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:41 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:36 pm
I agree that SD needs to go through end of April. But we should be testing now to get people to start thinking of May 1 as 'back to work', which relaly will be May 4th.
Pete -- agree that it is all about when the new tools are going to be available.

Without scalpels, you are stuck using a chainsaw. Assume everyone is infected. So isolate 100% of the people.

With scalpels, you can isolate the 5% or less who need to be isolated. And the 95% can mostly go back to the new normal. TBD if we get the tools by May 1, June 1, July 1...

What do y'all think the new normal is going to be? My prediction:

1. Masks and gloves when out in public.
2. Thermometer scans when entering buildings or stores.
3. Restaurants open but with the tables spaced widely apart.
4. No big public events with several thousand people attending for the rest of 2020. The NFL season will be played, but just on TV with empty stands.

I think that is fairly optimistic. Could be more restricted than that -- like Pete's Scarlet C badges.

Way too pessimistic. You boys don't appreciate the human brain in spite of thousands of years of evidence. When challenged, the human mind thinks of things you never thought could occur.

Some guy right now has already figured this out...we just haven't read about it yet.
I like the temperature scan...could be new SOP for businesses. Everyone is scanned when entering their workplace (temp scanning might be done automatically as you pass through a doorway similar to security scan booths in airports). If fever is detected, boom, you're tested immediately. Of course the testing efficiencies have a long way to go before this would be reality.
does this apply to workplaces that are outdoors? Job site porta potties. Gosh....it's like you (collective ) never did NOTHING with your hands, except play with your stick (s) . Sure.......EVErYONE works in an office building .
Those places are still, and have been working for the most part.
Working if the underlying project is deemed to be essential. What is considered essential may vary from state to state. As I mentioned friends run a company either hundreds of construction / development projects across the country.... some are progressing and some are on hold. He didn’t have the drill down to give the % break down......he definitely didn’t define it as “for the most part our crews are all working”.
Here in the DMV, the only ones we have seen shutdown are either multi family, school renovation, or sites that have known cv19 positives. I can’t recall who you said the company was ‘Emcor’ maybe.... but if they have a “service” element they are essential since they provide services to many places like hospitals ,etc.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 pm

Yeah, you too!

DocBarrister
Total dependency. Communism. Totalitarianism for 320 million to save 200 thousand octogenarians. Fk that.
Hey, lug nut ...

... 200,000 octogenarians would like a word with you in the alley ....

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:06 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:58 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:34 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:41 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:36 pm
I agree that SD needs to go through end of April. But we should be testing now to get people to start thinking of May 1 as 'back to work', which relaly will be May 4th.
Pete -- agree that it is all about when the new tools are going to be available.

Without scalpels, you are stuck using a chainsaw. Assume everyone is infected. So isolate 100% of the people.

With scalpels, you can isolate the 5% or less who need to be isolated. And the 95% can mostly go back to the new normal. TBD if we get the tools by May 1, June 1, July 1...

What do y'all think the new normal is going to be? My prediction:

1. Masks and gloves when out in public.
2. Thermometer scans when entering buildings or stores.
3. Restaurants open but with the tables spaced widely apart.
4. No big public events with several thousand people attending for the rest of 2020. The NFL season will be played, but just on TV with empty stands.

I think that is fairly optimistic. Could be more restricted than that -- like Pete's Scarlet C badges.

Way too pessimistic. You boys don't appreciate the human brain in spite of thousands of years of evidence. When challenged, the human mind thinks of things you never thought could occur.

Some guy right now has already figured this out...we just haven't read about it yet.
I like the temperature scan...could be new SOP for businesses. Everyone is scanned when entering their workplace (temp scanning might be done automatically as you pass through a doorway similar to security scan booths in airports). If fever is detected, boom, you're tested immediately. Of course the testing efficiencies have a long way to go before this would be reality.
does this apply to workplaces that are outdoors? Job site porta potties. Gosh....it's like you (collective ) never did NOTHING with your hands, except play with your stick (s) . Sure.......EVErYONE works in an office building .
Those places are still, and have been working for the most part.
Working if the underlying project is deemed to be essential. What is considered essential may vary from state to state. As I mentioned friends run a company either hundreds of construction / development projects across the country.... some are progressing and some are on hold. He didn’t have the drill down to give the % break down......he definitely didn’t define it as “for the most part our crews are all working”.
Here in the DMV, the only ones we have seen shutdown are either multi family, school renovation, or sites that have known cv19 positives. I can’t recall who you said the company was ‘Emcor’ maybe.... but if they have a “service” element they are essential since they provide services to many places like hospitals ,etc.
Lots of stuff in dc area is likely to be deemed essential... a mix used property in Nashville, not so much. It’s a big country.
“I wish you would!”
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Yeah, you too!

DocBarrister
Yeah. FK communism ... and Medicare and libraries and public education and all that other communist stuff too! And I'm not gonna wear a stinking mask either ...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:25 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:20 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:54 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:46 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:16 pm I'm not in the "Why didn't Trump do more back in Feb" camp, and you know it. He did the best he could, just as Governors in other States who didn't shut down their States.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell if you're overreacting. Full stop. That's the STUPIDITY of the Stanford article. The ONLY way to "test" if we're overreacting is to do nothing, and hope America survives. This is logic that's even worse than Homer Simpson's.

No one, not even Trump, is suggesting we do nothing, and just resign to whatever happens.
This isn’t true.
It's 1,000 percent true. Watch......

Which country overreacted to the Virus?
Regarding your question ... none. No nation “overreacted” to this virus.

Don’t rely on my opinion ... just ask the doctors and nurses in New York City, New Orleans, Paris, and Rome.

DocBarrister
a fan, I don't even understand the question as to "overreacted"...do you think a country "overreacted"??.
What Doc is trying to sell here is that when the a virus comes along, It's impossible to overreact.

So that means, obviously, when Virus X shows up in say, Africa in 2021, Doc is telling us that America should shelter in place nationwide, and do it immediately, on the same day.

This is patently ridiculous, obviously. Like everything in life....moderation is the way to go.
That is not what I have been saying. The U.S. didn’t shelter in place nationwide for H1N1 ... and the response to that virus was appropriate (not perfect) and timely.

What I am saying is that no nation anywhere has “overreacted” to SARS-CoV-2 ... the virus of THIS pandemic.

SARS-CoV-2 is not a virus to be messed with. “[M]oderation” is definitely not the way to go with this virus.

So far, experience with this virus has supported the use of at least two effective strategies, both of which are most appropriately described as EXTREME:

(1) South Korean model: ramp up testing immediately on a massive scale, followed by voluntary social distancing directives.

(2) China model: miss the window for early testing, but then institute delayed testing with draconian isolation measures for infected individuals (no sheltering at home ... separate from family members). Then institute a police- and military-enforced quarantine of entire mega-cities and regions.

Both of those approaches worked. I know which one I prefer.

As for the “moderation” approach? The model for that is Italy, where testing was slow to ramp up, social distancing directives were inconsistently followed, and the Italian government kept sending mixed messages. The result was very disheartening.

Oh, guess what nation’s track Mike Pence said we were following?

Yeah ... you guessed it. You see, a fan, we are following the moderation model, and we’re following Italy’s sad trajectory.

We need to quadruple, quintuple, whatever ... our testing, shut down nationwide, and stay shut down until at least June. Even then, we should only ease restrictions gradually and keep testing on a massive scale. Until a vaccine is ready (at the earliest, first or second quarter of 2021), local and regional breakouts will occur, requiring local and regional shutdowns on an as-needed basis.

Even if a vaccine arrives, it will take at least six months to vaccinate everyone in the world who needs it. Antibody titer tests can be used to identify those who already have immunity, but even some of those may need a booster shot.

If all goes well and smoothly, we can look forward to the “new normal” sometime in the last quarter of 2021. Hopefully, the recession will end in the first or second quarter of 2021. Sadly, somewhere between 50,000 to 100,000 Americans (or more) may have succumbed to the virus by then.

Based on what I have read, that is the optimistic scenario.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn’t going to be over by summer, or even the football season. That’s not my take, that’s what the expert consensus is saying. Things can change (I hope for that, too), but that is the current assessment among the (optimistic) experts.

DocBarrister
Just like your prediction as to the 2016 presidential election, among other things, you are going to be wrong again. Have fun hiding under your bed while the rest of us who are not afraid of our own shadows venture out into the world again.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yikes, welcome back to the forum 93.
Heck of an opening salvo...you sure this isn't another alias and you've been here all along?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_T4
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 pm Yikes, welcome back to the forum 93.
Heck of an opening salvo...you sure this isn't another alias and you've been here all along?
Sorry, he is an arrogant know it all jerk and he needs to be called out on it. It should happen more often honestly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu93 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 pm Yikes, welcome back to the forum 93.
Sorry, he is an arrogant know it all jerk and he needs to be called out on it. It should happen more often honestly.
On this particular topic, he's been way, way more correct than not.
I wish he wasn't, but unfortunately he's been right on point at each stage.
And unfortunately, he's right about the 'return to normal' requirements. It's going to be much harder and much longer than we'd like, and made much worse and longer if we foul it up by loosening up too soon.

Again, wish he wasn't right.

Is your argument more about JHU lax, perhaps?
I don't know the history on that one.

And seriously, I think we'd all be better off without the personal attacks poster v poster.
Goes all directions.

BTW, I think we're all a bit "arrogant" to think that anyone is actually interested in what we have to say on these topics.
But we type away nevertheless! ;)
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:16 pm I'm not in the "Why didn't Trump do more back in Feb" camp, and you know it. He did the best he could, just as Governors in other States who didn't shut down their States.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell if you're overreacting. Full stop. That's the STUPIDITY of the Stanford article. The ONLY way to "test" if we're overreacting is to do nothing, and hope America survives. This is logic that's even worse than Homer Simpson's.

No one, not even Trump, is suggesting we do nothing, and just resign to whatever happens.
Not any longer. But he tried for as long as he could. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

he's arrogant as hell.
and right about what, exactly? he has lots to say about tons of topics, but yet not until march 8 was he an expert on the corona virus.

the world already was aware and in camps of thought by then. and we were well down the road. i think he reads a lot, and believes that's wisdom.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:02 pm

The "just let 'em die" mantra" is likely to be an uphill slog from a PR perspective. Fox News currently tempers the idea some by couching it in a let's get everyone back to work as quickly as possible regardless of the consequences viewpoint. How things are presented is important in winning over the hearts and minds of the body politic..
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 pm

Yeah, you too!

DocBarrister
Hey, lug nut ...

... 200,000 octogenarians would like a word with you in the alley ....

DocBarrister :?
320 million free americans would like a word with you you pretentious prick.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 pm
And unfortunately, he's right about the 'return to normal' requirements. It's going to be much harder and much longer than we'd like, and made much worse and longer if we foul it up by loosening up too soon.

And seriously, I think we'd all be better off without the personal attacks poster v poster.
Goes all directions.

BTW, I think we're all a bit "arrogant" to think that anyone is actually interested in what we have to say on these topics.
The issue in this instance is not whether he is right or wrong, instead it is his condescending, arrogrant attitude that jumps off the page everytime he gives his opinion. I can deal with differing points of view, and in most cases welcome them, but what I can not stomach is arrogance. I also believe that his attitude is a poor reflection on JHU and its alumni, it just perpetuates the stereotype that Hopkins graduates are arrogant egg heads. In other words, there are ways to get your point across without coming off as a total jerk, whether one is commenting on politics, lacrosse, the weather or anything else that pops into his or her head.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

calourie wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:02 pm

The "just let 'em die" mantra" is likely to be an uphill slog from a PR perspective. Fox News currently tempers the idea some by couching it in a let's get everyone back to work as quickly as possible regardless of the consequences viewpoint. How things are presented is important in winning over the hearts and minds of the body politic..
More than a little cognitive dissonance with the nut fringe right with this f**k grandma approach. :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu93 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 pm

Goes all directions.

The issue in this instance is not whether he is right or wrong, instead it is his condescending, arrogrant attitude that jumps off the page everytime he gives his opinion. I can deal with differing points of view, and in most cases welcome them, but what I can not stomach is arrogance. I also believe that his attitude is a poor reflection on JHU and its alumni, it just perpetuates the stereotype that Hopkins graduates are arrogant egg heads. In other words, there are ways to get your point across without coming off as a total jerk, whether one is commenting on politics, lacrosse, the weather or anything else that pops into his or her head.
I takes two to tangle. You might want to consider that 6ft is also a Hopkins alum.

Return to “POLITICS”