All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

Trinity wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 pm https://porter.house.gov/uploadedfiles/ ... but_us.pdf

Rep Katie Porter’s report on our readiness.
Katie Porter -- in your next life, you'll be stranded on a desert island with her.
a fan

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:46 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:16 pm I'm not in the "Why didn't Trump do more back in Feb" camp, and you know it. He did the best he could, just as Governors in other States who didn't shut down their States.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell if you're overreacting. Full stop. That's the STUPIDITY of the Stanford article. The ONLY way to "test" if we're overreacting is to do nothing, and hope America survives. This is logic that's even worse than Homer Simpson's.

No one, not even Trump, is suggesting we do nothing, and just resign to whatever happens.
This isn’t true.
It's 1,000 percent true. Watch......

Which country overreacted to the Virus?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:11 am
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:18 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:58 am (CNN)A majority of Americans -- 55% -- now say the federal government has done a poor job preventing the spread of coronavirus in the United States, up eight points in about a week, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS as the nationwide death toll from the virus rose above 12,000.

Eighty percent feel the worst of the outbreak is yet to come, most (55%) feel President Donald Trump could be doing more to fight the outbreak, and 37% say they have grown more concerned about coronavirus in the last few days, far outpacing the 5% who say their fears have eased recently.

... Looking ahead, 60% of Americans say they would feel uncomfortable returning to their regular routines if social distancing guidelines were lifted after April 30.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/politics ... index.html

That last part is why Trump cannot simply “restart” the economy by lifting restrictions. The pandemic needs to be brought under firm control before the economy recovers. Restoring consumer confidence will take a long time. I don’t believe this recession will suddenly end in the third quarter. We’re likely to be in recession through the end of the year.

DocBarrister
The first real indicator that we're turning the corner on the pandemic.

Docs starting too bleat about the Recovery and how terrible Trump will handle that

Surprised he hasn't added a daily 'racism' charge to how Trump deals with Covid-19, too. Even the New York Times has beaten him to the punch!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/opin ... ncing.html
Gotta balance the numbers. Affirmative Action Plan -- unplug Whitey's ventilator.
DocBarrister

Re: South Korea: A Worship of Science & Innovation

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:32 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:23 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:08 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm South Korea, which is even more pro-big business than the United States, also worships science and innovation.

This is markedly different from Donald Trump and his supporters, who seem to worship instead their own ignorance, stupidity, racism, bigotry, and misogyny. Indeed, it is the lack of respect and appreciation for science, expertise, and data that led to the current lethality of the pandemic in the United States.

We see some of that on this forum, where folks with little or no education, training, experience, or understanding of science, medicine, or epidemiology are mouthing off like they’re the second coming of Louis Pasteur.

What we are witnessing now is the lethality of a lack of respect for science.

DocBarrister
pretty comical coming from an attorney no less who's never played or coached lacrosse but has positioned himself as the ultimate authority 10s of 1000s of times over the last 15 years because he watches and stuff.
Lacrosse is just a game. I’m just a fan rooting for my team. That was all in fun.

We’re discussing a global pandemic that has already killed at least 90,000 worldwide despite some of the most extreme public health interventions in all of history.

Which makes your comparison pretty stupid, right?

DocBarrister
nah. holds form. you think you know everything. anyone that's not in your worship camp for all your great takes gets to be called juvenile names and trashed.
sounds pretty familiar, no? what time is your press conference?
I don’t know everything.

But I know more than you and Donald Trump and everyone in between. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know more than him ... although that’s questionable.

What’s more outlandish ... your persistent (and completely uninformed) assertion that no one could have done better than Trump in addressing the greatest global pandemic in over a century ...

... or my (somewhat uninformed) assertion that Petro should run a more aggressive defense?

Who has the bigger #%^+%^ ego, genius?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:54 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:16 pm I'm not in the "Why didn't Trump do more back in Feb" camp, and you know it. He did the best he could, just as Governors in other States who didn't shut down their States.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell if you're overreacting. Full stop. That's the STUPIDITY of the Stanford article. The ONLY way to "test" if we're overreacting is to do nothing, and hope America survives. This is logic that's even worse than Homer Simpson's.

No one, not even Trump, is suggesting we do nothing, and just resign to whatever happens.
This isn’t true.

You study epidemiology during your Master Distiller studies?

@DocBarrister
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:58 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm South Korea, which is even more pro-big business than the United States, also worships science and innovation.

This is markedly different from Donald Trump and his supporters, who seem to worship instead their own ignorance, stupidity, racism, bigotry, and misogyny. Indeed, it is the lack of respect and appreciation for science, expertise, and data that led to the current lethality of the pandemic in the United States.

We see some of that on this forum, where folks with little or no education, training, experience, or understanding of science, medicine, or epidemiology are mouthing off like they’re the second coming of Louis Pasteur.

DocBarrister
pretty comical coming from an attorney no less who's never played or coached lacrosse but has positioned himself as the ultimate authority 10s of 1000s of times over the last 15 years because he watches and stuff.
Lacrosse is just a game. I’m just a fan rooting for my team. That was all in fun.

We’re discussing a global pandemic that has already killed at least 90,000 worldwide despite some of the most extreme public health interventions in all of history.

DocBarrister
nah. holds form. you think you know everything. anyone that's not in your worship camp for all your great takes gets to be called juvenile names and trashed.
I don’t know everything.

But I know more than you and Donald Trump and everyone in between. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know more than him ... although that’s questionable.

What’s more outlandish ... your persistent (and completely uninformed) assertion that no one could have done better than Trump in addressing the greatest global pandemic in over a century ...

... or my (somewhat uninformed) assertion that Petro should run a more aggressive defense?

Who has the bigger #%^+%^ ego, genius?

Being consistently incorrect on Coronavirus has chafed Docs chaps, fellas. Give him some safe space to find the next Trump derangement issue.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
On this, Doc has been been consistently right, on lax not so consistent. :?

How about we back off on the personal attacks, fellas?
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

These Coronavirus pressers are awesome.

If you aren’t watching, you should! they’re fantastic. Trump is a showman and lights up Democrats, all for free. Then he leaves. He’s like a great opening act.

Then Pence comes in and does very well. He intros Dr Birx who is sublime. Then Dr Birx intros Dr Fauci. He then passed the baton to Redfield the CDC director.

Very informative. Reassuring. Intelligent. Measured.

This thing is working. America gets it done!

Let’s go back to work. May 1!!!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

This isn’t true.

Regarding your question ... none. No nation “overreacted” to this virus.

Don’t rely on my opinion ... just ask the doctors and nurses in New York City, New Orleans, Paris, and Rome.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Your responses to people with differing opinions than yours are dripping with venom contempt and hostility. You talk at us like we're neanderthals. Like the fascists you accuse us of being. For such a smart man its really unbecoming.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:10 pm These Coronavirus pressers are awesome.

If you aren’t watching, you should! they’re fantastic. Trump is a showman and lights up Democrats, all for free. Then he leaves. He’s like a great opening act.

Then Pence comes in and does very well. He intros Dr Birx who is sublime. Then Dr Birx intros Dr Fauci. He then passed the baton to Redfield the CDC director.

Yes, the presser is remarkably more cogent and informative when Trump isn't speaking.
Interesting that they got him out of the room altogether today.
No more jumping in and stupidly answering a serious question incorrectly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:12 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Your responses to people with differing opinions than yours are dripping with venom contempt and hostility. You talk at us like we're neanderthals. Like the fascists you accuse us of being. For such a smart man its really unbecoming.
Let me try again, how about we back off on all the personal stuff, fellas?
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 pm

This isn’t true.

Don’t rely on my opinion ... just ask the doctors and nurses in New York City, New Orleans, Paris, and Rome.

DocBarrister
Paris and Rome? How could things be bad in Paris and Rome, Trump isn't in charge there?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:58 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
I don’t know everything.

But I know more than you and Donald Trump and everyone in between. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know more than him ... although that’s questionable. yeah. you don't sound like you have an ego.

What’s more outlandish ... your persistent (and completely uninformed) assertion that no one could have done better than Trump in addressing the greatest global pandemic in over a century ... i have never said this, please quote me.

Who has the bigger #%^+%^ ego, genius? typical. all you do is lash out at people on here and at your favorite target. when you're not defending people merely because they share a political ideology. you are the definition of a keyboard warrior. and you mirror the person and people you most abhor. maybe you should think about all that for more than a beat.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:12 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:10 pm These Coronavirus pressers are awesome.

Yes, the presser is remarkably more cogent and informative when Trump isn't speaking.

It’s smart politics. Trump needs to get out of there after he does his ‘thing’. If you were an alien and dropped in on Pence/Birx/Fauci/Redfield, you’d think the feds are totally in control. It’s only when Trump comes in that things go sideways. Lol 😂
DMac

Post by DMac »

So Trump is the jester, an opening act.
Then the real players come out.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:16 pm

It’s smart politics. Trump needs to get out of there after he does his ‘thing’. If you were an alien and dropped in on Pence/Birx/Fauci/Redfield, you’d think the feds are totally in control. It’s only when Trump comes in that things go sideways. Lol 😂
Everyone you just mentioned has been referred to here as a toady or a sycophant. Jhu refers to Dr Birx as Debby—in his best condescending mysoginist tone.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

This isn’t true.

DocBarrister
a fan, I don't even understand the question as to "overreacted"...do you think a country "overreacted"??

On the timeline, do you really think that Governors are privy to same information a POTUS is, much less the degree of powers?

Did you hear Governors using the largest bully pulpit in the world to downplay the risk of the virus, as if the best scientists in the world were actually telling him that there was little to no risk?

I do give Trump something of a pass for most of January and I even give him a pass that last week of January when they sure as heck should have known better...but no pass for the next 6 weeks of not only dithering, but continuing all the way into well into May claiming the virus would just go away...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:20 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:16 pm

Everyone you just mentioned has been referred to here as a toady or a sycophant. Jhu refers to Dr Birx as Debby—in his best condescending mysoginist tone.
Pence is a toady and sycophant, true.
He's less so when Trump isn't in the room, but pretty darn disgusting when he's there.

Redfield sure flirts with that.

Trump calls Birx "Debbie", my guess would be that JHU is mocking Trump not Birx. He can clarify for himself.

Don't think anyone has called Fauci or Birx a toady or a sycophant.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:20 pm

This isn’t true.

DocBarrister
a fan, I don't even understand the question as to "overreacted"...do you think a country "overreacted"??.
What Doc is trying to sell here is that when the a virus comes along, It's impossible to overreact.

So that means, obviously, when Virus X shows up in say, Africa in 2021, Doc is telling us that America should shelter in place nationwide, and do it immediately, on the same day.

This is patently ridiculous, obviously. Like everything in life....moderation is the way to go.

Return to “POLITICS”