All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

runrussellrun

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by runrussellrun »

ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm Pete, Six, RRR -- I'm not personally interested in the partisan ax grinding. I didn't need Covid to make me dislike Trump.

So again, what should we be doing differently? Is it 6 feet, or 27'? Masks or no masks?

Keep doing the full SD until 5/31 but just not trash Trump?

SD lite a la Sweden? At this point, I care about my neighbors. Save Tibet......later.

Fully re-open the country today? On the 15th

What does "Back to work!!" mean? For Moi? Contracts signed, but the start date was March 1st. What does it mean for you?

RRR -- 2.8 million people die in the U.S. every year. So adding an incremental 2.2 million seems like a material variance, no? How is the US Census going? You know, the one required by law? American Liberty League is a thing of fiction :roll: :roll:
partisan? Like I have been saying, this place would be more enjoyable if one could put up a bio. TAATS is the pragmatic way to say, "follow the money", not what the partisans say, but what they do. You really think I am a CONservative? That I like the creep who is currently POTUSA? Get real.

Doing differntly ? We should allow EVERYONE to return to work. Not just the folks delivering your cubano sandwich.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:49 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm Pete, Six, RRR -- I'm not personally interested in the partisan ax grinding. I didn't need Covid to make me dislike Trump.

So again, what should we be doing differently?

SD lite a la Sweden?

Fully re-open the country today?

What does "Back to work!!" mean?

RRR -- 2.8 million people die in the U.S. every year. So adding an incremental 2.2 million seems like a material variance, no?

I'll offer a few ideas.

Ramp up production of the Abbott 5-minute test kit, get other factories to make it, get these into designated city and town zones overnight, make all tests free, test everyone. With no valid test, you do not get to do anything: flights, work, church, etc... Walk around with an app on your phone or a piece of paper with a valid test result.

Let anyone 60 and under with no underlying compromised system go back to work, with a test that says 'clean'. If over 60, wait one more month.

After May 31, anyone over 60 can rejoin civilization with a clear test.

Anyone who tests 'clean' still needs to test once per month until a vaccine is sanctioned.
Abbott and everyone else....agreed.

We still need therapeutics asap....we're not moving up much until then.
jhu72

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:18 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:07 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:45 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:41 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:38 pmNo more deadly than the FN FLU.
You sound disappointed.
Jeezus.

I've been saying all along the predictions of armageddon were hyperbolic—check all my posts.

One of you folks in the liberal clown car is actually prepared to rub my nose in my lower expectations of death. Think its ggait

Just amazing how you people think twist and spin.
The actual death numbers will be substantially higher - because of unreported cases. Can be estimated after the fact to a good measure by looking at the total death rate vs normal numbers for that place and time of year.

This effect has already been noted and partial estimates are available for Spain and Italy for example. Real toll will be quite a bit higher than the "official" count which for now is only those cases where CV has been detected/measured.
Italy's National Institute of Health found that 99% of people who died from COVID-19 had at least one preexisting condition.

Dr Birx said in yesterdays press conference that ALL coronavirus deaths are counted as "OF" coronavirus" not "with" coronavirus
Like this makes any difference. :roll: If coronavirus had not come along would these people have died? So how many does the FLU kill, without comorbidity there sparky? How many FLU deaths are actually pneumonia from a weakened immune system? :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Trump derangement writ large.

The official estimates of deaths from coronavirus is revised DOWNWARD. and the left continues to pizz, moan and obfuscate.
ggait

Post by ggait »

And they may be closer than the latest 60K estimate. at the time the official estimate was up to 200K.
Key question on the Stanford projection.

Was it 20-40k no SD? Or 20-40k full SD? Do you know?

BIG difference.

What you posted suggested 20-40k with no SD. If so, that was way way off. Because all the projections were saying the diff between full SD and no SD was about 10X.

If 20-40k with full SD, then they were about as accurate (to the low side) as UW was (to the high side).
Last edited by ggait on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
runrussellrun

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by runrussellrun »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:36 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:32 pm While Trump and his supporters prove their complete and utter stupidity each and every day (including on this forum), a voice of sanity from the wilderness:

Washington (CNN) Former President Barack Obama on Wednesday said it would not be feasible to relax current measures to combat the spread of coronavirus without a "robust system of testing and monitoring — something we have yet to put in place nationwide."

The tweet presents a notable contrast in tone compared to the views of President Donald Trump, who on Wednesday morning tweeted that the country's economy must reopen "sooner rather than later" and that the pandemic "must be quickly forgotten" for those who haven't lost a loved one.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/politics ... index.html

President Obama is basically saying, “Look morons, you need to put a vigorous and comprehensive testing system in place, like the South Koreans did, before you can safely open up the economy. Dumba$$es,” but in his usual nice way.

DocBarrister
Not the Barack Obama that allowed 60 million Americans to contract H1N1 and up to 18,000 Americans to die.

Not the Barack Obama that never resupplied the National supply of Medical supplies after he depleted it for H1N1.

Not he Barack Obama who couldn't protect 4 people in a US embassy.

Not that Barack Obama

Its a certainty that the Trump Task Force that bent the death curve from 2.5 million down to maybe 60,000 doesnt have the brains or foresight to think about testing monitoring and a vaccine.
Deaths matter not, when overseas. Someone said something about "undercounting" ?

https://www.law.columbia.edu/human-righ ... ike-deaths

Debate about drone strikes often centers on who is killed: "militants" or civilians. In the absence of official information, casualty estimates provided by media fill the gap; however, the estimates are incomplete and may significantly undercount the extent of reported civilian deaths. The US government owes the public an accounting of who is really being killed.

OOPPSSIEEE........sorry. I am sorry. Until the next time. Just basement dwelling brown people will get killed next time, not Hopkins Docs. Obama sayz no more drone strikes on Hospitals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/08/worl ... pital.html
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:58 pm

So again, what should we be doing differently? Is it 6 feet, or 27'? Masks or no masks?

SD lite a la Sweden? At this point, I care about my neighbors. Save Tibet......later.

What does "Back to work!!" mean? For Moi? Contracts signed, but the start date was March 1st. What does it mean for you?

RRR -- 2.8 million people die in the U.S. every year. So adding an incremental 2.2 million seems like a material variance, no? How is the US Census going? You know, the one required by law? American Liberty League is a thing of fiction :roll: :roll:
partisan? Like I have been saying, this place would be more enjoyable if one could put up a bio. TAATS is the pragmatic way to say, "follow the money", not what the partisans say, but what they do. You really think I am a CONservative? That I like the creep who is currently POTUSA? Get real.

Doing differntly ? We should allow EVERYONE to return to work. Not just the folks delivering your cubano sandwich.
I had my first Cuban in the Bronx back in the 80's. Not long after I started hating your guy Trump..... this explains a pandemic:

“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:57 pm Pete -- I think almost everyone agrees with all that. I think that is exactly what will happen.

We can go back to work when we are able to widely deploy new/additional tools.

But until we have those tools, you are stuck with keeping up the full SD.

So it seems like the main point of differentiation is whether you hate on Trump or not? :?:

I agree that SD needs to go through end of April. But we should be testing now to get people to start thinking of May 1 as 'back to work', which relaly will be May 4th.

But get that test kit ramped up production-wise. Set up a CDC website which shows locations of test sites. Clearly explain what people need, to go back to work. This is not hard.

And yes, most of the nonsense here is how much can I hate Trump... I don't sense anyone who defends Trump is necessarily a supporter of his, but merely show up here to balance the scale which leans hard to the hysteria side about EVERY issue, let alone Covid-19.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:03 pm

I had my first Cuban in the Bronx back in the 80's. Not long after I started hating your guy Trump..... this explains a pandemic:

What was her name?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:20 pm Six -- honest question.

What should the U.S. have done differently on this? And what would the impact of that been?

I don't understand what your alternative would have been.

Do nothing and hope for herd immunity?

SD lite (like what Sweden is doing)?

Something else?
Face it the modelers were wrong by 90%. Thats all from wishing our hands and social distancing?

OK we've done what we were asked. Forfeited businesses and jobs.

Lost trillions in the market.

Trump and his Task force moved heaven and earth—with constant bleating from the left and the media.

Nothing was enough.

And the same players are already bytching about the recovery.
… so boiling down your rant, your answer to the question is YOU WOULD HAVE DONE NOTHING. Free the virus, let it run wild.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

SD lite a la Sweden?

RRR -- 2.8 million people die in the U.S. every year. So adding an incremental 2.2 million seems like a material variance, no?

I'll offer a few ideas.

Ramp up production of the Abbott 5-minute test kit, get other factories to make it, get these into designated city and town zones overnight, make all tests free, test everyone. With no valid test, you do not get to do anything: flights, work, church, etc... Walk around with an app on your phone or a piece of paper with a valid test result.

Let anyone 60 and under with no underlying compromised system go back to work, with a test that says 'clean'. If over 60, wait one more month.

Anyone who tests 'clean' still needs to test once per month until a vaccine is sanctioned.
.....besides your first sentence, and ONLY that sentence....the rest of your ideas are down write scary. Fascist, in fact.
(did I mention arm bands for test takers? :roll: )
Typical Lax Dad

:D
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm

What was her name?
:D she was a fox.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:08 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:20 pm Six -- honest question.

What should the U.S. have done differently on this? And what would the impact of that been?

I don't understand what your alternative would have been.

Do nothing and hope for herd immunity?

SD lite (like what Sweden is doing)?

Something else?
Face it the modelers were wrong by 90%. Thats all from wishing our hands and social distancing?

OK we've done what we were asked. Forfeited businesses and jobs.

Lost trillions in the market.

Trump and his Task force moved heaven and earth—with constant bleating from the left and the media.

Nothing was enough.

And the same players are already bytching about the recovery.
… so boiling down your rant, your answer to the question is YOU WOULD HAVE DONE NOTHING. Free the virus, let it run wild.
b/c, it's NOT running wild? You actually think we are STOPPING a virus? Gee, if there were only a vaccine, funded by the US tax payer, at pretend not for profit, private colleges, but , thanks to Bahy/Dole, the US taxpayer sees NO return on investment.

jhu72, why not set up a poll. Find out WHO is working, still getting paid. Evah think a robot computer can do YOUR job, pushing spreadsheets? Do robots brag yet?
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:11 pm :D

What was her name?
Those are the best kind!
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:11 pm :D

What was her name?
Those are the best kind!
Yep..... on that we can agree!
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:09 pm

SD lite a la Sweden?

I'll offer a few ideas.

.....besides your first sentence, and ONLY that sentence....the rest of your ideas are down write scary. Fascist, in fact.
(did I mention arm bands for test takers? :roll: )

It's a tightrope, I agree. Point noted about the armbands...

Just don't see any way around it.

Stop and frisk might need a comeback. :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:02 pm Trump derangement writ large.

The official estimates of deaths from coronavirus is revised DOWNWARD. and the left continues to pizz, moan and obfuscate.
SFB deranged. Trumpnistas are just pissed off because social distancing is working. :lol:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:54 pm
foreverlax wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:52 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 pm
The egg on your face belies the truth.....it was NEVER a pandemic......the LACK of deaths will prove me write.

How wrong can you be??
A pandemic is a global outbreak of disease. Pandemics happen when a new virus emerges to infect people and can spread between people sustainably. Because there is little to no pre-existing immunity against the new virus, it spreads worldwide.
The world is wrong. This hasn’t spread and people have immunity.
When Lord Jeff Amherst "gifted" the small pox blankets, was he immune, hence NOT a carrier?

Think, man, think. Or else, we have it all wrong. Which, mostly, you all do.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:54 pm
foreverlax wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:52 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 pm
The egg on your face belies the truth.....it was NEVER a pandemic......the LACK of deaths will prove me write.

How wrong can you be??
A pandemic is a global outbreak of disease. Pandemics happen when a new virus emerges to infect people and can spread between people sustainably. Because there is little to no pre-existing immunity against the new virus, it spreads worldwide.
The world is wrong. This hasn’t spread and people have immunity.
another idiotic post
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:57 pm Pete -- I think almost everyone agrees with all that. I think that is exactly what will happen.

We can go back to work when we are able to widely deploy new/additional tools.

But until we have those tools, you are stuck with keeping up the full SD.

So it seems like the main point of differentiation is whether you hate on Trump or not? :?:

I agree that SD needs to go through end of April. But we should be testing now to get people to start thinking of May 1 as 'back to work', which relaly will be May 4th.

But get that test kit ramped up production-wise. Set up a CDC website which shows locations of test sites. Clearly explain what people need, to go back to work. This is not hard.

And yes, most of the nonsense here is how much can I hate Trump... I don't sense anyone who defends Trump is necessarily a supporter of his, but merely show up here to balance the scale which leans hard to the hysteria side about EVERY issue, let alone Covid-19.
Never mind that even the fairly optimistic UW group predictions assume full SD through the end of May. Not April.

And if you look at the UW projections, you see significant differences in the states that were hit hard early (NY/NJ, MI, LA) which will be diving toward zero in early May versus the "late" states like yours and mine (FL and SC, and see death rate peaks projected in 15/17 days) where the governors were quite late with something approximating the full SD and will see their numbers taper off in late May and early June.

So your idea that in FL we reduce SD on May 1 is not that likely to lead to a good outcome. Maybe mid-May or later.

You need about two disease cycles to break the pandemic in any locale. Roughly four weeks. And FL just got started (although South Florida might be ready sooner).

Return to “POLITICS”