THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote:The second round is where this successful program has tripped up lately
Sounds familiar...

Congrats to Cole on winning the Turkey Bowl MVP this year, ending Robert Kuhn's streak. Hopefully no one blew out a knee.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

One of the problems in the playoffs has been the matchups. Hopkins has often been paired against D-lll teams that are really not comparable with teams like MIT, Hopkins and most other D-lll teams. A lot of D-1 transfers etc. A very different talent pool from where most of D-lll fishes
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins would like to have about 5B available for financial aid. I don’t how much of the recent cap raise was for financial aid but I expect this gets us there.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I read on the old LaxPower that JHU was at a disadvantage because it was not truly need-blind (not merely less generous than HYP when defining need), but Daniels says that JHU did not want to be in the position of reneging on a perceived open-ended promise to remain need-blind.
For the past eight years, Hopkins quietly held to a need-blind policy in admissions, Daniels said. But it has been reluctant to advertise that policy because of the fear that it might have to pull back from the promise.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The fact of the matter is Hopkins was not accepting some kids who needed financial aid and taking less qualified kids who didn’t. The limitations placed on amount of financial aid available had the effect of dampening the quality of the undergrad body as well as diversity. The goal was to increase the available base by about 5 Billion. My assumption is this gift gets them there.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OCanada wrote:The fact of the matter is Hopkins was not accepting some kids who needed financial aid and taking less qualified kids who didn’t. The limitations placed on amount of financial aid available had the effect of dampening the quality of the undergrad body as well as diversity. The goal was to increase the available base by about 5 Billion. My assumption is this gift gets them there.
Still won’t bring back PJ’s.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Prior to the 2016 election the MBA program had a very heavy Asian influx of kids who were well educated but also had parents that could carry the freight. How recent developments have affected that status I don’t know. I have been out of contact for a few years now
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

JHU Men's lacrosse tweeted Hopkins lax graduates have the highest earning potential in terms of early and mid career salaries of all BIG lax programs

If 43 is to remain at the helm for the foreseeable future I heard yesterday we need him to get his back better - starting with misplacing some lbs
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I found a lost LPer drifting overboard last week.

viper should be back onboard soon.

Wondering if anyone else will 86 themselves.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote:Prior to the 2016 election the MBA program had a very heavy Asian influx of kids who were well educated but also had parents that could carry the freight. How recent developments have affected that status I don’t know. I have been out of contact for a few years now
The Carey MBA program continues to be heavily Asian.
I was a guest lecturer there earlier this fall and 100% of the particular class I spoke to was from China.
My 25 yr old son happens to be working in Shanghai right now, which gave me a bit of 'street cred' I think, or at least a chuckle.

Just a week ago I was a guest lecturer at the Whiting School of Engineering graduate class in entrepreneurship and strategy. That class was more diverse, with kids from the US, China, India, S. Korea, Spain, Great Britain, Brazil. But more than 50% from overseas overall.

I would think that the need blind admissions will be primarily the undergraduate programs, but perhaps they will extend to the professional schools as well.

As Harvard is experiencing, how to balance 'diversity' is quite a problem.

From a Hopkins lax perspective, generous need-based financial aid, blind to sports, is an attractive recruiting tool for kids whose families have lesser means. I'm not sure how all this gets calculated with the sports scholarships though, as the Ivies simply don't do sports scholarships, just non-sports financial aid.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lol still the same I see. Do you have fluency in Chinese ? If not the students say done interesting things among themselves.

My 7 yo nephew is in a Chinese immersion program, Speaks, writes, climbing the king fu ranks and practices his calligraphy.

Those kids parents pay full freight for the most part.

I was on the Yard not long ago. My Yale grad step daughter had the restoration of the Memorial? Chapel as one of her projects. That day on the Yard every tour group was Asian or heavily Asian. Impressive kids some stopped to talk with her about the project
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote:Lol still the same I see. Do you have fluency in Chinese ? If not the students say done interesting things among themselves.

My 7 yo nephew is in a Chinese immersion program, Speaks, writes, climbing the king fu ranks and practices his calligraphy.

Those kids parents pay full freight for the most part.

I was on the Yard not long ago. My Yale grad step daughter had the restoration of the Memorial? Chapel as one of her projects. That day on the Yard every tour group was Asian or heavily Asian. Impressive kids some stopped to talk with her about the project
Nope. Nor does my son!
Thank goodness most everyone under the age of 35 speaks English reasonably well, certainly in the more affluent urban areas such as Shanghai and its exurbs.

He never anticipated a gig in China, but is drinking from the cultural fire hose.
Right now, he and his girlfriend are in Thailand on a few days break. He's been to Vietnam and S. Korea for his company, and spent most of the month of July in Israel helping coach the Men's National Lacrosse Team from New Zealand in the World Games. He'd gotten hooked up with them when he'd been in Aukland and corporate HQ prior to being asked to go to Shanghai.

Ahhh to be 25.

Yes, we had much the same experience up on the Yard with the tourists.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

He took a gf with him to Thailand? !!! ??
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Full Moon Party On.....
viper

Post by viper »

I figured this was all just an elaborate plan to lose me.........
Anyway, happy to be back. :D
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

viper wrote:

I figured this was all just an elaborate plan to lose me.........
Anyway, happy to be back. :D
Welcome back viper, and congrats!

W
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

51percentcorn wrote:JHU Men's lacrosse tweeted Hopkins lax graduates have the highest earning potential in terms of early and mid career salaries of all BIG lax programs

If 43 is to remain at the helm for the foreseeable future I heard yesterday we need him to get his back better - starting with misplacing some lbs
Seems he and Dwan could donate a few lbs to the middle age healthy back cause
Lax Fidelis

Post by Lax Fidelis »

Bluejayfan2 wrote:Seems he and Dwan could donate a few lbs to the middle age healthy back cause.
Having lost 50 pounds within the last ~three months, I have a method for shedding weight that I do NOT recommend.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dropping 50 lbs would be a good start for Dwan.
NFW he'd waddle around the field looking like that if I were the AD or HC.
Completely unacceptable as well as inexcusable, just stop stuffing food in
your mouth for an hour or two a day....would work wonders. Very poor
image for JHU lacrosse, standards should be much higher, IMO.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”