Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by AreaLax »

It aint over yet wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:02 pm Is there a link to access the Transfer Portal? or can someone post a current full list please
The portal is run by the NCAA. Only the student and the potential new school university Athletics department. Not sure how media outlets are finding out unless the students are telling them..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:03 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:41 am Good question. Athetic $ will be tight at most, if numbers increase in portal than supply may be greater than demand .
I think supply will be greater than demand even if the amount of guys in the portal stays pretty small. The number of schools that offer a mix of a high-level playing opportunity plus attractive grad school opportunities is pretty small. The ones that do include some of D1's most talent laden programs, all with their own seniors contemplating a return plus talented freshmen arriving in the fall. It's going to be tough to crack those rosters for all but the best guys in the portal or those who can fill a specific team need for 2021(goalie, fogo, lefty finisher, etc).
Why not rank that market as we can see it today? Or is that a future IL mag seller? As much fun as all the other speculation
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Haven’t seen it reported yet, but wondering if the midfielder at Mercer, goldsmith, might take advantage of effectively being a redshirt Soph next spring (Soph now get the year back) to try to get to a top 20 type program.

In general I feel like this situation creates a bit of a reset for underclassmen who outperformed expectations of the masses/consensus and move around. That could be more profound than 15-25 “super seniors” moving around potentially.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Xanders twitter
More names that entered the NCAA's transfer portal since Friday:

-Matt Hubler, Sr., @jhumenslacrosse. Jays' top SSDM had 33GB, 6pts in '19.
-Drew Morris, Jr., @TerpsMLax. IL's former No. 24 recruit, No. 2 goalie.
-Davis Diamond, Sr., @UAlbanyMLax. Four-year contributor at A/M.
Not surprised by Morris
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Matter of semantics but I dont consider seniors who are actually graduating with degrees this year to be truly "transfers'.

Some of the names being listed may have had plans to pursue further education even before the granting of an additional year of eligibility.

Makes me wonder if some others had already committed to masters programs before this ruling and now they may play a 5th year despite not showing their availability in portal.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:39 am In general I feel like this situation creates a bit of a reset for underclassmen who outperformed expectations of the masses/consensus and move around. That could be more profound than 15-25 “super seniors” moving around potentially.
Yes, I've started thinking about how this affects the 2020 freshmen and sophs and I think you're right. Guys who immediately stood out for mid/lower tier D1 programs, as well as guys stuck in tough depth chart situations at top programs, could essentially reset their college careers with 3-4 years of eligibility remaining after a transfer. Case in point, a freshman from Utah (Mac Costin) just entered the portal according to TX.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Terry Foy talking about the conference options

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/p ... 0470665551
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

TX tweet

Breaking: @ILPreps' No. 6 freshman and @YaleLacrosse LSM/defenseman BJ Burlace (St. Mary's, Md.) entered the NCAA's transfer portal earlier today, according to multiple sources

Former @jhumenslacrosse defenseman Jack Rapine entered the transfer portal this afternoon, per a source. Rapine left the Hopkins roster in January after starting 48 games in his first three years:
WhiteShark

Post by WhiteShark »

Clarification - when a player decides he would like to enter the transfer portal he goes to his head coach and the coach enters all of the players information including an email address for the player. Player has no access and ability to see in the portal unless the coach shares information with the player.

The football portal is a bigger decision for a player with eligible years. The coach can decide to terminate any financial aid before the player finds out if there is any interest. Football kids tend to be on a 100% scholarship.

So I suspect the players are announcing their entrance to try and create an interest.

The player just sits back and waits to be contacted by an interested school. Many are contacted directly by coaches thru email initially and the player can then narrow down his options. The more attractive recruits hear from all different levels of schools.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

WhiteShark wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:17 pm Clarification - when a player decides he would like to enter the transfer portal he goes to his head coach and the coach enters all of the players information including an email address for the player. Player has no access and ability to see in the portal unless the coach shares information with the player.

The football portal is a bigger decision for a player with eligible years. The coach can decide to terminate any financial aid before the player finds out if there is any interest. Football kids tend to be on a 100% scholarship.

So I suspect the players are announcing their entrance to try and create an interest.

The player just sits back and waits to be contacted by an interested school. Many are contacted directly by coaches thru email initially and the player can then narrow down his options. The more attractive recruits hear from all different levels of schools.
And to add to this, even before a player notifies their coach and athletic dept (It's the AD that actually puts the players name in the portal) players may contact friends and acquaintances on any prospective NCAA team at any level of play. The approval process as I understand it is a two-step process once a player notifies the school.

1. The school approves a "Permission to Contact" which green-lights the student-athlete to formally reach out to ANY school they want in addition to sitting back and waiting for any nibbles if they so chose.
2. The AD then formally puts the student-athlete in the portal.

It is also my understanding that the portal is not "sport specific" and that coaches and staff once in, have to filter to their respective sport and that each respective sport does NOT list positions or any statistics playing or personal, other than contact info.

My personal takeaway is that 95% of these transfers are pretty much inked before the player ever even gets their permission to contact or even before their name in the portal. I could be waaaaaay off on that and would really like to be, but that's my take, maybe not to shocking to most, if any on here.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I wonder if BJ Burlace was looking for the fifth year which he wouldn’t get at an Ivy like Yale.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Seahawk wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:29 pm I wonder if BJ Burlace was looking for the fifth year which he wouldn’t get at an Ivy like Yale.
Probably is just looking for playing time. Not sure he stepped on the field this year.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

thetruth wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:39 pm
Seahawk wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:29 pm I wonder if BJ Burlace was looking for the fifth year which he wouldn’t get at an Ivy like Yale.
Probably is just looking for playing time. Not sure he stepped on the field this year.
Yet, worthy of an entire year at the expense of a high school kid if he stays for a fifth year... yea, that's reasonable.
Realguy

Post by Realguy »

WhiteShark wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:17 pm Clarification - when a player decides he would like to enter the transfer portal he goes to his head coach and the coach enters all of the players information including an email address for the player. Player has no access and ability to see in the portal unless the coach shares information with the player.

The player DOES NOT go to the coach at all. The player contacts the Athletic Department of his current school and within 48-72 hours is put on the transfer portal, please don't give people bad information. Can you imagine telling your child to go speak with his current head coach about transferring especially if the kid is timid. As for waiting to hear from coaches via email, text or phone call that much is true but don't think for a second that many transfers are not already set prior to posting on the portal. Every coach either contacts club lacrosse programs or high schools seeking the next big transfer to help their respective teams. In other words it's a formality most of the times even though that would be a form of tampering but if a kid isn't happy he should explore his options. The next 3-4 years there will be a reshuffling of the deck by both players and coaches that will make college lacrosse look like a board game or an eBay auction. The best relief valves would either be a few more D-2 teams bumping up to D-1 or increase the $$$ from 12.6 scholarships to maybe 18-20. I know the argument that it's a non revenue sport but is girls soccer generating any $$$ and they get 14 for a roster size of 28 (50%). If it's about Title IX , increase WLax too so everything is equal.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

laxfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:00 pm
Yet, worthy of an entire year at the expense of a high school kid if he stays for a fifth year... yea, that's reasonable.
That statement seems a little unnecessarily bitter. NCAA athletes get 5 years to play 4, so if he didn't play this year he'd get full eligibility anyways. Plus, the virus isn't really fair to anyone or anything. If kids want to play more lacrosse, have fun. If your kid loses playing time to BJ Burlace, then your kid is free to find a spot on another team too.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

keno in reno wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:21 am
That statement seems a little unnecessarily bitter. NCAA athletes get 5 years to play 4, so if he didn't play this year he'd get full eligibility anyways. Plus, the virus isn't really fair to anyone or anything. If kids want to play more lacrosse, have fun. If your kid loses playing time to BJ Burlace, then your kid is free to find a spot on another team too.
BItter? Absolutely. But if the idea is to "give" back a year of eligibility because of what a player lost THIS year, the idea that a player could be a bench player and then get an entire year back flies in the face of that logic, no? So, he can get 5 years now, while there is a high school kid out there who will now not get on a roster somewhere, someplace, down the line - it's not going to be wherever Burlace ends up - but where he ends up, will force another kid to another school, and another school, and another school and, yes, it's simply a number games - eventually there will be a kid who would have played at school "X", who will now not play in college who would have. And this is likely not just Burlace, there will be hundreds of kids like this, many of whom missed 2/3'ds of spring ball while not playing. So, yea, i"m bitter because i don't think this was fair at all and severely and negatively impacted a bunch of kids - high school kids - who were also impacted by this virus and now will be impacted even more severely.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

My .02. Completely understand the frustration across the board. This is going to have a waterfall effect for years to come, and not just in the college lacrosse game. I definitely feel that current high school seniors are getting hit the hardest (since college seniors just got a year back). Between losing their senior year of high school lacrosse, to now competing with repeat college freshman, they're being dealt a tough hand. However the transfer portal is not to blame. Whether it's a transfer or just an existing freshman at their college of choice they're now entering a scenario they didn't originally commit to. Also don't want to jump to the conclusion that a player like Burlace is entering the portal because he didn't see the field in his first year. My assumption would be that he truly doesn't feel Yale is the best fit for him overall. You don't transfer from an institution like Yale because you're not seeing playing time as a freshman (or sophomore, junior or senior for that matter)! It's because you're not happy there at all... my assumption. So good for him, making the tough decision to enter the transfer portal. Best of luck to everyone in this difficult time.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

laxfan22 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:54 am
keno in reno wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:21 am
BItter? Absolutely. But if the idea is to "give" back a year of eligibility because of what a player lost THIS year, the idea that a player could be a bench player and then get an entire year back flies in the face of that logic, no? So, he can get 5 years now, while there is a high school kid out there who will now not get on a roster somewhere, someplace, down the line - it's not going to be wherever Burlace ends up - but where he ends up, will force another kid to another school, and another school, and another school and, yes, it's simply a number games - eventually there will be a kid who would have played at school "X", who will now not play in college who would have. And this is likely not just Burlace, there will be hundreds of kids like this, many of whom missed 2/3'ds of spring ball while not playing. So, yea, i"m bitter because i don't think this was fair at all and severely and negatively impacted a bunch of kids - high school kids - who were also impacted by this virus and now will be impacted even more severely.
The kids and parents should have learned during high level club lacrosse that there's no guarantee of playing time. And D1 is 10x more competitive and physically demanding than club. Simple, brutal math. If hs seniors place that much importance on getting the best chance of D1 playing time, they have options like PG and/or redshirting and/or transferring. If they are good enough, they can play somewhere.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

RumorMill wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:12 am You don't transfer from an institution like Yale because you're not seeing playing time as a freshman (or sophomore, junior or senior for that matter)! It's because you're not happy there at all... .
When it comes to many college athletes, I think happiness and personal success are largely defined by their playing time as an athlete. Particularly for those who were highly praised in high school and never sat on the bench.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”