All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

runrussellrun

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by runrussellrun »

ggait wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:40 am
Projections..........have morphed to become facts.
3R -- the flood/hurricane/blizzard/pandemic is coming. Not here yet. Because predicting the future is hard, we don't know how bad it will be.

UW today predicts 82k (revised slightly downward from a few days ago) as a base case (with SD). With a low of 49k and a high of 136k. Fauci/Birks have it at 100-240k (with SD). Those two Stanford docs that the WSJ and 6ft were aggressively touting a few days ago said 20-40k (unfortunately, not looking good for that projection).

So what do you do decide to do? Do nothing and just wing it -- because it is to hard to predict? You really think that is a good idea?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
OK........just please stop calling projections FACTS.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:36 am Wait until he tries to sell you on how Mercer should’ve been ranked #1 this season....
..........I value you because you lose. A lot.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:25 am
foreverlax wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:16 am
Your view tends to be black and white, with not much in-between. How does it go, "perfection is the enemy of the good". No one is perfect, so therefore, they are all the same.

Regarding his charity....see above.
In fairness and duhfense, that IS not what I intend to convey.........far from it. Sorry...guess you need to clarify your overall point.

Us SHAYSIANS, Sz for short (we communicate with invoices and purchase orders ) We see the world as VERY taupe. or Khaki. I have no idea what you mean, again, sorry.

You, on the otherhand, tend to follow your own critique of others. What?

You and yours need NO further expounding upon a subject. Gates is RICH. listen to him. black and white. More gibberish....

savy No,I don't. You're smart guy....use your words.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:36 am Wait until he tries to sell you on how Mercer should’ve been ranked #1 this season....
Doesn’t your fingers get tired of typing the same thing over and over again for 5-6yrs?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am
Doesn’t your fingers get tired of typing the same thing over and over again for 5-6yrs?
What same thing is that? That every league in the world uses winning.......just not lacrosse? Don't YOU get tired of typing the losing is good, rpi nonsense?

Aren't you the poster that said Charlie, the engineering major, 2 time player of the year, was NO good? Garned 5 points in 'Macks victory in Michigan.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 am
Your view tends to be black and white, with not much in-between. How does it go, "perfection is the enemy of the good". No one is perfect, so therefore, they are all the same.

In fairness and duhfense, that IS not what I intend to convey.........far from it. Sorry...guess you need to clarify your overall point.

Us SHAYSIANS, Sz for short (we communicate with invoices and purchase orders ) We see the world as VERY taupe. or Khaki. I have no idea what you mean, again, sorry.

You and yours need NO further expounding upon a subject. Gates is RICH. listen to him. black and white. More gibberish....
NOPE.....I am the person that automatically thinks there are FOUR sides to every story. Does THAT seam black N white to you?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:57 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am
What same thing is that? That every league in the world uses winning.......just not lacrosse? Don't YOU get tired of typing the losing is good, rpi nonsense?

Aren't you the poster that said Charlie, the engineering major, 2 time player of the year, was NO good? Garned 5 points in 'Macks victory in Michigan.
No I haven’t done the former and didn’t say the latter. Go read the post. Tool.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
njbill

Post by njbill »

Cuomo says he is going to ask Trump this afternoon to turn the Comfort into a COVID-19 facility.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:35 am
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:20 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:26 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:48 pm The media hid FDR's paralysis his entire Presidency.
Trump would be called a liar for trying to conceal it from the public.
How was FDR's messaging on the internment camps ?
Not just FDR. Literally all presidents lie. Most every, if not every, politician lies. It's just a reality of the industry. With this said, Trump's lying is not like most anything we've seen before. Certainly in my life time. Politicians have had bigger lies. but in terms of how blatant the lies are and how often they're shared, Trump is off the charts.
The "media hid FDR's paralysis"????
BS.

There was NO ONE who didn't know of FDR's physical issue.
The degree of pain he was in, probably not, but absolutely everyone knew he was in a wheel chair.
Show us contemporary media images of FDR in a wheelchair.
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-fdr ... ing-2019-4
Some additional information on FDR and his polio from someone who is eminently more qualified to opine than either you or me - historian Geoffrey C Ward. It appears the press did not as actively contribute to the myth as Roosevelt and his handlers did in presenting the President to the public.

"The man who used a wheelchair and couldn’t get to the bathroom on his own “made everyone believe he stood up to greet them,” Mr. Ward said. “He was an absolute magician.”

The modern view “is to see a kind of conspiracy on the part of Franklin Roosevelt to hide the fact that he had this disability from the public,” Mr. Woolner said.

But he added that the public was well aware of his polio; there were fund-raisers every year for research into the disease. What the public didn’t know, he said, “was the extent of his disability,” his ability to put people at ease somehow convincing them that he had overcome it.

Political necessity required an image of strength and health while running for election as the country struggled with the Depression...."

Watch this clip from PBS series "The Roosevelts" and you will note that Ward nearly breaks down after describing Roosevelt's initial situation after contracting polio - Ward, it seems also contracted polio as a child.

You might also get some insight on leadership and how to project a positive image to people in a crisis when you're simultaneously in a personal crisis of your own and scraed sh*tless yourself

Yes, FDR was a flawed person (aren't we all in some ways) but IMHO he ably led the country through two of its greatest crises regardless of his personal shortcomings . Sadly for all of us, none of this applies to the current occupant of the WH.
Blah blah blah. FDR's courage is irrelevant.
Simple question -- did contemporary media show images of FDR in a wheelchair or not ?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Oh noooooooo! The Daleks have taken over!!

We shall all be
EX TER MIN NATED
EX TER MIN NATED
EX TER MIN NATED
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 am
old salt wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 pm jeez, how about some cheese with all that whine for the lobbyist?

We're all rooting for Esper to rise to the challenge...we need his very best.
But here's been absolutely nothing in his performance since taking the job that lends much confidence that he's not just another political sycophant.
Yeah sure. It's obvious how much you're rooting for him.
Good thing you weren't packing his chute when he was a paratrooper.
He was on active duty for 10 years (including combat in the Gulf War) & 11 more years in the Army Guard & Reserves.
To you he's just a lobbyist.
Drain the swamp. :roll:

No, my issue isn't whether he's an experienced, competent fellow (he's certainly more competent than lots of Trump appointees) but that he's a Trump loyalist, which means hiding the truth and "I'm just following orders".

You spent the first two years of Trump's tenure telling us not to worry about Trump because he had such outstanding people at Defense, at DNI, etc.
Esper was one of those outstanding people. He's been in the Trump Admin since 2017. Mattis selected him to lead the Army. He was the Trump Admin's first permanent Secy of the Army. He has served the vast majority of his career in govt service, in the military, in DoD jobs or as a Senate defense staffer for, among others, future SecDef Chuch Hagel. He has a long, distinguished DoD & GOP pedigree. You turn on anyone who makes the sacrifice to serve under Trump because you want Trump to fail & you don't care about the negative consequences for the country. The govt has to continue to function, regardless of who's the CinC.
Last edited by old salt on Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:59 am
foreverlax wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 am

NOPE.....I am the person that automatically thinks there are FOUR sides to every story. Does THAT seam black N white to you?
I never could speak fattylax or wheatfields or R3...I think I got some of your points as laxfatty....regardless.

I firmly believe in nuance, which is why no matter how hard some may try, I don't fit in a neat little box regarding my views.

TAATS - no, but 80% of the people can agree on 80% of the issues...assuming we are using the same facts.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:29 pm Cuomo says he is going to ask Trump this afternoon to turn the Comfort into a COVID-19 facility.
Still like the way Andrew is handling the whole deal. At least he leaves you feeling as if he's listening and doing everything that he feels is the right thing to do with the information he's given.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:54 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:48 pm The media hid FDR's paralysis his entire Presidency.
Not just FDR. Literally all presidents lie. Most every, if not every, politician lies. It's just a reality of the industry. With this said, Trump's lying is not like most anything we've seen before. Certainly in my life time. Politicians have had bigger lies. but in terms of how blatant the lies are and how often they're shared, Trump is off the charts.
BS.

The degree of pain he was in, probably not, but absolutely everyone knew he was in a wheel chair.
Some additional information on FDR and his polio from someone who is eminently more qualified to opine than either you or me - historian Geoffrey C Ward. It appears the press did not as actively contribute to the myth as Roosevelt and his handlers did in presenting the President to the public.

"The man who used a wheelchair and couldn’t get to the bathroom on his own “made everyone believe he stood up to greet them,” Mr. Ward said. “He was an absolute magician.”

The modern view “is to see a kind of conspiracy on the part of Franklin Roosevelt to hide the fact that he had this disability from the public,” Mr. Woolner said.

But he added that the public was well aware of his polio; there were fund-raisers every year for research into the disease. What the public didn’t know, he said, “was the extent of his disability,” his ability to put people at ease somehow convincing them that he had overcome it.

Political necessity required an image of strength and health while running for election as the country struggled with the Depression...."

Watch this clip from PBS series "The Roosevelts" and you will note that Ward nearly breaks down after describing Roosevelt's initial situation after contracting polio - Ward, it seems also contracted polio as a child.

You might also get some insight on leadership and how to project a positive image to people in a crisis when you're simultaneously in a personal crisis of your own and scraed sh*tless yourself

Yes, FDR was a flawed person (aren't we all in some ways) but IMHO he ably led the country through two of its greatest crises regardless of his personal shortcomings . Sadly for all of us, none of this applies to the current occupant of the WH.
Simple question -- did contemporary media show images of FDR in a wheelchair or not ?
so sez one of the shallowest suckups here. To quote you - TROLL!!!!!!!!!L :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Kismet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm
BS.

so sez one of the shallowest suckups here. To quote you - TROLL!!!!!!!!!L :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
From the FDR LIBRARY

FDR requested that the press avoid photographing him walking, maneuvering, or being transferred from his car. The stipulation was accepted by most reporters and photographers but periodically someone would not comply. The Secret Service was assigned to purposely interfere with anyone who tried to snap a photo of FDR in a “disabled or weak” state
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Boys, I know you're a little scared right now, a little fearful of the unknown, but one constant in life which should always make you sleep well at night is the free market always comes through! (see link...help is on the way). Advancements and improvements never rest.

Let's meet in Bmore this September for some crabs and beer. I'm buying (I saved a bundle on some bets I might have not won about the Hounds' defensive efficiency, so feeling a bit more flush than otherwise).

One asterisk: the Dow needs to be at 27,500 or higher for ten consecutive days. And, a limit of 4 of you (I'm not a friggin' charity, for pete's sake). I will even take resident libs; I need someone to make fund of. Let's go! :lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/who-say ... speed.html
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Not sure if anyone posted this, but a pretty interesting bit of privacy-obliterating corona-tracking from Spring Break:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/ ... orkers?amp
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm
BS.

You imagine yourself as Dolores Kearns Goodman, except you're even more tedious than she is.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:36 pm Boys, I know you're a little scared right now, a little fearful of the unknown, but one constant in life which should always make you sleep well at night is the free market always comes through! (see link...help is on the way). Advancements and improvements never rest.

Let's meet in Bmore this September for some crabs and beer. I'm buying (I saved a bundle on some bets I might have not won about the Hounds' defensive efficiency, so feeling a bit more flush than otherwise).

One asterisk: the Dow needs to be at 27,500 or higher for ten consecutive days. And, a limit of 4 of you (I'm not a friggin' charity, for pete's sake). I will even take resident libs; I need someone to make fund of. Let's go! :lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/who-say ... speed.html
Dow 27 by Sept...from your lips to any god's ears.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:41 pm You imagine yourself as Dolores Kearns Goodman, except you're even more tedious than she is.
What is your issue with "Dolores"? :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”