All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Peter Brown

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:02 pm
ggait wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:14 pm If you’re going to wear face masks, might I point out that you don’t need to wear them after you walk out of your local Target. Maybe in NYC, but you’re safe breathing regular air outside. In fact it’s healthier to breathe in air rather than taxing your lungs more.

I keep seeing people with masks on as they're loading their bags outside in parking lots, and keeping them on as they drive away....geez Louise. Maybe people aren’t as bright as I’d like to think.
Wrong. You should remove the mask when you can be cleaning your hands. Suppose you picked up some virus from the shopping cart handle? Moving those infected hands up to your face for mask removal is a super dumb thing to do Pete!

Also, people can still come close to you in the parking lot. Good idea to park your vehicle away from other vehicles. Good distancing for loading and you also get some extra steps in.

Best practice is to keep your mask AND gloves on until you return the cart to the corral. Then you can remove the mask AND gloves and drive away in your clean mobile social distancer.
This is correct. One of the benefits of wearing a mask is preventing the touching of one’s nose and mouth, two of the most important routes of coronavirus transmission.

DocBarrister

Relax, Francis.

Should we wear face masks when we get busy with our spouses?

Gtfooh. Statistics showing declining morbidity and infections.

Back to work!!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:16 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:14 pm If you’re going to wear face masks, might I point out that you don’t need to wear them after you walk out of your local Target. Maybe in NYC, but you’re safe breathing regular air outside. In fact it’s healthier to breathe in air rather than taxing your lungs more.

I keep seeing people with masks on as they're loading their bags outside in parking lots, and keeping them on as they drive away....geez Louise. Maybe people aren’t as bright as I’d like to think.
Wrong. You should remove the mask when you can be cleaning your hands. Suppose you picked up some virus from the shopping cart handle? Moving those infected hands up to your face for mask removal is a super dumb thing to do Pete!

Also, people can still come close to you in the parking lot. Good idea to park your vehicle away from other vehicles. Good distancing for loading and you also get some extra steps in.

Best practice is to keep your mask AND gloves on until you return the cart to the corral. Then you can remove the mask AND gloves and drive away in your clean mobile social distancer.
This is correct. One of the benefits of wearing a mask is preventing the touching of one’s nose and mouth, two of the most important routes of coronavirus transmission.

DocBarrister

Relax, Francis.

Back to work!!
Hasn’t your spouse suffered enough?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Another Reminder: Change This Thread Title

Post by DocBarrister »

The department’s Hate Crimes Task Force is seeking the woman who allegedly hit the Asian woman in the head with the umbrella.

Asians around the world have reported an increase in xenophobic incidents amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus sent a letter to colleagues on Feb. 26 urging them to “help prevent hysteria, ignorant attacks and racist assaults” against Asian Americans resulting from misinformation about the coronavirus.

... Authorities across the globe have spoken out against anti-Asian sentiments in recent weeks, including New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

“Right now, we've seen particularly troubling instances of discrimination directed at Asian communities, particularly in Chinese community,” de Blasio said last month. “This is unacceptable.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... y-n1177146

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:22 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:16 pm

DocBarrister

Relax, Francis.

Back to work!!
Hasn’t your spouse suffered enough?

DocBarrister

As a pure-bred Grade A Florida Republican hot piece of sunburnt a##, ‘suffering’ isn’t a feeling we endure for long. One life; live it! :lol:

Back to work!!
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:16 pm (much omitted)

Statistics showing declining morbidity and infections.

Back to work!!
Last five days on worldometer.info for US:

Daily NEW Cases (remember incomplete testing pretty much universally in US):

Code: Select all

3/31 24742
 4/1  26473
 4/2  29874
 4/3  32284
 4/4  34196

Deaths:

3/31  912
 4/1  1049
 4/2   974
 4/3  1045
 4/4  1331

No decline evident...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:43 pm

Back to work!!

3/31 24742
 4/1  26473
 4/2  29874
 4/3  32284
 4/4  34196

Deaths:

3/31  912
 4/1  1049
 4/2   974
 4/3  1045
 4/4  1331

No decline evident...

Red: even DocB has moved on to the ‘racism’ card.

Hydroxychloriquine and antibiotics appear to help. There is increasing evidence that the asymptomatic infection rate could be as much as 50X higher than expected.

Back to work!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DocBarrister
If you are like all the FLP folks that post here and your fingers are always up your ass scratching away, yer doomed anyway. Hey Doc, doesn't wearing a condom prevent 100% of all pregnancies as well? To quote the great bugs bunny... what a maroon. :P
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:03 pm

DocBarrister
If you are like all the FLP folks that post here and your fingers are always up your ass scratching away, yer doomed anyway. Hey Doc, doesn't wearing a condom prevent 100% of all pregnancies as well? To quote the great bugs bunny... what a maroon. :P

Lots of positive trends today, assuming you’re open to optimistic thought.

Gottlieb: “There are four main antibody programs underway in U.S. by Lilly, Regeneron, Vir, and Amgen. Regeneron may be furthest along and have the best chance of doing this at the scale required. We need to place bets. This is a time for focus on possible winners, move them quickly along.”
a fan

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

I'm OVERJOYED to hear about serious progress on vaccines or drug treatments that can kill this )*#)$*)fing virus.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:24 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:03 pm

DocBarrister

Lots of positive trends today, assuming you’re open to optimistic thought.

Gottlieb: “There are four main antibody programs underway in U.S. by Lilly, Regeneron, Vir, and Amgen. Regeneron may be furthest along and have the best chance of doing this at the scale required. We need to place bets. This is a time for focus on possible winners, move them quickly along.”
My wife is THE most anal retentive person in the world IMO when it comes to precautions about this virus. If she thought wearing a face mask made a difference, we would be wearing them. A side note we noticed when we went shopping Saturday how many were wearing those blue gloves. We also noticed how many blue gloves that these assholes threw on the ground by their cars before they got in. WHO HAS TO PICK UP THESE GLOVES?? You folks are having this conversation as if you were dealing with normal, somewhat intelligent people. We are dealing with way too many F***ing idiots out there . Ron White has stated it very clearly... YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID. :roll:
Ron White:
If I could offer one piece of advice to the planet, it would be this: Don't marry for looks alone, and I'll tell you why. In a few years, when Barbara's breasts start sagging, she can get plastic surgery, have them lifted, move the nipple wherever. You can actually go to a titty bar, pick out a set of titties and say, "I want those titties on that woman." If her belly gets too big, she can get a tummy tuck and have a belly like a cheerleader. If her vision goes bad, you can have LASIK surgery and have 20/20 vision. If her hearing goes bad, they can install a device in her ear that will give you hearing as clear as it was the day you were born. But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever.
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:53 pm

Back to work!!

3/31 24742
 4/1  26473
 4/2  29874
 4/3  32284
 4/4  34196

Deaths:

3/31  912
 4/1  1049
 4/2   974
 4/3  1045
 4/4  1331

No decline evident...

Hydroxychloriquine and antibiotics appear to help. There is increasing evidence that the asymptomatic infection rate could be as much as 50X higher than expected.

Back to work!
it would be awesome if we end up finding out asymptomatic is some huge number multiple than what we know now.
accurate testing, in volume, is what holds every single country back. chinese info didn't help, but almost every country is complicit in not being ready in full. a consequence of 40 plus years until an h1n1 pandemic that then peetered.
no urgency to be prepared.
everyone had the science in jan to the dna of it and start a program of testing preparation.
wow was everyone unprepared.
california? they took in 8000 people per day both to and fro from china for months. their numbers make no sense to me with the transmissability of this disease without the asymptomatic number being eons higher.
if someone were to make a bet with me on infections when this is over, i'd give a huge berth on the over/under.
i hope that's the case. it means we are catching a wave, yes, but it's the wave that comes with one of our few outs -- immunity.

as soon as we can get a test ready to
discover antibodies for who has had it, take 10 communities and test everyone. asap. if this isn't being done elsewhere or can't be elsewhere, do it all here.
stop putting band aids and chasing, get ahead of this on information.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:44 am
Trinity wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:12 am Trump was briefed Jan 3. Again on January 18. Limited travel ban on Wuhan was, what, Jan 29?
To be fair, the Chinese implemented their own travel ban Jan 23rd in Wuhan, as tens of thousands were being identified fast. They had confirmed that it was a new coronavirus on Jan 7, should have locked down then or earlier, but were slow off the mark. We think they underreported their #'s at each stage of this, but we knew the #'s they were publicly reporting were big and growing very fast. And our IC was apparently very clear that the situation was very dire in China.

We should have been focused on preparing for testing those first weeks, but once the Chinese actually hit the panic button we definitely knew that this could be huge if it had already gotten out of China, which anyone with access to travel data could have swiftly predicted as a near certainty. The Federal gov't has such data. They knew.

January 28 we had already found two cases in the US, January 30 we had first confirmed community spread in the US. Of course, that had already begun in multiple areas of the US, just undetected.

So, while the Jan 29 ban was correct to do, it was already much too late to be relied upon as sufficient.

Miserable.
When did the WHO or the Chinese provide to the CDC, the first samples & data necessary for the CDC to begin developing test kits ?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Back to work!!

3/31 24742
 4/1  26473
 4/2  29874
 4/3  32284
 4/4  34196

Deaths:

3/31  912
 4/1  1049
 4/2   974
 4/3  1045
 4/4  1331

No decline evident...

Back to work!
it would be awesome if we end up finding out asymptomatic is some huge number multiple than what we know now.
accurate testing, in volume, is what holds every single country back. chinese info didn't help, but almost every country is complicit in not being ready in full. a consequence of 40 plus years until an h1n1 pandemic that then peetered.
everyone had the science in jan to the dna of it and start a program of testing preparation.
california? they took in 8000 people per day both to and fro from china for months. their numbers make no sense to me with the transmissability of this disease without the asymptomatic number being eons higher.
if someone were to make a bet with me on infections when this is over, i'd give a huge berth on the over/under.
i hope that's the case. it means we are catching a wave, yes, but it's the wave that comes with one of our few outs -- immunity.

discover antibodies for who has had it, take 10 communities and test everyone. asap. if this isn't being done elsewhere or can't be elsewhere, do it all here.
I would love to say that is happening, but the approach of the people in charge is still mostly reaction. Testing STILL is a disaster in terms of availability (daughter's hospital gets results in about 5 days).

And no matter what promise there is in antivirals - there is not a lot of likelihood that this will be effective in tamping down the first wave (for most places through Jun 1). So anyone expecting to see a change (except for tightening) in social distancing before then is likely to be disappointed.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 pm
Trinity wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:12 am Trump was briefed Jan 3. Again on January 18. Limited travel ban on Wuhan was, what, Jan 29?
To be fair, the Chinese implemented their own travel ban Jan 23rd in Wuhan, as tens of thousands were being identified fast. They had confirmed that it was a new coronavirus on Jan 7, should have locked down then or earlier, but were slow off the mark. We think they underreported their #'s at each stage of this, but we knew the #'s they were publicly reporting were big and growing very fast. And our IC was apparently very clear that the situation was very dire in China.

We should have been focused on preparing for testing those first weeks, but once the Chinese actually hit the panic button we definitely knew that this could be huge if it had already gotten out of China, which anyone with access to travel data could have swiftly predicted as a near certainty. The Federal gov't has such data. They knew.

January 28 we had already found two cases in the US, January 30 we had first confirmed community spread in the US. Of course, that had already begun in multiple areas of the US, just undetected.

So, while the Jan 29 ban was correct to do, it was already much too late to be relied upon as sufficient.

Miserable.
When did the WHO or the Chinese provide to the CDC, the first samples & data necessary for the CDC to begin developing test kits ?
early january
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... now-deadly
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Back to work!!

3/31 24742
 4/1  26473
 4/2  29874
 4/3  32284
 4/4  34196

Deaths:

3/31  912
 4/1  1049
 4/2   974
 4/3  1045
 4/4  1331

No decline evident...

Back to work!

I would love to say that is happening, but the approach of the people in charge is still mostly reaction. Testing STILL is a disaster in terms of availability (daughter's hospital gets results in about 5 days).

And no matter what promise there is in antivirals - there is not a lot of likelihood that this will be effective in tamping down the first wave (for most places through Jun 1). So anyone expecting to see a change (except for tightening) in social distancing before then is likely to be disappointed.
It’s amazing that the USA is the only country on the planet that sharply reduced economic activity. Our leaders are really dumb. Particularly the scientists. What do they know. It’s overblown. Let’s get the peasants back to work.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Miserable.
Roughly mid Jan for sequence release (from China). Not sure of samples - but further info from France:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 114748.htm
On January 24, 2020, the French Ministry of Health confirmed the first three cases of patients affected by the Wuhan coronavirus. On January 29, 2020, the Institut Pasteur, which is responsible for monitoring respiratory viruses in France, sequenced the whole genome of the coronavirus known as "2019-nCoV," becoming the first institution in Europe to sequence the virus since the start of the outbreak. The virus was sequenced at the Institut Pasteur's Mutualized Platform for Microbiology (P2M), which performs genome sequencing on bacterial, viral, fungal and parasite strains received by National Reference Centers and World Health Organization Collaborating Centers for the purpose of infectious disease surveillance.

In December 2019, an outbreak of apparently viral pneumonia of unknown etiology emerged in the city of Wuhan, in the Chinese province of Hubei.

On January 9, 2020, the Chinese health authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO) announced the discovery of a novel coronavirus, known as 2019-nCoV, which was confirmed as the agent responsible for the pneumonia cases.

Over the weekend of January 11-12, the Chinese authorities shared the full sequence of the coronavirus genome, as detected in samples taken from the first patients. "Sequencing the genome of pathogens is crucial for the development of specific diagnostic tests and the identification of potential treatment options," explains Sylvie van der Werf, Director of the National Reference Center (CNR) for Respiratory Viruses at the Institut Pasteur.

Friday January 24, 2020. Detection of the virus confirmed in France

On Friday January 24, late in the morning, the Institut Pasteur received samples of three suspected cases (two patients in Paris and one in Bordeaux). "Using the samples taken from these patients, we detected the novel coronavirus," says Sylvie Behillil, Deputy Director of the CNR at the Institut Pasteur.

From Friday January 24, 2020. Viral genome sequenced at the Institut Pasteur

That same Friday evening, scientists launched the process of sequencing the viral genome based on the samples. The CNR prepared the material for sequencing, ready for P2M to begin work immediately the following Monday. The sequencing run was completed by early evening on the Tuesday, and the scientists used data analysis to obtain the sequence of the whole genome in two of the first three confirmed cases in France. "This proves the efficacy of the CNR's process of analysis based on viral sequencing," continues Vincent Enouf.

Thursday January 30, 2020. The Institut Pasteur obtains and shares the whole sequence of the virus

The P2M platform (see below) currently performs at an extremely high level; the average time taken to produce sequences ranges from three days (for emergencies) to a maximum of ten days. In this case, it took just three days for the whole sequence to be determined: "We performed data analysis during the night from Tuesday to Wednesday, then corroborated the results on Wednesday with counter analysis," explains Vincent Enouf. "The whole sequence was confirmed in just three days."

What can we learn from it? "The sequences were identical in all our samples. One member of the couple must have contaminated the other, as the virus is the same." The two full sequences of the virus isolated in two of the first French cases were submitted to the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID) platform, which was initially developed to share sequences and monitor the genetic evolution of influenza viruses, a process that is vital to determine the composition of the influenza vaccine. A special "coronavirus" tab has been created so that the scientific community can work together and advance at a quicker pace.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Certainly make you wonder why Fauci, on 21-JAN, still articulated it as not much to worry about.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:50 pm

Miserable.
Roughly mid Jan for sequence release (from China). Not sure of samples - but further info from France:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 114748.htm
On January 24, 2020, the French Ministry of Health confirmed the first three cases of patients affected by the Wuhan coronavirus. On January 29, 2020, the Institut Pasteur, which is responsible for monitoring respiratory viruses in France, sequenced the whole genome of the coronavirus known as "2019-nCoV," becoming the first institution in Europe to sequence the virus since the start of the outbreak. The virus was sequenced at the Institut Pasteur's Mutualized Platform for Microbiology (P2M), which performs genome sequencing on bacterial, viral, fungal and parasite strains received by National Reference Centers and World Health Organization Collaborating Centers for the purpose of infectious disease surveillance.

In December 2019, an outbreak of apparently viral pneumonia of unknown etiology emerged in the city of Wuhan, in the Chinese province of Hubei.

On January 9, 2020, the Chinese health authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO) announced the discovery of a novel coronavirus, known as 2019-nCoV, which was confirmed as the agent responsible for the pneumonia cases.

Over the weekend of January 11-12, the Chinese authorities shared the full sequence of the coronavirus genome, as detected in samples taken from the first patients. "Sequencing the genome of pathogens is crucial for the development of specific diagnostic tests and the identification of potential treatment options," explains Sylvie van der Werf, Director of the National Reference Center (CNR) for Respiratory Viruses at the Institut Pasteur.

Friday January 24, 2020. Detection of the virus confirmed in France

On Friday January 24, late in the morning, the Institut Pasteur received samples of three suspected cases (two patients in Paris and one in Bordeaux). "Using the samples taken from these patients, we detected the novel coronavirus," says Sylvie Behillil, Deputy Director of the CNR at the Institut Pasteur.

From Friday January 24, 2020. Viral genome sequenced at the Institut Pasteur

That same Friday evening, scientists launched the process of sequencing the viral genome based on the samples. The CNR prepared the material for sequencing, ready for P2M to begin work immediately the following Monday. The sequencing run was completed by early evening on the Tuesday, and the scientists used data analysis to obtain the sequence of the whole genome in two of the first three confirmed cases in France. "This proves the efficacy of the CNR's process of analysis based on viral sequencing," continues Vincent Enouf.

Thursday January 30, 2020. The Institut Pasteur obtains and shares the whole sequence of the virus

The P2M platform (see below) currently performs at an extremely high level; the average time taken to produce sequences ranges from three days (for emergencies) to a maximum of ten days. In this case, it took just three days for the whole sequence to be determined: "We performed data analysis during the night from Tuesday to Wednesday, then corroborated the results on Wednesday with counter analysis," explains Vincent Enouf. "The whole sequence was confirmed in just three days."

What can we learn from it? "The sequences were identical in all our samples. One member of the couple must have contaminated the other, as the virus is the same." The two full sequences of the virus isolated in two of the first French cases were submitted to the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID) platform, which was initially developed to share sequences and monitor the genetic evolution of influenza viruses, a process that is vital to determine the composition of the influenza vaccine. A special "coronavirus" tab has been created so that the scientific community can work together and advance at a quicker pace.
The Chinese let us down. We were counting on them to show leadership. I am disappointed.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:54 pm Certainly make you wonder why Fauci, on 21-JAN, still articulated it as not much to worry about.
The video was edited. You think Fauci is dumb or the full context wasn’t provided?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

No, I believe I answered that yesterday.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”