2018 Midterm Elections

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: 2018 Midterm Elections

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlax....

.....nothing you wrote made any sense.

But, at least you kept to 100 words, or less.

I like stories.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
old salt

Post by old salt »

Why should the Russian's bother to meddle ? They've always got Broward & Palm Beach Counties.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Republicans no longer have a single House seat in New England

Following Democrat Jared Golden's victory over Rep. Bruce Poliquin in Maine's 2nd district on Thursday, Republicans now hold zero House seats in New England and only one Senate seat — Maine's Susan Collins, who's up for re-election in 2020.

The big picture: Republicans lost big in moderate suburban districts in the 2018 midterms, and even ceded ground in deep-red rural districts that voted for Trump in 2016. The flip in Maine's 2nd blue-collar district "filled with forests, lobsters, and blueberries," could be an indicator that the GOP's shift to the right has alienated moderate Republicans in the northeast, the Boston Globe writes.

https://www.axios.com/republicans-no-lo ... bbd88.html

Another victory for the more patriotic party!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote:Why should the Russian's bother to meddle ? They've always got Broward & Palm Beach Counties.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yep. Broward hand recount shows many D voters just skipped the Senate vote entirely, almost certainly because they didn't notice it at the bottom of the first column, which was mostly instructions that no one actually reads … So the Broward Ds screwed their own party with a badly designed ballot …

Sounds vaguely familiar ...
ggait

Post by ggait »

CU77 wrote:Yep. Broward hand recount shows many D voters just skipped the Senate vote entirely, almost certainly because they didn't notice it at the bottom of the first column, which was mostly instructions that no one actually reads … So the Broward Ds screwed their own party with a badly designed ballot …

Sounds vaguely familiar ...
Do we know who exactly gets to design and approve the ballot in Broward? That very well may have been an outcome determinative screw up in that Senate race.

Regardless of whether the ballot was the handiwork of Rs, Ds or both, it was probably Hanlon's razor -- stupidity not malice.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote: If you are a CDL licensed truck driver you don't operate under "states rights" in the state you live in. You play by the rules of the DOT and they over rule whatever your state wants. You want to smoke weed in Colorado don't pee dirty in a random drug test. You go tell the folks at the DOT that weed is legal in Colorado. They will not so politely tell you to eff off and surrender your license and lose your job. How that relates to our elections, what is the problem with all 50 states being held to a certain set of standards as to how you can vote for candidates in your state for FEDERAL office? That is not telling them how to run their elections it is giving a clear set of guidelines as to how this voting will work. This is the kind of sheet that our government loves to do. Give out rules and make sure they are applied equally in every state. It works for regulating truckers it should work for making all elections for federal government done on a level playing field. That still leaves every state to foul up their local elections to their hearts content.
Except CDLs are issued by states and they all have different tests. In fact here's a thread going over the easiest state to get a CDL in - https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truck ... dl.288401/

Because of the prevalence of trucking (and regular driving), states generally recognize licenses from all other states, but you're expected follow the rules of the roads of the states (or counties or municipalities) you're driving in. Kind of similar to a number of concealed carry permit states recognizing licenses from other states.

There is a lot more to it because of interstate commerce and weed being illegal federally, but it's not as federally regulated as it may seem on the outside.
CDL licenses are issued by states The regulations are enforced by the DOT. You go pee dirty on a random test and see if your state backs you up. Same thing with the hours you are allowed to drive. The states don't determine that those are DOT regulations. Colorado can't allow its drivers to run 16 hours a day. Electronic logs in most trucking companies will shut your rig down if a driver is out of hours. Any thtread that wants to tell you that any state is easier than any other to get a CDL they are blowing smoke up your arse my friend. Every state has to follow DOT standards when issuing Medical Examiners Certificates. There is no state that can bypass what the DOT standards are for being fit enough to drive a rig. Dot standards will always take precedent because of the large number of truckers that drive long haul from one state to another. If you have ever been stuck at a DOT roadside inspection they are not inspecting your truck by state regulations... you have to be in compliance with Federal DOT safety regulations. These regulations do not vary from state to state they are what the feds say that they are. I have a CDL Class A license in NYS. It expires the first of January and I won't renew but I know how the game is played.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

So great that these gifted young ladies are bringing back the New Deal. Life in the USA is so much better with that type of politics going on.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote:
holmes435 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote: If you are a CDL licensed truck driver you don't operate under "states rights" in the state you live in. You play by the rules of the DOT and they over rule whatever your state wants. You want to smoke weed in Colorado don't pee dirty in a random drug test. You go tell the folks at the DOT that weed is legal in Colorado. They will not so politely tell you to eff off and surrender your license and lose your job. How that relates to our elections, what is the problem with all 50 states being held to a certain set of standards as to how you can vote for candidates in your state for FEDERAL office? That is not telling them how to run their elections it is giving a clear set of guidelines as to how this voting will work. This is the kind of sheet that our government loves to do. Give out rules and make sure they are applied equally in every state. It works for regulating truckers it should work for making all elections for federal government done on a level playing field. That still leaves every state to foul up their local elections to their hearts content.
Except CDLs are issued by states and they all have different tests. In fact here's a thread going over the easiest state to get a CDL in - https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truck ... dl.288401/

Because of the prevalence of trucking (and regular driving), states generally recognize licenses from all other states, but you're expected follow the rules of the roads of the states (or counties or municipalities) you're driving in. Kind of similar to a number of concealed carry permit states recognizing licenses from other states.

There is a lot more to it because of interstate commerce and weed being illegal federally, but it's not as federally regulated as it may seem on the outside.
CDL licenses are issued by states The regulations are enforced by the DOT. You go pee dirty on a random test and see if your state backs you up. Same thing with the hours you are allowed to drive. The states don't determine that those are DOT regulations. Colorado can't allow its drivers to run 16 hours a day. Electronic logs in most trucking companies will shut your rig down if a driver is out of hours. Any thtread that wants to tell you that any state is easier than any other to get a CDL they are blowing smoke up your arse my friend. Every state has to follow DOT standards when issuing Medical Examiners Certificates. There is no state that can bypass what the DOT standards are for being fit enough to drive a rig. Dot standards will always take precedent because of the large number of truckers that drive long haul from one state to another. If you have ever been stuck at a DOT roadside inspection they are not inspecting your truck by state regulations... you have to be in compliance with Federal DOT safety regulations. These regulations do not vary from state to state they are what the feds say that they are. I have a CDL Class A license in NYS. It expires the first of January and I won't renew but I know how the game is played.
You also can't get a long haul license until age 21.

https://www.rcgauto.com/blog/lowering-t ... l-drivers/

I was having a glass with one of Hopkins all-time great attackmen, who owns one of the most successful long haul trucking co's in the US. He happens to be my next door neighbor as well. He said that his company's biggest challenge is finding and keeping competent long haul drivers, despite having the top pay rates in the industry apparently. His company's standards are higher than many of his competitors, which narrows the potential hires, but his fundamental point was that for these high=paying jobs, there simply are not enough applicants who can pass the testing and remain so. Very high turnover of the new people they bring in, despite tremendous spending on recruiting and retention.

This is a job which does not require higher education to perform, yet pays very well.

One of the problems, he told me, is that the typical HS graduate leaving school is not eligible to become a long haul driver. They don't become eligible until age 21. No one is recruiting those young people out of high school explaining the potential career opportunity (if you're clean of drugs and are responsible). There's no apprenticeship. So youngsters enter other fields instead.

Where they do have higher success is recruitment from those leaving the military. But it still is very difficult due to the challenges of drug use.

Obviously, DOT's involvement is constitutional because it involves interstate commerce. You can get a State license and do in-state work, but once it involves interstate, the Feds have responsibility for harmonizing the rules that States must apply.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Orange Co, California's new political landscape:

Quite a grand sight - all patriots agree. :D

Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Reagan Country.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Back on LP, I predicted this would happen after the Republican tax "cut" actually raised taxes on most Orange County residents.

California is the future. The country is following the California script: elect a Republican clown from the entertainment industry as chief executive, figure out that was not such a great idea after all, and then elect a whole bunch of Democrats. (Though to be fair to Ahnold, he was about a million times better than OD, and made a serious effort at actual governing.)
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:
holmes435 wrote:

I was having a glass with one of Hopkins all-time great attackmen, who owns one of the most successful long haul trucking co's in the US. He happens to be my next door neighbor as well. He said that his company's biggest challenge is finding and keeping competent long haul drivers, despite having the top pay rates in the industry apparently. His company's standards are higher than many of his competitors, which narrows the potential hires, but his fundamental point was that for these high=paying jobs, there simply are not enough applicants who can pass the testing and remain so. Very high turnover of the new people they bring in, despite tremendous spending on recruiting and retention.

This is a job which does not require higher education to perform, yet pays very well.

One of the problems, he told me, is that the typical HS graduate leaving school is not eligible to become a long haul driver. They don't become eligible until age 21. No one is recruiting those young people out of high school explaining the potential career opportunity (if you're clean of drugs and are responsible). There's no apprenticeship. So youngsters enter other fields instead.

Where they do have higher success is recruitment from those leaving the military. But it still is very difficult due to the challenges of drug use.

Obviously, DOT's involvement is constitutional because it involves interstate commerce. You can get a State license and do in-state work, but once it involves interstate, the Feds have responsibility for harmonizing the rules that States must apply.
He should start recruiting at military pre-seperation & pre-retriement seminars, while separating vets are still drug free.
There are 20 year retirees as young as 38 years old, with a pension that needs supplementing.
The best network is via word of mouth. Pay a bonus to vets already on the payroll who recruit new hires from their old units.
Get the word out via the senior NCO network.
a fan

Post by a fan »

FYI, there's a really wonderful social network set up for Vets for the US brewing and distilling industry. We've picked up some fantastic part timers through the network.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Brooklyn wrote:Orange Co, California's new political landscape:

Quite a grand sight - all patriots agree. :D
Even more reason to let California secede... The bluer they get the less of a burden they are on 56 other states... Those calculations are based on BHO math... :D Viva la California... freedom for the good people of California... smoke dope it's your only hope. That can be your new state motto. Goodbye California... don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out of America... :D
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Oh, we will be more than happy to go and take our money with us.
The data demonstrate the sheer immensity of California's economy, home to nearly 40 million people, a thriving technology sector in Silicon Valley, the world's entertainment capital in Hollywood and the nation's salad bowl in the Central Valley agricultural heartland. It also reflects a substantial turnaround since the Great Recession.
California's economic output is now surpassed only by the total GDP of the United States, China, Japan and Germany. The state has 12 percent of the U.S. population but contributed 16 percent of the country's job growth between 2012 and 2017. Its share of the national economy also grew from 12.8 percent to 14.2 percent over that five-year period, according to state economists.

California's strong economic performance relative to other industrialized economies is driven by worker productivity, said Lee Ohanian, an economics professor at University of California, Los Angeles and director of UCLA's Ettinger Family Program in Macroeconomic Research. The United Kingdom has 25 million more people than California but now has a smaller GDP, he said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california ... t-economy/

Sadly for us, even Trump is not stupid enough to let California go without a fight. That's why we need Washington to come with us (and OK Oregon can join too) and bring at least two of the nuke-armed subs docked in Bangor to go along.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:
holmes435 wrote:

He should start recruiting at military pre-seperation & pre-retriement seminars, while separating vets are still drug free.
There are 20 year retirees as young as 38 years old, with a pension that needs supplementing.
The best network is via word of mouth. Pay a bonus to vets already on the payroll who recruit new hires from their old units.
Get the word out via the senior NCO network.
Yes, that is what I think they’re doing.
But very hard apparently to find enough.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU77 wrote:Oh, we will be more than happy to go and take our money with us.
The data demonstrate the sheer immensity of California's economy, home to nearly 40 million people, a thriving technology sector in Silicon Valley, the world's entertainment capital in Hollywood and the nation's salad bowl in the Central Valley agricultural heartland. It also reflects a substantial turnaround since the Great Recession.
California's economic output is now surpassed only by the total GDP of the United States, China, Japan and Germany. The state has 12 percent of the U.S. population but contributed 16 percent of the country's job growth between 2012 and 2017. Its share of the national economy also grew from 12.8 percent to 14.2 percent over that five-year period, according to state economists.

California's strong economic performance relative to other industrialized economies is driven by worker productivity, said Lee Ohanian, an economics professor at University of California, Los Angeles and director of UCLA's Ettinger Family Program in Macroeconomic Research. The United Kingdom has 25 million more people than California but now has a smaller GDP, he said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california ... t-economy/

Sadly for us, even Trump is not stupid enough to let California go without a fight. That's why we need Washington to come with us (and OK Oregon can join too) and bring at least two of the nuke-armed subs docked in Bangor to go along.
Adios amigo... take all your money. When your new country turns to shirt just don't come asking for help. Our new flag will look fine with 49 stars. ;)
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

this is how the Republicans "win" every election:

Steven Greenhouse
@greenhousenyt

Outrageous Gerrymandering in Wisconsin:

Democrats received 1.31 million votes for the Wisconsin State Assembly (54%), while Republicans received 1.1 million votes for the Assembly (46%)

YET Republicans won 63 Assembly seats while Democrats won just 36

https://isthmus.com/news/news/dems-swee ... -assembly/

Yup. DeMOCKcracy in action ...

Return to “POLITICS”