All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:52 pm
Trinity wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 pm Why are you spiking this football again and again? It was way too little, incomplete, incoherent. And then he golfed and rallied for the month of February while other countries got busy.
Because the clown car on the left continues to insist they knew. We all knew.

So the task force and the alphabet soup of healthcare and intelligence agencies did nothing for ALL of February.

Fire them all then they're useless.
If the South Koreans knew, then we should have known.

Someone in Trump’s administration could have just picked up the phone and gotten some tips on how to handle the pandemic.

Instead, they did nothing.

NEGLIGENT.

MASS.

HOMICIDE.

Those three words describe Trump’s catastrophic failure.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:47 pm yeah, i had briefly seen heart and retinal and assumed there were others.
i don't expect it to be at the local rite aid.
The diabetes is a huge one, so is heart.
Yet, our POTUS is saying to people "what's the harm"...
Speaking of the heart...and this virus/situation we are all in.

Interesting tidbit. Dr. has me on the lowest dosage of an ACE for pre-hypertension. I have not taken it in 4 days and have monitored my BP multiple times each day at roughly the same time each day. it is dang near the same or even lower without it....the only difference, no traffic, sleeping in a bit later, emails are less than 100 each day, and the cell phone barely rings any more. I have not changed diet or exercise routines....probably slipped a bit on the diet with both kids home.

Interesting how nature and the chaos of our careers can influence our health. I suppose we all know that already, just sharing how slowing down allows us to reveal a bit more that we often overlook.
Good luck with it; I do recommend focusing on the eating and exercise (except for the splurge with the kids!)...in addition to the obvious long-term benefits, controlling the little things in our lives, when so much is not within our control, can further help with stress. Sleep is very important as well, and I know I've found that actually easier to do in this less hectic period...though I do still have those middle of the night wake-ups with mind racing...but I had that issue just as much pre-this mess.

Be well.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Probably only 25% of shoppers at Costco today going commando (no gloves or mask). People definitely giving each other lots and lots of leeway in the aisles. Checkers all behind plexiglass and not touching bills or cards. And giving the commandos nasty glances.

Big line outside the liquor store. Apparently “pantsdrunk” being practiced extensively.

Very different vibe than a few days ago.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Over 1,000 deaths today and 35,000 New cases. Yesterday was 30K new cases, 25K the day before. (50% are in NY/NJ.) On target for 1M by mid-April.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:49 pm Over 1,000 deaths today and 35,000 New cases. Yesterday was 30K new cases, 25K the day before. (50% are in NY/NJ.) On target for 1M by mid-April.
worldometer had 34.2 today, 32.2 yesterday and 29.87 the day before. what are you referencing?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:46 pm Probably only 25% of shoppers at Costco today going commando (no gloves or mask). People definitely giving each other lots and lots of leeway in the aisles. Checkers all behind plexiglass and not touching bills or cards. And giving the commandos nasty glances.

Big line outside the liquor store. Apparently “pantsdrunk” being practiced extensively.

Very different vibe than a few days ago.
I don’t know if I can endorse this change in the meaning of commando. Can we find another term so I can keep that one for its true meaning?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:43 pm
Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:40 pm Health people are working and statisticians could easily handle this data at home with a laptop.
This is the information age - get with it "a fan".
And who is going to enter this information at the hospitals and send it to the people at home?

I'm telling you, communication is broken, and is not functioning like it was before the crisis.

You should bear this is mind when you hear information from news sources. Just trying to help. If you don't believe me....okay.

Because we are making hundreds of gallons hand sanitizer, we're in direct conversation with Hospital Administrators. And I'm telling you that for the places that have covid patients, all their systems are overwhelmed, and not functioning in a normal way.
I can confirm that the communication is broken. Systems not setup to track the right information, not enough people to input the data, information request moving too fast for IT to keep up, and HIPPA.

I'll give you 2 examples:
1. We have a top notch county health department. They have been trying to put together a hospital dashboard to track Covid related admissions, census, ventilator use, etc. This is for local EMS and EMC to track. Been 2 weeks, still waiting.

2. County health department is tracking all testing and positive cases. Will not release locations to local EMS - Hippa issue. Now tracking it themselves on Google Sheets by calling each other and high risk facilities each day.

It seems like it should be really easy, right? But it's not and it take time.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:12 pm It seems that the pandemic experts agree that, until we have a widely available vaccine this thing will stick around until a critical mass of people have survived the virus and become immune. That critical mass is over 180 million survivors here in the US. At that point we can just let it run its course!

Unless we find a widely available therapy for this virus, the only way to handle a (low but debilitating) percentage of infections that go critical is an ICU bed with a ventilator and full time pro staff. These are in finite supply, so current mitigation measures like social distancing are merely kicking the can down the road, and efforts to install more beds-with-ventilators just allow us to manage a higher through-put of CoVid 19 patients so we can get past this with minimal loss of life.

As we build up our capacity to deal with critical cases, we can loosen activity controls. When we can hospitalize millions of COVID 19 patients simultaneously along with our normal list of very sick people, we can release controls and resume normal economic activity.

To quote the (easy to read) article:https://medium.com/@wpegden/a-call-to-h ... 156686a64b

"Nations around the world are staring down a host of terrible options. Business-as-usual means overrun hospitals, and large numbers of preventable deaths. One or two years of suppression measures in wait for a vaccine means a global shutdown......."

Yikes!
It's inevitable. The less vulnerable herd is going to be allowed to roam free as soon as the curve starts to descend & a resurgence does not immediately snap back. With only a 20% survival rate for at risk on ventilators, even unlimited ventilators (with adequate trained operators) make it a losing proposition.

We in the at risk population are on our own, & will continue to be, until a vaccine is available. Hopefully the malaria med will be approved as a proph & Rx'd to we at risk. Until then, we'll have to hunker down & take precautions, only venturing out for minimally reqd grocery runs.

Looks like the ventilator rate could be even lower. China stat was 3 of 22. Best case (washington) was 30%.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... 9-patients
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DocBarrister

South Korea vs. United States

Post by DocBarrister »

April 4, 2020

South Korea
President Moon Jae-In
Competent, intelligent, decisive leadership
81 new cases, 6 additional deaths

United States
President Donald J. Trump
Moronic, lying piece of trash whose stupidity is matched only by his supporters
34,196 new cases, 1,331 additional deaths

Both nations had their first confirmed coronavirus case on January 20, 2020.

STUPID KILLS

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:15 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:49 pm Over 1,000 deaths today and 35,000 New cases. Yesterday was 30K new cases, 25K the day before. (50% are in NY/NJ.) On target for 1M by mid-April.
worldometer had 34.2 today, 32.2 yesterday and 29.87 the day before. what are you referencing?
Different organizations who are doing the counting are located in different time zones around the world. Daily counts are taken at midnight local time, it seems. Sites that have exactly the same source data will likely come up with different daily counts because of the definition of when a day begins / ends. The numbers I have been using for "daily deaths" is at GMT. These tend to be slightly smaller numbers than JHU numbers while we are moving up curve and will be slightly more when we move down curve.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
CU77

Post by CU77 »

How the Trump administration has stood in the way of PPE distribution

States are competing for supplies, and manufacturers aren’t sure who to ship PPE to first.
https://www.vox.com/2020/4/4/21208122/p ... ion-states
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We still need to remember this is a human thing without borders I guess when stories like this one pops up (assuming it’s true, I get this feed and some of its good some of its faux science-ish)

https://themindunleashed.com/2020/03/it ... Vx5lmBkEg4
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:18 am We still need to remember this is a human thing without borders I guess when stories like this one pops up (assuming it’s true, I get this feed and some of its good some of its faux science-ish)

https://themindunleashed.com/2020/03/it ... Vx5lmBkEg4
Tragic does not even begin to describe the terrible fate of this young Italian nurse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

STUPID KILLS: Trump the Toddler

Post by DocBarrister »

In January, when Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar first tried to brief President Trump about the coronavirus threat, the president got distracted and wanted to talk about vaping instead. That same month, Trump told a CNBC reporter that he was not worried about a pandemic; by March, he was claiming, “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.” After declaring a national emergency, Trump fumed about the images of empty airports and grounded planes on television. He has publicly compared his poll numbers with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s. He has responded to anodyne questions from reporters by saying they are “nasty” and demanding that journalists “be nice.”

In other words, not even a crisis as massive as the novel coronavirus has stopped the president from behaving like a cranky toddler.

Trump’s toddler traits have significantly hampered America’s response to the pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... story.html

STUPID KILLS

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
6ftstick

Re: STUPID KILLS: Trump the Toddler

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:12 am In January, when Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar first tried to brief President Trump about the coronavirus threat, the president got distracted and wanted to talk about vaping instead. That same month, Trump told a CNBC reporter that he was not worried about a pandemic; by March, he was claiming, “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.” After declaring a national emergency, Trump fumed about the images of empty airports and grounded planes on television. He has publicly compared his poll numbers with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s. He has responded to anodyne questions from reporters by saying they are “nasty” and demanding that journalists “be nice.”

In other words, not even a crisis as massive as the novel coronavirus has stopped the president from behaving like a cranky toddler.

Trump’s toddler traits have significantly hampered America’s response to the pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... story.html

STUPID KILLS

DocBarrister
Nice article. Not a single attribution. No corroboration. More BS opinion from an anti-Trump publication that guaranteed Trump was a Russian agent for 3 years.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:27 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:52 pm
Trinity wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 pm Why are you spiking this football again and again? It was way too little, incomplete, incoherent. And then he golfed and rallied for the month of February while other countries got busy.
Because the clown car on the left continues to insist they knew. We all knew.

So the task force and the alphabet soup of healthcare and intelligence agencies did nothing for ALL of February.

Fire them all then they're useless.
If the South Koreans knew, then we should have known.

Someone in Trump’s administration could have just picked up the phone and gotten some tips on how to handle the pandemic.

Instead, they did nothing.

NEGLIGENT.

MASS.

HOMICIDE.

Those three words describe Trump’s catastrophic failure.

DocBarrister
Coulda shoulda woulda. You haven't clue what was happening by a full task force of health professionals.

Negligent Mass Homicide describe CHINAS catastrophic failure.

You should be proud of the Chinese doc they're selling the world what they need to fight the virus China released on the world. But the world has to purchase all their 5G from Huawei—the Chinese Government.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/c ... tions.html

Trump’s China travel ban was Swiss cheese. Screening at airports? Pu-lease.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Trinity wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:46 am https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/c ... tions.html

FROM YOUR ARTICLE
The restrictions, she added, reduced all passengers from the country by about 99 percent.

Jacinda Passmore, 23, a former English teacher in China who flew into Dallas on March 10, after a layover in Tokyo, got a thorough screening at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport. It took about 40 minutes, she said, before she was cleared for her flight home to Little Rock, Ark. State health workers later dropped off thermometers at her house and insisted her entire family stay home for two weeks and provide updates on their condition.

“They asked us every day: ‘Have you stayed inside? Have you met anyone? Have you been quarantined?’” Ms. Passmore said. “They’re really nice about it. They said, ‘If you need anything, we can go grocery-shopping for you.’”

Trump administration officials have also said they received significant pushback about imposing the restrictions even when they did. At the time, the World Health Organization was not recommending travel restrictions, Chinese officials rebuffed them and some scientists questioned whether curtailing travel would do any good. Some Democrats in Congress said they could lead to discrimination.

In a statement on Thursday, the C.D.C. described the entry screening as “part of a layered approach” that could “slow and reduce the spread of disease” when used with other public health measures.

Yep Swiss Cheese.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Trinity wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:46 am https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/c ... tions.html

China (WUHAN) had been dealing with the virus since November and in JANUARY they allowed 381,000 passengers to fly into US airports.

The Chinese are the Villains in this piece.

Return to “POLITICS”