All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

3rdPersonPlural

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:08 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:56 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:52 pm
Trinity wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 pm Why are you spiking this football again and again? It was way too little, incomplete, incoherent. And then he golfed and rallied for the month of February while other countries got busy.
Because the clown car on the left continues to insist they knew. We all knew.

So the task force and the alphabet soup of healthcare and intelligence agencies did nothing for ALL of February.

Fire them all then they're useless.
Lord, 6. The whole job of the President is the be briefed on what's up and take pre-emptive measures when needed. This is why Presidents go grey and a 3 level-deep array of support teams is critical.
Exactly. Thats why I said FIRE THEM ALL. If they fiddled for a month and did nothing THEY"RE useless. But I have my doubts thats what happened.
Fire.....whom?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Cradle, my RN stepdaughter is managing home hospice cases in Broward without proper equipment and she is also scared. Frequently what these islands of tragedy need besides love and morphine is food, drug store stuff. So many people are hustling so hard. Stay safe.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I trust some informed folks here more than our govt. no point in screaming and behind little babies from the side that would typically defend the White House, it is what it is, but we are going to peak in NYC, Detroit and NoLa next week? That s the WSJ headline now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/government ... 77?mod=mhp
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Denver Hospitals are expecting peak in third week of April.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Huh. I sort of expected peak to be somewhere after Mother’s Day, thought that flattening would push it out a fair bit. It’s a start.p
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:24 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:17 pm
There are two possible explanations for this.

1) Fauci genuinely got it wrong. If so, he's part of the early screw-up of the feds overall.

2) Fauci was under orders from Trump to play it down. We know that Fauci would get bolder over the next two months, but he may have been worried about being fired or sidelined at that early stage. Trump's willingness to fire those who cross him is very well established.

We also know that a day later, Trump said this in response to a question from a reporter about worries about a pandemic: "No. Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s — going to be just fine."
I lean number 1. At his age Fauci does not need a job, already had and would not jeopardize a distinguished medical career, and I would imagine certainly would not jeopardize public health over an order from Trump.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The last thing Trump said was World War deaths. Like ending a show with Knocking on Heaven’s Door.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:39 pm

1) Fauci genuinely got it wrong. If so, he's part of the early screw-up of the feds overall.

2) Fauci was under orders from Trump to play it down. We know that Fauci would get bolder over the next two months, but he may have been worried about being fired or sidelined at that early stage. Trump's willingness to fire those who cross him is very well established.

We also know that a day later, Trump said this in response to a question from a reporter about worries about a pandemic: "No. Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s — going to be just fine."
I lean number 1. At his age Fauci does not need a job, already had and would not jeopardize a distinguished medical career, and I would imagine certainly would not jeopardize public health over an order from Trump.
Then you haven't been watching Fauci closely. Early on he bit his lip very frequently, swallowed his tongue. He has been more outspoken recently, which is good, although he has had fewer appearances.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:13 pm I trust some informed folks here more than our govt. no point in screaming and behind little babies from the side that would typically defend the White House, it is what it is, but we are going to peak in NYC, Detroit and NoLa next week? That s the WSJ headline now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/government ... 77?mod=mhp
Cuomo was claiming 14 days yesterday. Haven't heard anything from Gretchen and I'll be surprised if NoLa peaks the same week as NYC. I think it is likely NYC and NoLa both overrun their hospitals the same week, but that is not the same as their peak infections. We will see.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:05 pm

Then you haven't been watching Fauci closely. Early on he bit his lip very frequently, swallowed his tongue. He has been more outspoken recently, which is good, although he has had fewer appearances.
Righting his wrong.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:35 am https://www.sermo.com/press-releases/la ... n-context/

sermo poll of global physicians article. you can deep dive on results if you want to sign up.
these guys and gals are the front lines of what's happening, in numbers not one offs.
Interesting study. Couple of quick takeaways: (1) Those nations in the most trouble currently are relying on "Hail Mary medicine"; Spain and Italy. Pretty much everyone is treating for pneumonia. (2) Only China seems to (have) prioritize for the elderly.
several doctors and the author sound like they could be speechwriters for trump today:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19u1 ... q6BLA/edit
though the article also lists so far successful covid fighters south korea and malaysia as early adopters of early stage treatment with hcl. and for the time being spain and italy look like they may be pushing back on the virus.
one place i've been following for hcl treatment updates is james todaro on twitter. studied for his m.d. but looks to be angling to be a business influencer. anyway, he put together this recently on hcl/z pak clinical studies and anecdotal prescribing as well:

then there's the fda recently authorizing off label use. and the 30 million pills donated that evidently haven't been distributed yet. my take? it's a conversation that i hope the medical community is having behind closed doors but ubiquitous wherever they do that (sermo?). we talk about global partnerships. never has there been a time to work those in real time like now. a month or more to come back with our own trials is train has left the station time.
same thing with remdesivir. trump announced them moving to stage 3 today. that was quick, but both remdesivir and hcl have shown their safety in the past already. if there is efficacy, we need them out there as soon as possible. i'm not in the "whaddaya got to lose" camp, but balance that on the drugs' past safety and where we are right now --- are we going to use those 30 million pills or not? we have likely dozens of countries' examples to study and look at with regard to whether it works and side effects. are we digging into that, or waiting for our own studies only?
it's obvious u.s. doctors (and agencies) are more reluctant to utilize than other countries. remdesivir has been pulled from compassionate use to just be in trials for now. are we going to monday morning qb this one as well?

social distancing will hopefully be successful for what it can do. i hope we don't look back and say we didn't do all that we could medically to help those that needed it now.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

You noticed he said “right now” and he also said it’s serious and we should follow what comes out of the CDC. You think Tony Fauci doesn’t understand how diseases spread? That piece is edited.

You think Anthony Fauci doesn’t know any better?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... ultClick=1

This was Published on January 23.... when do you think it was submitted? It’s like someone saying you don’t know how to change a light fixture.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2759815
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:20 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:12 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 pm
CU88 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 pm Reporters in that room need to demand he name the governor who allegedly asked for a certain number masks but got five times that number and then complained they didn't get enough.

Because that absolutely didn't happen.
Who needs to be in the room are the modelers that have shut down the world.

Or do they have twice removed whistleblower status.
6ft, with all respect, are you staying safe, helping keep your family and neighbors safe, best you can?

Or do you want to perhaps go clean some bedpans in a CovId-19 ward, without PPE?

Seriously, enough with the whining about the world being shut down.
is this the world you want to live in skippy. I don't. Don't want my grandkids to either.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-galler ... topstories
again with the "skippy" :roll:

Of course not, 6ft, none of us do..but whining about the sacrifices we should make to avoid even worse outcomes don't help anyone.

At each step of this catastrophe, there were opportunities for our leadership, and for each of us individually, to have done better. We are each 'accountable' for our choices. Elected officials with the power and systems to make the most impact clearly have the most responsibility, vested in them by the voters, but each of us has a responsibility as well.

And that's equally true at each step going forward.

The reason we grind on these issues of what we should have done and how fast we should have taken those actions is that they inform our actions going forward. Real accountability for past actions will come later, but we need to learn lessons fast, right now.

If we have learned anything it's that we would be far better off taking more serious and faster action in order to choke this virus before it spreads further, costing far more lives and trillions more economic damage.

So, anyone whining about how awful it is to have to socially distance and stay at home while true heroes march into battle daily are, in a sense, aiding and abetting this 'enemy' by encouraging others to take their individual responsibilities to minimize spread less seriously.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:16 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:35 am https://www.sermo.com/press-releases/la ... n-context/

sermo poll of global physicians article. you can deep dive on results if you want to sign up.
these guys and gals are the front lines of what's happening, in numbers not one offs.
Interesting study. Couple of quick takeaways: (1) Those nations in the most trouble currently are relying on "Hail Mary medicine"; Spain and Italy. Pretty much everyone is treating for pneumonia. (2) Only China seems to (have) prioritize for the elderly.
several doctors and the author sound like they could be speechwriters for trump today:
though the article also lists so far successful covid fighters south korea and malaysia as early adopters of early stage treatment with hcl. and for the time being spain and italy look like they may be pushing back on the virus.
one place i've been following for hcl treatment updates is james todaro on twitter. studied for his m.d. but looks to be angling to be a business influencer. anyway, he put together this recently on hcl/z pak clinical studies and anecdotal prescribing as well:

then there's the fda recently authorizing off label use. and the 30 million pills donated that evidently haven't been distributed yet. my take? it's a conversation that i hope the medical community is having behind closed doors but ubiquitous wherever they do that (sermo?). we talk about global partnerships. never has there been a time to work those in real time like now. a month or more to come back with our own trials is train has left the station time.
same thing with remdesivir. trump announced them moving to stage 3 today. that was quick, but both remdesivir and hcl have shown their safety in the past already. if there is efficacy, we need them out there as soon as possible. i'm not in the "whaddaya got to lose" camp, but balance that on the drugs' past safety and where we are right now --- are we going to use those 30 million pills or not? we have likely dozens of countries' examples to study and look at with regard to whether it works and side effects. are we digging into that, or waiting for our own studies only?
it's obvious u.s. doctors (and agencies) are more reluctant to utilize than other countries. remdesivir has been pulled from compassionate use to just be in trials for now. are we going to monday morning qb this one as well?

social distancing will hopefully be successful for what it can do. i hope we don't look back and say we didn't do all that we could medically to help those that needed it now.
Quick question: is hydroxychloroquine contraindicated for diabetes?
Does it cause heart issues?

Now, who are the folks being most seriously impacted with CV-19?

Quick google search:

Allergy to 4-aminoquinoline compounds (eg, chloroquine)—Should not be used in patients with this condition.
Blood or bone marrow problems or.
Diabetes or.
Eye or vision problems or.
Muscle problems or.
Nerve problems or.
Porphyria (blood disorder) or.
Psoriasis (skin disease) or.
Stomach or bowel problems–Use with caution.
Hydroxychloroquine may interact with other medications

Heart drug. Taking digoxin with hydroxychloroquine may increase the levels of digoxin in your body. ...
Insulin and other diabetes drugs. ...
Drugs that affect heart rhythm. ...
Certain malaria drugs. ...
Antiseizure drugs. ...
Immunosuppressant drugs.

There are 8 disease interactions with hydroxychloroquine which include:
oculotoxicity.
porphyria.
bone marrow suppression.
ototoxicity.
seizures.
hepatotoxicity.
psoriasis.
heart disease.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

yeah, i had briefly seen heart and retinal and assumed there were others.
i don't expect it to be at the local rite aid.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:53 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:48 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:30 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 pm "They care about global warming too, ...as soon as they finish building all their new coal fired power plants." It never ceases to amaze me how all the liberal fools here always overlook this bothersome little practice of the chicoms. ;)
In what sense do we liberals overlook it? China is a huge problem. Russia is a huge problem. All dictatorships are huge problems.

And we liberals don't want the US to become another one. That's why we're in favor of things like strong protections of voting rights for those with a Constitutional right to vote.
I don't mean to be a smartass, but how come the environmental folks never take the protest to China? They will protest in the USA all day long. Is there something about the Chicom government that makes them reluctant to protest in China? Maybe it is the fact they will be thrown in jail and beaten to a pulp is reason enough to make folks reluctant to protest over there. I dunno, just a hunch. i guess the path of least resistance is always the obvious choice when you want to protest. :roll:
Here is some information. I haven’t read it yet:

https://energypolicy.columbia.edu/sites ... y_2019.pdf
interesting summary.

yes, cradle, your hunch is right...no protesting allowed.

But they sure as heck know they need to reduce emissions (there's a reason why they are used to wearing masks!)...they're turning their own need to global economic opportunity to be a leader in green tech.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:47 pm yeah, i had briefly seen heart and retinal and assumed there were others.
The diabetes is a huge one, so is heart.
Yet, our POTUS is saying to people "what's the harm"...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

LOL!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:43 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:43 pm Even if the actual number of coronavirus infection cases is double the “official” count of around 80,000, the mortality rate would still be 1,000 times that of “ordinary” flu. That’s pretty frightening.

This epidemic can still be managed, but we’re definitely on the cusp of a global pandemic. If it truly becomes a pandemic, then we’re talking about many thousands of additional deaths and a potential global recession.

DocBarrister :shock: :o
So Doc here's your first post in the thread. February 26th, You don't sound like your hairs on fire. Pretty reasoned. Where were you in January and February screaming Trump was a stumbling idiot.

Were were the democrats and their media amplifier in three debates prior to this withoutt a mention of this disease.

NYs health commissioner had already advised all NewYorkers to come to the Chinese New Year parade to show they were WOKE and not racists.

The Mayor of New Orleans another Democrat had pushed attendance at Mardi Gras.

And Trump had already closed the borders declared a public health emergency and put the coronavirus task force together.
I wasn’t the one getting national intelligence warnings since early January about the coming crisis ... and then ignoring them.

Should note that I was sounding more alarms on February 26 than Trump.

Your continued support of Trump can only be described as deplorable.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:47 pm yeah, i had briefly seen heart and retinal and assumed there were others.
The diabetes is a huge one, so is heart.
Yet, our POTUS is saying to people "what's the harm"...
Speaking of the heart...and this virus/situation we are all in.

Interesting tidbit. Dr. has me on the lowest dosage of an ACE for pre-hypertension. I have not taken it in 4 days and have monitored my BP multiple times each day at roughly the same time each day. it is dang near the same or even lower without it....the only difference, no traffic, sleeping in a bit later, emails are less than 100 each day, and the cell phone barely rings any more. I have not changed diet or exercise routines....probably slipped a bit on the diet with both kids home.

Interesting how nature and the chaos of our careers can influence our health. I suppose we all know that already, just sharing how slowing down allows us to reveal a bit more that we often overlook.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”