Top 100 Player List From 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Top 100 Player List From 2020

Post by Cooter »

BigTom4 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:43 pm
Laxrat120 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:56 pm
Laxrat120 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:56 pm I agree with all of this. Forgot Cormier but have different reasons for Aitken and Fairman. Even though they struggled with scoring they still were able to draw slides and have a lot of hockey assist. A lot of midfielders don’t have a lot of points because of this. DeMaio should be ranked in the top 30 you’re right
Also have to remember wisnauskas is nowhere near as good without bernhardt
100% agree with this. Bernhardt was a FAR more impactful player than Wisnauskas this year. Points don't tell the whole story.

List is decent. Definite over-ranking of Cuse guys but I'm guessing that is your team Laxrat.
How do we know that Wisnauskas is nowhere as good without Bernhardt?

O'Keefe isn't better because of Ament?

Syracuse did play only one top 20 team (Army).
Live Free or Die!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Different players who complement each other. Both are top notch.
Laxrat120

Post by Laxrat120 »

Only Cuse player who I think I overrated was Brett Kennedy. He played close this year and didn’t do great. Beat multiple times by different players and wasn’t as great off the ground. Definitely an AA LSM but his reputation got him it at close
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Laxrat120 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:05 am Only Cuse player who I think I overrated was Brett Kennedy. He played close this year and didn’t do great. Beat multiple times by different players and wasn’t as great off the ground. Definitely an AA LSM but his reputation got him it at close
Disagree , that kid is terrific talent and Id have him in top five cause he has a wider skillset than others listed, problably the fastest in game, strong both on and off ball unlike some n still transitioned from low. LS Desko applauded his play and reason why didn't have to rush Mellen back. 3 goals in 5 games covering #1's aint shabby. not counting man ups Nichtern had one off him and Holden two but he otherwise shut down all other #1's including Colgate's Brown when he was asked to switch over to him in first game . Compare that to that list above or another lsm Salvatore dropping to play cd agaisnt a 1 and he did great .Id place him at #2 lsm and #5 cd. You had it right on all the Cuse players , reason why they were going to be a terrific team is they had several terrific players. Only critique Id say on cd list is I would have had Hudgins of Army and Kennedy of Villanova listed instead of some others
Laxrat120

Post by Laxrat120 »

I can agree on Kennedy first of all Salvatore dropped and covered the #2 while I refuse to throw Hudgins on Kennedy over any of those guys because both of them are overrated. I watched all their games, they have stats aren’t great on or off the ball and don’t stand out that much to me. Hudgins is highly overrated
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Laxrat120 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:07 pm I can agree on Kennedy first of all Salvatore dropped and covered the #2 while I refuse to throw Hudgins on Kennedy over any of those guys because both of them are overrated. I watched all their games, they have stats aren’t great on or off the ball and don’t stand out that much to me. Hudgins is highly overrated
Subscribe to all the networks and watch so much lax over the years. Beauty in the eyes of beholder and I prefer defenders who are multii dimensional. I cringe every time Millman drops Salvatore down to cd as doesn't play to his strength. Excellent lsm with great stick but LeClair and others can bully him as he's not physical. I dont get coaches dropping top lsms to close as greater value in midfield. Conners be excellent cd but Lars had the smarts not to screw with what works despite their UVA struggles down low this year. Also prefer Kennedy impact at lsm but he's got total package n be a AA at cd because he's physical and aggressive. Put him on #1's for a reason, he's closed down some good ones like Henisburg and Brown when Mellen struggled with them. Cuse close defense was very good and coordinated in 5 games I saw despite complete overhaul, struggles were on man downs . Bit surprised on your Hudgins take., he looked good and fluid in games I saw. Maybe I caught his best . Believe he did well evenl in Marist blowout. Fake holding down Tehoka a few years ago still carries forward. He's a good overall physical defender on and off but he'll get beat n just 4 gbs 1 ct in 4 games if those stats matter much. Similar type but better all around imo is Kielty of ND. Duke's JT? Excellent on ball though scorched at times (Walker) but find him rather average off, have never viewed him in Van Rapphorst class and serious question does he ever covers #1's. . btw, how is Stephenson doing, thought that kid was going to be a beast .. Have not seen much of Gtwon Smith but obviously a gb machine . Kennedy of Villy came on strong and was very good in the games I watched.. Kolby season cut short but another who can impact. Not sure on Adler after five games. better gauge after next . Do like some others . PS, you got Moore listed twice at attack , so a deep pool there that many very good ones are going to be left off. Sowers, Ament and Gray and then a field of abundant talent that can be listed so many ways and no one is wrong or right.
Laxrat120

Post by Laxrat120 »

Agree with all of that would have had Hudgins in the HM category he’s just overrated and not 1-3 team guy. Would have moved a guy like Makar or Adler up to 2-3rd team. Fake is praised for his past, but any defenseman who is a lock down guy and covers #1s does not have the CT or GB numbers because it’s so hard to take the ball from those guys. You talked about fake shutting down tehoka back then but last year and this year has gotten scored on multiple times but somehow gets the praise compared to another defender in the ivy like how about this year when Gavin Adler Cornell cover guy held him pointless until 5 min left in the fourth he’s 5,8 180 and dominated him. Then tehoka went on to score 4,5 every game. Adler covered every #1 and was not scored on all season. He’s so fun to watch because he’s small only gave up the most 1-2 points per game all assist when he covered his guy. Did amazing on ament and hes an incredible talent who people don’t know about he can cover the little sowers and ament type while also covering the big men. Another underrated guy who stood out was #2 on penn state the pole who tied the game up don’t know his name but he looks like he has potential to be great. Just some thoughts I did break down a lot of game film in this time off from work.
Laxrat120

Post by Laxrat120 »

Was referring to #2 TJ Connellan tying the game up vs Cornell and having huge Cts. Very good player
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Will have to revisit the game thought it was Kennedy, but somebody got beat a number of times in the bart game. We might’ve had the best offense Syracuse had faced this partial season but still whoever was covering 1&2 on us didn’t play like an AA. Consider how Mellon and other sh it down Frank Brown (an HM AA and Conference POY) in 2017 17-11 win, sure he got 3,2 but 17 shots, he was trying to do everything and was held really in check, just incredibly tough NA kid from silver Creek who was 6’3” and when I met him he was far more physical than his frame suggested, way tougher to body up than Holden or Knox. We got run down in the game but even the Cuse announcers were commenting on one of them getting beat a bit.

Perhaps that was one off game combined with a pretty hot offense that had put up 20+ in its first three games coming in and can be tossed out or maybe we had guys that could still do things against top close D men, just recall even the syracuse folks not thrilled with the close D performance (despite a 8 goal game, even if the last 4-5 were kind of 4th quarter piling in, the spoils of victory). Meanwhile I’ve seen some criticism of Cook but he played pretty well that game whereas Trimboli and Scanlan did a lot of their damage late when the game was effectively over. Maybe just an odd game out of the half dozen.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxrat120

Post by Laxrat120 »

Would love to hear thoughts on Joey Epstein’s down year? He did not look great out there this year heard he was banged up would love to hear more on that
Laxrat120

Post by Laxrat120 »

Laxrat120 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:46 pm Was referring to #2 TJ Connellan tying the game up vs Cornell and having huge Cts. Very good player
Another underrated guy one of my duke guys Kenny Brower he will be great in the future
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

Laxrat120 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:50 pm Would love to hear thoughts on Joey Epstein’s down year? He did not look great out there this year heard he was banged up would love to hear more on that
He is an AA talent, but I don't know if i'd include him on this list if it's based on 2020 performance.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:46 pm Will have to revisit the game thought it was Kennedy, but somebody got beat a number of times in the bart game. We might’ve had the best offense Syracuse had faced this partial season but still whoever was covering 1&2 on us didn’t play like an AA. Consider how Mellon and other sh it down Frank Brown (an HM AA and Conference POY) in 2017 17-11 win, sure he got 3,2 but 17 shots, he was trying to do everything and was held really in check, just incredibly tough NA kid from silver Creek who was 6’3” and when I met him he was far more physical than his frame suggested, way tougher to body up than Holden or Knox. We got run down in the game but even the Cuse announcers were commenting on one of them getting beat a bit.

Perhaps that was one off game combined with a pretty hot offense that had put up 20+ in its first three games coming in and can be tossed out or maybe we had guys that could still do things against top close D men, just recall even the syracuse folks not thrilled with the close D performance (despite a 8 goal game, even if the last 4-5 were kind of 4th quarter piling in, the spoils of victory). Meanwhile I’ve seen some criticism of Cook but he played pretty well that game whereas Trimboli and Scanlan did a lot of their damage late when the game was effectively over. Maybe just an odd game out of the half dozen.
Yes. His one bad game marred by penalties. Factually his on ball d agaisnt the 1's over five games was 0, 0, 1, 2, 0 over five games which almost any lead cd would take . No 8 , 6 or 4 goal games posted elsewhere. The worst performance by a cuse close defender was actually by Mellen who is usually superb on ball but uncharacteristically gave up 4 goals in Colgate game in a half. A,Cuse D was dissected by announcers after every score despite performing well and I think many Cuse fans were surprised how quickly the new lineup with a lsm, dm and redshirt jelled. Very coordinated trio and going to better next as all return though Kennedy could return to lsm. As far as Cook, heard little criticsm. He was their 3rd Attackman and he impacted by causing several turnovers off aggressive rides. Not sure what people expected but only one ball and he did what was needed
Back to Hobart .Somebody gonna get a heck of a good player in Holden if he continues. He scored scored twice with K on ball ,once on return back to Holden after dropping down to help another where Holden avoided his trail check by tucking stick in a brilliant play and another after upfield collision where he got blindly slashed as K helmet came up. Holden also had man up off penalty in 1h but was unheard of in second half. Knox was also held in check by Murphy as DiPietro did well on Archer, You did have three man ups and some of your mids beat dm's but the Cuse D pressured your potent O causing 22 turnovers. Porter didn't have his best game either only saving 7 of 20 sog , a number which as you know was very low # for potent Hobart despite splitting faceoffs. Two good teams, good test for both. Think your offense would have given Cornell defense a handful but their offense was gonna be hard to stop. Would have been high scoring game. Shame that season ended early, believe you would have won conference and been in NCAA's.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah it was a tough season for all three finger lakes teams to lose unfortunately (meaning Cornell, Hobart & Syracuse). Had we of won the NEC theres a decent probability we would’ve ended up playing either Syracuse or Cornell again in Rd 1 assuming those two were looking like top 4 seeds + geography no flight.

Porter seemed like he struggled with shots over his left shoulder, not sure if that’s his normal weakness. Don’t want to get me started on the TOs of that game bc we probably should’ve had like 4-5 more man ups but I’ll leave it alone at that.

Everybody has a bad game and I didn’t see Kennedy in the others (only watched a little of Gate game in fact) so not disputing just a one game sample essentially.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Laxrat120 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:50 pm Would love to hear thoughts on Joey Epstein’s down year? He did not look great out there this year heard he was banged up would love to hear more on that
Really cant judge Epstein in 2020. It was obvious that he was hindered by a knee sprain and rather immobile. Still had skills but no explosiveness , personally dont think he should have been playing and risking further injury . Glad that he got season back. He's a tremendous talent who will come back to forefront when he returns healthy.

I agree on Brower. Liked what I saw. He was problably the one frosh cd who made a seamless jump to college play. By comparison ,think UVA talented frosh d struggled though Lars may make it more complex than Dano. Is Stephenson gonna be able to return next year ?
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

stupefied wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:49 am
Laxrat120 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:05 am Only Cuse player who I think I overrated was Brett Kennedy. He played close this year and didn’t do great. Beat multiple times by different players and wasn’t as great off the ground. Definitely an AA LSM but his reputation got him it at close
Disagree , that kid is terrific talent and Id have him in top five cause he has a wider skillset than others listed, problably the fastest in game, strong both on and off ball unlike some n still transitioned from low. LS Desko applauded his play and reason why didn't have to rush Mellen back. 3 goals in 5 games covering #1's aint shabby. not counting man ups Nichtern had one off him and Holden two but he otherwise shut down all other #1's including Colgate's Brown when he was asked to switch over to him in first game . Compare that to that list above or another lsm Salvatore dropping to play cd agaisnt a 1 and he did great .Id place him at #2 lsm and #5 cd. You had it right on all the Cuse players , reason why they were going to be a terrific team is they had several terrific players. Only critique Id say on cd list is I would have had Hudgins of Army and Kennedy of Villanova listed instead of some others
I was not impressed with Kennedy’s performance in the Hobart game, in which I’d count him responsible for five Hobart goals: 1) Holden ran right by him twice; 2) Jack Groom’s second goal came on a very late Kennedy slide (I’ve watched this several times- so on his offball defense); 3) Hobart scored twice on two of the three Kennedy personal fouls (he went in with what I thought was a clear attempt to injure on two of those three- high hard cross checks to the head). Count me as putting him pretty far down the list on the basis of that game. It does look like he has talent, but that was clearly not the best of games. Even some of Ric Beardsley’s comments were not flattering.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

One game ,off game, if you watched others such as the following JHU game then you'd have a different opinion. Beardsley loves him, especially at lsm where he can be a game changer
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:56 pm Yeah it was a tough season for all three finger lakes teams to lose unfortunately (meaning Cornell, Hobart & Syracuse). Had we of won the NEC theres a decent probability we would’ve ended up playing either Syracuse or Cornell again in Rd 1 assuming those two were looking like top 4 seeds + geography no flight.

Porter seemed like he struggled with shots over his left shoulder, not sure if that’s his normal weakness. Don’t want to get me started on the TOs of that game bc we probably should’ve had like 4-5 more man ups but I’ll leave it alone at that.

Everybody has a bad game and I didn’t see Kennedy in the others (only watched a little of Gate game in fact) so not disputing just a one game sample essentially.
Really is a shame.

Porter is a really good goalie but every goalie gonna have their off games. Lucchesi is very good as well , he's another tough one for Hobart to lose. Your fogo surprised, very competitive as was your team. Strange times
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

maddog9718 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:04 pm
He is an AA talent, but I don't know if i'd include him on this list if it's based on 2020 performance.
He tore up his knee a few weeks before the season started. Officially it was a sprained MCL but I had heard rumors that it may have been a bit more than that. Doctors apparently cleared him to play but he was, at BEST, 60%. Not fair to judge him or anyone playing with an injury that clearly hindered his ability to perform. So much of his game is based on quick cuts and change of direction at X and he obviously wasn't able to do that. He'll be back strong next year.

That's why I was hesitant to criticize ranking Fairman at #32—kid was an absolute ghost this year and based on the 2020 season alone doesn't belong anywhere near a top 100 list but given his talent and previous seasons my guess is he was also playing hurt. Otherwise the drop-off doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Laxrat120 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:42 pm Not a Cuse fan honestly am a big Duke fan was just trying to be honest. Would love to hear who I overrated on cuse
You say you factored in matchups and competition, but Syracuse didn't play anyone to start their season. You have four Orange in your top 25 and only one player from Cornell? Cornell who is also undefeated and beat Penn State and Ohio State? Seems off. If its just about stats and being undefeated, why not have Georgetown players all over over your top 50? having watched every Syracuse game this year, and a lot of other games, I just don't see the methodology behind it.

Do you want specific arguments:

11. Trimboli: Good player, but number 11 player in the country good? Definitely not. Not a coach in the country would pick him over O'Keefe, Costabile, Moore, Bernhardt, or Wisnauskas. He's a very good shooter who got his points because he was the third best middie on a very stacked line, and got the list defensive attention. Overall it's was shaping up to be a weak year for midfielders, and I think there are more deserving attack men would be ranked higher.

16. Curry: Same exact argument, with less production than Trimboli.

23. Porter: Very good goalie, yes, but not top goalie in the country and top 25 overall player. Outside the top 10 in goals against, save %, and saves per game. I think goalie is a muddled group and no one really deserved Top 50 rankings. If I had to pick one though, I think McElroy and Schulper had better starts to the season.

29. Kennedy: Laughably over ranked. Koby Smith, Brett Makar, Gavin Adler, Mark Evanchick, and way better players. He got exposed against Colgate and never had to play a truly challenging offensive team the entire year. Much better LSM than close defender.

43. Dordevic: Had one excellant games (7pts vs Hobart). Take that out and he had 7 points in the remaining 4 games combined. Shot was off all year, looked (deservedly) rusty coming off injury. Will be a force next year, but wasn't great this year.

62. Rehfuss: Third best attackman on a mediocre attack unit at number 62? Nope.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”