Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:03 pm
Cooter wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 pm
jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 pm 2022 is gonna be more challenging than next year for sure in terms of losses, but could be doable still with all of the talent on offense. Maltz and Brennan will be 3rd year sophomores, Kyle Long a 4th year junior, Makar a 4th year junior, Sherrer, Geppert as 3rd year sophomores, McNaney in goal. Then Malever and Kelly will be sophomores; also have Sawyer, DeMaio, Pallonetti all super talented who didn't feature a lot this year. Not everyone pans out obviously, but the talent will be super deep on offense and bulk of defense will still be there. Even with potentially no Logan, DeMaio, Fairman; they'll still be in good shape.
Let's not forget Jack Koras among the sophomores. He might be the best of the 3. Daniel Kelly has the great shot, but Koras is a bit more dynamic.
Koras is a tremendous passer off the dodge and a great athlete, definitely dynamic. Don't know if he's the finisher Malever or Kelly are (even taking out the shot) but he brings a lot himself for sure. Moral of the story, they have loads of tremendous young talent and options, probably the most they've had since the 2014 class came through.
Koras has a pretty nasty shot. Kelly is probably the best finisher of the 3. I don't know that Malever is a better finisher than Koras.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:02 am
jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:03 pm
Cooter wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 pm
jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 pm 2022 is gonna be more challenging than next year for sure in terms of losses, but could be doable still with all of the talent on offense. Maltz and Brennan will be 3rd year sophomores, Kyle Long a 4th year junior, Makar a 4th year junior, Sherrer, Geppert as 3rd year sophomores, McNaney in goal. Then Malever and Kelly will be sophomores; also have Sawyer, DeMaio, Pallonetti all super talented who didn't feature a lot this year. Not everyone pans out obviously, but the talent will be super deep on offense and bulk of defense will still be there. Even with potentially no Logan, DeMaio, Fairman; they'll still be in good shape.
Let's not forget Jack Koras among the sophomores. He might be the best of the 3. Daniel Kelly has the great shot, but Koras is a bit more dynamic.
Koras is a tremendous passer off the dodge and a great athlete, definitely dynamic. Don't know if he's the finisher Malever or Kelly are (even taking out the shot) but he brings a lot himself for sure. Moral of the story, they have loads of tremendous young talent and options, probably the most they've had since the 2014 class came through.
Koras has a pretty nasty shot. Kelly is probably the best finisher of the 3. I don't know that Malever is a better finisher than Koras.
Koras does have a good shot. I do definitely think Malever is the better finisher, he shows a better ability to get to the cage and score. Both are equally as good at feeding off the dodge, but Malever's got a better step when taking on his defender. All 3 bring something valuable and if all goes well and they progress and develop strongly, they'll be one heckuva attack unit.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:20 am Koras does have a good shot. I do definitely think Malever is the better finisher, he shows a better ability to get to the cage and score. Both are equally as good at feeding off the dodge, but Malever's got a better step when taking on his defender. All 3 bring something valuable and if all goes well and they progress and develop strongly, they'll be one heckuva attack unit.
I don't know if I agree with your assessment. When I watch Koras' highlights from the MIAA, he is mostly doing it against future D1 defenders and goalies, whereas the same is not true for Malever in Georgia.

They will not be a heckuva attack unit as all 3 are left handers.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:05 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:20 am Koras does have a good shot. I do definitely think Malever is the better finisher, he shows a better ability to get to the cage and score. Both are equally as good at feeding off the dodge, but Malever's got a better step when taking on his defender. All 3 bring something valuable and if all goes well and they progress and develop strongly, they'll be one heckuva attack unit.
I don't know if I agree with your assessment. When I watch Koras' highlights from the MIAA, he is mostly doing it against future D1 defenders and goalies, whereas the same is not true for Malever in Georgia.

They will not be a heckuva attack unit as all 3 are left handers.
Malever also plays for an elite club team, it's not as if he just plays against scrubs. Dude didn't get to be the #4 ranked HS player in the country for no reason (and say what you will about the rankings, historically they are largely very accurate.)

If I had to pick one to move up to midfield I'd go with Koras, based off his tape he does a lot of his dodging from up top and having someone from up there who can run by their man the way he does would be very valuable
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think that the expectation is that Jack Koras will play midfield at Maryland. He played midfield in high school before his switch to attack in the spring of 2019, so it should be a relatively smooth transition for him.

Eric Malever looks like he has the athleticism to play midfield also, which at UMd means he probably will.
Live Free or Die!
EE_Terp

Post by EE_Terp »

RE: Malever-Yes, his HS competition was average at best but as mentioned, he plays on a good club team...in fact, one of the PLL all stars(sorry can’t pull the name), who helps with that GA club team raves about him. Calls him the best kid in class of 2020...a reach of course, but still high praise!

So, projecting the attack post Logan; you can have 2 lefty’s(not ideal) but Maltz figures to be a fixture for next 3 years. Kelly seems to fit Logan’s profile which is not a dodger, based on highlights alone. The best dodger would then likely complete that line, so does Long finish his career there?

But the key is loads of offensive potential, which seems odd again because for so long we’ve had more of the defensive identity but in the last couple years that has changed. Time to load up on D in ‘22 and beyond.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

EE_Terp wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:22 pm
So, projecting the attack post Logan; you can have 2 lefty’s(not ideal) but Maltz figures to be a fixture for next 3 years. Kelly seems to fit Logan’s profile which is not a dodger, based on highlights alone. The best dodger would then likely complete that line, so does Long finish his career there?
There is nothing wrong with going with 2 lefties. The Terps won their title in 2017 with Rambo and Heacock at attack.
I just doubt that Tillman will go with a freshman behind the goal next spring, so it will probably be Long or Maltz playing that spot, and which of them plays there next spring will probably stick there in 2022 - which if it is Long would be him finishing out his career there.

The road is not entirely clear for Daniel Kelly, after Wisnauskas, as Nick DeMaio will certainly be vying for time at that spot.

I think Malever and Koras forming a midfield pair like Fairman and A.DeMaio would be pretty sweet.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

It won't be surprising to see Bubba behind the goal with Malever up top A. DeMaio and Brennan. When the second line comes in, Long inverts and Bubba plays up top with Jake Smith and whoever replaces Masci (Chase Cope? N. DeMaio?). That's the Connor Kelly offense...now with way more depth than Kelly's senior year had.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:02 pm It won't be surprising to see Bubba behind the goal with Malever up top A. DeMaio and Brennan. When the second line comes in, Long inverts and Bubba plays up top with Jake Smith and whoever replaces Masci (Chase Cope? N. DeMaio?). That's the Connor Kelly offense...now with way more depth than Kelly's senior year had.
Considering all the things they asked Fairman to do this season at midfield, I think they value him there a lot and I'd be a little surprised if he bumps down. Wisnauskas has played plenty behind the goal and I imagine that's where he'd be in 2021. I imagine the competition for the 3rd attack spot will be pretty open (assuming Jared moves on.) First midfield could stay the same, though Long was pretty dynamic when he came back from injury, so maybe he bumps up for Brennan; though Brennan is a good shooter and you need those.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Malever or Koras get 2nd midfield runs as opposed to maybe Smith or Cope or someone like that; you want your athletes on the field and those guys are explosive.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:35 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:02 pm It won't be surprising to see Bubba behind the goal with Malever up top A. DeMaio and Brennan. When the second line comes in, Long inverts and Bubba plays up top with Jake Smith and whoever replaces Masci (Chase Cope? N. DeMaio?). That's the Connor Kelly offense...now with way more depth than Kelly's senior year had.
Considering all the things they asked Fairman to do this season at midfield, I think they value him there a lot and I'd be a little surprised if he bumps down. Wisnauskas has played plenty behind the goal and I imagine that's where he'd be in 2021. I imagine the competition for the 3rd attack spot will be pretty open (assuming Jared moves on.) First midfield could stay the same, though Long was pretty dynamic when he came back from injury, so maybe he bumps up for Brennan; though Brennan is a good shooter and you need those.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Malever or Koras get 2nd midfield runs as opposed to maybe Smith or Cope or someone like that; you want your athletes on the field and those guys are explosive.
The thing that makes the offense so hard to defend is that the Terps have Bernhardt down low and Bubba up high (and they'll both invert). Surround them with skill and profit, right? Inverting Long is great because he gets to abuse either a shorty or a LSM behind the cage. If Bernhardt doesn't return, I think we'll see Tills and Rep try to get a dynamic athlete behind the goal at that attack spot. Perhaps it's Malever, but remember that they started Jared as a midfielder as a freshman. So Koras or Malever as midfielders has a familiar feel to it. I just get the sense that we'll see Bubba in that Connor Kelly role where he never leaves the field. Plays low when the first midfield line is in, plays high when the second midfield line is in. It's going to be fun to watch how they get the parts to fit.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm
jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:35 pm

The thing that makes the offense so hard to defend is that the Terps have Bernhardt down low and Bubba up high (and they'll both invert). Surround them with skill and profit, right? Inverting Long is great because he gets to abuse either a shorty or a LSM behind the cage. If Bernhardt doesn't return, I think we'll see Tills and Rep try to get a dynamic athlete behind the goal at that attack spot. Perhaps it's Malever, but remember that they started Jared as a midfielder as a freshman. So Koras or Malever as midfielders has a familiar feel to it. I just get the sense that we'll see Bubba in that Connor Kelly role where he never leaves the field. Plays low when the first midfield line is in, plays high when the second midfield line is in. It's going to be fun to watch how they get the parts to fit.
They definitely like to get guys on the field at midfield first, so it wouldn't surprise me, however some of that was really down to need and where there were open spots; when Jared was a freshman DMC were all back at attack and the only open spot was at midfield. When Bubba came in, Jared was moving down to attack and Logan transferred in, so there was only one spot at attack and as you mentioned before, there wasn't a lot of depth at midfield that year so they needed him.

This year, there's so much depth returning at midfield and the one open spot (potentially) is at attack. And Bubba is a unique athlete who can play the full field. Long is an attackmen himself though, so maybe he bumps down and you keep the first midfield intact and you could put Koras and Malever on the second unit. Lot of possibilities though, and so many options to choose from. And of course if Jared did decide to (surprisingly) come back, well then we're cooking with gas
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think Long was going to start this year, but got injured, and Brennan got the chance and played well. Long started playing more and more as he got healthier. I tend to see Long as a starter.

Assuming Bernhardt doesn't return, Long would be a good choice behind the goal with his quick first step and passing ability. I also thought Danny Maltz played well behind the goal, when he rotated back there - the nice thing about the choice of Maltz is then you have both Long or Fairman as possible inverters.

It's hard to know about the freshmen. Here they have missed their senior high school season, and it remains to be seen how much club ball will get played over this summer. (Of course, Daniel Kelly's dad is his high school coach.)
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

UMD under Tillman has emphasized athleticism and versatility in recruiting that has lead to little difference in position designation on offense. JB’s speed will be missed most as he was always able to run past a defender from behind or from up top. Over the course of their careers Rambo Heacock and now Wisnauskas have developed off hand skills that make an official position less meaningful. Ball movement in the Terp offense always finds players in multiple places on the field. That movement usually starts from behind with LW or JB but also will depend on how quickly the ball gets across midfield. As others have said, the offense will be in to watch in the next few years.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Along with the athleticism, JL has done a great job with the Terps O and developing IQ. It's almost like he took classes in school that focus on strategy :D . If you watch the offense, really watch it, you can see the levels of opportunity develop. Unlike simple mumbo style plays where players have set spots and you are looking for a particular person, JL's schematics develop additional iteration/levels that unfold yet another set within a set. It appears, and rightfully so, like it is predicated on attacking the 2nd slide vacancy and the fill spot off of the initial peel; and he challenges the players to see that.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Seahawk wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:48 am UMD under Tillman has emphasized athleticism and versatility in recruiting that has lead to little difference in position designation on offense. JB’s speed will be missed most as he was always able to run past a defender from behind or from up top. Over the course of their careers Rambo Heacock and now Wisnauskas have developed off hand skills that make an official position less meaningful. Ball movement in the Terp offense always finds players in multiple places on the field. That movement usually starts from behind with LW or JB but also will depend on how quickly the ball gets across midfield. As others have said, the offense will be in to watch in the next few years.
Start of college football season is in jeopardy, wonder if that changes Bernhardt's plans. Saw the Terps -UPenn game and he took his defender four times around cage for goals on pure speed. His sheer athleticism would be hard to replace however skilled or athletic players are.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Certainly having Bernhardt back would make the Terps a stronger team. Besides just his speed and athleticism, and the ability to break down defenses, you have an experienced team leader.
That being said the Terps do return 6 regular players on the offense: Wisnauskas, A.DeMaio, Fairman, Long, Maltz and Brennan. That means 6 players who make gains in experience and maturity, which might be particularly significant gains for the freshmen Maltz and Brennan, and perhaps also Long. Both Fairman and Long do a good job of beating ssdms when they invert. Then you have 3 talented freshmen waiting their turn this year in N.DeMaio, Sawyer, and Pallonetti, and the 3 highly touted freshmen coming in: Kelly, Malever and Koras.
Live Free or Die!
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Wow! That’s 8 high performing “freshman” on the roster in 2021 assuming N DeMaio also gets another year since he’s already had a redshirt year. The pecking order will be very difficult but fun to watch. There may be some unhappy players down the line unless Tillman goes old school and runs three lines deep.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

According to Xanders twitter
Drew Morris, Jr., has entered to transfer portal
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:11 am According to Xanders twitter
Drew Morris, Jr., has entered to transfer portal
That is not a big surprise. He wasn't playing and appeared to be 3rd on the Terps goalie list behind 2 goalies with more eligibility.
Hopefully, he will find a place where he can play. Good luck, Drew.
Live Free or Die!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”