All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

a fan

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

Remember when I said weeks ago to just cut checks. And every thousand dollars per month per taxpayer would be a piddly $150Billion

This is why. There's NO WAY our unemployment system can handle all the means testing red tape nonsense and get money back into the economy.

This is why having millionaires like Pelosi and McConnell is so bad. They don't get it.

“Everyone we talk to in that office when we ask them what happened tells us, ‘the system was designed to fail,’” the adviser said. “That’s not a problem when unemployment is 2.8 percent, but it’s a problem now. And no system we have can handle 25,000 people a day.”

https://www.politico.com/states/florida ... mp-1271172
njbill

Post by njbill »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:23 pm The science is in the infancy stage when it comes to understanding this virus. They do not have the slightest idea why some folks die with pre- existing conditions and other wise healthy people die albeit in smaller numbers. My wife has taken to heart the opinion of one her doctors at Rochester General. She has said we don't know what the f**k we are dealing with. This thing does not act like anything they have dealt with before. When it hits your lungs you are in big trouble no matter who you are.
I heard Fauci say essentially this the other day to Anderson Cooper. The best scientists simply don’t know why some healthy comparatively young people get very, very sick, while most don’t. Of course, the “mild” symptoms you hear about still sound pretty serious to me.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

From Florida (of course) Twitter (actually Leon County, which is where the capital Tallahassee is located):
EUn035-XgAMzXs1.jpg
EUn035-XgAMzXs1.jpg (202.27 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:24 pm Private jets = conspicuous consumption. Doesn’t reflect broader distress. I’d imagine some yacht sales have occurred but not sure with depreciation and an unclear future how much of a fire sale it is. Worked on
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:47 pm a $45mm credit (group of loans) to a mid sized boat manufacturer in SC and their bank had increasingly loosed terms the past few years, taking the debt to non-recourse, dividend recap loan to owner, etc. have to assume that business and the bank associated have problems now but the bank could’ve maintained certain protections had they of chosen to ho la the line.
You actually sound like one of the more intelligent posters here...praying you're not a Dem, but if so, that's okay; with age comes wisdom. :lol: You just can't help yourself. You are consistent, if nothing else.

Your reply has me thinking. Good for you! First time for everything...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:36 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:24 pm Private jets = conspicuous consumption. Doesn’t reflect broader distress. I’d imagine some yacht sales have occurred but not sure with depreciation and an unclear future how much of a fire sale it is. Worked on
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:47 pm a $45mm credit (group of loans) to a mid sized boat manufacturer in SC and their bank had increasingly loosed terms the past few years, taking the debt to non-recourse, dividend recap loan to owner, etc. have to assume that business and the bank associated have problems now but the bank could’ve maintained certain protections had they of chosen to ho la the line.
You actually sound like one of the more intelligent posters here...praying you're not a Dem, but if so, that's okay; with age comes wisdom. :lol: You just can't help yourself. You are consistent, if nothing else.

Ooohaaa.jpg
Ooohaaa.jpg (155.96 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

njbill wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:13 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:23 pm The science is in the infancy stage when it comes to understanding this virus. They do not have the slightest idea why some folks die with pre- existing conditions and other wise healthy people die albeit in smaller numbers. My wife has taken to heart the opinion of one her doctors at Rochester General. She has said we don't know what the f**k we are dealing with. This thing does not act like anything they have dealt with before. When it hits your lungs you are in big trouble no matter who you are.
I heard Fauci say essentially this the other day to Anderson Cooper. The best scientists simply don’t know why some healthy comparatively young people get very, very sick, while most don’t. Of course, the “mild” symptoms you hear about still sound pretty serious to me.
My buddy's son-in-law, late 20's...played d3 hoops and can hike for days, hopped on a Peloton for the first time and came in first. - he came back from out west, positive test, 101 for 2-3 days...pretty much a nbd.

The daughter lives with him - asymptotic, still.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Good news. Looks like monkeys develop antibodies to corona. There's hope for this list! (self included)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:53 pm Good news. Looks like monkeys develop antibodies to corona. There's hope for this list! (self included)

Excellent news!! Do you have a link?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm
foreverlax wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:36 pm

Ooohaaa.jpg
There is some bliss within ignorance...enjoy!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:54 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:53 pm Good news. Looks like monkeys develop antibodies to corona. There's hope for this list! (self included)

It's the missing link. :D

boooo...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Hmmm, now I am not one to critique a politician who is simply trying their level-best to deal in very difficult circumstances, however we need to be sensitive to any time when Democrats get too in touch with their authoritarian impulses. Plus if anything occurs which impacts those great lacrosse players from upstate New York, I can think of no other online forum which needs to have their voices heard than Fanlax.

Andrew Cuomo has basically instituted martial law by declaring that he will now seize ventilators from upstate NY and transport them downstate. This order will be carried out by The National Guard of NY. If you are an upstate NY hospital or own a private practice anywhere in the state of NY, your assets are subject to seizure.

I'm not entirely down with this power move. Maybe necessary, also maybe short-sighted, definitely unconstitutional.

What says the Upstaters of NY State here?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

doi:10.1101/2020.03.13.990226, 2020.
I see it is 2 weeks old.
The better news: keep taking high blood pressure meds!
the-scientist.com/news-opinion/blood-pressure-meds-point-the-way-to-possible-covid-19-treatment-67371
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:04 pm Hmmm, now I am not one to critique a politician who is simply trying their level-best to deal in very difficult circumstances, however we need to be sensitive to any time when Democrats get too in touch with their authoritarian impulses. Plus if anything occurs which impacts those great lacrosse players from upstate New York, I can think of no other online forum which needs to have their voices heard than Fanlax.

Andrew Cuomo has basically instituted martial law by declaring that he will now seize ventilators from upstate NY and transport them downstate. This order will be carried out by The National Guard of NY. If you are an upstate NY hospital or own a private practice anywhere in the state of NY, your assets are subject to seizure.

I'm not entirely down with this power move. Maybe necessary, also maybe short-sighted, definitely unconstitutional.

What says the Upstaters of NY State here?
A cold response: makes no difference if it turns out ventilators don't help.
But I'll add, as a far left lefty ... far beyond Bernie ... Downstate sends us garbage and poop (yup ... local landfills accept sewage ... ) so I am not surprised at anything else they might try.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:11 pm

doi:10.1101/2020.03.13.990226, 2020.
I see it is 2 weeks old.
The better news: keep taking high blood pressure meds!
the-scientist.com/news-opinion/blood-pressure-meds-point-the-way-to-possible-covid-19-treatment-67371
Whoa laxgun...these links are not going to work. If you can fix the links I'd like to see the articles too. Just copy and paste the URL at top from article when it's open.
Last edited by tech37 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:09 pm Remember when I said weeks ago to just cut checks. And every thousand dollars per month per taxpayer would be a piddly $150Billion

This is why. There's NO WAY our unemployment system can handle all the means testing red tape nonsense and get money back into the economy.

This is why having millionaires like Pelosi and McConnell is so bad. They don't get it.

“Everyone we talk to in that office when we ask them what happened tells us, ‘the system was designed to fail,’” the adviser said. “That’s not a problem when unemployment is 2.8 percent, but it’s a problem now. And no system we have can handle 25,000 people a day.”

https://www.politico.com/states/florida ... mp-1271172
TAATS
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Governor Cuomo ordered the National Guard to reallocate "UNUSED" ventilators and medical equipment to areas where there are not enough resources.

Stop putting ridiculous spins on it.

He is doing what leaders do during wartime for crying out loud.

Some of you are real pieces of work.

20 f'in deaths an hour around me!
The parent, not the coach.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

6ftstick wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm Media has begun the COVER YOUR rump phase.

Could all this misery have been avoided.

What?
On Tuesday, professors of medicine at Stanford University, Dr. Bendavid and Dr. Bhattacharya, released statistical data that shows the estimated death rates of the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, are likely “orders of magnitude too high.”Models that have been used by government officials project that million of Americans, 2.2-4 million, will perish from COVID-19 if no precautions are taken, peaking in June. But after looking at data samples from places like Wuhan, China, where the virus originated, hard-hit northeast Italy, Iceland, and the United States, our nation may be looking at a .01 death rate, which is a ten-fold lower death rate than that of the flu and equating to some 20,000-40,000 deaths total, the study found.

Experts, Trump’s advisers doubt White House’s 240,000 coronavirus deaths estimate
by William Wan, Josh Dawsey, Ashley Parker and Joel Achenbach, Washington Post, Updated: April 3, 2020- 6:26 AM

What? Who developed the FN model

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... 00403.html

What?
Epidemiologist Behind Highly-Cited Coronavirus Model Drastically Downgrades Projection
https://www.dailywire.com/news/epidemio ... ises-model
All Models are wrong. Some models are useful. - W. Deming
njbill

Post by njbill »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 pm A real governor :!:
He (Md) certainly belongs in the top group of governors. I would add Ohio and Michigan. No. 1 is Calif. He was very early in getting ahead of things. His actions are now paying dividends.

In the next group I would put NY (he has had the toughest job but I think was a little bit behind the curve early on); NJ (a little disappointed in my governor given our numbers, but has done a pretty good job); PA (late to close the entire state, plus has been lucky with the lack of numbers, but he gets it and did close the key areas rather early).

Bringing up the rear: Mississippi (acted idiotically early, but was one of the earlier southern states to close; props for that); Florida (very very late to the party, didn’t cancel spring break, didn’t close the beaches early enough, very late to shut down his state, especially given the numbers, waffling back and forth on allowing religious group to congregate :evil:).

While Florida was ahead until yesterday, Georgia’s governor gets the booby prize with his comment that “we only found out yesterday this thing is contagious.”

Omitting a lot, to be sure, simply because I don’t have much information on the others.

Feel free to add names, commentary, criticisms. Pete, feel free to defend your BFF, St. Ron.
njbill

Post by njbill »

tech37 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:58 pm

It's the missing link. :D

boooo...
:lol: Good one.

Return to “POLITICS”