Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Homer

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Homer »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:10 am
njfanlax wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm A coach recruits a 5th year player from elsewhere or from within the team. Is it permissible for the coach take the scholarship money (the entire amount) from an existing player and give it to the 5th year player?
permissable, yes. advisable? no. schollys are almost exclusively year by year.
Right. So I'm a little curious how to parse this statement:
wrhuradio wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:16 pm For players who already had eligibility remaining after the 2020 season, their aid will be required to remain at the same level.
from the explainer above. It seems contradictory with this quote too?:
wrhuradio wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:16 pm A coach recruits a 5th year player from elsewhere or from within the team. Is it permissible for the coach take the scholarship money (the entire amount) from an existing player and give it to the 5th year player? YES this already was the case. So if Johns Hopkins wants to recruit Michael Sowers and give him 75% of a ride, they can turn to hot shot underclassman X and say yes youre getting a pay cut from 50% to 10%. This already happens annually.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Ohio State’s Christian Tomei has announced that he has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/03/31/o ... er-portal/
wrhuradio

Post by wrhuradio »

Homer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:18 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:10 am
njfanlax wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm A coach recruits a 5th year player from elsewhere or from within the team. Is it permissible for the coach take the scholarship money (the entire amount) from an existing player and give it to the 5th year player?
permissable, yes. advisable? no. schollys are almost exclusively year by year.
Right. So I'm a little curious how to parse this statement:
wrhuradio wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:16 pm For players who already had eligibility remaining after the 2020 season, their aid will be required to remain at the same level.
from the explainer above. It seems contradictory with this quote too?:
NEW ANSWER: For players who already had eligibility remaining after the 2020 season, their aid will be required to remain at the same level.
The line should read: for NON-2020 Seniors, so the 3 classes below them are supposed to stay at the same level. You're right it is confusing. BUT my guess is that what happens is/will happen is say a coach wants to add a big Grad transfer and has to give them money, he can revise the $$ he's giving to incoming freshman, since they are not covered by this clause. This also happens a lot, between the time a recruit commits, to when he officially signs scholarship papers, the numbers change, and thats where you'll notice guys that signed Letters of Intent in November all of a sudden end up elsewhere the following fall, or they dont get the kindve financial/academic scholaraship package they were expecting
wrhuradio wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:16 pm A coach recruits a 5th year player from elsewhere or from within the team. Is it permissible for the coach take the scholarship money (the entire amount) from an existing player and give it to the 5th year player? YES this already was the case. So if Johns Hopkins wants to recruit Michael Sowers and give him 75% of a ride, they can turn to hot shot underclassman X and say yes youre getting a pay cut from 50% to 10%. This already happens annually. One addendum to your Question, this doesnt apply to the Returning 5th year player, his $ is exempt for 2021. Class of 2020 seniors returning for 2021 have no $$ bearing on the returning players
[/quote]
I think that as I think about it more, a coaches hands DO seem to be tied from changing $$ amounts for 2021 compared to regular circumstances. Normal circumstances yes they just downgrade 2 players and fit in some free agent acquisition they want. However, we know they can run players off by telling them they will play little, encourage them to transfer or even throw them off the team if there is a valid reason, and $$ pops up.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1st - loi's signed in the fall... that's a commitment to receive scholarship money. with even partials, i'm assuming the number is spelled out for the next year as the athlete is giving up rights. i also don't recall any players not landing after signing an nli.
2nd - kids just got their season cut short. the country is in lockdown. kids have protection, according to you, of their last year's scholly... your running people off the team scenarios in this instance seem far fetched.
no offense, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. happy to be corrected.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

wrhuradio

Post by wrhuradio »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:06 am 1st - loi's signed in the fall... that's a commitment to receive scholarship money. with even partials, i'm assuming the number is spelled out for the next year as the athlete is giving up rights. i also don't recall any players not landing after signing an nli.
2nd - kids just got their season cut short. the country is in lockdown. kids have protection, according to you, of their last year's scholly... your running people off the team scenarios in this instance seem far fetched.
no offense, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. happy to be corrected.
1- Recruited walkons DO sign LOI's. Because they are 1-year deals, say a player signs an LOI but his deal with the coach is year 1 they get no money, year 2 they get 10%, and so on as their role increases.
Scenarios that you see players that sign LOIs that dont make it have to do with not getting the financial aid packages they were expecting (other than athletic $) not qualifying academically. Look at the rosters annually at Nassau CC. You'll see guys there that were reportedly verbally committed to Div 1 programs that dont make it there.
This is not including coaching changes that occur which opens up floodgates even more.

Unfortunately we can't cross reference enough information on this since very very few Div. 1 programs announce their November signees, but coaches like to announce their recruited walkons signings too when there are releases. Look at Div 1/FCS Football programs

2-Yes, the kids appear to be protected of the percentage of $ they are getting in 2020. However, it wouldnt be the first time a player is 'recruited over" and then the choice becomes Do I stay or try to go elsewhere.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

there is no such thing as a recruited walk on signing an LOI. it is against nc$$ rules.
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/wh ... intent.htm
there is a hyperlink there with the entire form it says the financial scholarship has to be spelled out in detail and signed at the same time. a verbal commitment carries with it no binding commitment from either side. neither side is "committed". division 3 is expressly barred from LOIs because there are no athletic schollys.

there is still another signing period coming up, but it's safe to say with all the early recruiting in lacrosse and no spring season, that everyone that was going to sign and lock up money has. the only way a coach could bail on a recruit at this late date is to somehow block or not help him get in academically. most acceptances are already done.

your next point is just another rabbit hole, not gonna keep chasing.

the most likely scenario we are looking at is that players leave teams every year for all sorts of reasons. that frees up money which is normally then distributed. in this case, it could be distributed to a transfer or 2.
wrhuradio

Post by wrhuradio »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 pm there is no such thing as a recruited walk on signing an LOI. it is against nc$$ rules.
there is a hyperlink there with the entire form it says the financial scholarship has to be spelled out in detail and signed at the same time. a verbal commitment carries with it no binding commitment from either side. neither side is "committed". division 3 is expressly barred from LOIs because there are no athletic schollys.

there is still another signing period coming up, but it's safe to say with all the early recruiting in lacrosse and no spring season, that everyone that was going to sign and lock up money has. the only way a coach could bail on a recruit at this late date is to somehow block or not help him get in academically. most acceptances are already done.

the most likely scenario we are looking at is that players leave teams every year for all sorts of reasons. that frees up money which is normally then distributed. in this case, it could be distributed to a transfer or 2.

These are semantics. I know Women's Volleyball players for example, that go somewhere knowing they are not getting any $ as a freshman, but then go on scholarship as their roles grow to starting positions years 2-3-4. Is that person a scholarship player or recruited walk on? The argument can be made to say "both." I'm curious myself to go deeper and will come across some people with more knowledge of this in near future and perhaps repost what the exact phrasing and labeling would be.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

It is semantics but to be clear the only players that actually sign an LOI are D1 and D2 athletes who are receiving a scholarship in their freshman year. In Lacrosse this probably accounts for less than half of the D1 players I don’t know about D2. Every senior regardless of scholarships or division gets a picture taken on singling day, but the reality is most are not actually signing an LOI. In my unscientific estimation, if a D1 team brings in 12 freshmen 4 or 5 are actually getting athletic money.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wrhuradio wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 pm there is no such thing as a recruited walk on signing an LOI. it is against nc$$ rules.

These are semantics. I know Women's Volleyball players for example, that go somewhere knowing they are not getting any $ as a freshman, but then go on scholarship as their roles grow to starting positions years 2-3-4. Is that person a scholarship player or recruited walk on? The argument can be made to say "both." I'm curious myself to go deeper and will come across some people with more knowledge of this in near future and perhaps repost what the exact phrasing and labeling would be.
That’s true for recruited players that get no money coming in also. There is no guarantee that the walk on will eventually get money. I am sure Kology was awarded money and he wasn’t even a preferred walk on. It happens. Scholarship players are also run off or have their money cut.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

What are the ramifications going to be if this virus doesn’t slow down? or does and reappears in the fall?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

wrhuradio wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:06 am 1st - loi's signed in the fall... that's a commitment to receive scholarship money. with even partials, i'm assuming the number is spelled out for the next year as the athlete is giving up rights. i also don't recall any players not landing after signing an nli.
1- Recruited walkons DO sign LOI's. Because they are 1-year deals, say a player signs an LOI but his deal with the coach is year 1 they get no money, year 2 they get 10%, and so on as their role increases.
Scenarios that you see players that sign LOIs that dont make it have to do with not getting the financial aid packages they were expecting (other than athletic $) not qualifying academically. Look at the rosters annually at Nassau CC. You'll see guys there that were reportedly verbally committed to Div 1 programs that dont make it there.
This is not including coaching changes that occur which opens up floodgates even more.

Unfortunately we can't cross reference enough information on this since very very few Div. 1 programs announce their November signees, but coaches like to announce their recruited walkons signings too when there are releases. Look at Div 1/FCS Football programs

2-Yes, the kids appear to be protected of the percentage of $ they are getting in 2020. However, it wouldnt be the first time a player is 'recruited over" and then the choice becomes Do I stay or try to go elsewhere.
Is this like paying for a "conversation", instead a "RobbieKraft ending" ? What is a recruit walkon?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

From Chris Jastrzembski twitter
Some new players that are on the transfer portal:

Josh Kirson (Ohio State)
Charles Leonard (Notre Dame)
Austin Popovich (Robert Morris)
Morgan Macko (Bellarmine)
PJ Delpha (Hobart)
Sam Lucchesi (Hobart)
Davis Cronin (Merrimack)
Jay Scerbo (Seton Hill)
Otto Bohan (Wesleyan)
wrhuradio

Post by wrhuradio »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:30 am
wrhuradio wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm

Is this like paying for a "conversation", instead a "RobbieKraft ending" ? What is a recruit walkon?
runrussellrun: A recruited walk-on is a common term, also know as a preferred walkon. It's a player that coaches have specifically targeted and invited to their programs to walk-on, (or play for free). Typically its someone the coaches feel would be great practice or program players, high academic kids, and sometimes they see as possible future scholarship players so they offer them to walkon with the chance to earn $ in the future.
It's like being an intern as a college athlete.

You'll hear the term "true walkon" mentioned; that's when a guy is not known by the coaching staff and shows up for regular student body walkon tryouts, and makes the team.

In lacrosse, 3rd and & 4th goalies have a lot of recruited walkons. It's very hard to justify paying those goalies much more than a token amount but you have to have them as insurance policies because it is a position of high injury risk.

Same in Men's & Women's Soccer. In Men's soccer at 9.9 scholarships you normally can't justify paying a 3rd goalie anything more than a small percentage unless you have great scholarship savings elsewhere on the team that are highly productive players relative to their cost.

In college football- FBS/FCS rosters are loaded with recruited walkons. backup QBs, Kickers, Punters, Long-snappers comprise a chunk of recruited walk-ons, and down the road you see some of them go on full scholarship, usually senior years or when they are no doubt starters and a late scholarship popped up in August due to a transfer, injury retirement etc. Coaches do this because as an industry they feel they are not worth full scholarships. FBS limit is 85 FCS limit is 64. FBS Coaches would rather have a 13th offensive lineman than spend a scholarship on a long snapper, that could not even end up being the starter and then they consider them dead weight.
You'll see say 4 Kickers on Alabama's roster- the starter is sometimes on scholarship, the other 3 are not. When the starter graduates, its possible the new starter in spring practice earns a scholarship for the next year if he appears to be that rock solid.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

wrhuradio wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:38 pm runrussellrun: A recruited walk-on is a common term, also know as a preferred walkon.
Sample size of one... but I’ve never heard either term. Now I have. Thank you.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RumorMill wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 pm
wrhuradio wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:38 pm runrussellrun: A recruited walk-on is a common term, also know as a preferred walkon.
Sample size of one... but I’ve never heard either term. Now I have. Thank you.
Yes. One kid I know was starting at Bryant this past season.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:48 am Ohio State’s Christian Tomei has announced that he has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/03/31/o ... er-portal/
The bio that was attached to the above post included the following:

He also earned first-team all-state and all-region honors all four years in high school.

As a senior, Tomei made 235 saves in 21 Games (11.1 per game) and was named Mr. Florida Lacrosse.

Christian is a good goalie no doubt (I have seen him play many times), but my son was also a 2019 goalie in Florida (same year as Tomei) and in Florida there is no such thing as "all-state" (admittedly, Florida is weird), nor is there such thing as "Mr. Florida Lacrosse," and I don't think there is such a thing as "all-region." All-Region and All-State honors are reserved for individual sports (as far as I know, and all of my three kids were HS athletes). FL sports awards for lacrosse are much more localized, basically All-District and All- Area teams (determined by local media). I am a big fan of Florida lacrosse despite moving back to NE almost as soon as my youngest graduated from HS. I am proud of the success that Bernhardt and Salcido have had, and I root for all FL players.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Explains why the portal crashed the other day. The Ivy students must have gotten word early and flooded the portal.

Going to be interesting to see how many go the Gallagher (UPenn) route and head to the portal or go the Sowers route and withdraw from classes.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 pm
Explains why the portal crashed the other day. The Ivy students must have gotten word early and flooded the portal.

Going to be interesting to see how many go the Gallagher (UPenn) route and head to the portal or go the Sowers route and withdraw from classes.

Sowers said he didn't withdraw yet. Either way, don't know whether it's possible for all of them to do that, the Ivy probably isn't going to just let them withdraw and come back

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”