All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 am
The point is Trump was engaged in the same behavior and the poster told him to just stfu.
Trump is in NO WAY WHATSOEVER emulating either FDR or his spouse as leaders during a crisis. It wasn't about the Roosevelts back then just as it isn't about Trump right now.
You don';t have any clue whatsoever how Trumps behavior is different than the Roosevelts. Except in your tiny TDS mind.
:roll:
Tell us, O Great Mind, of your exhaustive knowledge of Roosevelt.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:42 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:30 am
foreverlax wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:19 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:23 am SO, forever STOP posting.......any of you....if you can't list 5 things that the POTUSA should have done differently.
While we are waiting, Trump could have simply kept his MF mouth shut...but no, he had to tell us his lies.
We don't need 5 reasons. We need one. And that one is precisely what Forever is saying. Trump lied. It's the staple of his presidency, of his life. Lying. He put how he would look, how the market would react ahead of people's health, people's lives. And, as a direct consequence, the US's reaction to this virus was slower than necessary.

You must be REALLY upset then with how the Swedish government is responding to Covid!
Why don't you detail for us how Sweden is handling this, PB?
Testing, PPE, social distancing, etc. How are they handling it, specifically?

I've been paying attention to how the first hit countries responded for lessons good and bad, and paying particular attention to how the US is handling. After all, I ain't Swedish.

But if they too are fouling up their response, I have no doubt we would have zero difficulty agreeing as to their errors.

'fouling up' = judging another by what you do not know yourself

The TDS brigade is using this issue to further battle Trump, even though the statistics appear to be squarely in the camp of this being an over-reaction of fear, but perhaps a justified reaction of concern on the number of available beds/ventilators for those who will die.

Anyhoo, Sweden’s government has adopted a “business as usual” mentality in response to the pandemic. Schools, restaurants, malls, and ski slopes all remain open until further notice. The only rules in place are a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people and an order forcing restaurants and bars to seat all customers to avoid overcrowding. This suggests that people are taking their fear cues from their government more than they are from the actual risk of the disease.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmar ... 4e9cda3870

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inside-swe ... 1585598175
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Kismet wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 am
And FDR told lies for the next 7 years while the depression and 20% unemployment continued.
Here are FDRs election totals for each of his first two terms -

1932 (First term) - 57.1% of the popular vote; EV 472-59; 43/48 states

1936 (after allegedly lying for 4 years according to you) -60.8% of the popular vote; EV 523-8; 48/50 states

The point was (and still is) that leaders in times of great travails speak as positively as they can even if it means sometimes putting a little more lipstick on a pig from time to time to give people hope. Washington did it. Lincoln did it also. The current occupant is a congenital prevaricator who only is looking out for himself and his cronies (including his family). Just yesterday we had to listen to him brag that he has the biggest Facebook audience like that really matters in the current scheme of things.

Read up on how First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt completely changed the menus at the White House during the depression and earned a reputation for serving terrible food - she was trying to set an example for those citizens who were eating sparely during tough economic times and therefore those eating at the WH also ate accordingly.
of course it doesn't matter. I had ZERO idea that tRump said this. You know why? b/c I don't care about this gossip.

Do you agree with us SHZ's, that THE FACE-libre, does NOT matter? Than, why is it deemed "e$$ential" ??????

you all should be worried about other things....this virus is......oh, why bother. tRump sucks b'c he lies, not b/c he's grabbing "power". You must be the type of lax coaches that think warming up like a Marine Corp Drill team matters when it comes to winning games.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 am
The point is Trump was engaged in the same behavior and the poster told him to just stfu.
Trump is in NO WAY WHATSOEVER emulating either FDR or his spouse as leaders during a crisis. It wasn't about the Roosevelts back then just as it isn't about Trump right now.
You don';t have any clue whatsoever how Trumps behavior is different than the Roosevelts. Except in your tiny TDS mind.
Thx for telling me how I think and how to think.......something I'd expect from the Chicoms!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If my mind is tiny, yours must be microscopic. :oops: Have a nice day! :P
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:47 am
And FDR told lies for the next 7 years while the depression and 20% unemployment continued.

1936 (after allegedly lying for 4 years according to you) -60.8% of the popular vote; EV 523-8; 48/50 states

The point was (and still is) that leaders in times of great travails speak as positively as they can even if it means sometimes putting a little more lipstick on a pig from time to time to give people hope. Washington did it. Lincoln did it also. The current occupant is a congenital prevaricator who only is looking out for himself and his cronies (including his family). Just yesterday we had to listen to him brag that he has the biggest Facebook audience like that really matters in the current scheme of things.

Read up on how First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt completely changed the menus at the White House during the depression and earned a reputation for serving terrible food - she was trying to set an example for those citizens who were eating sparely during tough economic times and therefore those eating at the WH also ate accordingly.
… it would actually help with his re-election campaign.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:00 am

Definitely not the same behavior, not even remotely close unfortunately...if it was the same behavior many of us on here would applaud that.

That's where you seem to not understand, tediously so, simply out of some Red Team Blue Team fixation.
What a liar. For you Trump sucks and Trump will always suck.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

How??????

Georgia Gov. Kemp says he just recently learned asymptomatic people could transmit coronavirus: "We didn't know that until the last 24 hours."

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch ... d_ms_tw_ma

He should resign today!
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Not a bad idea or premise. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Have you checked your pants for fire? :P
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:09 am How??????

Georgia Gov. Kemp says he just recently learned asymptomatic people could transmit coronavirus: "We didn't know that until the last 24 hours."

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch ... d_ms_tw_ma

He should resign today!
Yup.. Saw this last night. It's the latest Trumpnista strategy.

"Nobody knew this was a pandemic! I though it was a pandemic before anyone was calling it a pandemic ..." Donald Trump :lol:
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:23 am SO, forever STOP posting.......any of you....if you can't list 5 things that the POTUSA should have done differently.
While we are waiting, Trump could have simply kept his MF mouth shut...but no, he had to tell us his lies.
We don't need 5 reasons. We need one. And that one is precisely what Forever is saying. Trump lied. It's the staple of his presidency, of his life. Lying. He put how he would look, how the market would react ahead of people's health, people's lives. And, as a direct consequence, the US's reaction to this virus was slower than necessary.

You must be REALLY upset then with how the Swedish government is responding to Covid!

I've been paying attention to how the first hit countries responded for lessons good and bad, and paying particular attention to how the US is handling. After all, I ain't Swedish.

But if they too are fouling up their response, I have no doubt we would have zero difficulty agreeing as to their errors.

The TDS brigade is using this issue to further battle Trump, even though the statistics appear to be squarely in the camp of this being an over-reaction of fear, but perhaps a justified reaction of concern on the number of available beds/ventilators for those who will die.

Anyhoo, Sweden’s government has adopted a “business as usual” mentality in response to the pandemic. Schools, restaurants, malls, and ski slopes all remain open until further notice. The only rules in place are a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people and an order forcing restaurants and bars to seat all customers to avoid overcrowding. This suggests that people are taking their fear cues from their government more than they are from the actual risk of the disease.

No, Trump and his Admin royally "fouled up". No question.
And they are still "fouling up" even as I write this, unfortunately.
Arrogance and incompetence.
And lying.

Ok, re Sweden.
They appear to be fouling up as well on social distancing, though what I don't see is data about testing and selective quarantining ala SK.
But if I take the articles as accurate, and I have no reason not to, sure sounds like they have some arrogance as well. The US is certainly not the only non s-hole country to be arrogant, nor is Trump the only arrogant or incompetent leader in the world. He's just the most important such.

SK, Singapore, Hong Kong etc had populaces that immediately recognized the threat along with their governments.

Sounds like the Swedes do not. That would predict that this will bite them hard, unless the piece that is missing is that they are aggressively testing and isolating in order to manage it that way.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

I had no idea tRump was peeing, eating and defecating for me........every single day.

Medical community has deaths on it's hands. Why does the CDC exist, regardless of what TAATS sits in the OvalO or on the Hill. ?

What do we have more of? Useless F-35 killing jets or ventilators. exactly
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:07 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:00 am

Definitely not the same behavior, not even remotely close unfortunately...if it was the same behavior many of us on here would applaud that.

That's where you seem to not understand, tediously so, simply out of some Red Team Blue Team fixation.
now I'm a "liar" 6ft?
Really?

Yes, I'm confident that Trump cannot change his character at his age.
I really don't think he'll have an epiphany and 'find God', though that's what it would take to totally change the man.
Meanwhile, he is what he is. Including being our POTUS.

But if he does something good or better than previously I have no difficulty saying so.
Just this week I applauded the change in direction, the taking the advice of the scientists.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

As people are understandably talking about The Great Depression I thought I'd share what I think are three of the best books written about the topic. It is a subject I've always been strongly engaged with, especially since growing up with so many first-hand stories from my parents and others.

1. The American People in the Great Depression: Freedom from Fear, Part One by David Kennedy

2. The Great Depression: America 1929-1941 by Robert McElvaine

3. The Great Depression: America in the 1930s by T. H. Watkins
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Andersen wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:22 am As people are understandably talking about The Great Depression I thought I'd share what I think are three of the best books written about the topic. It is a subject I've always been strongly engaged with, especially since growing up with so many first-hand stories from my parents and others.

1. The American People in the Great Depression: Freedom from Fear, Part One by David Kennedy

👍
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Andersen wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:22 am As people are understandably talking about The Great Depression I thought I'd share what I think are three of the best books written about the topic. It is a subject I've always been strongly engaged with, especially since growing up with so many first-hand stories from my parents and others.

As someone more familiar with the subject—If we continue on our current shut down how soon do you think before we're all in a second great depression?

6.8 MILLION seeking unemployment in todays report.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:48 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:42 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:34 am
Joe Biden can improve on the USA medical communities response, to ANY pandemic, by repeating, over and over, "tRump lied"

got it. :roll:
You defense, non defense of Trump has been non stop. Hi Kellyanne
Notice you don't reply the same to WGDRS.............you really don't think people are sick of the useless, non productive, TDS?

Out of 200 plus pages , how much "information" that will help protect our neighbors, or older folks, has been presented in this thread. 5%....would be HIGH. You and yours lowering invest/MGMT fees to help , TLD
You have defended him 100% of the time other than the “I really don’t like him, but”
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

tRump was a TV "star" in the year 2010, no? (bold/Itl mine )

Ten years ago, the medical community KNEW we had a shortage. Did nothing ;) .....but apply for more RE$earch grants to watch their 990 investment income reach the billions......

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21149215

Mechanical ventilators in US acute care hospitals.
Rubinson L1, Vaughn F, Nelson S, Giordano S, Kallstrom T, Buckley T, Burney T, Hupert N, Mutter R, Handrigan M, Yeskey K, Lurie N, Branson R.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
The supply and distribution of mechanical ventilation capacity is of profound importance for planning for severe public health emergencies. However, the capability of US health systems to provide mechanical ventilation for children and adults remains poorly quantified. The objective of this study was to determine the quantity of adult and pediatric mechanical ventilators at US acute care hospitals.

METHODS:
A total of 5,752 US acute care hospitals included in the 2007 American Hospital Association database were surveyed. We measured the quantities of mechanical ventilators and their features.

RESULTS:
Responding to the survey were 4305 (74.8%) hospitals, which accounted for 83.8% of US intensive care unit beds. Of the 52,118 full-feature mechanical ventilators owned by respondent hospitals, 24,204 (46.4%) are pediatric/neonatal capable. Accounting for nonrespondents, we estimate that there are 62,188 full-feature mechanical ventilators owned by US acute care hospitals. The median number of full-feature mechanical ventilators per 100,000 population for individual states is 19.7 (interquartile ratio 17.2-23.1), ranging from 11.9 to 77.6. The median number of pediatric-capable device full-feature mechanical ventilators per 100,000 population younger than 14 years old is 52.3 (interquartile ratio 43.1-63.9) and the range across states is 22.1 to 206.2. In addition, respondent hospitals reported owning 82,755 ventilators other than full-feature mechanical ventilators; we estimate that there are 98,738 devices other than full-feature ventilators at all of the US acute care hospitals.

CONCLUSIONS:
The number of mechanical ventilators per US population exceeds those reported by other developed countries, but there is wide variation across states in the population-adjusted supply. There are considerably more pediatric-capable ventilators than there are for adults only on a population-adjusted basis.

Comment in
Survey of mechanical ventilators in US acute care hospitals: a baseline for critical care surge capacity planning. [Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2010]

blaming ANY politician, first...and often.....is pathetic.

;) according to "sources", the USA has 150-160k ventalotors......that is 100k more than in 2010. Has our population increased by that same percentage, or demographics (living longer, older ) ?

What are the numbers for adequate ventolators? 500k? What does billy bath Gates and the MElinda found somation have to say about that? He has NO college degree, why listen to that type of person who can't finish something as important as obtaining a college diploma?
Last edited by runrussellrun on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 am
Joe Biden can improve on the USA medical communities response, to ANY pandemic, by repeating, over and over, "tRump lied"

Notice you don't reply the same to WGDRS.............you really don't think people are sick of the useless, non productive, TDS?

Out of 200 plus pages , how much "information" that will help protect our neighbors, or older folks, has been presented in this thread. 5%....would be HIGH. You and yours lowering invest/MGMT fees to help , TLD
You have defended him 100% of the time other than the “I really don’t like him, but”
And youve been bleating about him for 4 years. Fake scandal after fake scandal. Coming up empty time and time again. Of course you'll use death and dying Americans cause you got nothing else.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 am

No, Trump and his Admin royally "fouled up". No question.
And they are still "fouling up" even as I write this, unfortunately.
Arrogance and incompetence.
And lying.

Ok, re Sweden.
They appear to be fouling up as well on social distancing, though what I don't see is data about testing and selective quarantining ala SK.
But if I take the articles as accurate, and I have no reason not to, sure sounds like they have some arrogance as well. The US is certainly not the only non s-hole country to be arrogant, nor is Trump the only arrogant or incompetent leader in the world. He's just the most important such.

SK, Singapore, Hong Kong etc had populaces that immediately recognized the threat along with their governments.

Sounds like the Swedes do not. That would predict that this will bite them hard, unless the piece that is missing is that they are aggressively testing and isolating in order to manage it that way.
Sweden is definitely undertesting, a factor of 5 to 10 at least. Curve shows no signs of doing anything other than going up. Norway right next door is doing a great job given the numbers I see. Testing seems to be good. Their curve appears to be peaking and perhaps starting to rollover. A Nordic South Korea.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:30 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 am

And youve been bleating about him for 4 years. Fake scandal after fake scandal. Coming up empty time and time again. Of course you'll use death and dying Americans cause you got nothing else.
That's right. A "democrat hoax".

Return to “POLITICS”