All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Peter Brown

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

Underlying health issues.

Now, obesity.

This is the first study showing that obesity, especially in men, significantly increases the risk of developing severe pneumonia in COVID-19 patients. As the 2019n-Cov may continue to spread worldwide, clinicians should maintain a high level of attention in obese patients. Obese patients should be carefully managed with prompt and aggressive treatment.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3556658

I’m beginning to think this virus isn’t the Black Plague, folks. Data coming in fast that is showing who is and who is not vulnerable.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:31 pm Underlying health issues.

Now, obesity.

This is the first study showing that obesity, especially in men, significantly increases the risk of developing severe pneumonia in COVID-19 patients. As the 2019n-Cov may continue to spread worldwide, clinicians should maintain a high level of attention in obese patients. Obese patients should be carefully managed with prompt and aggressive treatment.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3556658

I’m beginning to think this virus isn’t the Black Plague, folks. Data coming in fast that is showing who is and who is not vulnerable.
This has been known for a month, at least. I think CDC had it on their original comorbidity list.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
njbill

Post by njbill »

Better tell Donald.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:25 pm My friend that owns a small producer/natural wine store is doing business like its Xmas. Through the roof. They’ve moved to order and pickup at the door or have it delivered. No in store sales anymore for their own safety. She is appalled at how many older people were coming with no health concerns. She is now getting access to wines at a severe discount that were previously allocated to restaurants whose sales are squatah. High demand wines.
Good score for her but a bummer for those restaurants. They're letting restaurants here in Virginia sell beer & wine to-go now to help keep the lights on. It also helps reduce multiple contacts when going out for goods.
Last edited by holmes435 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 pm DHS on State of National Stockpile.
Hopefully we can ramp up production quickly.

At the very least, I hope we learn some lessons about what levels we need to stockpile in case something more deadly comes along in the future.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:58 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:43 pm US body count just hit 5094.

1237 deaths today, at this point.

I know the rabid Dems here don’t want to embrace this, but:

The twilight of the immune system. Not many of you have anything to fear, unless:

It is not chronological age alone that determines how one does in the face of a life-threatening infection such as Covid-19,” cautioned geriatrician and gerontologist George Kuchel of the University of Connecticut. “Having multiple chronic diseases and frailty is in many ways as or more important than chronological age. An 80-year-old who is otherwise healthy and not frail might be more resilient in fighting off infection than a 60-year-old with many chronic conditions.” Reason: She may have a younger immune system.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/30/wha ... r-elderly/
It is quite interesting that is preying on and exploiting pre-existing conditions. On the worldometer website they also attempt to assign percentages of death to those with cancer, diabetes, hypertension, and chronic respiratory issues. Less the .4% under age 49 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

holmes435 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:49 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 pm DHS on State of National Stockpile.
Hopefully we can ramp up production quickly.

At the very least, I hope we learn some lessons about what levels we need to stockpile in case something more deadly comes along in the future.
All of this is not Trump's fault, but his defensive behavior makes it all worse. Denial is his natural state.

Heard a report that half of the ventilators in the national stockpile don't work. They are off maintenance contract. Don't know whether I believe the first half of the report, that they don't work. Easy to believe the second. They went off maintenance in 2018. I'll reserve judgment until I see it in print from a reliable source.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:56 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:29 pm Wolf has put in place a stay at home order for all of Pennsylvania.
Well, I won that bet...though PB never put his bet down...

Was out walking the dog wondering what posts I was missing only to discover this unannounced bet! The last time you chimed in on a bet I made was you telling me I lost a bet to wgsdr for the Hounds not finishing top-3 in the country for defensive efficiency, even though only 1/3 of a season was played due to an act of God!

Anyway, do you owe me money? I have to believe you are at your house. I might just show up with a mask on. :lol:

So the bet apparently was that Wolf would lock down PA before Ron locked down FL, and naturally the Republican won. Same old song.

2 dozen jumbo crabs as well as some very cold Grosch lager, thanks. I will be up there this summer.

(btw, I could have hopped on a nice KingAir 350i yesterday headed to BWI airport; 2 pax; told me to jump onboard, but my dog said no)

:lol:
:D
That would have been a fun bet, but no, I simply bet Wolf would announce today or tomorrow at the latest.

But, bet or no bet, I'll spring for crabs on the patio, you bring the cold beer.
Good exchange for that flight!

Stay well.

Dog pics welcome.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:25 pm My friend that owns a small producer/natural wine store is doing business like its Xmas. Through the roof. They’ve moved to order and pickup at the door or have it delivered. No in store sales anymore for their own safety. She is appalled at how many older people were coming with no health concerns. She is now getting access to wines at a severe discount that were previously allocated to restaurants whose sales are squatah. High demand wines.
Interesting re wine.

I was talking with a pal of mine in Switzerland last night, big buyer of wines, huge cellar. Fun guy to visit. I joked that he wouldn't be running out of sustenance, he laughed and said he'd actually calculated the total calories...math guy.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:58 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:43 pm US body count just hit 5094.

1237 deaths today, at this point.

I know the rabid Dems here don’t want to embrace this, but:

The twilight of the immune system. Not many of you have anything to fear, unless:

It is not chronological age alone that determines how one does in the face of a life-threatening infection such as Covid-19,” cautioned geriatrician and gerontologist George Kuchel of the University of Connecticut. “Having multiple chronic diseases and frailty is in many ways as or more important than chronological age. An 80-year-old who is otherwise healthy and not frail might be more resilient in fighting off infection than a 60-year-old with many chronic conditions.” Reason: She may have a younger immune system.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/30/wha ... r-elderly/
It is quite interesting that is preying on and exploiting pre-existing conditions. On the worldometer website they also attempt to assign percentages of death to those with cancer, diabetes, hypertension, and chronic respiratory issues. Less the .4% under age 49 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/
Again, this is not new. These kinds of reports were coming out of China. I believe most deaths are pneumonia, caused by rona weakening the immune system through the comorbidities. That's why the docs put you on antibiotics. Does nothing against the virus, you are left on your own to fight the virus, best you can.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 pm I thought today’s incredible, awesome press con was pretty incredible and awesome. If you missed it the majority of questions were answered with “we’re looking into it” or “we’re working on it. Those were the answers I gave my parents when looking for a homework status. It means we have no freakin clue. However, we can be sure that things are getting done today like no civilization has ever seen before.
Who would have thought?

No one's ever seen anything like this before...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:05 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 pm I thought today’s incredible, awesome press con was pretty incredible and awesome. If you missed it the majority of questions were answered with “we’re looking into it” or “we’re working on it. Those were the answers I gave my parents when looking for a homework status. It means we have no freakin clue. However, we can be sure that things are getting done today like no civilization has ever seen before.
Who would have thought?

No one's ever seen anything like this before...
It was pretty much a stinker. Still love Trump riffing on how the answer to the restaurant problem is reinstating the business lunch tax deduction that never went away. :lol:
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Great graph from Financial Times:
EUjJbSqXkAcXfNo.jpg
EUjJbSqXkAcXfNo.jpg (182.26 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Michigan really taking off (hitting Detroit and metro area around it hard). Looking like an earlier version of NY. NJ/LA tracking together as are FL/CA. WA doing best I think because the initial scare there lead to better overall behavior, earlier.

Other than WA, not a lot of "curve bending" yet in USA state data...

(these are log plots, so don't confuse them with linears). A straight line here is an exponential curve in a linear plot.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:46 pm So the bet apparently was that Wolf would lock down PA before Ron locked down FL, and naturally the Republican won.
Nice try Pete. The Pennsylvania order went into effect an hour ago. Florida’s doesn’t go into effect until tomorrow. Seems to me that’s how we keep score.

Otherwise, you’ve had a good day in the bon mot department. Bravo.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:46 pm So the bet apparently was that Wolf would lock down PA before Ron locked down FL, and naturally the Republican won.
Nice try Pete. The Pennsylvania order went into effect an hour ago. Florida’s doesn’t go into effect until tomorrow. Seems to me that’s how we keep score.

Hopefully, some day the Keystone State will smarten up and go Blue again.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 pm

:lol:
Bill's invited for crabs too...come to think of it, it could be fun to get a whole crew of you guys out on the patio! 🦀

Salty could come up from Annapolis, Kram and Cooter are local, TLD down...

gotta get through this mess...
njbill

Post by njbill »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:21 pm Hopefully, some day the Keystone State will smarten up and go Blue again.
Feeling good about 2020. (I hope.)
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:21 pm Hopefully, some day the Keystone State will smarten up and go Blue again.
Feeling good about 2020. (I hope.)

Strangely, even though tRUMP's actions in this crisis have been a complete mess, his ratings have gone up:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... nsylvania/

Have Keystoners become a bunch of lemmings?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “POLITICS”