Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by stupefied »

Laxsmitty wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:22 pm I would hope the school would make a decision quickly for everyone's sake including Coach P. I am sure he would like some certainty on his own future. Plus if he is talking to kids in the portal I am sure they want some certainty as well. I expect them to bring him back since the season was cut short but not sure that is the right decision as I think he has lost the kids with his style of coaching.

The NCAA also needs to hurry up and decide (sorry if I missed it) whether the athletes get a year back or not. You can't just give it to senior and not the rest of the players it is either all players or none get an extra year of eligibility. I am sure teams want to know if their kids are coming back as well or need to tell the kids if they want them back.
Agree on your sensical points.

Bad form to leave people twisting in the winds. Hopefully NCAA has had enough time to study and render a decision. Hopefully Petro is being properly communicated with.

Also agree that eligibility decision should be applied one way or the other across the board to avoid inequities. Really a bit of a mess that the NCAA blurt got itself into without considering all the ramifications Focus here is on lax but there are many other spring sports that include championships.

Baseball (M)
Beach Volleyball (W)
Golf (M & W)
Lacrosse (M)
Lacrosse (W)
Rowing (W)
Softball (W)
Tennis (M & W)
Outdoor Track & Field (M & W)
Volleyball (M)
Water Polo (W)
viper

Post by viper »

stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:16 pm Odds on Petro returning 53 %

Top 8 candidates to replace
jhu06
steel_hop
wes craven
Ocanada
nadelen
Mightyjoe
Peter Brown
viper
I'm top 10!!!!!! Awesome!!!!! The 9 year olds I coach will be disappointed though since I'm the only one of 5 coaches (mostly dads) who doesn't get crazy on the sidelines.....
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

viper wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:42 pm
stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:16 pm Odds on Petro returning 53 %

Top 8 candidates to replace
jhu06
steel_hop
wes craven
Ocanada
nadelen
Mightyjoe
Peter Brown
viper
I'm top 10!!!!!! Awesome!!!!! The 9 year olds I coach will be disappointed though since I'm the only one of 5 coaches (mostly dads) who doesn't get crazy on the sidelines.....
Lol. :lol:
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:36 pm 35% Nadelen
15% Marr
10% Raymond
5% Holman
5% Alberici
5% Wray
5% Chemotti
5% Murphy
5% Torpey
5% A current D1 assistant
1% Seth Tierney
1% Bill Tierney
1% Voelker
0.5% Shay
0.5% Warne
0.25% Tillman
0.25% Toomey
0.25% Myers
0.24% A current high school coach
0.01% DocBarrister
Good list!

I'm curious: is there a reason why there isn't much more chatter around Peter Milliman in "next hot name" exercises like this? Guy takes over at Cornell as interim 3 years ago, to a general reaction of "who?"; since then he's posted a .737 winning %, won an NCAA game on the road, and had the #2 team in both polls when the lights went out. Seems to be regarded as a great recruiter, very positive energy guy. Yet he checks in with infinitesimal odds on a sheet that includes the likes of DocBarrister and Seth Tierney. This is a genuine question, and not necessarily directed at HF16 -- what's up with that?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Homer wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:26 pm
15% Marr
10% Raymond
5% Holman
5% Alberici
5% Wray
5% Chemotti
5% Murphy
5% Torpey
1% Seth Tierney
1% Bill Tierney
1% Voelker
0.5% Shay
0.5% Warne
0.25% Tillman
0.25% Toomey
0.25% Myers
0.01% DocBarrister
Good list!

I'm curious: is there a reason why there isn't much more chatter around Peter Milliman in "next hot name" exercises like this? Guy takes over at Cornell as interim 3 years ago, to a general reaction of "who?"; since then he's posted a .737 winning %, won an NCAA game on the road, and had the #2 team in both polls when the lights went out. Seems to be regarded as a great recruiter, very positive energy guy. Yet he checks in with infinitesimal odds on a sheet that includes the likes of DocBarrister and Seth Tierney. This is a genuine question, and not necessarily directed at HF16 -- what's up with that?
Hey, if Trump can be president of the United States without any prior government experience, then I can be the next head coach of Johns Hopkins Men’s Lacrosse.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

15% Marr
10% Raymond
5% Holman
5% Alberici
5% Wray
5% Chemotti
5% Murphy
5% Torpey
1% Seth Tierney
1% Bill Tierney
1% Voelker
0.5% Shay
0.5% Warne
0.25% Tillman
0.25% Toomey
0.25% Myers
0.01% DocBarrister
Good list!

Look what happened to the last Cornell coach we got.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Homer wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:26 pm Good list!

He probably should be included in that group of coaches. One reason he may not be is he already has a pretty good gig, and it's unclear how many jobs would technically qualify as a "step up" from his current situation. With all due respect to High Point, St. Joe's, etc., not sure you can say the same for Torpey and Wray and some of those other guys.

As far as the Hopkins job specifically, Milliman would be an interesting name to throw out there but his experience would at surface level at least seem like a bit of an odd fit to me. He has no ties to the school, to the Big Ten, to the Maryland area, or really to any teams remotely within Hop's orbit except for one year as an assistant at Princeton, long after Tierney left. He hasn't coached anywhere south of Pennsylvania except for a brief stint coaching at Division II Pfeiffer in NC. It's quite possible none of this matters. If you can coach, you can coach. And if you crush the interview process, it doesn't really matter how/where you've got your experience—plus his most recent work at Cornell is obviously most important. Just doesn't really seem to me like the guy they'd go after, nor does it seem like he'd want to leave. Rochester native, he seems like a New York guy through and through. Maybe that's wrong. I'd probably put him on the list if the Cuse job opened up however.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 am

He probably should be included in that group of coaches. One reason he may not be is he already has a pretty good gig, and it's unclear how many jobs would technically qualify as a "step up" from his current situation. With all due respect to High Point, St. Joe's, etc., not sure you can say the same for Torpey and Wray and some of those other guys.

As far as the Hopkins job specifically, Milliman would be an interesting name to throw out there but his experience would at surface level at least seem like a bit of an odd fit to me. He has no ties to the school, to the Big Ten, to the Maryland area, or really to any teams remotely within Hop's orbit except for one year as an assistant at Princeton, long after Tierney left. He hasn't coached anywhere south of Pennsylvania except for a brief stint coaching at Division II Pfeiffer in NC. It's quite possible none of this matters. If you can coach, you can coach. And if you crush the interview process, it doesn't really matter how/where you've got your experience—plus his most recent work at Cornell is obviously most important. Just doesn't really seem to me like the guy they'd go after, nor does it seem like he'd want to leave. Rochester native, he seems like a New York guy through and through. Maybe that's wrong. I'd probably put him on the list if the Cuse job opened up however.
Thanks, that all makes sense. I wasn't sure where he'd grown up. I guess I'm still stuck on the idea that the guys at the Ivies are always potentially movable to some extent. I know some say times have changed in that regard, and that may well be true. Then again, the other thing you'd maybe wonder about Milliman is -- how competitive is his package, given the way he came into the job? Using the interim tag and then making it permanent can sometimes mean setting a lower salary floor compared to doing a national search. No inside info at all, just another possible variable at that surface level.

BTW: isn't lacrosse such a wonderful little world? Where the Ivies are seen as scrappy underdogs that struggle to hang on to homegrown talent, and Central New York is regarded as a super difficult place to relocate people from. ;)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

“how competitive is his package”

Uh... I don’t think I want to know that.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Homer wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:58 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 am
BTW: isn't lacrosse such a wonderful little world? Where the Ivies are seen as scrappy underdogs that struggle to hang on to homegrown talent, and Central New York is regarded as a super difficult place to relocate people from. ;)
this is one of my favorite moments every year. When elite schools that charge $70k a year refer to their players "blue collar mentality".
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Zero media All-America honors for the Jays for the shortened season. I think you can make a statistical argument for Garrett Degnon as an honorable mention midfielder—he had more goals per game and a far better shooting % than a few of the guys listed above him, but the 2-4 team start probably had an impact. Not sure there's another Blue Jay with any kind of case. Prouty was having a good year but was still just 20th in the country in FO%. Of course Epstein would have been a likely candidate if not for the injury but them's the breaks.

The team is doing another replay on YouTube, this time the 2011 overtime comeback win at Maryland with live commentary/Q&A from Chris Lightner. The last one was pretty cool to follow: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 7243395080
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Just got an email from the Coach.
He's heavily planning for Fall.
Does not sound like this staff is going anywhere.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:07 pm Just got an email from the Coach.
Good to hear.

Give Petro one more shot with a 2021 team loaded with young talent.

Don’t get many do overs in life. Coach deserves this one.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:07 pm Just got an email from the Coach.
Good to hear.

DocBarrister 8-)
Awesome. Can't wait to watch another year of poor fundamentals, poor defense and generally poor play.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I think that came out yesterday.

1APRIL
1APRIL
BD5DD554-9716-42DC-938F-AABEABB700B9.jpeg (24.9 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Dixon has an interview with him up on the b1g twitter. Outwardly this continues to function like a staff going nowhere.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

15% Marr
10% Raymond
5% Holman
5% Alberici
5% Wray
5% Chemotti
5% Murphy
5% Torpey
1% Seth Tierney
1% Bill Tierney
1% Voelker
0.5% Shay
0.5% Warne
0.25% Tillman
0.25% Toomey
0.25% Myers
0.01% DocBarrister
Good list!

Keep your hands off Cornell's coach!!
viper

Post by viper »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:24 am
Good to hear.

DocBarrister 8-)
Awesome. Can't wait to watch another year of poor fundamentals, poor defense and generally poor play.
And another year of Doc complaining about the non-agressive defense. :cry: :cry:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

viper wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:13 pm
steel_hop wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:24 am
Good to hear.

DocBarrister 8-)
And another year of Doc complaining about the non-agressive defense. :cry: :cry:
Not if you use the Ignore button

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”