Having fun with make believe AA's for 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Having fun with make believe AA's for 2020

Post by faircornell »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:05 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:37 am While I have no inside knowledge, my guess is that when you are the high scorer on the Canadian National Team as a college Sophomore that degrees of AA become less important.

My guess is that Teat was trying to get his team to Memorial Day weekend. That is a bigger goal and a more elusive one. Had he done that the honors would have followed.
Literally all these guys were trying to get their guys to Memorial Day weekend. They all wanna win. Teat is a fabulous player, but this narrative amongst Cornell fans that he and he alone was so benevolent and cared so much about winning in a way no one else ever has and therefore he wasn't as productive is silly. Teat was 11th in PPG last year, well behind Ament, Sowers, Spencer, etc. I'm presuming he was just as focused on trying to get to Memorial Day weekend last year and Cornell....missed the tournament.

Sowers, Ament, Gray, Wisnauskas, and on and on all care about winning and getting to MDW. Teat was not any less productive because he cared about winning more. Dude is awesome and if you want to argue him for 1st Team AA, that's awesome. But let's calm down with the hagiography. There are other amazing players too.
I can't disagree with any of your points. My key point was where I saw his primary focus.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:12 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:37 am While I have no inside knowledge, my guess is that when you are the high scorer on the Canadian National Team as a college Sophomore that degrees of AA become less important.

My guess is that Teat was trying to get his team to Memorial Day weekend. That is a bigger goal and a more elusive one. Had he done that the honors would have followed.
Literally all these guys were trying to get their guys to Memorial Day weekend. They all wanna win. Teat is a fabulous player, but this narrative amongst Cornell fans that he and he alone was so benevolent and cared so much about winning in a way no one else ever has and therefore he wasn't as productive is silly. Teat was 11th in PPG last year, well behind Ament, Sowers, Spencer, etc. I'm presuming he was just as focused on trying to get to Memorial Day weekend last year and Cornell....missed the tournament.

Sowers, Ament, Gray, Wisnauskas, and on and on all care about winning and getting to MDW. Teat was not any less productive because he cared about winning more. Dude is awesome and if you want to argue him for 1st Team AA, that's awesome. But let's calm down with the hagiography. There are other amazing players too.
I can't disagree with any of your points. My key point was where I saw his primary focus.
What's important to understand is that Teat does not have to carry the burden of Cornell's offense on his shoulders, understands that, and plays accordingly. Sowers has taken one-third more shots than Teat and both have played five games. I watched the video of the Princeton - Virginia game and was struck by the difference in how the two operate within their respective offenses. One takes nearly every opportunity to initiate something himself. The other lets the offense play out knowing that his offense can put seventeen goals on the board with him having one goal and one assist. As Paul Carcaterra said during the 2018 Ivy League tournament championship game, "Teat lets the game come to him."

Sowers is an amazing talent, and he's awakened a slumbering Princeton program. But his situation is different from Teat's, and the latter's contributions and value to the team shouldn't be judged by numbers alone.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

Gobigred wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:23 am
faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:12 pm

What's important to understand is that Teat does not have to carry the burden of Cornell's offense on his shoulders, understands that, and plays accordingly. Sowers has taken one-third more shots than Teat and both have played five games. I watched the video of the Princeton - Virginia game and was struck by the difference in how the two operate within their respective offenses. One takes nearly every opportunity to initiate something himself. The other lets the offense play out knowing that his offense can put seventeen goals on the board with him having one goal and one assist. As Paul Carcaterra said during the 2018 Ivy League tournament championship game, "Teat lets the game come to him."

Sowers is an amazing talent, and he's awakened a slumbering Princeton program. But his situation is different from Teat's, and the latter's contributions and value to the team shouldn't be judged by numbers alone.
I think almost all reasonable fans would agree Teat and Sowers are two of the very best in the game. I don't worry about deciding who's best b/c it's splitting hairs. I enjoy watching both because of those differences you highlighted. Teat is so damn crafty and skilled. Sowers is almost scientific with how he attacks a defense with his dodges and COD. Both have tremendous vision. Both carry themselves like true program ambassadors. Hope we get to see them both again in Ivies next year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1st would’ve partly been selected by team success. So I think Sowers is a lock even if they took a few Ls in the IVYs, Brown beating UVA took that win down a notch and beating Hop is about the same as beating Hobart.

It’s possible Teat would’ve been second team if Cornell had fallen off later in season (say they take Ls to Syracuse, Yale and Penn and are 3rd in Ivy tourney) or maybe UNC loses to GTown and doesn’t do so well in ACCs then gray drops to 2nd team but it seems like top 4 were in whatever order Sowers, Teat, Gray and Ament.

Nobody cares about HMs but think Hobart might’ve had 1-2 (Holden, Knox) but was hopeful Holden might’ve slipped into a 3rd spot. Showed well vs Syracuse, was at 20,8 through 5 (5.6/gm) and didn’t play hardly at all in second half of first couple of games, would’ve racked up like 75+ points being the focus of other defenses (remains sched was RoMo, MSM, SHU, Cornell, LIU, Bryant, Merrimack & Wagner before conf playoffs, some leaky defenses in there) and at this stage would’ve been more deserving than Asher Nolting if team success were considered as it almost always is for these.

But doesn’t matter, his senior year is lost so it will be up to Knox, and maybe Ryan Archer (7,11 theough 5, 43pts as a soph, was HS Co CNY POY and IL inside Top 60 or so HS recruits so had that “pedigree/blessing” from parts of the media for them to carry confirmation bias with that crew).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Laxrat120

Post by Laxrat120 »

Hated what CollegeCrosse posted decided to make my own. I watched basically every game and have a great sense of the game. I would love to hear thoughts. Most people I've showed this to said it was very accurate. Thanks Guys!
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 2.22.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 2.22.33 PM.png (84.28 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
molo

Post by molo »

IL has a women's list. I guess they will post a men's list soon.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

No Tewaaraton for 2020 season.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Laxrat120 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm Hated what CollegeCrosse posted decided to make my own. I watched basically every game and have a great sense of the game. I would love to hear thoughts. Most people I've showed this to said it was very accurate. Thanks Guys!
Looks good for Maryland players
Last edited by AreaLax on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Laxrat120 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm I watched basically every game and have a great sense of the game.
You watched "basically every game" and came to the conclusion Costabile was still a 2nd team AA this season? 10 goals through five games on a 24% shooting percentage, had been pretty quiet all year after the first game against Cleveland State. In the last four games against good competition he shot 6/34 (17%). Not 2nd team AA numbers. Not to mention Notre Dame was 2-3. Putting him in that spot suggests you're relying on past performance rather than what was in front of you this season. Also very strange that you "hated" College Crosse's list considering yours isn't a whole lot different.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I watched basically every game and have a great sense of the game.

Most people I've showed this to said it was very accurate.

That list of yours is yuuuge. Very bigly.
Laxrat120

Post by Laxrat120 »

Costabile draws so much attention. He started slow but the kid is still incredible I don’t think anyone under him is better than him
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Georgetown with 3 All Americans seems dubious, considering their competition was Layafette, UMBC, Fairfield, Mt St Mary's, Bellarmine and Towson. Two first teamers on defense for the Hoyas against that schedule, while a guy like Brett Makar starred against High Point, Penn, Villanova, Richmond and Notre Dame (and he shut out Navy!) while only an HM.

Oh well, makes for good conversation in a time that needs any sort of healthy diversion. And yes, I know why Navy scored no goals against MD.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:24 pm Georgetown with 3 All Americans seems dubious, considering their competition was Layafette, UMBC, Fairfield, Mt St Mary's, Bellarmine and Towson. Two first teamers on defense for the Hoyas against that schedule, while a guy like Brett Makar starred against High Point, Penn, Villanova, Richmond and Notre Dame (and he shut out Navy!) while only an HM.

Oh well, makes for good conversation in a time that needs any sort of healthy diversion. And yes, I know why Navy scored no goals against MD.
QOC matters, but Gibson Smith of GTown had 24 GBs and 7 CTs; Makar had 10 and 3. And while Makar had some good games, wouldn't say he "starred" against Nova; Keegan Khan had 6 points against him. He had an equal # of strong games to less than stellar ones, he did very well against Notre Dame and Kavanagh and Richmond and Lanchbury; less so against Nova and Khan and Albany and Tehoka. Even if the competition wasn't great for Georgetown, Smith shut all his guys down and also, last year against a full schedule against Towson, Denver, Loyola, Yale; he had 90 GBs and 29 CTs and matched-up well on top defenders. The dude is a stud.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:46 pm
keno in reno wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:24 pm Georgetown with 3 All Americans seems dubious, considering their competition was Layafette, UMBC, Fairfield, Mt St Mary's, Bellarmine and Towson. Two first teamers on defense for the Hoyas against that schedule, while a guy like Brett Makar starred against High Point, Penn, Villanova, Richmond and Notre Dame (and he shut out Navy!) while only an HM.

QOC matters, but Gibson Smith of GTown had 24 GBs and 7 CTs; Makar had 10 and 3. And while Makar had some good games, wouldn't say he "starred" against Nova; Keegan Khan had 6 points against him. He had an equal # of strong games to less than stellar ones, he did very well against Notre Dame and Kavanagh and Richmond and Lanchbury; less so against Nova and Khan and Albany and Tehoka. Even if the competition wasn't great for Georgetown, Smith shut all his guys down and also, last year against a full schedule against Towson, Denver, Loyola, Yale; he had 90 GBs and 29 CTs and matched-up well on top defenders. The dude is a stud.
Both great players. Hard enough to compare players after a full season, so trying to do an AA list after 5 games against completely disparate schedules is a joke. But it's all we got now so it's at least interesting.

To that end, Georgetown getting 3 players on an AA list seems ridiculous knowing that if they played a schedule like Maryland's (Penn, Villanova, ND, UVA, UNC, Penn State, Ohio State, and what used to be Johns Hopkins plus at least 1 more top Big Ten team) they would likely be a .500 team at best and not have 3 All Americans. It's not just Maryland as a comparison....other top programs have similar gauntlet schedules.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I was surprised Tre LeClaire was not at least HM. He had 34 points in a tough 5-2 OSU schedule with at least one quality win and no bad losses. I wonder if the USILA will post a team. I assume that he would be included.
Last edited by faircornell on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Laxrat120 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm Hated what CollegeCrosse posted decided to make my own. I watched basically every game and have a great sense of the game. I would love to hear thoughts. Most people I've showed this to said it was very accurate. Thanks Guys!
Probably the best of these I have seen so far. Feel like Nichtern may be deserving of a spot somewhere, but Army had a pretty easy schedule (granted a lot of these teams did early on). Also feel like Porter for cuse may have deserved an AA spot but the goalie AAs get super crowded.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Laxrat,
You did great. I think all of your picks made the IL list, although somewhat jumbled. I declare the same accolades with my 3/22 post. :P
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

faircornell wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 pm I was surprised Tre LeClaire was not at least HM. He had 34 points in a tough 5-2 OSU schedule with at least one quality win and no bad losses. I wonder if the USILA will post a team. I assume that he would bet included.
I agree. Possibly the best shooter in the game. Was a man vs boys at times vs good competition. Looks like he is coming back.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”