Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

Post by ardilla secreta »

old salt wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm Nursing my pit bull Petey through surgery post op. Had surgery a wk ago Thurs, came home Mon. Had 12" incision in front of throat for surgery to repair Laryngl Paralysis -- partial paralysis of the larynx, would have eventually resulted in suffocation, if not treated. The procedure tie's back 1/2 of the larynx muscles which serve as a flap covering the wind pipe when swallowing. 10% get aspirational pneumonia immediately post op -- he did, requiring 2 days extra hospitilization on IV's.

Petey's home with me now, doing well, but getting 17 pills a day down his gullet is an ordeal for both of us. He's extorting me for food. Turns his nose up at every possible dog food combo, but eagerly accepts roasted chicken & bread dipped in the juices. If I won't eat it, he refuses.
His dog park posse is eagerly awaiting his return in a couple weeks (dogs don't have to socially distance).

Caring for Petey is a welcome distraction & gives me something to do while hunkered down at home.
Our dogs & cats are enjoying all the quality time. No time to worry or feel sorry for ourselves.
You named your dog Petey? You have to be joking. What about Horatio, Halsey, Farragut, Monitor, Nautilus, Jimmy (Lewis)?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Many of us are going to be going man-on-coronavirus soon (if not already), so let us get our pep going with a video from Marcus Nimbler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3UJ_G7XLu8
Live Free or Die!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Greatest team of all time.

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 pm Nursing my pit bull Petey through surgery post op. Had surgery a wk ago Thurs, came home Mon. Had 12" incision in front of throat for surgery to repair Laryngl Paralysis -- partial paralysis of the larynx, would have eventually resulted in suffocation, if not treated. The procedure tie's back 1/2 of the larynx muscles which serve as a flap covering the wind pipe when swallowing. 10% get aspirational pneumonia immediately post op -- he did, requiring 2 days extra hospitilization on IV's.

Petey's home with me now, doing well, but getting 17 pills a day down his gullet is an ordeal for both of us. He's extorting me for food. Turns his nose up at every possible dog food combo, but eagerly accepts roasted chicken & bread dipped in the juices. If I won't eat it, he refuses.
His dog park posse is eagerly awaiting his return in a couple weeks (dogs don't have to socially distance).

Caring for Petey is a welcome distraction & gives me something to do while hunkered down at home.
Our dogs & cats are enjoying all the quality time. No time to worry or feel sorry for ourselves.
You named your dog Petey? You have to be joking. What about Horatio, Halsey, Farragut, Monitor, Nautilus, Jimmy (Lewis)?
.:lol:. ...it's the name he came with when I started to foster him. He was rescued from a horrible situation in B'more by a courageous young lady who is this gentleman's daughter.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 am
Brooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 pm
Say, I just heard something on the radio - there are reports of people engaging in "stress eating". That is, they are getting so antsy and food at home is so readily available, that they are snacking away like crazy. Anybody else having this problem?
YES!!!
Nope! Opposite issue. Down ten pounds since the start, and 40 lbs down on the year.

Crazy, right?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Congrats, that's a pretty big deal, bet it's a whole lot easier tying your shoes these days.
Crazy? Nope, weight loss is a head game, once you tune in you're good to go, any "diet" will work.
Good news for you is, you don't have to get a new wardrobe, those overalls should give you a plus or minus 40-50 lbs and still fit reasonably well. ;)

I went on a crazy little binge decades back and put on 50 lbs, out of chatacter for me and I couldn't stand it.
Lost it pretty quickly once I decided to put an end to that. I'm lucky in that I always enjoyed working out, a little exercise and discipline keeps the pounds away. Stay tuned in and you'll get to where you want to get, it's a real game changer on a number of different levels. No Twinkies for you.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:56 pm

Nope! Opposite issue. Down ten pounds since the start, and 40 lbs down on the year.

Crazy, right?

👏 👏 Kudos! 👏 👏
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

you tube channel presenting box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIujbV6OwLw

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Had a catch with my son in the front yard yesterday. That was the first time in a long time. Memorable. He has gone a long way with those tosses in the yard. A neighbor walked by and said "just like old times"..... Enjoy life's little pleasures folks.
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ that's what is rightfully called "quality time" 👏

------------------------------

As for me, took yet another trip down nostalgia lane. One in which it was readily confirmed that the Yankees are the team of the Century:

And I baked a muffin loaf which I will save for tomorrow's breakfast.

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Say, I just heard something on the radio - there are reports of people engaging in "stress eating". That is, they are getting so antsy and food at home is so readily available, that they are snacking away like crazy. Anybody else having this problem?
YES!!!

Crazy, right?
Decrease in “empty” calories because your drinking spirits taste much better than your cleaning ones.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:00 pm Had a catch with my son in the front yard yesterday. That was the first time in a long time. Memorable. He has gone a long way with those tosses in the yard. A neighbor walked by and said "just like old times"..... Enjoy life's little pleasures folks.
Amen!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Nigel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 pm Also played HVAC guy and replaced the gas valve on the hot water heater, plus a tank flush. T'row maybe rotate the tires on the car. Feeling very handyman-ish.
yep- im doing this kinda thing too (because the golf course is closed). i've got a few projects going, i'll meet you over in the advice thread!
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

YES!!!

Crazy, right?
I’ve been losing some weight because I used to go out for lunch 3-5 times a week. Now it’s modest meals at home.

Toothpick inventory took less time than expected. I used to live on the 13th floor on Rittenhouse Square, so my garden was just a half dozen plants. Now I’m in a bungalow in the city of Buffalo and have about 80 indoor plants which includes about 12 air plants and two new variegated gingers which are stunning. The repotting, trimming, fertilizing and water keeps me busy. I also have become adept at creating a nice garden in the front of my house and in the back with mostly perennials including 5 milkweeds which brings in the monarchs. Keeping a watchful eye on the over 250 tulips, daffodils and croci so that the rabbits don’t turn the tulips into a salad bar. Will be turning a portion of my backyard into a 10’x10’ raised garden. Just set up my big cement fountain. The one that the birds fail to realize isn’t a lavatory. I’ve turned into a Mr Wilson. I should change the name of my cat to Fremont.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Damn, a s, color me impressed, sounds super nice. Think you've got the bird thing backwards though, you're the one who doesn't realize it's a bird lavatory.
If you're starting your plants from seed in the raised bed, this is a pretty good place to shop for seeds.
https://homegrowncannabisco.com/
I'd stay away from the Gorilla Glue.
;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Nigel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 pm Also played HVAC guy and replaced the gas valve on the hot water heater, plus a tank flush. T'row maybe rotate the tires on the car. Feeling very handyman-ish.
Tip of the hat to you Nigel. But remember it is called a water heater, not a Hot Water Heater. The water is cold when it enters....it’ll provide you street cred when talking about. Congrats on the job!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Yankee power!

So great to reminisce. What a team!

And, just as I promised myself, I completed re-reading Moby Dick. What a book!

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:09 pm
Tip of the hat to you Nigel. But remember it is called a water heater, not a Hot Water Heater. The water is cold when it enters....it’ll provide you street cred when talking about. Congrats on the job!
Good to know for my next trip up to HEP! Thx!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
njbill

Post by njbill »

youth, so do you get more street cred if you call it a cold water heater? 😀
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Living in ADK Park, there's an abundance of hiking trails and day-trip mountains to climb, so that is a daily routine.

The balance of time is spent keeping my teenage daughter on task, no easy feat... she's an AA... made the All Attitude team here at home this past year. She's doing her school work via internet with video conferences, which under the circumstances, is pretty cool.

It goes against every grain of my old school disposition but we're installing an XBox for her today. Damn... read a book!, make some art!, take a hike!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”