All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:33 am I will take my own advice.

Abbott has in a matter of one month created a (so far) 100% reliable, 5-minute test for Coronavirus, and they will roll it out by April 1 with 50,000 units.

Private enterprise always wins. This thing will be beaten back quicker than the worry warts are posting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-anywhere
That is great news. It should help this Spring and we will be much better prepared if it re-emerges.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:29 am
6ftstick wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:28 am So Italys death rate is over 10%

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

How can that be when we have this idiot Trump in charge?

Read the last two pages of this thread. The twitter feed from Seacoaster is particularly revealing

Trump Trump Trump Trump............
Last week it was 1.2%
As usual SFB has the wrong interpretation. What is the number in NOLA, Washington, Vermont, etc? THE PLACES THAT HAVENT BEEN TESTED while all the resource goes to NY?? Even NY testing has been deteriorating. All the 1.6% US number means is the number of infections is likely twice the official count in the US.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:40 am

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Read the last two pages of this thread. The twitter feed from Seacoaster is particularly revealing

Last week it was 1.2%
As usual SFB has the wrong interpretation. What is the number in NOLA, Washington, Vermont, etc? THE PLACES THAT HAVENT BEEN TESTED while all the resource goes to NY?? Even NY testing has been deteriorating. All the 1.6% US number means is the number of infections is likely twice the official count in the US.
Which reduces the lethality percentage by even more.
runrussellrun

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by runrussellrun »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:19 am
6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:02 pm All day I've posted criminally negligent behavior from liberal democrats—Mayors, City Council Members, Directors of Public Health—encouraging participation in parades, mardi gras and New years celebrations in February and March. In major densely populated cities across America.
Because Trump's federal agencies told them it was fine to do so.

TRUMP and his advisors got the intelligence briefings (which he ignored), not the mayors and governors.
6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:02 pm Bupkis in response from the left.
Earlier I posted the quote from the Mayor of New Orleans in which she said that the FBI and DHS told her to go right ahead with Mardi Gras. THAT was a response. Not the one you wanted, because the truth (that your Dear Leader is an incompetent moron) upsets you.
According to JHU72....the WORLD knew of this problem in early January. the WORLD

You live you life based on what politicians "tell you". :lol:
Last edited by runrussellrun on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:42 am

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
What I don’t understand is our ratio of deaths vs recoveries. I haven’t tracked it daily but I believe it is getting better. I also don’t know how people that are dying but have not been tested are counted?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:48 am
6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:02 pm All day I've posted criminally negligent behavior from liberal democrats—Mayors, City Council Members, Directors of Public Health—encouraging participation in parades, mardi gras and New years celebrations in February and March. In major densely populated cities across America.

TRUMP and his advisors got the intelligence briefings (which he ignored), not the mayors and governors.
Earlier I posted the quote from the Mayor of New Orleans in which she said that the FBI and DHS told her to go right ahead with Mardi Gras. THAT was a response. Not the one you wanted, because the truth (that your Dear Leader is an incompetent moron) upsets you.
According to JHU72....the WORLD knew of this problem in early January. the WORLD

The virus emerged in Nov./Dec. 2019 but scientists had been modeling this type of pandemic for some time. We were just slow to roll out or did not have a plan. In business, it is called a Business Continuity Plan. A real executive would have understood the importance of it and worked in earnest to catch up, if the contingency was not fleshed out. We wasted what little head start we had.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

A word from my musician friend in Detroit:

Hang in there NYC and everyone else getting hammered with this. I expect most or all of the country will get their turn. Not to mention the rest of the world. My heart goes out to the Healthcare workers most of all. The strain and scale is unprecedented in living memory.

Guy has been battling for 11 days and is hopeful. A good guy. I hope he makes it. I think he has a chance.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:50 am

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
What I don’t understand is our ratio of deaths vs recoveries. I haven’t tracked it daily but I believe it is getting better. I also don’t know how people that are dying but have not been tested are counted?
Agreed. All we know, with a small margin of uncertainty is positive cases....we have no clue how recovery rates are tracked and we have no clue if the death numbers are specific to those that have already had a positive CV19 test. I have been trying to correlate seasonal CDC website flu activity with CV19 to see if there is commonality of clear outliers. As you and I discussed last week.....is there a mortality test to confirm death was indeed CV19.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:33 am I will take my own advice.

Abbott has in a matter of one month created a (so far) 100% reliable, 5-minute test for Coronavirus, and they will roll it out by April 1 with 50,000 units.

Private enterprise always wins. This thing will be beaten back quicker than the worry warts are posting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-anywhere
Yup........the money is on it's way. (did the MIC get MORE money ???) Look at the front page of the TAATS publications......the trillions isn't enough.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
Yes. If treated with modern medicine "standard of care"!!!! The cases aren't being treated very well. The best evidence now suggests the actual death rate, everywhere is in the range of .6 to 1. This is the death rate under circumstances where modern medicine can be brought to bear. This breaks down when the statistics are low and when the healthcare system is overrun. The death rate calculated by Deaths per Infection is a useless indicator for anything other than estimating how bad you are undercounting while the plague is ragging. When it is all done, it is a measure of how badly you have done. It isn't over!

THE ONLY NUMBER YOU CAN TRUST CURRENTLY IS DEATHS PER CAPITA. The only number where numerator and denominator is known. Everything else is suspect and you have to be careful how you interpret it.
Last edited by jhu72 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:53 am

The virus emerged in Nov./Dec. 2019 but scientists had been modeling this type of pandemic for some time. We were just slow to roll out or did not have a plan. In business, it is called a Business Continuity Plan. A real executive would have understood the importance of it and worked in earnest to catch up, if the contingency was not fleshed out. We wasted what little head start we had.
Real executives.......not sure what didn't ...or did happen....it relevant. Or not......Swine flu tracking, methods, plans.......

Fox-lots of religious ads. strange.
MSNBC-running only SELF promo ads, mostly. strang
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:58 am

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
Agreed. All we know, with a small margin of uncertainty is positive cases....we have no clue how recovery rates are tracked and we have no clue if the death numbers are specific to those that have already had a positive CV19 test. I have been trying to correlate seasonal CDC website flu activity with CV19 to see if there is commonality of clear outliers. As you and I discussed last week.....is there a mortality test to confirm death was indeed CV19.
I am not sure if they have a surplus of testing kits to waste on undiagnosed people. Tissue samples may be collected, saved and then tested when there is time and resources. If so, you will see an upward adjustment to the mortality rate as those would all be 100%.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:05 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:53 am

Real executives.......not sure what didn't ...or did happen....it relevant. Or not......Swine flu tracking, methods, plans.......

Fox-lots of religious ads. strange.
MSNBC-running only SELF promo ads, mostly. strang
We know we wasted time. People don’t make bad decisions on purpose. You don’t always know until hindsight. We made a tactical error.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:07 am

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
I am not sure if they have a surplus of testing kits to waste on undiagnosed people. Tissue samples may be collected, saved and then tested when there is time and resources. If so, you will see an upward adjustment to the mortality rate as those would all be 100%.
Point being....how do we know, with certainly, the deaths are directly attributed to CV19?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Bart

Post by Bart »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 am

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
Point being....how do we know, with certainly, the deaths are directly attributed to CV19?
You don't. I would think in the end it will be an estimate, just like the flu.
Typical Lax Dad

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:19 am

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
Yes. And collecting samples from symptomatic people that died but were not tested will help in the accuracy of the forecast. Statistical sampling is away of everyday life.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
If it looks like CV19, it is counted as CV19. There is enough clinical distinction that other causes aren't being called CV19 very often. These numbers are on the fly. When this is over, public health departments will review all the cases and try to make a decision as to whether it was a good call or not. The numbers will be corrected as necessary (I would expect not by much). The antibody tests will be a big help as the infections blow up. I would not worry about this issue at this time. Some mistakes are undoubtedly made in COD, but they aren't significant given the numbers.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am
Bart wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:19 am

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

Last week it was 1.2%
Yes. And collecting samples from symptomatic people that died but were not tested will help in the accuracy of the forecast. Statistical sampling is away of everyday life.
So tie this together with JHU's input from earlier this morning, we are quite possibly just slightly above the seasonal flu death rate %.
jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:03 am Yes. If treated with modern medicine "standard of care"!!!! The cases aren't being treated very well. The best evidence now suggests the actual death rate, everywhere is in the range of .6 to 1. This is the death rate under circumstances where modern medicine can be brought to bear. This breaks down when the statistics are low and when the healthcare system is overrun. The death rate calculated by Deaths per Infection is a useless indicator for anything other than estimating how bad you are undercounting while the plague is ragging. When it is all done, it is a measure of how badly you have done. It isn't over!
So we know Seasonal flu adds measurable burden to hospitals and medical facilities each year, and then you add in one more fast moving virus that was not accounted for, and yet it is still currently far less than seasonal flu by total numbers....here we are. As JHU says in the end...it simply means our medical infrastructure has been running just below the redline. Able to manage some the daily ups and down but not consistent upward medical admissions.
~Livy

Bart

Post by Bart »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:35 am
6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 pm Oh dear oh dear can't have this kind of stuff happening

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/18/bre ... dtrial-io/

March 27, 2020 Update 9: BREAKING: French researchers just completed new additional study on 80 patients, results show a combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin to be effective in treating COVID-19 patients. The team found that, by administering hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin, they were able to observe an improvement in all cases, except in one patient who arrived with an advanced form, who was over the age of 86, and in whom the evolution was irreversible.
What about iodine tablets ? Used to purify water.....would that work, it dumped tonic water. Being serious
Good question. I would think it would be worth looking into. As an antimalarial when it is changed into elemental iodine in the blood stream it is suggested it has antibacterial, antiviral properties.

I also really wonder how chloroquine is working in this treatment. Asithromycin is an antibiotic that would help with the secondary pheumonia, not the primary, makes good sense. But chloroquine acts by interfering with hemoglobin metabolism in the food vacuole of the parasite resulting in the build up of heme which is toxic. I have no idea why it would play a role in viral replication. I don't care either.........if it works.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:35 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:35 am
6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 pm Oh dear oh dear can't have this kind of stuff happening

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/18/bre ... dtrial-io/

March 27, 2020 Update 9: BREAKING: French researchers just completed new additional study on 80 patients, results show a combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin to be effective in treating COVID-19 patients. The team found that, by administering hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin, they were able to observe an improvement in all cases, except in one patient who arrived with an advanced form, who was over the age of 86, and in whom the evolution was irreversible.
What about iodine tablets ? Used to purify water.....would that work, it dumped tonic water. Being serious
Good question. I would think it would be worth looking into. As an antimalarial when it is changed into elemental iodine in the blood stream it is suggested it has antibacterial, antiviral properties.

I also really wonder how chloroquine is working in this treatment. Asithromycin is an antibiotic that would help with the secondary pheumonia, not the primary. But chloroquine acts by interfering with hemoglobin metabolism in the food vacuole of the parasite resulting in the build up of heme which is toxic. I have no idea why it would play a role in viral replication. I don't care either.........if it works.
Impressive post Bart!

Return to “POLITICS”