All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:59 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 am Affirmatively told then it was " fine to do so " ? Specifics plz. CDC recommendation ? Link ?
Below is my earlier post. Try to keep up.
CU77 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 pm
New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said canceling or curtailing Mardi Gras was never considered. Federal agencies that are part of planning Mardi Gras every year — including the FBI and Homeland Security — did not raise concerns about the coronavirus, she said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
I already read it, including the parts you elected to leave out. They only asked the Feds (FBI & DHS) about the terrorist threat, even though Trump (& Italy) had already banned flights from China on Jan 31. Weak sauce blame shifting. It's a city & state decision to make.

Just like NYC's non-decisions on their large public events after the flight ban was in place & hot spots were blooming in WA, CA & Italy.
There was little worry during the February festivities about the new virus that had infected a few dozen people in other parts of the country. The city's top health official believed the flu "is far more dangerous right now than the coronavirus," she told the Times-Picayune/New Orleans Advocate newspaper.

Federal officials who walked the parade route with members of her administration were focused on terrorist attacks.

There might have been other factors, too, said Joe Kanter, the state’s medical director for the region that includes New Orleans. The city’s robust cruise industry and many conventions and gatherings were filling New Orleans with visitors just as the coronavirus arrived.
Last edited by old salt on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:19 am They only asked the Feds (FBI & DHS) about the terrorist threat, even though Trump had already banned flights from China. Weak sauce blame shifting. It's a city & state decision to make.
Oh please. Do you really believe that the locals are supposed to think of every possibility, and if they forget one, the feds (who are actually supposed to briefed on national threats) shouldn't mention it? That's completely absurd.

Yes, it's a local call, but the locals didn't get the info they needed that the feds had.

Either the feds (led by Trump's hand-picked sycophant cronies) were incompetent, or they didn't want to go against their skies-are-blue Dear Leader.
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:19 am They only asked the Feds (FBI & DHS) about the terrorist threat, even though Trump (& Italy) had already banned flights from China on Jan 31. Weak sauce blame shifting. It's a city & state decision to make.
Oh please. Do you really believe that the locals are supposed to think of every possibility, and if they forget one, the feds (who are actually supposed to briefed on national threats) shouldn't mention it? That's completely absurd.

Yes, it's a local call, but the locals didn't get the info they needed that the feds had.

Either the feds (led by Trump's hand-picked sycophant cronies) were incompetent, or they didn't want to go against their skies-are-blue Dear Leader.
What info did the Feds withold ? I told my wife on 15 Feb she should not count on flying home from FL on 18 Mar, just based on what I saw on the news. The Gubmunt didn't need to warn me. Rather than attend live events, I watched the webstream of Navy's final 5 hockey games & 3 home lax games.
What's NYC & NY's excuse ? They're supposed to be the smartest people on the planet & masters of the universe. What about all the Wall St global trader geniuses ? Were they sounding an alarm ? Was Burr the only one who dumped stocks ?
The partisan blame game is reserved for Trump. It's CYA for all the state & local pols.
Burr rcvd his intel briefing on 12 Feb, Mardi Gras began on 25 Feb.
Imagine the outcry if Trump had cx'd Mardi Gras at that late date.
calourie

Post by calourie »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:36 am
CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:19 am They only asked the Feds (FBI & DHS) about the terrorist threat, even though Trump (& Italy) had already banned flights from China on Jan 31. Weak sauce blame shifting. It's a city & state decision to make.

What info did the Feds withold ? I told my wife on 15 Feb she should not count on flying home from FL on 18 Mar, just based on what I saw on the news. The Gubmunt didn't need to warn me. Rather than attend live events, I watched the webstream of Navy's final 5 hockey games & 3 home lax games.
What's NYC & NY's excuse ? They're supposed to be the smartest people on the planet & masters of the universe. What about all the Wall St global trader geniuses ? Were they sounding an alarm ? Was Burr the only one who dumped stocks ?
The partisan blame game is reserved for Trump. It's CYA for all the state & local pols.
Burr rcvd his intel briefing on 12 Feb, Mardi Gras began on 25 Feb.
Imagine the outcry if Trump had cx'd Mardi Gras at that late date.

Politicians all play "the buck stops with someone else game" when things go wrong, just as they like to claim as much credit as they can when things go right. It's hard to get reelected admitting YOU caused the apocalypse.
Trinity

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Trinity »

Don’t be a cutie pie. The buck stops in Trump’s pocket. Blame goes everywhere else. Trump doesn’t need Michigan this election. Put that woman in her place.

“General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!! @GeneralMotors @Ford”. DJT tweet.

Small problem. GM sold Lordstown. And they make cars. 140 parts from 14 countries in a ventilator.

It’s great to see the hospital ships arrive so quickly. BZ to the US Navy.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:45 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:38 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:01 am Is anyone surprised that the total # of cases is rising sharply. We were told to expect it as testing catches up. Dr Birx said the test results remain about 86% negative. As total US cases pass 100k, the mortality rate remains < 1.5 % (MSNBC @ 11pm : 1,573 fatalities / 100,993 confirmed cases)

Why is the NYC metro area such a hot spot ? One theory is the volume of intl travelers.
If that's the primary reason, you'd expect the DC metro area to be higher.
Something strange is going on in DC or with the released DC data. It has a high infections per capita and a remarkably low and strangely unchanging number of deaths per capita. Could be statistics, it is a small place and the number of deaths are small. You look at its infections per capita and it is 75% of Washington State, higher than Michigan, Illinois, Connecticut, Colorado, etc. Places with growing serious problems. It could be that it has outsized hospital space for a sub 1 million population. It is strange compared to other states.
N VA + MD's Mont/PG counties add only 561 cases & 5 deaths.

The growth in IL, MI, & LA is in urban centers. In CT, it's NYC commuter areas.
Was thinking it was a lack of hospitals in DC too... but that is an odd data blip.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 am
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:24 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm Neither ship has a medical staff. Salty? How long will that take to assemble?
Several weeks. Maybe longer. The Comfort's med staff is made up of E Coast Naval Reservists & active duty hospital staff from Walter Reed/Bethesda, Portsmouth Naval Hospital & Navy base clinics along the E coast. Complicating their recall Is the impact that depriving them will have on where they work, particularly those in civilian hospitals. The plan is for the Comfort & Mercy to provide extra capacity for non-COVID patients to free up beds in hospitals ashore.

I heard that Comfort will be underway in Apr. That's not unreasonable, going from "cold iron", torn apart for a planned maint period.
Sounds right (and thanks for the insight)...of course then the question becomes: Why wasn't this decision to go from "cold iron" made 3 weeks ago?
Do you know that it wasn't ? You think people inside DoD were not planning for contingencies ? Recalling the reservist med staff will likely be the long pole in the tent. Many will probably trickle in after the ship is pierside in NYC.

Don't expect you to have that answer, Salty.
I think we all know the answer, we were "fiddling".

Glad it's in motion now.
The Mercy arrived in LA Fri. The Comfort arrives in NYC on Mon.

Maybe Navy leadership wasn't fiddlin' after all.
Has the Javits Center started accepting patients yet ?
The Mercy & Comfort arrive fully staffed, ready to accept referrals.
To be clear, I have a lot of confidence in the capabilities of our military and their leadership, once given the green light. They can move quickly in an emergency. Wrote about the Army Corps of Engineers general for example. Right guy.

By "we" I meant the United States as personified at the top by Trump. He was "fiddling". That trickled down to all sorts of others who "fiddled"...didn't matter whether it was an R or D, any hesitation to react and prepare was deadly.

If you think the Navy was actually already in motion to be available fast, weeks before Trump gave the green light, because they didn't buy into the BS that this wasn't going to spread to overwhelming hospital systems, I'll be willing to believe that. Never wasn't.

Heck, that's what we would hope and expect.

What bothers me about all the non-stop pooh poohing of the seriousness of the pandemic is that we know for a certainty that health workers are dying. Not just folks who were half on their death bed, but young and middle aged workers with no underlying conditions.

And yet we're expecting them to go to work every day in the face of that.

And it ain't just in NYC that the overwhelming conditions have begun.

How much of a jerk does someone need to be to over and over again claim that caring about this reality is just some derangement about taking down Trump?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

On the question of density, etc...see Albany Georgia

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regiona ... aGEQDXSAN/
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The Mayor of Atlanta says the cases are undercounted and she can name at least 20 people she knows who already have it. Denial is not effective against this virus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 931740001/

Trump double-crosses Congress within hours. NY businessmen will recognize this with chagrin. He never changes.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

An update from the musician I know:

Day 11: Still no break in the fever here, and breathing has been labored since late this afternoon. Woke from a nap around 5 trying to catch my breath. It wasn't getting better, so I fired up the new nebulizer I was recommended to buy by a nurse relative with some saline solution. Didn't seem to help, hands and arms started tingling, and I started to really worry. Some of this could have been an anxiety attack, I don't know. I decided it was time to go to the hospital, despite the real horror stories I'm hearing from the ER workers I know the last few days. So I call the COVID hotline again. By this time I'm in the car and the colder outside air seemed to help calm the breathing issues down. I was told because I could still hold a conversation on the phone without continuously gasping I should not go to the hospital; call Dr. instead and see if they'll prescribe something for the nebulizer. Get ahold of my Dr and he says go to the hospital or an urgent care. No script. By this time I'm only mildly short of breath again so I call the urgent care I usually go to. They are not seeing anyone who thinks they have COVID. They give me the number of another one nearby that is seeing COVID patients and closing in an hour (it's 7 PM by this time). Their phone line is busy multiple times so I just start driving after grabbing a scarf to wrap around my face to protect others. I get there and they have signs all over the windows that say don't come in the door if you have a fever and respiratory issues, call us. I do, the line is open now, but they have no more appointments available for tonight. I can wait until tomorrow or go to the hospital across the street. No way.

Hospitals in the Detroit and Ann Arbor area are already overwhelmed with COVID cases. I can't give a lot of detail to protect my sources of information, but these places have had most regular patients pushed out so that multiple floors can be set up for COVID patients. The one hospital I have most insight into is about 3/4 full of COVID already. Most cases are not confirmed because of the testing situation, so the numbers being reported are likely WAY below reality. The numbers of presumed cases in this one hospital are equal a large portion of what is being reported for the whole county, and there are other bigger hospitals very nearby, suggesting that large numbers of presumed cases are being kept from our sight. I suspect the real number of cases requiring hospitalization is significantly higher than any media is reporting. PPE is almost unobtanium, and babies are being born on the other side of a door from a room full of virus patients. In short, the system is collapsing.

I'll refrain from commenting on the practices and economic philosophies that I believe have put us here. Whatever the reason for our gross unpreparedness, our day of reckoning has come. Be safe out there. Yours in love and music--
“I wish you would!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

So Italys death rate is over 10%

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

How can that be when we have this idiot Trump in charge?

Read the last two pages of this thread. The twitter feed from Seacoaster is particularly revealing

Trump Trump Trump Trump............
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:51 am How much of a jerk does someone need to be to over and over again claim that caring about this reality is just some derangement about taking down Trump?

Yet the very first post by Trinity above is just more of Trump is a drumpf idiocy.

I understand perfectly well why Old Salt and others thinks TDS wrecks people's minds and makes them incapable of rational dialogue. You know why? Because it does.

This thread should be about the disease, cures, updates, information.... What is it instead? Too often a monotonous Trump-bashing wreck of uselessness. If some of your fellow travelers in the anti-Trump Fanlax world would spend more time discussing the virus and less time raising the Trump is drumpf idiocy, I doubt Old Salt would need to raise TDS at all. Look in the mirror, stare back at yourself and if you can't honestly say that you're perfect, then you have a right to judge the person standing beside you.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:28 am So Italys death rate is over 10%

Spains is around 8%

France is 6%

US is 1.6%

How can that be when we have this idiot Trump in charge?

Read the last two pages of this thread. The twitter feed from Seacoaster is particularly revealing

Trump Trump Trump Trump............
Last week it was 1.2%. Everyone is hoping it is as low as possible.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 am The Mayor of Atlanta says the cases are undercounted and she can name at least 20 people she knows who already have it. Denial is not effective against this virus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 931740001/

Trump double-crosses Congress within hours. NY businessmen will recognize this with chagrin. He never changes.
Most places the under count is way more than a factor of 2, more like 4 to 5. There are only a handful of locals in the US where you can trust the infection count.

My wife just headed out for two local hospitals. She is rounding, taking care of newborns, all day today and tomorrow. Her biggest concern is not the patients, but other healthcare workers.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 pm Over 17,000 new cases, and over 300 new deaths (a new U.S. record, I believe).

The pandemic isn’t even close to slowing down in Trump’s catastrophic America.

DocBarrister :|
Roughly 4% of the deaths in the US in the last day due to COVID-19. Was more like 3.5% the day before...
GB's, faceoffs and save percentage all increased as well........

If we are talking numbers, .....deaths.......the USA has well over TEN thousand more to go as compared to the swine flu.

But, we all know that the 2009 swine flu shut our country down. Nothing to see....move along. The money bill passed.

billy gates is giving medical/biological advise? What the heck does he know about virus? He isn't even a college grad.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:38 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:01 am Is anyone surprised that the total # of cases is rising sharply. We were told to expect it as testing catches up. Dr Birx said the test results remain about 86% negative. As total US cases pass 100k, the mortality rate remains < 1.5 % (MSNBC @ 11pm : 1,573 fatalities / 100,993 confirmed cases)

Why is the NYC metro area such a hot spot ? One theory is the volume of intl travelers.
If that's the primary reason, you'd expect the DC metro area to be higher.
Something strange is going on in DC or with the released DC data. It has a high infections per capita and a remarkably low and strangely unchanging number of deaths per capita. Could be statistics, it is a small place and the number of deaths are small. You look at its infections per capita and it is 75% of Washington State, higher than Michigan, Illinois, Connecticut, Colorado, etc. Places with growing serious problems. It could be that it has outsized hospital space for a sub 1 million population. It is strange compared to other states.
What is DC data?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I will take my own advice.

Abbott has in a matter of one month created a (so far) 100% reliable, 5-minute test for Coronavirus, and they will roll it out by April 1 with 50,000 units.

Private enterprise always wins. This thing will be beaten back quicker than the worry warts are posting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-anywhere
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 pm Oh dear oh dear can't have this kind of stuff happening

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/18/bre ... dtrial-io/

March 27, 2020 Update 9: BREAKING: French researchers just completed new additional study on 80 patients, results show a combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin to be effective in treating COVID-19 patients. The team found that, by administering hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin, they were able to observe an improvement in all cases, except in one patient who arrived with an advanced form, who was over the age of 86, and in whom the evolution was irreversible.
What about iodine tablets ? Used to purify water.....would that work, it dumped tonic water. Being serious
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:47 pm
Bandito wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:38 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 pm Over 17,000 new cases, and over 300 new deaths (a new U.S. record, I believe).

The pandemic isn’t even close to slowing down in Trump’s catastrophic America.

DocBarrister :|
Trump lives rent free in your head.
No, I live in yours.

Plenty of space ... open floor plan ... but lots of outdated fixtures.

DocBarrister ;)
Have you ever been decent to anyone in your life?

Return to “POLITICS”