All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

6ftstick

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by 6ftstick »

[/quote]

Except that New York’s surge in community spread began in a suburb of New York City, New Rochelle.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/new-y ... index.html

What the data suggests is that New York City’s surge of community spread was brought in through a suburb, New Rochelle, which has a tiny 4% Asian American population.

That makes sense as commuters into NYC are a prime vulnerable population with their close spacing in trains. Interestingly, there is a train from New Rochelle to NYC Grand Central Station every 30 minutes. From Grand Central, the virus could spread everywhere in the City.

So why focus on the Chinese Americans in NYC when the data suggests the community spread began in New Rochelle, where there is a small Asian American population?

That probably reflects the insidious racist effect of calling coronavirus a “Chinese virus.”

DocBarrister
[/quote]

Yep one guy in New Rochelle had more of an influence than:

There were around 20,000 people at the celebrations — on par with the crowd size in previous years, according to state Sen. John Liu.

“We have no confirmed cases in New York and we want people to know Chinatown is open and as vibrant as ever,” New York state Senator Brian Kavanagh said.

Reflects political correctness by "woke" liberal democrats.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:40 pm
Except that New York’s surge in community spread began in a suburb of New York City, New Rochelle.

What the data suggests is that New York City’s surge of community spread was brought in through a suburb, New Rochelle, which has a tiny 4% Asian American population.

That makes sense as commuters into NYC are a prime vulnerable population with their close spacing in trains. Interestingly, there is a train from New Rochelle to NYC Grand Central Station every 30 minutes. From Grand Central, the virus could spread everywhere in the City.

So why focus on the Chinese Americans in NYC when the data suggests the community spread began in New Rochelle, where there is a small Asian American population?

That probably reflects the insidious racist effect of calling coronavirus a “Chinese virus.”

DocBarrister
[/quote]

There were around 20,000 people at the celebrations — on par with the crowd size in previous years, according to state Sen. John Liu.

“We have no confirmed cases in New York and we want people to know Chinatown is open and as vibrant as ever,” New York state Senator Brian Kavanagh said.

[/quote]

Yeah ... since with this virus, “one guy” can spread the virus to 50 other people.

Why the apparent animosity towards Chinese Americans?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
Bart

Post by Bart »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:47 pm

DocBarrister

[/quote]

Yeah ... since with this virus, “one guy” can spread the virus to 50 other people.

[/quote]
That is an awefull big assumption. The first guy who tested positive for the virus and presumptive first person to get the virus by community spread. With all the people coming through the city on a daily basis, I find it hard to believe they can tell this with any realm of certainty you state here.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

house passes the relief bill. though, as usual, still some hurdles to jump.

stay safe everyone.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:02 pm house passes the relief bill. though, as usual, still some hurdles to jump.

stay safe everyone.

I think FanLax, InsideLacrosse, and USLacrosse should get the two Maryland senators to bring them some SBA aid from that bill. Not even kidding, btw.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Bart wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:01 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:47 pm

DocBarrister

[/quote]
That is an awefull big assumption. The first guy who tested positive for the virus and presumptive first person to get the virus by community spread. With all the people coming through the city on a daily basis, I find it hard to believe they can tell this with any realm of certainty you state here.
[/quote]

Absolutely. I can buy either argument, which says you can't really buy either as definitive truth. What I know is it was a human being, and ethnicity, race had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

The real question is, why NYC had no reported cases in the time frame? Lack of testing is the most likely answer.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

A perspective on one guy’s long term international supply chain and the impact of the “Chinese” virus.

“As most of our supply chain is overseas, we are a little bit more insulated. China factories were far away from the Wuhan epicenter and quite honestly, China has done a far better job controlling the spread because 1) they don’t have a pluralistic system and 2) they are not run by anti-science zealots. They are pragmatists in every sense of the word.”
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Doctors, nurses, and pilots are three such professions where their lack of fear in the face of danger seems incongruous with what we would see.

Without explanation, this article will make you proud to be an American:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/meet-the- ... ronavirus/
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:31 pm Doctors, nurses, and pilots are three such professions where their lack of fear in the face of danger seems incongruous with what we would see.

Without explanation, this article will make you proud to be an American:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/meet-the- ... ronavirus/
Thanks for posting that. My sister and niece are nurses. A parent of one of my son’s college teammates is a nurse. Just reached out to her yesterday just to check in. Those folks are at the front line.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:32 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:25 pm
Trinity wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:21 pm Saw someone opine that the only way now to get the South to buy-in to shelter in place is to have the college football coaches explain that if that action doesn’t happen now, there will no be games this fall.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!

Bless your hearts.

(also, we are a hospitable land and we welcome Yankees but not the freeloading kind, so please keep your high taxes and nanny state-itis in those absolutely god-awful miserable states you leave behind...one of the reasons you move to us, and never the other way around, is because we still act like America in the South! You Dems can woke yourselves to death for all I care, just not down here lol!!!!)
Uhhh, we don’t consider Florida part of the south in the south. I’ve had way too many wife’s family events who are the Furman College family, commissioned to print confederate money and the grandfather told me when I moved “son, right now you’re what we call a damn yankee. Maybe in 15-20yrs you can be just a yankee but we love you anyway” and I can assure you there’s a major, Major difference. They think of Florida as the “lost north”.

Sure the panhandle is a great place to see jean shorts and mullets but Florida kind of lives in its own place like Texas, also not a part of the south.

It’s true, college football moves the world in this region.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

We're number 1 in Confirmed Corona cases.

This is due to the High Amount of testing issued by Trump.
(A good thing to stop the spread)

Now the Left, who called him racist for a travel ban, is blaming Trump’s “poor leadership” for High Confirmed Cases.

They understand NOTHING
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:38 pm
Trinity wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:21 pm Saw someone opine that the only way now to get the South to buy-in to shelter in place is to have the college football coaches explain that if that action doesn’t happen now, there will no be games this fall.

Bless your hearts.

(also, we are a hospitable land and we welcome Yankees but not the freeloading kind, so please keep your high taxes and nanny state-itis in those absolutely god-awful miserable states you leave behind...one of the reasons you move to us, and never the other way around, is because we still act like America in the South! You Dems can woke yourselves to death for all I care, just not down here lol!!!!)
Uhhh, we don’t consider Florida part of the south in the south. I’ve had way too many wife’s family events who are the Furman College family, commissioned to print confederate money and the grandfather told me when I moved “son, right now you’re what we call a damn yankee. Maybe in 15-20yrs you can be just a yankee but we love you anyway” and I can assure you there’s a major, Major difference. They think of Florida as the “lost north”.

Sure the panhandle is a great place to see jean shorts and mullets but Florida kind of lives in its own place like Texas, also not a part of the south.

Florida is an inverted state - the farther north you wander the more Southern it gets (this is not original to me, btw). I lived for a number of years in Tallahassee (only about 15 miles to GA) and regularly visit a sister and parents in Palm Beach County. I can personally verify this...
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Bandito wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:54 pm We're number 1 in Confirmed Corona cases.

Now the Left, who called him racist for a travel ban, is blaming Trump’s “poor leadership” for High Confirmed Cases.

They understand NOTHING
You do realize that testing is inadequate in many parts of the country? We are still behind where we need to be with testing. Still don't know the actual depth of the current problem because of that.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

From Twitter:

FDNY EMS responded to more medical incidents on Tuesday than they ever had in the FDNY's history, a spokesperson told me.

Then they beat the record Wednesday. Then they beat the record again on Thursday.

https://t.co/ScZMQrtN5u
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Bandito wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:54 pm We're number 1 in Confirmed Corona cases.

They understand NOTHING
South Korea is testing 1 in every 170 people and their confirmed cases are flattening.

The US is testing 1 in every 1,090 people and our confirmed cases are ballooning.

If Trump had prepared us two months ago and gotten test manufacturing ramped up back then, we'd have High Amount of testing and Low Confirmed cases.

Do you understand that? That's poor leadership that you are admiring.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:01 pm If Trump had prepared us two months ago and gotten test manufacturing ramped up back then, we'd have High Amount of testing and Low Confirmed cases... That's poor leadership that you are admiring.
Two months ago would've been great but can be forgiven. Especially relative to other world leaders. The real issue is today and tomorrow. He's still hasn't embraced the reality of our situation. How can one lead when you can't accurately assess a situation.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:01 pm

They understand NOTHING
South Korea is testing 1 in every 170 people and their confirmed cases are flattening.

The US is testing 1 in every 1,090 people and our confirmed cases are ballooning.

If Trump had prepared us two months ago and gotten test manufacturing ramped up back then, we'd have High Amount of testing and Low Confirmed cases.

Do you understand that? That's poor leadership that you are admiring.
Orange man bad. Your TDS is ballooning by the second. Too bad Democrats wanted to build the wall and close the border. Oh wait!!!!
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:50 am

Spain is in serious trouble, but so is the United States.

New York has more cases than France, and Louisiana has more cases than Japan.

Complete failure by Donald Trump to contain this pandemic in the U.S.

DocBarrister :|

Donny Dump says he inherited a "mess", blames Obama for the state of unpreparedness, and refuses to take responsibility for anything. All this with a the national debt going ever upwards, the economy and stock market in decline, unemployment rising, with a plague menacing everyone here - yet his approval ratings continuing to climb. I guess if he brings Armageddon right wingers will insist that he actually is the Messiah.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm

They understand NOTHING
You do realize that testing is inadequate in many parts of the country? We are still behind where we need to be with testing. Still don't know the actual depth of the current problem because of that.
Yup. Rural America could be a ticking time bomb. Too little testing. You don't know somebody has it untill they show up at the hospital. They are starting to rollout more testing to places other than NYC, but not to rural areas.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:55 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:38 pm

Bless your hearts.

Florida is an inverted state - the farther north you wander the more Southern it gets (this is not original to me, btw). I lived for a number of years in Tallahassee (only about 15 miles to GA) and regularly visit a sister and parents in Palm Beach County. I can personally verify this...
Generally I know this, maybe the east coast little less so FE Jacksonville/Amelia vs Tallahassee/panhandle. Been in some small towns like Perry FL to see banks. It’s got its redneck quotient, but I doesnt have any of that “there’s a proper was to have a southern accent and then there’s a trailer park way to have an accent” old money southern culture which is why I think it’s distinguished.

(I’d rather be in the Tampa area than the Space Coast middle part of the state)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “POLITICS”